2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bandon Trip Report 4/22/19 - 4/26/2019

bird206

This trip has been on my bucket list for at least 8 years. Finally had to pull the trigger to do it before I get any older and won't be able to physically do it. I had the dilemma of going with a group or solo. Ended up going solo and did not regret it. The forum posts regarding going solo definitely helped motivate me to eventually hit the button. I booked the trip last August and did a lot of research, prepared mentally and physically, read Dream golf, and etc...

While I was there I tried to take as many pictures and notes as I could that hasn't been shared yet on the message boards (almost like a daily diary). So I'll probably get a little bit more detailed here than I should, so I'll break each post into separate days. Here we go.

Day 1 Monday 4/22/2019

Hardly got any sleep the previous night even though I went to bed early. Probably too much excitement and anticipation. Took 8am flight from Seattle to Eugene. Only took one hour.

Eugene Airport is small so it was easy to get bags and rental car in about 30 minutes.

Got a Subaru Impreza from Alamo with the Automatic Refuel Option from Alamo. This helped out a lot since I didn’t have to worry about refueling because I was in a rush to get back to airport at end of the trip to catch my plane going back.

Decided on not going to Fiddler’s green because I wanted to go straight to Bandon with no wasted time.

It was about 2.5 hour drive from Eugene to Bandon. People have said this is a scenic drive, but since I lived in the NW for my whole life it wasn’t that spectacular. I just wanted to get my a** to Bandon ASAP.

Got to Bandon Dunes around 12:30. I felt like a 9 year old going into the Disneyland parking lot driving into Main Entrance from Highway.47veqkvk3y2j.jpg

I checked into my single Golfer room in the Lodge. Check in was no problem. Room looked comfortable and adequate knowing I’m only going to spend time in the room sleeping.9ch0vei3t0kc.jpg

I didn’t even want to unpack because I wanted all my daylight hours somewhere playing golf on the course. I’ll unpack later.

First thing I needed was some lunch to get fueled up for the day. Went to Pacific Dunes for lunch and at the Grilled Cheese Sandwich (see the Bandon Food post for all my food reviews).

While eating I was staring in amazement from the restaurant views onto Pacific Dunes. Just saying to myself this is going to be one awesome week of golf.y6bzj22u7oow.jpg

After eating, stopped real quick into the Pac Dunes pro shop to look at the merchandise. Severely stocked. I said to myself I’ll need to set aside some time to buy stuff because you can stupidly buy everything if you don’t control yourself.

Left for the practice center and got there around 2pm. Got there and was in dumbfounded amazement of how expansive the practice center was. This has to be the best practice facility I’ve ever been to in my life. 4pbb1vj91eiv.jpg5szm1kcc71or.jpg

Started practicing bump and runs on the chipping green and then I wanted to see how I fared using a 60 degree wedge. I was hitting pitch and chip shots with my 60 degree with no issue. I’ve heard people say leave the wedge home. I disagree. I think you should be able to still use it only in the right situation on the Bandon courses. Bump and run should be the first option, but there are times when I preferred to use my 60.

Next, went to Shortys. Only holes 1,2,9 were available to play since it was Monday and the South Range hitting stalls were being utilized. Those 3 holes were good enough to play since I was the only one on those and I was making up tee shots from where ever I wanted to. 98ebynw5wkhz.jpg

After Shortys went to the hitting stalls to practice some knock down shots and normal shots. All the balls you can hit! Grass tees.6ysnttntv6qo.jpg

After that went to practice more pitch shots from the practice pitching area. 94yi6aet92ng.jpg

This place has it all. After that, went to the big putting green to practice long putts and get use to the greens.

I then had a 4pm tee time at the Reserve

Best damn Par 3 course I’ve ever played. The greens were still being repaired but it didn’t takeaway from the course at all. Sunset round with the sun settting and no wind or rain was amazing. #9 hole on the reserve was my favorite. Couldn’t ask for anymore of a perfect way to end the day. cfpy7aia6f3m.jpg

Went to McKees for dinner and had the Shepard’s Pie. Easy to get a seat at the bar as a single (another benefit going solo).

