Random Bandon Thread

3 hours ago, PNWBBBogeyMaster8977 said:

Is this pretty common to find some single tee time slots this quickly or Pandemic related luck?

As a single it always easy to mingle.

I would suggest that 49/50 days of the year you can walk up and get out as single with a good tee time on one of the courses. More than a few times (typically in summer) I have been driving through the area, stopped if the weather was good and  got a good tee time. Afternoons have lots of spots, but if I stay overnight in the mornings there is always single times with 3 scenarios:

1. Just on open spot with no explanation, groups moved times or whatever

2. 'bill' dropped out that morning as he was not used to walking so much but the rest of his foursome is there

3. 'John' dropped out that morning as he was not used to drinking so much but the rest of his foursome is there

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally made it out to Mecca Bandon for the first time last week. It was a VERY last-minute quick-trip (I booked my room and tee times about 3 hours before I arrived - lol). I drove in on Tuesday an

Just got home yesterday from an awesome trip to Bandon, so here is the report for anyone interested. Third time going, but definitely the most golf I have played while there.    Coming from

TBH I don't think I could in good conscience make a booking face to face and not feel guilty... "ok, now if we compare Schedule1a to Schedule3c, which gives us the best green speed progression from sl

Posted Images

Makes total sense.. I recall my Brother in Law Bill opt out of his final round on day 6 two years ago due to lower back pains.. we had a single fill in immediately!  Awesome... good to know as i think the 5 night stays may no longer be an option for a few years.. It will just be spur of the moment trips for awhile which Im digging.. higher potential for better weather days/rounds in dec/jan months of the year vs committed to a week stay that could deal you a few wild cards!

On 1/13/2021 at 9:33 PM, DFinch said:

Will do. We're hitting the road at 4am Friday morning from Portland for a 10:20 tee time. Will be back late Sat night after a sundown-chaser on Saturday afternoon, a quick dinner, and 4 hour shot home.

Bandon Dunes course report (Trails tomorrow).

Had one of those days that started in fog, teased that it would burn off, and never did. About 200 yard visibility all day which hindered the awesome views and made picking lines a challenge.

Was down to just a golf shirt by the 3rd hole despite the chilly temps (it was very humid).

Course was surprisingly soft and the greens were shockingly slow. Like putts of every length only getting halfway to the hole slow and it affected everyone in the group. I hit 7/9 greens on the front and shot 41 with four 3-putts (five total, 39 putts, ouch). Despite no real rain for several days there was a layer of moisture in the greens that was like putting on fly paper and the harder you hit it, seemingly the faster it grabbed and decelerated. 

I didn’t care, though, because I don’t come to Bandon to shoot a score. I actually had a great day tee to green but it’s more about enjoying being here in this magical place with great friends. Got some take-out ribs and beer in the belly and can’t wait for morning when we’ll mess around at the practice facility until our Trails tee time. Hoping we have less fog so we can enjoy the scenery. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* B1T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 14* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS2 5-GW DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip

2 hours ago, DFinch said:

Bandon Dunes course report (Trails tomorrow).

Had one of those days that started in fog, teased that it would burn off, and never did. About 200 yard visibility all day which hindered the awesome views and made picking lines a challenge.

Was down to just a golf shirt by the 3rd hole despite the chilly temps (it was very humid).

Course was surprisingly soft and the greens were shockingly slow. Like putts of every length only getting halfway to the hole slow and it affected everyone in the group. I hit 7/9 greens on the front and shot 41 with four 3-putts (five total, 39 putts, ouch). Despite no real rain for several days there was a layer of moisture in the greens that was like putting on fly paper and the harder you hit it, seemingly the faster it grabbed and decelerated. 

I didn’t care, though, because I don’t come to Bandon to shoot a score. I actually had a great day tee to green but it’s more about enjoying being here in this magical place with great friends. Got some take-out ribs and beer in the belly and can’t wait for morning when we’ll mess around at the practice facility until our Trails tee time. Hoping we have less fog so we can enjoy the scenery. 

