Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

3 hours ago, Golferclubs23 said:

Got it, is it worth it to spend a night in town and grab dinner? Or something that is not worth it?

very much depends on what you want out of the trip. 

you can just show up to the resort and your every need will be accommodated there. 

If you like to explore and get some local flavor it’s a nice little town.

I stayed one night there bc the resort was booked the night of our arrival. Had a nice time walking around and crushed some beer and pizza at the brewery in town. Don’t know that I would go out of my way to head there again but enjoyed it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ND2005 said:

very much depends on what you want out of the trip. 

you can just show up to the resort and your every need will be accommodated there. 

If you like to explore and get some local flavor it’s a nice little town.

I stayed one night there bc the resort was booked the night of our arrival. Had a nice time walking around and crushed some beer and pizza at the brewery in town. Don’t know that I would go out of my way to head there again but enjoyed it. 

Nailed it with this. It is pretty cool to just stay on site, forget a world exist outside of the resort for your stay. Shuttles to take you everywhere (no need to drive at all) and it takes a way bit of the scheduling and planning as members of your group can all pick their own pace to leave and return to rooms when they want etc.

Bandon is quaint little town, but not a destination by any means. You stay there to save some money or because you can't get a room on site. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

111 days out from my trip with my dad (both first timers) for his 65th bday and I just feel the need to post something.

Itinerary

Day 0: drive from Seattle to Coos Bay (late arrival)

Day 1: Preserve + Bandon Dunes 

- I like the idea of a mellow round on Preserve to start, but we'd be paying full price for both rounds. Trying to get on OM/SR in the morning as those seem like good intro courses, but maybe I'm wrong(?)

Day 2: Pac Dunes

Day 3: Sheep Ranch + Bandon Trails

Day 4: Bandon Dunes + Pac Dunes (will likely hit the road after BD round)

• Like 2

My WITB

Cobra Darkspeed LS 10.5º -1º | LIN-Q M40x White 6F5

Cobra Darkspeed LS 14.5º +1º | LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º | Tour AD IZ 95x

Srixon ZX Utility 4i | MMT 105TX

Cobra King Tour (5-6) / CB (7-PW) | KBS $-Taper HT 125 S+

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 50º & 54º | DG TI S400

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58º |  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 | KBS CT Tour

Ball: Pro V1x

4 hours ago, STank724 said:

111 days out from my trip with my dad (both first timers) for his 65th bday and I just feel the need to post something.

Itinerary

Day 0: drive from Seattle to Coos Bay (late arrival)

Day 1: Preserve + Bandon Dunes 

- I like the idea of a mellow round on Preserve to start, but we'd be paying full price for both rounds. Trying to get on OM/SR in the morning as those seem like good intro courses, but maybe I'm wrong(?)

Day 2: Pac Dunes

Day 3: Sheep Ranch + Bandon Trails

Day 4: Bandon Dunes + Pac Dunes (will likely hit the road after BD round)

What time is your Pac Dunes round on Day 2?  Maybe try to get a Preserve round after the PD round.  Keep the second Preserve round in your hip pocket in case the OM/SR time comes in.  I think you might be able to cancel the Day 2 Preserve round as late as the day before without penalty if the OM/SR round does not come in, but if the OM/SR round does come in.....you are golden.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

Sheep #1 was my first ever hole at Bandon. Will never forget it.

Great way to start the trip with Sheep for a first-timer.  It is inviting and can score well, has some amazing views. And while some think it is the weakest course, if it is your first trip out there you don't know any better and the subsequent courses just seem that much more amazing!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

Great way to start the trip with Sheep for a first-timer.  It is inviting and can score well, has some amazing views. And while some think it is the weakest course, if it is your first trip out there you don't know any better and the subsequent courses just seem that much more amazing!

I think it would make a great first course. Amazing views, not difficult, you can just play golf and shake off the rust and enjoy the views...loved it.

• Like 3

TBD testing underway QI10 LS QI10 Max Smoke TD Stealth2

TM BRNR 13.5 / Diamana 70s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s
PXG Gen6 XP 6-P / Steelfiber 110s
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Odyssey F7 2 Ball or Cody James- LA GOLF 135 / Titleist AVX

3 hours ago, ND2005 said:

this is exactly what happened I loved the ocean views and infinity greens. Then each course after I liked more because the routings and greens were so much better. 

plus I had the pastrami sandwich which I drove back for several times during my

stay !!

BFD3AEBE-7C07-4E51-8155-7CF941FA71D0.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 3:51 PM, T2GRNN2 said:

What time is your Pac Dunes round on Day 2?  Maybe try to get a Preserve round after the PD round.  Keep the second Preserve round in your hip pocket in case the OM/SR time comes in.  I think you might be able to cancel the Day 2 Preserve round as late as the day before without penalty if the OM/SR round does not come in, but if the OM/SR round does come in.....you are golden.

This sounds like a pretty good idea. Playing PD at 11:10, but I think there might still be something around 10, which would give us a little more flexibility/cushion. 

My WITB

Cobra Darkspeed LS 10.5º -1º | LIN-Q M40x White 6F5

Cobra Darkspeed LS 14.5º +1º | LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º | Tour AD IZ 95x

Srixon ZX Utility 4i | MMT 105TX

Cobra King Tour (5-6) / CB (7-PW) | KBS $-Taper HT 125 S+

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 50º & 54º | DG TI S400

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58º |  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 | KBS CT Tour

Ball: Pro V1x

On 11/29/2023 at 9:29 PM, spud3 said:

OM #1 is one of the most relaxed tee shots at the resort,

My buddy was about one pace on the fairway on the left side, I was one pace on the right side and we had 89 yards in between us lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Question now with the roll back coming. From what I’ve read is that part of this roll back stems from people playing the wrong tee’s and yada, yada, yada. 

what is it about Bandon that it’s the only place I’ve seen where everyone comfortably tee’s it forward? A pace of play, the unknown, fear of the wind, a desire to enjoy vs grind over a round? What is it? No one ever complains about playing the greens at Bandon or whichever and those are a decent bit shorter than I normally play and it has never occurred to me to move back? 