After dinner jumped into the Jacuzzi (had it all to myself) for about 15 minutes. The Jacuzzi was very invaluable every night of the trip. Got to relax those tired muscles after 36 holes. w99incwvl4gr.jpg

Hit the shower, watched a little NBA playoff, spoke with wifey over facetime, and went to sleep by 10:30pm (this was my nightly wind down). Knowing that I needed as much rest as I could for 36 holes everyday.

The following day I had rounds at Bandon in the AM and Pacific in the PM. Going to bed I couldn't be a more happier man. To be continued tomorrow.

Day 2: Tuesday 4/23/19

Began each day of the trip waking up at 6am. Finally unpacked all my bags then went to warm up at the Practice Center before my first round at Bandon Dunes. Ate a quick breakfast sandwich from the Bandon Dunes turnstand and then met my caddie Ramsey. Real cool dude and good personality. He told me he also loops down at Eastlake Golf Club in Atlanta during the winter months.yagii3v5goni.jpg

Got to the first tee and was welcomed by the starter. The starters at all the course always gave good welcoming vibes. I love that. Starter recommended to play the Green tees and stuck with that suggestion through out the trip which made it more enjoyable. I thought the Green tees will challenge you if you want to play aggressive or conservative but won't be so unforgiving.

I was linked up with a couple from Arizona who were very nice. Took a small swig off the bourbon flask to lower nerves. I was actually more nervous of who I was going to be paired up with rather than hitting my first shot on the course. You never know if you'd get paired up with some folks who didn't want someone else joining them. I experienced the total opposite in Bandon. Everybody is just happy to be there and welcoming.

Hit my first shot long on #1 hole and went into the bunker. Caddy didn’t think I was able to hit it that long. He apologized.

Hole #4 was awesome. My well placed tee shot with Hybrid.

98joxt9lsyce.jpg

Gorse was in bloom. Never really know how *****ly the Gorse is. Glad my balls never went into them.

Found the treasure box on #10. A bunch of old crap in there. I didn’t take anything out but put a Maker’s Mark popper in there as my offering.

6sixdwaln2ci.jpg

r57mb68c12i3.jpg

I noticed my balls were going further than usual except going against the wind. Probably because tons of roll off the firm turf and downward wind. I had a handful of 300+ yard drives which I’ve never done before. Only added to my Bandon experience. Drove my ball just off from the green tees accidentally on #16. Wasn't trying to do that. But got lucky it didn't go off the cliff.

8su78p233nij.jpg

Wind started blowing hard on the back 9

Putting was difficult for me. I was either under or over putting the hole. Couldn’t get a feel of the greens. I found the greens to be more undulated than I’m used to.

Ended the Bandon Dunes round with and 85 and took a short break back at the room before the Pac Dunes round.

Got to Pac Dunes at 1:30 and fortunately linked up with the same couple from the morning round.

By 1:30 the Wind just started blowing super hard. I’ve never played in this hard of wind before. I think they were blowing at 25-30mph. So hard, my eye brow hair was getting messed up! Unless you play in these conditions on a regular basis, I don’t know how much you can prepare yourself for it. It starts messing with you your putting and even just walking to your next shot. Also, trying to swing a long club was hard too. I can only imagine if it was raining also. Regardless, I embraced it as part of the Bandon experience and tried to hit knock down shots under the wind. Which was fun in itself.

ubaabzptwo2y.jpg

Ended up shooting a 86. I was surprised I scored better than usual. I figured I would be in the 90s for these courses. I wasn't paying to close to the score and just wanted to soak in the experience. I didn't even mind if I ended up in a bunker.