The wife and I arrived late evening. 
We are playing the Trails tomorrow too, tee off I think at 12:30. 
Kinda bummed to hear about the greens and fog but dude seriously, how much better can I expect it. Weather is supposed to hold out, I extended all the way into Wednesday. Think we’ll get every course in, including the Preserve. 
Drove 7 and a half hours from other side of Seattle to get here tonight. 😆

8 hours ago, TFavor said:

The wife and I arrived late evening. 
We are playing the Trails tomorrow too, tee off I think at 12:30. 
Kinda bummed to hear about the greens and fog but dude seriously, how much better can I expect it. Weather is supposed to hold out, I extended all the way into Wednesday. Think we’ll get every course in, including the Preserve. 
Drove 7 and a half hours from other side of Seattle to get here tonight. 😆

We’re 11:50 so we’ll be just ahead of you. Don’t want to jinx it but the visibility looks 100x better this morning than it did yesterday at this time. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* B1T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 14* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS2 5-GW DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip

6 hours ago, TFavor said:

Well, if we don’t finish I’ll know who to blame 😂

Must be that fricken 11:50 time holding everything up 😂

Man what a beautiful day 🤞🏻

Ha! We were pressing the group ahead and the group behind was on our tail. Things were moving pretty good. Beautiful perfect day out there today. 

Last time on Trails I took an 8 on #7 and blew what was otherwise a good round. I commented today I was there for revenge and birdied it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmckito said:

Hey, first time @ Bandon upcoming. I booked all 5 courses and then a second round on PD and BD. 
For Bandon vets, is SR worthy of replacing the second round on either PD/BD? Thanks.

I have not played SR yet but everyone I’ve talked to has said it is a contender for new best layout on the property. The one caveat is a few have said the greens haven’t matured yet and are patchy...so if that would bother you you’d have to factor that in. 

• Like 2

Random FYI:  Called to change our reservation yesterday, switching from OM to BD on our departure day.  When the reservation email came in that evening, I noticed that one of our replay rounds on Trails had disappeared (had 12:50 and 1:00).  This is for late February, a reservation I made Jan 1 of last year, and as most of you know, those replay times are tough to come by.  I sent an email back, and thankfully got a response first thing this morning.  The missing tee time was already rebooked to another party, but thankfully the time before it was available. so now we have 12:40 and 12:50.  So short of having 10 less minutes for "lunch" between rounds, no harm no foul.  I didn't want to dig too much to find out why it happened (no need for bad juju), but I was prepared to push back a bit had we not been able to get another comparable time. 

Anyway, just a reminder to always check your reservations completely in case something random like this happens.

Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

6 hours ago, jmckito said:

Hey, first time @ Bandon upcoming. I booked all 5 courses and then a second round on PD and BD. 
For Bandon vets, is SR worthy of replacing the second round on either PD/BD? Thanks.

Depending on when you are going and with how many SR maybe just be a day. Meaning stay on it for the day makes the timing between rounds easier. On this note something that shocked me was when making original tee times because of SR’s location they make you add a 1/2 hour. So if I remember correctly when booking your 2nd round of the day they use a 5 hr time frame from when you first tee off until your 2nd tee time but if your first round is SR it has to be 5 1/2 hrs. 

5 hours ago, DFinch said:

I have not played SR yet but everyone I’ve talked to has said it is a contender for new best layout on the property. The one caveat is a few have said the greens haven’t matured yet and are patchy...so if that would bother you you’d have to factor that in. 

SR, IMO, is going to be in the same mold as OM. Some will love it and others will just think it’s a nice addition to the portfolio (that’s me). I don’t think it does anything better than any of the other courses except have views. Now don’t get me wrong, it’s still a blast but at the bottom of my list. I still say it is the perfect buddies match play course. Short hitters will still be in play against long hitters and there is a LOT of room. I look at it as when you have a room full of 9’s, which one prefer comes down to personality because they all have the looks. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jmckito said:

It's hard to say because everyone is gonna have different preferences/rankings, but it'd be hard for me to knock a second round at bandon out of the roto. Which leaves Pac...and then the question you have to ask yourself is do you want an easy round or a hard round? SR is generally easier than Pac. Both are super pretty, so you can't go wrong there. I think the finish at SR is way better - aside from 17, 14-18 at pac are pretty unspectacular, whereas 15-18 at sheep are some of the prettiest and most fun holes on the course. If you're a purist, Pac is probably a truer test if golf, but if you wanna have fun, dope views, and have real potential to go low, SR is your move. 

