Who is on Thousand Greens? You like it?

3 hours ago, nugentd8 said:

Do people plan on still using TG now that they've moved to a subscription model?  I guess I struggle w/ the value proposition now that it's behind a paywall.

I do plan on signing up for at least a year I have played some great courses and met some great people through the site. I am a bit curious how many members will disappear with the subscription model and wonder if it will still be worth it. With the courses I've played through the site I feel like I owe them at least a year subscription. 

On 9/22/2022 at 2:10 PM, ButterCutter2 said:

my user level is Par, so $60 a year. have not signed up yet but likely will given how nominal the cost is. I struggle to understand how $5 a month is a problem for someone that's willing to pay private membership dues not to mention 3 figure  club guest fees 

Not saying I won't!  I actually think the structure makes sense.  It is quite complex though

On 9/22/2022 at 5:04 AM, nugentd8 said:

Do people plan on still using TG now that they've moved to a subscription model?  I guess I struggle w/ the value proposition now that it's behind a paywall.

I cancelled mine. I only had it for about a year and was never able to link up with anyone in my area - granted my club is not 1st or 2nd tier. When I traveled my messages went responded to. 

I have hosted 3 times and met 2 great guys. The 3rd one was a guy and his wife that wanted to play my club. Said they were both 8 handicap. Not that I care about your HC but what ended up happening is the husband was nowhere near a 8 guess 18 and wife hit multiple balls on every shot. Supposedly that's why they put three of them in a box I learned. One of the longest days of my life and caddie was not happy and it was all golf lessons all day. Not hosting again. Its just not worth it as my request go unanswered.

I have been a 1000greens member for only a few years. To date I have only hosted (once) and have yet to have any of my requests accepted.

To be fair, my involvement until last year has been limited due to family obligations (teenage kids at home), but now that I am an emptynester, I expect to use the service more extensively.

The one time I hosted, the guys I met were fantastic (and were a tier above mine) and I sincerely believe they will reciprocate when I make it to their parts of the country.

Over the last year, I have gotten a few (3-6) requests to play my course, but have not been available for the times that have been requested (and our course is undergoing a major renovation). As my schedule (and the course) becomes more open, I am sure I will host more players (or and event if that means higher tier access).

It has been a little disappointing that some of my requests at clubs there are 1000greens members have not resulted in playing a round. Some requests have failed due to scheduling conflicts, but some have gone completely unanswered.

Does anyone know what advantages the 1000greens Founders Club members get? I think they are exempt from the annual subscription fee, but are there any additional advantages (such as playing higher tiered clubs)?

Overall, I am happy with the concept of 1000 greens and do not feel the subscription model will hurt the service.

Separately, I made the mistake of inquiring about Epic Golf and received a barrage of hard-sell calls for the right to pay $10K to join. I haven't heard Epic is any better/more effective than 1000greens, so relatively speaking 1000greens is a more affordable, more attractively low-key service.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

1 hour ago, njlam said:

Does anyone know what advantages the 1000greens Founders Club members get? I think they are exempt from the annual subscription fee, but are there any additional advantages (such as playing higher tiered clubs)?

Founders don't pay the annual fee, have founders only events and their own chat network where you could hook up with other founders. They also may get some sort of payment if Manish ever sells TG.

I think it'll be fine in the US. If anything I expect to get more requests now that there are no limits besides the annual fee on making as many requests as you want. I expect it will lose a lot of members in other countries though. Most private courses in other countries have a history of doing events and hosting other private club members in the area through inter club matches and other events. So unless you are regularly traveling to other countries, I'm not sure there is as much of a benefit for those in other countries.

I signed up as well. I'm hopeful that with the paid model, people will be more engaged. Maybe there will be fewer people/clubs on the site, but hopefully the percentage of times when you can get a game finalized will increase. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

10 hours ago, ryder2015 said:

I have hosted 3 times and met 2 great guys. The 3rd one was a guy and his wife that wanted to play my club. Said they were both 8 handicap. Not that I care about your HC but what ended up happening is the husband was nowhere near a 8 guess 18 and wife hit multiple balls on every shot. Supposedly that's why they put three of them in a box I learned. One of the longest days of my life and caddie was not happy and it was all golf lessons all day. Not hosting again. Its just not worth it as my request go unanswered.

Yikes!  This would be 1 benefit to them going subscription, I guess!  I've never hosted on the app, but are you able to review someone like this and put them in the penalty box?

13 hours ago, ryder2015 said:

this sounds terrible 

15 hours ago, ryder2015 said:

Hopefully you sent a message to the admin. Usually they kick anyone who cause hassles for the host off the system.

• 3 months later...

I signed up for the trial to get a feel for the tiers. I'm a member of a pretty small CC on the outskirts of LA so I doubt I'll have many requests to host. I don't get to travel much either since I have a toddler but would like to see what options exist out there. Although the one time I asked my club pro to make a call for me, he was able to get me out on Hoakalei CC without a problem so not sure how useful this platform will be for someone like me. Wife would never agree to travel to a place like Oakmont anyway so public resort-style courses are probably in my future. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:14 PM, daegyu said:

I signed up for the trial to get a feel for the tiers. I'm a member of a pretty small CC on the outskirts of LA so I doubt I'll have many requests to host. I don't get to travel much either since I have a toddler but would like to see what options exist out there. Although the one time I asked my club pro to make a call for me, he was able to get me out on Hoakalei CC without a problem so not sure how useful this platform will be for someone like me. Wife would never agree to travel to a place like Oakmont anyway so public resort-style courses are probably in my future. 