After the round I felt a little mentally and physically beat down. Not so much from playing 36 holes, but mostly from the wind. Afterwards, I just had to sit down and chill out with a beer. Grabbed a Stella from Pac Dunes restaurant and relaxed on the porch and watched the folks on the Punchbowl. I contemplated if I should jump on by myself but decided not to. There were large groups already on the Punchbowl and I would probably have to wait in between holes. Also, the awkwardness of being on it alone. It seemed like more of a social thing rather than something you can do by yourself. Maybe if I was the only one there with a couple other groups on other holes I may have played. I decided to forgo and take a drive around the property instead. Plus I was pretty drained physically. I would definitely come back and try doing the Punchbowl maybe on a seperate visit with some of my buddies because it did look real fun. (one of the disadvantages of going solo)

aprj5ni98tbe.jpg

Ended up driving down the main road past Bandon Trails. It was kind of a long road. Took me about 15 minutes to drive down and back. Man...Keiser owns a lot of property.

Went to McKees for dinner again and had the Scotch Eggs and Wedge Salad.

Finished my night with my usual wind down with the Jacuzzi (See Monday). Tomorrow's rounds are Old Mac in the morning and Trails in the afternoon.

• Like 1

Day 3: Wednesday 4/22/19

Started my usual morning routine with the Breakfast Sandwich but skipped the practice facility. I think I got only 3 hours of sleep, which sucked. I’m blaming a 5 hour energy drink I took at yesterday’s afternoon round at Pac Dunes. No more 5 hour drinks for the rest of the trip!

First round of the day was Old Mac. By 8:30am I can feel the wind already start blowing a little hard. I loved the feel of this course because I seriously felt like it was somewhere in Scotland (i think, even though I never been there). Something I would only see on a British Open.

6wri8w091852.jpg

Me and my caddie got paired up with another single golfer from Texas. His wife gave him Bandon Dunes trip as his 50th birthday gift. What a great gift from a wife, huh?

From the First hole I already see the iconic Ghost Tree. This course to me was one of the most quirky unique courses I’ve ever played. Starting with the Ghost Tree hole on #3. Basically, gotta hit your shot right of the tree and over the dune and trust your ball will end up well placed. Which it does.

7c04wk88jd7y.jpg

The greens on the course were definitely huge as they claim. You can get many GIRs but also many 3 putts. My favorite holes on the course were 3, 7, 8, 15, and 16. 7 and 15 greens had amazing views of ocean. The turn stand location next to #7 green was awesome overlooking the bluff. I would come here just to have lunch even if I wasn’t playing golf.

xjrgmbkp74bj.jpg

From the turn stand you can see sheep ranch being built in the background. Man, can’t wait until that course opens up with all those oceanside holes.

owa0n0mxdssm.jpg

This course made me think the most because I think it brought in the aspect of playing more bump and runs, putting from way off the green, adjusting your shots for the wind, and how to play the different template holes. It was my favorite out of the 4 courses. Ended up shooting an 84.

Afternoon round was at Trails so decided eat lunch there as well and had the Brown Rice Bowl (very good, check the review on the Bandon Food thread).

I ended up teeing it up with a good group of 3 young guys from Austin on a buddy trip. By this time in the afternoon, the wind was blowing at it’s hardest. I noticed you had to shout to other people in order to talk to them. This was annoying (especially when you're trying to listen to your caddy) but memorable.

The overall feel of the course was a lot of the wooded courses I played in Seattle (Kayak, Gold Mt, Snoqualmie TPC..), but the turf was definitely like the other Bandon courses with tight lies. Greens weren’t as bad as reported with the Poa creeping in. I guess I played in a lot worse green conditions and was just very grateful being able to be in Bandon.

11th hole was very serene with how the green sits right next to that pond.

ijgfbucujfnv.jpg

The par 3s were great with how they did the bunkering. I gotta give it up to Coore Crenshaw for how they constructed the course with the land they had to deal with. It’s a great course but my least favorite out of all of them. Mostly because when I make a long journey to the Oregon coast my priority is playing oceanside courses. You can't get that back in Seattle. Or, maybe because I shot my worst round there of 95? Haha.

