Jump to content

Random Bandon Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally made it out to Mecca Bandon for the first time last week. It was a VERY last-minute quick-trip (I booked my room and tee times about 3 hours before I arrived - lol). I drove in on Tuesday an

Just got home yesterday from an awesome trip to Bandon, so here is the report for anyone interested. Third time going, but definitely the most golf I have played while there.    Coming from

TBH I don't think I could in good conscience make a booking face to face and not feel guilty... "ok, now if we compare Schedule1a to Schedule3c, which gives us the best green speed progression from sl

Posted Images

I may have made a big mistake.  I have a 25 minute layover in Phoenix, we are on a short timeline to get to our 4pm preserve time the day we arrive (March 3), so I decided to use shipsticks to make sure the clubs made it.   Once I hit checkout it gave me a label for FedEx.  I opted for 3 day service so the clubs would arrive 3/1, they recommended the clubs arrive 1-2 days ahead of your first tee time.  I live 3 hours directly south of Memphis.   The FedEx hub in Memphis has been at full capacity for days due to the weather (if you want a good read search FedEx Memphis on Twitter and read the tweets).  I didn’t even think of this before I dropped the clubs off yesterday. Major bonehead move on my part and now I’m in a panic they won’t arrive on time.  I googled it and they have rental clubs, but I sure will be bummed to go and not have my own sticks. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, dutz said:

I may have made a big mistake.  I have a 25 minute layover in Phoenix, we are on a short timeline to get to our 4pm preserve time the day we arrive (March 3), so I decided to use shipsticks to make sure the clubs made it.   Once I hit checkout it gave me a label for FedEx.  I opted for 3 day service so the clubs would arrive 3/1, they recommended the clubs arrive 1-2 days ahead of your first tee time.  I live 3 hours directly south of Memphis.   The FedEx hub in Memphis has been at full capacity for days due to the weather (if you want a good read search FedEx Memphis on Twitter and read the tweets).  I didn’t even think of this before I dropped the clubs off yesterday. Major bonehead move on my part and now I’m in a panic they won’t arrive on time.  I googled it and they have rental clubs, but I sure will be bummed to go and not have my own sticks. 

!!!!! 🥵🥵🥵

good luck champ 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this in the caddie thread but a fun idea for anyone going in a group. 
 

So if you guys go in groups, especially big groups, here’s a fun game that can be played a few different ways of you take caddies. 
 

- Everyone puts $20 in a pot. Pick a hole a couple days into your trip, I’ve always preferred 17 on Trails. Caddies do a KP on the par 3 you choose for the pot. 
 

- Now you guys can do a side pot for yourselves or make bets or however you want. If the group is big enough it will be a big deal for the caddies. If I remember right there is one very large group where the pot gets up to like $1200- 1500

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 4:31 PM, mallrat said:

I posted this in the caddie thread but a fun idea for anyone going in a group. 
 

So if you guys go in groups, especially big groups, here’s a fun game that can be played a few different ways of you take caddies. 
 

- Everyone puts $20 in a pot. Pick a hole a couple days into your trip, I’ve always preferred 17 on Trails. Caddies do a KP on the par 3 you choose for the pot. 
 

- Now you guys can do a side pot for yourselves or make bets or however you want. If the group is big enough it will be a big deal for the caddies. If I remember right there is one very large group where the pot gets up to like $1200- 1500

Speaking of caddies and betting, does anyone know the predominant betting games the caddies play using the players?

 

I have taken a caddie too many times, but each time I did I noticed there were betting with the other caddies based on what their players were doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly, not a surprise. Last weekend for the February rates and the best chance for March weather.  That's why the place sells out February after just a few hours on Jan 1

 

And the resort has figured it out.  Rates from 2016 and this year:

 

                         2016           2021

Dune Single      $120           $150   

Resort Round   $105           $130

 

That's basically a 22% jump in five years.  I don't think any other month has gone up as much.  And clearly more folks are willing to roll the dice on the weather.  It would be interesting to learn about whether that is due to more large groups going for the cheaper rates.

 

February's a goner...

  • Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spud3 said:

Sadly, not a surprise. Last weekend for the February rates and the best chance for March weather.  That's why the place sells out February after just a few hours on Jan 1

 

And the resort has figured it out.  Rates from 2016 and this year:

 

                         2016           2021

Dune Single      $120           $150   

Resort Round   $105           $130

 

That's basically a 22% jump in five years.  I don't think any other month has gone up as much.  And clearly more folks are willing to roll the dice on the weather.  It would be interesting to learn about whether that is due to more large groups going for the cheaper rates.

 

February's a goner...

It was $95 back in 2013 😉

Wonder what it was like waaaaaaaay back in the day.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was there last Thursday thru Sunday, and the only time it really felt busy was at the practice facility on day of arrival and at the punchbowl. It was the busiest I have ever seen the punchbowl. Having takeout only was fine but definitely missed being able to have group dinners and whatnot.