Put an open offer up and you might be surprised who's interested in playing at your place.

I have been on 1000 greens coming up on a few years now. The concept is great and I think it is well worth the cost if you travel and play.  If you don't travel much for golf, not willing to travel to play courses that appeal to that have open offers OR your only use it when you go on vacation then yes it may not fit you.

A great example is we have a large (2.5 week) overseas golf trip planned. There was some courses we specifically had hoped to play.   In the process of planning out the trip I have learned a few things:

1.  When making a request be respectful / humble...! You are asking to play a club with a member that has no idea who you are and the "fear" of what was listed above by others in this thread is a legit concern.  When making a request be HUMBLE.  Given TRUE information of you, your game, etc.  Keep in mind life is busy for all of us, just like you (and me) the host has a life outside of golf.  They are taking time out of their schedule (life) to host.

2. Give a range of dates if possible.  I understand this can be hard for some trips as you may be in the area for just a day or two. If that is the case you should lower expectation.  A single date for sure will limit your chance as the club could have an event on those days, etc.  

3.  Plan ahead.  If you know your going to be in a specific area 2 months or so out and there is a course you want top play make the request early. It may help it may not.  In your request let it be known your planning ahead and understand if no one can host you fully understand.

4.  Level of expectation.  To me it seems (reading here and other threads) many who signed up on 1000 greens feel or think they will be able to play all the top courses.  As many have found that is not the case.  The level of tier is not as big a factor either I have found.  As member in the highest tier I have made requests to play a course or two in the lower/lowest tiers.  Same as many I did not get a response or I got a response saying sorry will not be in the area.  Like noted in Point 1... everyone has a life outside of golf. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CDM said:

I have been on 1000 greens coming up on a few years now. The concept is great and I think it is well worth the cost if you travel and play.  If you don't travel much for golf, not willing to travel to play courses that appeal to that have open offers OR your only use it when you go on vacation then yes it may not fit you.

A great example is we have a large (2.5 week) overseas golf trip planned. There was some courses we specifically had hoped to play.   In the process of planning out the trip I have learned a few things:

1.  When making a request be respectful / humble...! You are asking to play a club with a member that has no idea who you are and the "fear" of what was listed above by others in this thread is a legit concern.  When making a request be HUMBLE.  Given TRUE information of you, your game, etc.  Keep in mind life is busy for all of us, just like you (and me) the host has a life outside of golf.  They are taking time out of their schedule (life) to host.

2. Give a range of dates if possible.  I understand this can be hard for some trips as you may be in the area for just a day or two. If that is the case you should lower expectation.  A single date for sure will limit your chance as the club could have an event on those days, etc.  

3.  Plan ahead.  If you know your going to be in a specific area 2 months or so out and there is a course you want top play make the request early. It may help it may not.  In your request let it be known your planning ahead and understand if no one can host you fully understand.

4.  Level of expectation.  To me it seems (reading here and other threads) many who signed up on 1000 greens feel or think they will be able to play all the top courses.  As many have found that is not the case.  The level of tier is not as big a factor either I have found.  As member in the highest tier I have made requests to play a course or two in the lower/lowest tiers.  Same as many I did not get a response or I got a response saying sorry will not be in the area.  Like noted in Point 1... everyone has a life outside of golf. 

I have a question for you: If you belong to a tier 1 course, wouldn't you simply be able to play any course you'd like by having your head pro make a phone call on your behalf? Or do you prefer TG because you'd like to play the course with a member to show you the ropes?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

4 hours ago, daegyu said:

I have a question for you: If you belong to a tier 1 course, wouldn't you simply be able to play any course you'd like by having your head pro make a phone call on your behalf? Or do you prefer TG because you'd like to play the course with a member to show you the ropes?

I find it more enjoyable to play with a member. Playing with other passionate golfers who can potentially become a life long contact is the big draw for me. I have made many contacts that I have played with again after the initial round that I would never have made without TG. Also, on a much lesser point, there are courses where unaccompanied is not allowed and a call from your pro won't help at all. Plus I like that I don't have to be that member the pro knows as someone who is bugging them for access somewhere every time they go on vacation.

10 hours ago, daegyu said:

Certainly I could have our pro call but as you note (bold text) is my preference. 

As @Dancin mentions I find playing with a member(s) is more enjoyable.  You get to learn about the course, history of the club, etc.  Build relationships with other like minded golfers. 

Another aspect I have seen via requests sent for our club is business aspects. I think some who join feel it could be a good avenue to meet others and potential business and that is fine but that is not my motivation. 

Golf is my escape from work and do not want to mingle them.   Based on what I do for work when I was looking to join a club I looked at a 10+ and pretty much every club I went to had members I associate / work with in the industry and I realized right away I was not going to get away from "work" joining said clubs. 

1000 greens to me is fantastic for what it provides, if you understand what the intent is and expectations.