That Eureka! Kaiser moment had as described in the Dream Golf book.

q30mdp5qfawy.jpg

b6e1uzjpshmm.jpg

It was also my last round with my caddy Ramsey. I figured I only needed him for the first rounds on each course to help with my shot decisions, guide me around the courses (you can get lost from hole to hole), and make me feel comfortable playing as a solo. He did all that and would recommend him to others. Nice hanging with you Ramsey!

After playing all 4 courses now, I made a last minute switch to my itinerary. I was scheduled to play Trails again as my last round on the Friday morning I leave, but cancelled and scheduled Bandon Dunes instead. That way I can play Old Mac again as my last sunset round on Thursday. Again, the advantage of going solo with the ability to change your plan last minute if needed.

Went to McKees for the 3rd straight night and noticed it was more busier than earlier in the week. Still managed to get a solo seat at the bar with no problem. Had the Meatloaf and once again a happy man. Went back to the room and repeated nightly wind down with some much needed rest. Oh yeah before falling asleep, I watched the Trailblazer's game when they ousted OKC out of the playoffs. When Damian Lillard hit that game winning shot, I heard the whole lodge erupt in noise from the quiet confines of my room. I enjoyed hearing that. :)

Tomorrow’s rounds are Pac Dunes in the morning and Old Mac in the afternoon. The adventure continues...

• Like 1

Bird,

This is one of the best, if not the best trip recap. Keep it up! I've been 7 times and I still find your pics and descriptions insightful.

Much thanks!

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

> @Davidelliott100 said:

> Best place on planet earth for a golfer.

here .... here ....and the golf gawds thank you for your offering.... because Bandon is a golfers spiritual haven

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Looking forward to today's review! I called last night to book my May 2020 trip and found out that its already too late, they are completely booked thru first week of June 2020 (only a few suites remaining)... Back to the drawing board for me on planning when to go later in the year.. They said they have a lot of corporate events and such already scheduled throughout the summer which is affecting availability. I thought I was ahead of the game, but apparently I'm not.

Day 4: Thursday 4/23/19

Got better rest. Probably because I stayed off the 5 hour energy and I should say the beds are quite comfortable too. Did my usual Bandon morning routine. I forgot to mention they offer free fresh brewed coffee in the Lodge lobby every morning. Another benefit of staying in the Lodge. Grabbed that coffee every morning right when I woke up to get my day started.

Went to the practice center to warm up and then got to Pacific Dunes. Still had those first tee jitters of who I was going to be paired up with and not the actual first tee shot. Especially since I didn’t have a caddy this time. I ended up getting paired up with 2 dudes from Central Mississippi and a solo guy from Saskatchewan. The Mississippi guys told me it took them 4 connecting flights to get to Bandon. I should feel thankful it only took me one plane in one hour to get to Eugene. The group ended up being another welcoming nice group to play with. I’m beginning not to feel so nervous meeting the groups I’m about to play with.

Pac Dunes had less wind in the morning and was definitely more enjoyable than my first round here. I started to feel a little bit freed up with not having a caddy with me. Don’t get me wrong, my caddy provided a lot of guidance and help, but since I don’t normally play with a caddy there were some times were I felt I couldn’t play more of my own game because I was trusting his advice. Now I was just able to simplifying it by only listening to my own thoughts with the tips he gave me on prior rounds. Plus I was able to enjoy the use of my yardage books and read all the descriptions. Kinda being nerdy on the course.

I shot my best round with a 83 and a couple of birdies on #2 and #16. I was hitting some of my best tee shots and approach shots. Great solid round. I also finally started to get a better feel for the greens on this 3 day of playing.