We had INCREDIBLE weather over our whole trip.

- Thursday mid morning had some rain before we teed off then was beautiful on Pacific. To those who saw my earlier post about getting extra holes in... We finished around 330ish and waited for the rest of our group of 16 to finish. Me and 1 other guy decided to go back out on Pac around 4-4:15 expecting to play 1-7 but we had no one in front of us for 7 holes, so we played 1-11, then 5-6-7 and timed it perfectly with sun going down around 6-615. Got 14 extra holes in just under 2hrs

- Friday AM we were at Trails and it was BLOWING on 1st tee, then once back into the trees it was calm. Got some heavy rain/hail/wind in from holes 6-10 then the sun came back out for rest of round. Bandon in PM, had a 1-2 club wind most of round and 3 club wind on 12 and 15. Then as we were walking up 18, the sun was shining but it rained on us lol

- Saturday AM Old Mac, it was beautiful sun shine with no wind. I couldn't believe it. Calmest weather I have ever played Old Mac in. One of our guys had an ace on Old Mac #5, so we had a very fun evening ahead of us on his dime 🙂 Preserve in the afternoon was perfect. I think our guy who had the ace was lucky the Bunker Bar wasnt open lol

- Sunday AM at Sheep Ranch. Little to no wind, very cold in morning but by 7th hole I had ditched my vest then took my under armour off after 10 and played in just polo and pants. our forecaddie and other caddies I spoke to said it was the calmest he had seen it since it opened weather wise. Sheep was a very fun course, views were very special. I never had the chance to play Sheep prior to it having a routing. It was a fantastic addition to this incredible golf destination.

 

Fantastic trip and we always go in Feb, and have had some nasty weather in the past. This was an absolute treat of a trip. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice @R4haehl

Was the ace using a backstop and having it come back down to the pin? We've had some close calls there over the years, with balls funneling back down.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, duffer987 said:

Nice @R4haehl

Was the ace using a backstop and having it come back down to the pin? We've had some close calls there over the years, with balls funneling back down.

It was front left pin. I wasn't in the 4some but I guess he 2 hopped it into the cup. And he was last to hit in their group too. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week of every spring month is busy, the opposite is probably the first week of those months.  We arrived Tuesday, departed Saturday of last week.  Bandon never feels crowded, but there were definitely lots of people.  The lot at the main lodge was pretty full everyday.   As R4haehl said, the weather was fantastic.  Of our 7 rounds, we had 3 club winds for 1 round, and a 4 hole stretch on Friday that was like the scene from Caddyshack (wind, sleet, rain).  Other that that we had a mix of light drizzle, sun, clouds, light to moderate winds.  They offered us lunch vouchers as a token for not having in person dining that was a nice touch.  February paid off once again. 

 

This was our groups first time on SR.  While no one put it head and shoulders above the others, it's definitely in the mix with Pacific, Bandon, and Trails for the top spot.  I'd have to go with Spuds sentiment of the favorite being which ever one he's playing.  The conditioning on SR, while fine, the greens seemed to be more mud/sand than grass, and the fairways were a tad rough.  It needs to mature, duh, and the 60,000 rounds (?) since it opened is pretty intense (at least that's what I recall the starter saying).  The condition of the other courses (didn't play OM), was the best I've seen in my 8 years.  The greens on the other three were hands down the best I've seen.

 

Lily Pond rooms have been remodeled, and are nice and large.  I think there are only 8 rooms/building?  So if you have a large group, it's almost like you have it to yourselves.

 

Carry on!

  • Like 2

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, buzlin said:

Last week of every spring month is busy, the opposite is probably the first week of those months.  We arrived Tuesday, departed Saturday of last week.  Bandon never feels crowded, but there were definitely lots of people.  The lot at the main lodge was pretty full everyday.   As R4haehl said, the weather was fantastic.  Of our 7 rounds, we had 3 club winds for 1 round, and a 4 hole stretch on Friday that was like the scene from Caddyshack (wind, sleet, rain).  Other that that we had a mix of light drizzle, sun, clouds, light to moderate winds.  They offered us lunch vouchers as a token for not having in person dining that was a nice touch.  February paid off once again. 

 

This was our groups first time on SR.  While no one put it head and shoulders above the others, it's definitely in the mix with Pacific, Bandon, and Trails for the top spot.  I'd have to go with Spuds sentiment of the favorite being which ever one he's playing.  The conditioning on SR, while fine, the greens seemed to be more mud/sand than grass, and the fairways were a tad rough.  It needs to mature, duh, and the 60,000 rounds (?) since it opened is pretty intense (at least that's what I recall the starter saying).  The condition of the other courses (didn't play OM), was the best I've seen in my 8 years.  The greens on the other three were hands down the best I've seen.