The beauty of it is, there's no wrong answer 🙂

• Like 1

Played Trails today. 
One thing for sure is it is a hard walk. Iced my feet all evening off and on. Considerable elevation change. 
Greens running very slow and shaggy but course is in fantastic shape other than that. 
First time playing Trails and it’s a cool course, would be premier anywhere else, but isn’t on same level as BD or PD IMO, which is pretty much to be expected. 
The par 3’s are some of the best I’ve ever seen. 
It is a course you could probably expect to see in western Washington where I’m from, but if you did it would be top 3 or 4 in state. 
As it stands, it’s a in weather it would be great, but on a gorgeous day like today was, I’d probably prefer to be on a different course. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TFavor said:

Played Trails today. 
One thing for sure is it is a hard walk. Iced my feet all evening off and on. Considerable elevation change. 
Greens running very slow and shaggy but course is in fantastic shape other than that. 
First time playing Trails and it’s a cool course, would be premier anywhere else, but isn’t on same level as BD or PD IMO, which is pretty much to be expected. 
The par 3’s are some of the best I’ve ever seen. 
It is a course you could probably expect to see in western Washington where I’m from, but if you did it would be top 3 or 4 in state. 
As it stands, it’s a in weather it would be great, but on a gorgeous day like today was, I’d probably prefer to be on a different course. 

They were definitely slow but to use those greens as a comparison since we played it the same day...the greens at Bandon Dunes the day before were (no exaggeration) twice as slow. Like crazy slow. The hills on the back are definitely a butt kicker. The single we were paired with described himself as being in "survival mode" by about the 16th. He was hurting bad. I hung in there pretty good but four hours in the car afterward had me cramping up pretty good at bedtime. I shot 80 with 3 doubles so I was pretty happy with my overall game this trip.

One of my travel mates hadn't played Trails before but had played the other courses (except SR) multiple times and declared Trails his new favorite course. I personally rank them PD/BT/BD/OM. The aesthetic and green complexes at Trails just have a sense of grandeur and there's a secluded peacefulness there that I love. Like you said, though, when you draw a perfect weather day like we had you definitely wish you had some ocean views to enjoy. Playing BD in the fog the day before where you couldn't see the beach or even the fairways past 150-200 yards was a bit of a bummer...especially for holes like #14.

BTW- I highly recommend the Chicken Obodo Bowl at Trails. That was some good vittles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DFinch said:

They were definitely slow but to use those greens as a comparison since we played it the same day...the greens at Bandon Dunes the day before were (no exaggeration) twice as slow. Like crazy slow. The hills on the back are definitely a butt kicker. The single we were paired with described himself as being in "survival mode" by about the 16th. He was hurting bad. I hung in there pretty good but four hours in the car afterward had me cramping up pretty good at bedtime. I shot 80 with 3 doubles so I was pretty happy with my overall game this trip.

One of my travel mates hadn't played Trails before but had played the other courses (except SR) multiple times and declared Trails his new favorite course. I personally rank them PD/BT/BD/OM. The aesthetic and green complexes at Trails just have a sense of grandeur and there's a secluded peacefulness there that I love. Like you said, though, when you draw a perfect weather day like we had you definitely wish you had some ocean views to enjoy. Playing BD in the fog the day before where you couldn't see the beach or even the fairways past 150-200 yards was a bit of a bummer...especially for holes like #14.

BTW- I highly recommend the Chicken Obodo Bowl at Trails. That was some good vittles.

Don’t you think that’s the greens keepers fault? The caddie tried to blame the slow greens on moisture in the air, which is partly true but still, they could mow them down and roll them at least to a respectable speed right?? Maybe they just don’t have enough staff to keep the greens running at speed or something.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TFavor said:

Don’t you think that’s the greens keepers fault? The caddie tried to blame the slow greens on moisture in the air, which is partly true but still, they could mow them down and roll them at least to a respectable speed right?? Maybe they just don’t have enough staff to keep the greens running at speed or something.

Nope, this time of year there is only so much the staff can do. One issue is I believe Trails is mid transition from Fescue to Poa. The combination will lead to uneven growth and slower surfaces. Next you have moisture issues, moisture in the ground will slow them down but depending on the moisture in the plant you may or may not want to mow. If you have ever seen a green look kind of whitish in the winter that generally means the plant held a lot of moisture and got mowed and almost acts like grass that has been scalped. As for being rolled well there are factors for yes or no as well. 