At this point of my trip, I noticed no rain so far (knock on wood), only lost 1 or 2 balls, and the amount of deer and different wildlife you see on the courses (saw wild turkeys and vultures) is pretty incredible.

rf5pbp83sa57.jpg

Went back to Trails to eat since I heard about the rockfish sandwich, it was okay. Again, see food report in the Bandon Food thread. I do enjoy eating at the Trails clubhouse though. The open windows and being so close to the 18th hole green is pretty cool.

After lunch jetted back to Old Mac for my last Sunset round of the trip. I ended up scoring the last tee time at 3pm and was scheduled to play solo. This couldn’t have gone any better. There was nobody at least 2 holes in front of me and nobody behind me. Basically it felt like I had the whole course to myself. Shall I drop a second ball to play? Of course! I was like a little kid out there trying to imitate different shots like they do in the British Open (never got the Tiger Stinger down though LOL).

rvdh0f886wgl.jpg

This round had to be one of the most soul satisfying rounds I had in my lifetime. I felt like God was giving me this special moment. I had to pinch myself a couple times to make sure this was reality I was experiencing. Also, the winds seriously calmed down after the first 8 holes along with the sun setting off in the horizon around 6:30ish.

64sl0a8ylkdy.jpg

j0exxmwte91q.jpg

oguev6x8wxas.jpg

nszgjeagar79.jpg

Birdied the last hole and finished at twilight right before darkness hit. It couldn’t end anyway better.

nz8n8wqj05ud.jpg

Went back to McKees and ate upstairs to see the last glimpses of daylight hover over Bandon Dunes course. Upstairs is nice because you have some views of the course because of the big windows. Ended up talking with a dude at the bar from Cincinnati with a southern accent. I noticed I hung out and played with a lot of southern accents. Which is cool, because I don’t get that too much in Seattle. I killed a Guinness, Jameson, and Chicken Pot Pie as my last dinner meal at McKees.

Back to the lodge to pack for my trip back home. This wasn’t fun since I was hella tired by this time and packing is always a b****. Luckily I was still able to jump into jacuzzi one last time before lights out. Oh yeah, since the Bunker Bar was located next to jacuzzi. I always had a chance to walk by and quickly glance that scene out on a nightly basis. Definitely lively, smelled the cigar smoke, saw people playing pool and cards, and boisterous and happy laughs. Definitely looked fun with a group of buddies (disadvantage of going solo).

My last day tomorrow will be a busy day of checking out, squeezing in one last round at Bandon Dunes, eating lunch, and getting to Eugene to catch my plane on time. To be continued one last time.

• Like 3

I feel the pangs of sadness as you talk about packing up and the last full night. Really enjoying your trip! Also, I'm right with you, by far my most special moment was the bonus holes I played alone at Old Mac, when I just hung out for a while on the 7th green, thinking about life as the sun set ... then realized, oh crap, this sun is going to duck down fast and I'm going to be walking back in the dark.

Phils, we have gone as far as carrying head lamps on our afternoon/evening rounds. It really is nice to stick around on the bluffs until dark. Break out the flasks and take it all in with a moment of appreciation.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Day 5: Friday 4/26/19

Woke up with usual morning routine and then checked out of my room. I put all my bags in my rental car instead of letting concierge holding it. This time instead of driving my car, I took the shuttle for the first time to the Practice center for warm up. Unfortunately I had to wait longer than I wanted to (15 min) for the shuttle coming back to the course and plus it had to drop people off at the other courses. So it probably took 20-25 minutes to get back. Yeah, the shuttles are cool but having a car on site is more convenient especially if you’re trying to be efficient about your time and need to get to a tee time right away. No waiting around.

I began my last round at Bandon Dunes and got grouped with a group of Texans again, and once again they were welcoming and accommodating. Go Texas!

