Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

42 minutes ago, Madhoshi said:

I'll be at Bandon this upcoming weekend (flying into Eugene Sat at noon). We have a 4 some teeing off Bandon at 3:20. Think we can get in at least 9, or more? And is there a short loop anybody recommends? Thanks in advance! 

Landing at noon in Eugene and teeing off at 3:20, yikes!  I hope you make it, even if you're late, you should have time for a good amount of golf. 

If you don't make your 3:20 and are just trying to get something in, there are lots of posts on short loops.  Front at Bandon is the most logical short loop.  My favorite is Pacific 1-11, back to 5-7, repeat as you like and finish on 7.  

Edited by jrg75
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

Landing at noon in Eugene and teeing off at 3:20, yikes!  I hope you make it, even if you're late, you should have time for a good amount of golf. 

If you don't make your 3:20 and are just trying to get something in, there are lots of posts on short loops.  Front at Bandon is the most logical short loop.  My favorite is Pacific 1-11, back to 5-7, repeat as you like and finish on 7.  

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much! It's been a while since I was at Bandon, last trip was Feb 2016. I'm definitely pumped! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Madhoshi said:

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much! It's been a while since I was at Bandon, last trip was Feb 2016. I'm definitely pumped! 

I was there at end of Feb and did the Pac 1-11, 5-7 to squeeze 14 extra holes in ~2hrs on Day 1. We had a little less daylight than you do now in March (thanks to daylight saving time) and it worked perfectly. I think if you were to tee off at 3:20 you should have enough to get 18 in if you play in ~4hrs

I'm curious to hear the experiences of people who have gone as a single, or at least with less than a full foursome. 

My guess is that everyone who makes the trek there is fairly dedicated to the game, up for the challenge, and generally glad to be in heaven for a few days. I wouldn't expect many negative experiences with being paired with strangers, but you never know. 

Does a single typically bond more with their caddie than the other players? Do you have a split a caddie with a stranger? Interested to hear from people who have flown solo there. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

We flew as a twosome in October.  Had no problem with any of the people we were paired with (and we were paired with a couple twosomes for multiple rounds).  I think played with probably 10 different players over our 8 rounds. Only outlier was "I came all this way, I might as well play back" guy (we were all playing greens), but it really wasn't too bad. I think your instincts are spot on.  The travel and $$ required limits the "Brads and Chads" who just want pound beers and hack around. 

• Like 2

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Great thread thanks for everyone contributing......

Going for the 8th time in April, very excited here is the breakdown:

April 14th - Pacific & Preserve

April 15th - Bandon & Pacific

April 16th - Old Mac & Sheep Ranch

April 17th - Trails & Bandon

April 18th - Sheep Ranch then head back to Seattle

Trying to fit a Punch Bowl in there one of those evenings, happy to be going in April with plenty of daylight.

Playing Sheep Ranch for the first time, been watching the "No Laying Up" Oregon video's which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND they do an outstanding job, getting a feel for the course and basically getting so stoked to go.

Can anyone talk about their recent experience with the evening festivities??  What is open right now, any outdoor seating for dinners?  I would prefer to eat outside anyway, wondering how all the restaurants are set up?

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, plutch said:

Trying to fit a Punch Bowl in there one of those evenings, happy to be going in April with plenty of daylight.

Playing Sheep Ranch for the first time, been watching the "No Laying Up" Oregon video's which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND they do an outstanding job, getting a feel for the course and basically getting so stoked to go.

Can anyone talk about their recent experience with the evening festivities??  What is open right now, any outdoor seating for dinners?  I would prefer to eat outside anyway, wondering how all the restaurants are set up?

Thanks!

I'll be headed there this weekend and will report back. My understanding is they have tents set up as first come first serve, and take out to be eaten in your room. I have a group of 4 of us, staying in the chrome lofts, so either is fine with us at this point. 

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

I'm curious to hear the experiences of people who have gone as a single, or at least with less than a full foursome. 

My guess is that everyone who makes the trek there is fairly dedicated to the game, up for the challenge, and generally glad to be in heaven for a few days. I wouldn't expect many negative experiences with being paired with strangers, but you never know. 

Does a single typically bond more with their caddie than the other players? Do you have a split a caddie with a stranger? Interested to hear from people who have flown solo there. 

I think Reservations does their best to pair up singles consistently if their course preferences are the same...for example, I was paired up with a single AM on Old Mac and then PM on Pac. Another single in our group during Pac was paired up with me the next morning at Sheep and then that afternoon with the other single on BD.

Luckily for me during my four day trip last year, I didn't have any bad experiences with my fellow groups. I'd say the caddies that were paired up with singles did a great job of balancing the relationship with their golfer and the rest of the group. The caddies in my group gave advice/tips to everyone and didn't section themselves off from only "their guy".

Granted I play almost all of my golf at home as a single and enjoy meeting new folks, so long as they don't have a sour attitude and don't talk to my ball 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, plutch said:

Thanks!

Sounds like a great trip and followup to Masters week.  I'm going as a solo for my 5th trip near the same time, April 12-15:

April 12: Preserve/Practice Center

April 13: Pacific AM, Trails PM

April 14: OM AM, Bandon PM

April 15: Sheep AM, Pacific PM

As a solo, I plan to play as many holes as possible and collapse back in my room to a plate of meatloaf and some red wine.  I was there in August and had a similar game plan, incredible experience.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

...I'd say the caddies that were paired up with singles did a great job of balancing the relationship with their golfer and the rest of the group. The caddies in my group gave advice/tips to everyone and didn't section themselves off from only "their guy"...."