Now there are other factors as well like did they spray recently, do they have the staff (like you asked), was there a frost delay, I’m just saying there are a lot of factors that go into the decisions on what to do. In winter mow heights get raised and rolling becomes infrequent. The other issue is was the growth unexpected? Right now grass is growing around here way more than it should. Most grasses in the PNW should basically be dormant right now and aren’t. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mallrat said:

Nope, this time of year there is only so much the staff can do. One issue is I believe Trails is mid transition from Fescue to Poa. The combination will lead to uneven growth and slower surfaces. Next you have moisture issues, moisture in the ground will slow them down but depending on the moisture in the plant you may or may not want to mow. If you have ever seen a green look kind of whitish in the winter that generally means the plant held a lot of moisture and got mowed and almost acts like grass that has been scalped. As for being rolled well there are factors for yes or no as well. 

Now there are other factors as well like did they spray recently, do they have the staff (like you asked), was there a frost delay, I’m just saying there are a lot of factors that go into the decisions on what to do. In winter mow heights get raised and rolling becomes infrequent. The other issue is was the growth unexpected? Right now grass is growing around here way more than it should. Most grasses in the PNW should basically be dormant right now and aren’t. 

Played Bandon Dunes today and the greens, while not rolling 10 or 11, they were rolling quicker then the Trails was yesterday. There was an other poster who said he played Bandon Dunes 2 days ago and they were unbelievably slow. That was not the case today at all, they weren’t noticeably slow. Just average, but very very very pure. 
Bandon Dunes is far and away my favorite course I’ve played out here so far. 
Played well. Took a triple bogie on 11, which is an extremely difficult hole as it played into the wind. Hit a 4 iron shot from the fairway that put me up in the fescue on the ocean side, got the chip a little too crispy and put it back over the green and down into the valley on the club house side. From there a bad pitch, couple missed putts, wasn’t good. 
Recovered well though with a birdie on the par 3 12th and pulled out par on 13. 
Wind was difficult today and extra cold in the afternoon. Had my wife with me and she almost didn’t make it. Just kept piling my coats on her 😂

Old Mac and the Preserve tomorrow. Weather is awesome, just hoping the wind takes a little break compared to today. 
Wonder how long the weather will last like this 🤩

1 hour ago, TFavor said:

Played Bandon Dunes today and the greens, while not rolling 10 or 11, they were rolling quicker then the Trails was yesterday. There was an other poster who said he played Bandon Dunes 2 days ago and they were unbelievably slow. That was not the case today at all, they weren’t noticeably slow. Just average, but very very very pure. 
Bandon Dunes is far and away my favorite course I’ve played out here so far. 
Played well. Took a triple bogie on 11, which is an extremely difficult hole as it played into the wind. Hit a 4 iron shot from the fairway that put me up in the fescue on the ocean side, got the chip a little too crispy and put it back over the green and down into the valley on the club house side. From there a bad pitch, couple missed putts, wasn’t good. 
Recovered well though with a birdie on the par 3 12th and pulled out par on 13. 
Wind was difficult today and extra cold in the afternoon. Had my wife with me and she almost didn’t make it. Just kept piling my coats on her 😂

Old Mac and the Preserve tomorrow. Weather is awesome, just hoping the wind takes a little break compared to today. 
Wonder how long the weather will last like this 🤩

Thats great to hear that Bandon greens sped up in two days time. I hit 12 greens but had 39 putts on Bandon on Friday and lag putts were throwing rooster tails. I hit a putt past the hole one time all day. 

On 1/16/2021 at 3:55 PM, jmckito said:

No Sheep Ranch is not worth replacing either BD or PD.  I found Sheep Ranch to be a beautiful walk, but having a bunch of forgettable holes and very short par 3's. The fescue greens at Sheep Ranch are not nearly as good at BD or PD greens.

• Like 2

Just got back from my trip. Played 18 at Trails on Monday, 36 at Sheep Ranch on Tuesday, 27 at Dunes on Wednesday (frost delay), played 18 at Trails followed by 18 at Dunes on Thursday, and 18 at Pacific Dunes on Friday.  All courses in great shape.  New rankings-

1. Bandon Dunes

2. Bandon Trails

3. Pacific Dunes

4. Sheep Ranch

5. Old Mac.

E37200B1-D24E-4F92-B241-D7F730786FD1_1_105_c.jpeg.819c7ec9b2f4a6e032e5f426a0f73aba.jpeg

• Like 3
On 1/17/2021 at 3:29 AM, spud3 said:

As long as you have all five courses and the Preserve covered, you're good.  The replays are gravy.

And you can always check into switching up a round if one course or another totally rings your bell.

There really is no wrong answer...

Yep. Changed schedule to 2 BD, 2 BT, 1 PD, 1 OM, 1 SR.