75lm65afb2b1.jpg

There was light wind in the morning and I started playing really well. The winds started getting heavier again on the back 9 and then my game went to crap. 39 on front, and 48 on the back. The wind again just gave me a beat down. This time it seriously felt like I was just in an Olympic wrestling match. I finally had that great moment of finally hitting two solid 4 iron knock down shots on #17 since the wind was blowing hard. First one found the fairway at 170 yards and the next one found the green for an eventual Par.

pldkqjhtli9f.jpg

By the way, there is some cool looking gnarly Middle Earth looking like land on the southside of #17 tee box. I wonder if Kaiser owns this as well.

93zcnkoekspr.jpg

After the round I went straight to the Gallery bar and got me a Jameson neat to soothe my wind beaten body. Surprisingly at that point I think I was ready to go home. I was about to eat lunch at the Gallery but saw that McKees opened up at 2pm. Mmmmm...one last chance to order the Lamb Shank. I had some time to kill before McKees so went souvenir shopping. During the whole week I was taking note and pics of all the merchandise they had available and refraining from purchasing. I’m glad I did because I didn’t want to go overboard with spending. Which could easily happen there.

fg2texddxn2x.jpgsfw5lrmhzd3k.jpg

1qkjowdtbywv.jpg

4uaej7j1ai3q.jpg

Got to Mckees after shopping and was the only customer there (never seen it so empty) and ordered the lamb shank and it was damn good. Immediately left Bandon to catch my 7pm flight from Eugene. There was some road construction happening and I thought I was going to be late so I was definitely flooring the pedal when I could. Plus, I had a whole bunch of gas to burn with the auto refuel option. Got to Eugene right on time with about 20 minutes to spare before boarding.

I’m glad I took a plane instead of driving from Seattle. Driving 2.5 hours from Eugene to Bandon was already long enough for me. Especially driving by myself. Driving would’ve took 7-8 hours long hours from Seattle.

Landed in Seattle and exhausted. I was pretty happy to be home with wife and dog. Feeling real good about my family, work, and golf life balance. Fell asleep pretty quick and actually had better sleep than in Bandon. Probably because I didn’t have the anticipation of an exciting special round at Bandon and was back with my wife. I really got to give it up to my wife for encouraging me to go to do a week in Bandon while she stayed back home with the dog.

Since I’ve been back for at least a week, I still have Bandon running through my head 80% of the time. I’m sure my wife and my friends are pretty sick of me talking about Bandon. I need a Bandon Detox to get back to living my regular life. Bandon is a special place. Right after I was finished playing my last round at Bandon, I contemplated that maybe that was my last time I was ever going to play there. Bucket list checked off. But after more time has passed I feel like I need to go back again. Maybe with some buddies or even by myself again. Bandon is forever etched in my mind. In the best way possible. Until next time.

nbr5uocy4ksw.jpg

• Like 3

Outstanding trip report!

Hadn't noticed before seeing your pic above, but the starter shack at BD looks like it's ready for some renovating.

I think the land south of the resort is part of Bullards Beach State park.

You are not the only one who came to Bandon to check it off the Bucket List, but it becomes a regular thing...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

OP -

Thoroughly enjoyed this thread; thank you for the detailed daily reports. I read each day with a smile on my face because it brought back memories of my one and only Bandon trip (Sept 2018).

As you say Bandon is etched forever in my mind as well. It truly is a special place and this forum has dozens of Bandon threads from people all over the world - the one constant in all Bandon trip threads is how special it is there. Bandon has a magic to it that I’ve never experienced elsewhere.

Anyways, even though I don’t know you I’m exceedingly happy you had such an enjoyable trip and thanks again for taking the time to pen this thread.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Enjoying the thread. My 13 year old son and I leave in 17 days for it. My second trip, his first. Should be a blast.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Thanks for taking the time to write this. It almost makes me want to go there. My buddy and I did Pebble last year and are considering Bandon, but I am a real fair weather golfer and I worry the wind / rain would really put a damper on the experience for me. Your write up makes me think I may be able to have a good experience in spite of weather..