5 hours ago, mallrat said:

what is it about Bandon that it’s the only place I’ve seen where everyone comfortably tee’s it forward? A pace of play, the unknown, fear of the wind, a desire to enjoy vs grind over a round? What is it? No one ever complains about playing the greens at Bandon or whichever and those are a decent bit shorter than I normally play and it has never occurred to me to move back? 

Well for one, when you normally play do you play 36 holes a day for 4-5 days in a row?

Its the same reason I never once went to the practice facility which is something I would never do at home.

TBD testing underway QI10 LS QI10 Max Smoke TD Stealth2

TM BRNR 13.5 / Diamana 70s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s
PXG Gen6 XP 6-P / Steelfiber 110s
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Odyssey F7 2 Ball or Cody James- LA GOLF 135 / Titleist AVX

7 hours ago, mallrat said:

I'm going with wind.

A couple of trips ago we moved back to black because it was calm when we teed off. Two holes in the wind picked up. 'Twas a long day.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

22 hours ago, mallrat said:

The place really lacks golf posers for the most part. Mind you I play in the winter months for the most part. Everyone there is serous about golf and mostly not delusional about how long the course needs to be. Then mix in the distance are set up to have wind as major factor, when it does not blow the courses can be a bit short. Finally you have the battle mindset. Lots of players out there taking on a big chunk of golf in a short amount of time. 

I think the course design in general helps too, they're strategic enough off the tee remains interesting, or maybe even becomes more interesting if you move up a box. I was about 75% blacks 25% greens on the last trip, about 6 of the guys on our trip played the blacks the other 10 the greens so if I was with 3 guys playing the greens I'd just move up with them. 

• Like 1

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

37 minutes ago, graveydellic said:

Is the little bar at the Punchbowl a summer only thing?  Assuming that's the case but wasn't sure. 

It was open the one night we made it over there two weeks ago. You could always just walk down from pac bar though. We did get lightly scolded for bringing room beers out there. 

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

4 hours ago, knock it close said:

It was open the one night we made it over there two weeks ago. You could always just walk down from pac bar though. We did get lightly scolded for bringing room beers out there. 

This Thanksgiving week and Thanksgiving week of 2021, we had a cooler, the Scotty Cameron den caddie from a few years ago, full of beers.  No one came over to say anything to us.  

On 12/3/2023 at 8:51 AM, dcmidnight said:

Well for one, when you normally play do you play 36 holes a day for 4-5 days in a row?

Its the same reason I never once went to the practice facility which is something I would never do at home.

The 6300 yardage is perfect for no wind conditions and plays easier and more enjoyable than my home course. 
With wind can be challenging. Wind and rain - exhausting especially with 36/day.

Lesson learned - ruined some nice headcovers with the only rain round.

42 minutes ago, aiyyer said:

The 6300 yardage is perfect for no wind conditions and plays easier and more enjoyable than my home course. 
With wind can be challenging. Wind and rain - exhausting especially with 36/day.

Lesson learned - ruined some nice headcovers with the only rain round.

bandon is about the only place i will not carry my headcovers while walking the course. Not because of rain damage, but because of weight. Youd be amazed how much those weigh when full of water. 

however, was a good reason to get some bandon swag (part of the plan right? 😉)

Good Morning,

I am considering making my second trip to Bandon and have considered flying into North Bend.  I know the risks involved and will probably opt for Eugene but if I get into a pinch what is the best way to get from North Bend Airport to Bandon Dunes in terms of transportation?  Can I rent a car there?  Are there other options and if so can anyone give me a rough estimate of cost?  I have always liked having a car on site but considering all options this time

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

31 minutes ago, BG5 said:

Good Morning,

I am considering making my second trip to Bandon and have considered flying into North Bend.  I know the risks involved and will probably opt for Eugene but if I get into a pinch what is the best way to get from North Bend Airport to Bandon Dunes in terms of transportation?  Can I rent a car there?  Are there other options and if so can anyone give me a rough estimate of cost?  I have always liked having a car on site but considering all options this time

There is a car rental at North Bend, but I'd imagine the selection is pretty limited.

In the past I've used both a cab/taxi service and Fairway Shuttle, which is a local Bandon guy in a van who's job is pretty much transporting people around. Can't remember the exact cost, I want to say FS was about $50 per person each way several years back, where the taxi was a flat rate. Split between 2 guys the taxi was a better deal. 

Should you choose to use Fairway Shuttle I suggest calling ahead of time, asap in fact, as he's got limited capacity as it's often just himself or another.

2 hours ago, BG5 said:

Good Morning,

Enterprise rents directly at the airport.  Connoisseur's has shuttles, less than $100 round trip. https://www.bandon-golf-transportation.com/

3 hours ago, BG5 said:

Good Morning,

Another group of guys that I know were at Bandon as the same time as my group last month.  They flew into North Bend via San Fran and loved it.

On departure, the North Bend SFO flight was cancelled, and they ended up having to rent a van/car one way to Eugene to get out of dodge to get back to Canada on the Sunday.  I have not spoken with any of them yet, but I suspect that cancelled flight and having to get to Eugene last minute put quite the damper on the end of their trip.

I wonder if they are still as gung-ho about flying into North Bend via SFO, given the possibility of having plans totally upended.

Edited by T2GRNN2
typo correction