 

Lily Pond rooms have been remodeled, and are nice and large.  I think there are only 8 rooms/building?  So if you have a large group, it's almost like you have it to yourselves.

 

Carry on!

LOL @ the caddyshack scene - that is exactly what it was for 4 holes!!

 

Forgot to mention the lunch vouchers they included which was definitely a nice touch for a few "free" meals

 

Agree that Sheep does need to mature a bit. And also, it has received a TON of play and did look a little beat up in places. Starter told us that more people have played 36 holes there than any other course since it opened.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Making my maiden voyage to Bandon in a couple weeks. Any tips or must haves for using their push/pull carts? When I was planning a Scotland trip there were a lot of recs for bringing a bungee cord due to the condition of some of the carts. Is this necessary at Bandon?

 

Also, anyone ever use ski socks with their golf shoes when walking Bandon? I'm a native Floridian so not much experience with cold weather golf. I have a few pairs of Smartwool ski socks that keep my feet warm and blister free when skiing. Thinking they might provide the same benefit walking?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, srs06d said:

Making my maiden voyage to Bandon in a couple weeks. Any tips or must haves for using their push/pull carts? When I was planning a Scotland trip there were a lot of recs for bringing a bungee cord due to the condition of some of the carts. Is this necessary at Bandon?

 

Also, anyone ever use ski socks with their golf shoes when walking Bandon? I'm a native Floridian so not much experience with cold weather golf. I have a few pairs of Smartwool ski socks that keep my feet warm and blister free when skiing. Thinking they might provide the same benefit walking?

 

Kentwool golf socks are great for cold weather.  You can order direct from Kentwool or from Amazon.  

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

No experience with ski socks, but compression socks help me a lot.  Basically, anything that you use to avoid blisters will be helpful.  Just changing socks between rounds is usually enough, if you are accustomed to walking your rounds.

 

The RikSha straps are hit & miss, some better than others, but there's always a stack of them at each course, so you can pick one with a good strap.  One of these is the hot set up for using the pull carts.  If you don't have time to wait for an Amazon delivery, you might be able to find one at a baby supply store.  Super helpful for carrying your drink and rangefinder.

 

Enjoy the trip and be sure to write up a trip report!

  • Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

SRS06d,  I was @ Bandon in Jan 2020 & the pushcarts were in good shape.  At that time players were allowed to take their carts right across the green surfaces.  (Check with the respective pro shops about their policy when you get there.)

 

As others have noted in previous discussions, there are spots where carts are inconvenient, such as walking from Pacific's 13th green to the 14th tee box.  But if you are with a group with a caddie, ask the caddie where to leave the cart.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@srs06d - they typically have sales, last time I bought some there were around $18, but these have a nice extra cushion that keep the feet warm:

https://www.gobros.com/products/darn-tough-mens-hiking-boot-socks-full-cushion

My 'regular' golfing socks are these:

https://www.gobros.com/products/darn-tough-hiker-micro-crew-cushion-mens-socks?variant=30148286218324

 

I only have Darn Tough socks now, whether for golf, hiking, or casual, so makes me a bit of a DT homer, but they are excellent IMHO.

  • Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a lot of success with running socks,  in particular Balega Enduro.  Be mindful of the thickness of any "new" socks you use, as your golf shoes may not fit correctly, potentially causing blister/comfort issues.  And as mentioned, changing socks between rounds is much nicer than it sounds.   You won't know till you know.  🙂

 

The pull carts at SR had cup holders, which were convenient.  The other courses we played (not sure about OM) did not have them.  Pull carts are great on all the courses IMO.  Three wheeled push carts can be more trouble than they're worth on Pacific.

  • Like 1

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, srs06d said:

 

Also, anyone ever use ski socks with their golf shoes when walking Bandon? I'm a native Floridian so not much experience with cold weather golf. I have a few pairs of Smartwool ski socks that keep my feet warm and blister free when skiing. Thinking they might provide the same benefit walking?

I guess 'cold' weather is relative term, but March at Bandon should not be cold enough to do anything special to keep your toes warm. You are looking 60* today. Waterproof shoes and your regular socks should be more than fine. Remember when you are walking the entire time so your feet will be generating plenty of heat on their own, they likely will be sweating.

 

I always change socks between rounds and if I have enough time even shoes. Kind of a must do, to prevent blister and just freshen up. 

 

One thing about Bandon is even keeping your feet dry is not a major issue most of the time. The turf drains very well, so even in the rain you are not walking through puddles.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carpenter792 said:

Lol. My feet were most certainly wet after this mornings round. @dutz did you have dry feet?