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @bird206 said:

> Day 5: Friday 4/26/19

> Woke up with usual morning routine and then checked out of my room. I put all my bags in my rental car instead of letting concierge holding it. This time instead of driving my car, I took the shuttle for the first time to the Practice center for warm up. Unfortunately I had to wait longer than I wanted to (15 min) for the shuttle coming back to the course and plus it had to drop people off at the other courses. So it probably took 20-25 minutes to get back. Yeah, the shuttles are cool but having a car on site is more convenient especially if you’re trying to be efficient about your time and need to get to a tee time right away. No waiting around.

>

> I began my last round at Bandon Dunes and got grouped with a group of Texans again, and once again they were welcoming and accommodating. Go Texas!

> 75lm65afb2b1.jpg

>

> There was light wind in the morning and I started playing really well. The winds started getting heavier again on the back 9 and then my game went to ****. 39 on front, and 48 on the back. The wind again just gave me a beat down. This time it seriously felt like I was just in an Olympic wrestling match. I finally had that great moment of finally hitting two solid 4 iron knock down shots on #17 since the wind was blowing hard. First one found the fairway at 170 yards and the next one found the green for an eventual Par.

> pldkqjhtli9f.jpg

>

> By the way, there is some cool looking gnarly Middle Earth looking like land on the southside of #17 tee box. I wonder if Kaiser owns this as well.

> 93zcnkoekspr.jpg

>

> After the round I went straight to the Gallery bar and got me a Jameson neat to soothe my wind beaten body. Surprisingly at that point I think I was ready to go home. I was about to eat lunch at the Gallery but saw that McKees opened up at 2pm. Mmmmm...one last chance to order the Lamb Shank. I had some time to kill before McKees so went souvenir shopping. During the whole week I was taking note and pics of all the merchandise they had available and refraining from purchasing. I’m glad I did because I didn’t want to go overboard with spending. Which could easily happen there.

> fg2texddxn2x.jpgsfw5lrmhzd3k.jpg

> 1qkjowdtbywv.jpg

> 4uaej7j1ai3q.jpg

>

> Got to Mckees after shopping and was the only customer there (never seen it so empty) and ordered the lamb shank and it was **** good. Immediately left Bandon to catch my 7pm flight from Eugene. There was some road construction happening and I thought I was going to be late so I was definitely flooring the pedal when I could. Plus, I had a whole bunch of gas to burn with the auto refuel option. Got to Eugene right on time with about 20 minutes to spare before boarding.

>

> I’m glad I took a plane instead of driving from Seattle. Driving 2.5 hours from Eugene to Bandon was already long enough for me. Especially driving by myself. Driving would’ve took 7-8 hours long hours from Seattle.

>

> Landed in Seattle and exhausted. I was pretty happy to be home with wife and dog. Feeling real good about my family, work, and golf life balance. Fell asleep pretty quick and actually had better sleep than in Bandon. Probably because I didn’t have the anticipation of an exciting special round at Bandon and was back with my wife. I really got to give it up to my wife for encouraging me to go to do a week in Bandon while she stayed back home with the dog.

>

> Since I’ve been back for at least a week, I still have Bandon running through my head 80% of the time. I’m sure my wife and my friends are pretty sick of me talking about Bandon. I need a Bandon Detox to get back to living my regular life. Bandon is a special place. Right after I was finished playing my last round at Bandon, I contemplated that maybe that was my last time I was ever going to play there. Bucket list checked off. But after more time has passed I feel like I need to go back again. Maybe with some buddies or even by myself again. Bandon is forever etched in my mind. In the best way possible. Until next time.

> nbr5uocy4ksw.jpg

Look at that ! not a house in site .... wonderful !

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

DVD Extras (I promise my last long winded post on this) :)

3 Weeks later: Bandon PTSD therapy and some other additional personal thoughts and tips I had over the weekend

Immediate thoughts are:

* I want to go back. Maybe in about 2 or 3 years. Especially with Sheep Ranch opening.