 

I should have been more clear about my point, my feet don't get wet from walking in water, it more coming in from above in heavy rain that will get you there. Mind you I use some good waterproof shoes when needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2021 at 12:38 PM, srs06d said:

Making my maiden voyage to Bandon in a couple weeks. Any tips or must haves for using their push/pull carts? When I was planning a Scotland trip there were a lot of recs for bringing a bungee cord due to the condition of some of the carts. Is this necessary at Bandon?

 

Also, anyone ever use ski socks with their golf shoes when walking Bandon? I'm a native Floridian so not much experience with cold weather golf. I have a few pairs of Smartwool ski socks that keep my feet warm and blister free when skiing. Thinking they might provide the same benefit walking?

I was a huge Kentwool fan until I tried Balega anti-blister socks. I guess Balega has two layers so the idea is those layers rub on each other instead of against your foot. You don’t notice it or anything while wearing. 
 

None of these nice socks are cheap (about $13 a pair) but very worthwhile. I find Balega significantly more durable. There are some other multilayer anti-blister socks on Amazon but I find Balega the most comfortable. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • **GIVEAWAY** Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour Fairway ENTER NOW!
      Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour 14.5* fairway giveaway!!!.To enter reply in this thread that you're IN!
       
      That's it. You'll be entered into the giveaway (one entry per person). Winner chosen at random in two weeks. Be sure to check out the attached pics. Good luck!
       
      If you are not a member her please register here to allow you to reply to this post and enter. Registration is free... https://forums.golfwrx.com/register/
      ======================================================================================================
      We randomize all the number of posts and the #1 number on the top is the winner. Say there is 1,000 replies from members. We will randomize 1 to 1,000 using a website that has a randomizer. It scrambles the numbers and the #1 is the first place and the #2 is the second etc. If the winner has duplicate entries we count the first
       





       
        • Like
      • 842 replies
    • 2021 Valero Texas Open - discussion & links
      Please put any questions or comments here. 
       
      This week, the PGA Tour is at TPC San Antonio on the Oaks Course for the Valero Texas Open. GolfWRX was on-site Tuesday to catch a glimpse into the bags of some of the world’s top golfers.
       
      The field of 144 is getting ready to battle starting Thursday for the $7.7 million purse, with $1.386 million going to the winner. The tournament is also the last event where players can qualify for The Masters, just like Canadian Corey Conners did last year.
       
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.
       

       
      2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #1 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #2 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #3 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #4 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #5 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #6 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #7 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #8  


       
      Cameron putters (added Bernd Wiesberger's custom T-11) -2021 Valero Texas Open Piretti putters -2021 Valero Texas Open Branden Grace testing AutoFlex shaft @ 2021 Valero Texas Open  
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.
       

       
        • Like
      • 29 replies
    • **GIVEAWAY** Odyssey Ten Triple Track Putter! ENTER NOW!
      NEW Odyssey Ten Triple Track putter giveaway!!!.To enter reply in this thread that you're IN!
       
      That's it. You'll be entered into the giveaway (one entry per person). Winner chosen at random in two weeks. Be sure to check out the attached pics. Good luck!
       
      If you are not a member her please register here to allow you to reply to this post and enter. Registration is free... https://forums.golfwrx.com/register/
      ======================================================================================================
      We randomize all the number of posts and the #1 number on the top is the winner. Say there is 1,000 replies from members. We will randomize 1 to 1,000 using a website that has a randomizer. It scrambles the numbers and the #1 is the first place and the #2 is the second etc. If the winner has duplicate entries we count the first
       





       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 1,523 replies
    • 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #1
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #2
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #3
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #4
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #5
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #6
       
       

       
      Hideki testing putters at WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Odyssey/Toulon Atlanta putter - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Cameron putters - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Patrick Reed testing TPT shafts 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
       
       
      • 54 replies
    • 2021 Players - discussion and links
      Please post any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Players - Monday #1
      2021 Players - Monday #2
      2021 Players - Monday #3
      2021 Players - Monday #4
      2021 Players - Tuesday #1
      2021 Players - Tuesday #2
      2021 Players - Tuesday #3
      2021 Players - Tuesday #4
      2021 Players - Tuesday #5
      2021 Players - Tuesday #6
       
       

       
      Maverick McNealy's custom 1 of 1 Callaway Apex MB irons - 2021 Players
      Adam Long's Cameron T-5 proto - 2021 Players
      Abraham Ancer's custom Muira irons and custom MMT shafts - 2021 Players
      Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Players
      Jon Rahm's bag - 2021 Players
      Xander Schauffele's bag - 2021 Players
      Sergio with a Cameron putter - 2021 Players
      Cameron T11 & 11.5 putters - 2021 Players
      Sergio Garcia's clubs - 2021 Players
      Scott Brown's Odyssey gamer - 2021 Players
       
       
       
      • 52 replies

×
×
  • Create New...