* I wouldn’t mind going back with a group of buddies just to have that Bandon buddy experience in the Bunker Bar, Punchbowl, Reserve, and the courses too.

* I would also go back going solo as well.

* Maybe make some time to visit Bandon town next time I go?

* Listening to the No Layup and Golf Guide podcasts were very insightful in prepping on what to expect at Bandon.

* Reading Dream Golf is essential before going. Makes you appreciate the resort even more. I'm planning to re-read now.

* I would wear some type of skully beanie cap when the wind starts blowing hard so I don’t have to worry about my cap flying off.

* I didn’t lose too many balls so I think a dozen balls is good enough to bring. You can always buy balls there.

* The sand in the bunkers is REALLY dense. Not compact just dense. Make sure you accelerate all the way through your bunker shots as my caddy suggested and try and get some bunker practice to get the feel of the sand.

* I brought 3 pairs of shoes. I found that changing out shoes and socks after every round wasn’t quite necessary, it provided just a little bit of extra comfort on the next round. Of course, since there was no rain on all those days it would’ve been a different story. I brought a pair of Adidas 360 Tour Boosts, Adidas 3.0 Crossknit Ultra Boosts, and True Linkswear Originals. I found the Crossknits were the most comfortable. As @kschriber says the turf is firm and could be hard on the feet if wearing soft spikes. So, the 360s with the spikes were the least comfortable. The True OGs were real comforatable as well, but since the sole drop is so small on those you can feel every little pebble or pine cone you step on.e77f7jqwuq0p.jpg

* Speaking of rain (there was none), I felt like I missed my badge of honor to play in hard rain and wind in Bandon. Although, I think I’m okay I didn’t experience that. Knowing how hard the wind was blowing I can only imagine with rain it would’ve been sinister. My caddy says the rain would hurt hitting your face with the type of wind I was experiencing.

Which leads me to packing the 2 rain suits that I actually never actually used. I was in a way little disappointed I didn’t get to use my GoreTex that I meticulously researched and shopped for. Oh well, I guess it was a blessing in a way. I’ve worn prior it in some pouring rain in Seattle and the garments fared well and would recommend them.w74xpsdh6g18.jpg

* Worst move I made was not using sunscreen. I usually don’t sunburn to easily so I figured even when it was sunny and only in the mid 60s I wouldn't sunburn. Boy was I wrong. I felt the sunburn on the 3rd day there. Luckily it was only my upper hands, lips, and wrists since I was pretty much covered most of the days with long sleeve compression under the golf shirt. But my ears and face got a little burnt up. I’m sure the high winds accelerated the burn in some way also.

* I did a lot of physical training for the trip for at least 6 months. Did more walking to and from my daily job that consists of up and down hills. And getting on the treadmill. I didn’t want to be that person of being dead tired and not completing 36 holes walking.

* Also watched my alcohol intake when I was there. I could’ve really got in some good drinking with all the whiskey and beer selections. Golf took precedence over that.

* If I went back and had 10 rounds: 3 Mac, 3 Pac, 2 Bandon, 2 Trails.

Thanks for tuning in everyone. I had to break the reports in multiple parts because I took a lot of notes and pics everyday to share.I would have to say this board has been really very useful in many ways in preparing for the trip. I don't think I would've gone without the Bandon Solo Thread on this board. It helped motivate me. Also want to shout out @kaschreiber , @spud3 , @eboettne , @duffer987 @mallrat , @Edaw68 , @philsRHman , @nolayup, @buzlin and others on this board who I missed for the help on making my Bandon trip very memorable

Looking forward to other people posting their reports too and to provide any Bandon tips when needed.

• Like 3

Great write-up and review. Thank you for taking the time to do so. I have this bookmarked and will reference as my trip this falls closes in.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X