I will use this as segway for my question...a foursome where some have caddies and some don't.... 

I am making the pilgrimage to Bandon in November with three buddies, all of whom will first-timers.  One buddy and I are taking caddies for sure (double bag is OK, single bag would be preferred, but that is not the issue).  The other two are giving serious thought to not taking caddies.  I am trying to convince them that having a caddie will significantly make the Bandon experience better.   The two guys who are waffling, while they typically play between 80 and 100 rounds per year and are low to mid single digit HC's, ride for almost all of their rounds. 

Is it fair and/or expected that I ask the two "non-caddie" players to tip the caddie over and above what my buddy and I will pay our caddie?  I am not looking for them to subsidize part of my payment, but on the other hand, I don't want them to make use of our caddies (line of intended play, getting a line on shots, finding stray balls, maybe even some putting help or even raking the odd bunker) for free.  If I can't convince them to get their own caddie, am I out of line to tell them to be ready to tip "our" caddie if they make use of this knowledge/guidance?  Would that amount be $20 or so, or the $40/player a group caddie would cost?

I played Bethpage Black a few years ago, and while I had a caddie and paid the caddie the expected fee + tip, I was disappointed in the other three guys (who I was paired with and didn't know) who made use of my caddie for target lines, searching for balls, and green reading.  He must have saved them at least a half dozen balls each.  I was floored that they walked off without thinking of giving him some cash.  Again, I wasn't looking for them to subsidize what I was paying, but they got off pretty easily.

Thanks for the comments.

250 days until tee off @ Bandon....

• Like 1

Absolutely would expect them to kick in maybe $20 pp / per round. And like you said, not to subsidize *your* experience but moreso to pay for what the caddie is doing for them. I've been in this situation a few times where I was the only one with a caddie and the other players always kicked in. Esp if the guy is pointing out lines off the tee, raking a bunker for them here and there, maybe pointing out where a lost ball migh tbe - that sort of thing. $20 seems very reasonable.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

41 minutes ago, T2GRNN2 said:

I will use this as segway for my question...a foursome where some have caddies and some don't.... 

I am making the pilgrimage to Bandon in November with three buddies, all of whom will first-timers.  One buddy and I are taking caddies for sure (double bag is OK, single bag would be preferred, but that is not the issue).  The other two are giving serious thought to not taking caddies.  I am trying to convince them that having a caddie will significantly make the Bandon experience better.   The two guys who are waffling, while they typically play between 80 and 100 rounds per year and are low to mid single digit HC's, ride for almost all of their rounds. 

Is it fair and/or expected that I ask the two "non-caddie" players to tip the caddie over and above what my buddy and I will pay our caddie?  I am not looking for them to subsidize part of my payment, but on the other hand, I don't want them to make use of our caddies (line of intended play, getting a line on shots, finding stray balls, maybe even some putting help or even raking the odd bunker) for free.  If I can't convince them to get their own caddie, am I out of line to tell them to be ready to tip "our" caddie if they make use of this knowledge/guidance?  Would that amount be $20 or so, or the $40/player a group caddie would cost?

I played Bethpage Black a few years ago, and while I had a caddie and paid the caddie the expected fee + tip, I was disappointed in the other three guys (who I was paired with and didn't know) who made use of my caddie for target lines, searching for balls, and green reading.  He must have saved them at least a half dozen balls each.  I was floored that they walked off without thinking of giving him some cash.  Again, I wasn't looking for them to subsidize what I was paying, but they got off pretty easily.

Thanks for the comments.

I think it is kind of common knowledge that if a caddie helps you tip them right? That being said, any time I play without a caddie and someone has a caddie I never ask for any lines, to clean my ball or anything of that nature. Searching for a ball sure. If that is the extent of it I don't believe they owe it at that point. I'll still throw a tip even then, nothing huge. If he or she helps with more than that I think it is pretty standard to throw a tip that you feel appropriate. I think if you chose to not have a caddie that is on you and they shouldn't help you. But usually they are just trying to keep the group going. 

Edited by mci711
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, T2GRNN2 said:

Thanks for the comments.

How familiar are the other two with using caddies in general? The first time I went without a caddie after the first day as I was split double bagging and groups were changed. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've played golf using a caddie of any sort, and not knowing any better I didn't realize I should tip when carrying my own that first day, but then tipped the guy the next day to make up for it. FWIW I didn't use that caddie much at all, didn't ask for lines but listened when he gave it out. In my conversations with other caddies the next trip they said they don't expect it from a guy they're not working with, but any amount is appreciated if they're giving a level of assistance. Sometimes it's unavoidable as a player trying to go it alone as they'll start raking your trap while you're still in it or will clean a ball unprompted as well, and some simply stand on a tee box and tell you where to go. In the case of your guys at Bethpage, they definitely should have chipped in. And if the caddie and group will remain the same the entire weekend it probably would go a long way for the camaraderie of the trip to throw in a few bucks at least here or there. In the long run $20 each round is nothing in comparison to the cost of the entire trip.

1 hour ago, T2GRNN2 said:

Thanks for the comments.

I have never taken a caddie and always have played Bandon as a twosome. When the other twosome has a caddie, my approach has been to tip if I get any help and not tip if I don't. More often than not, I don't because I don't engage their caddie or use the caddie in any meaningful way. I like to work through the course myself, which is why I'm not a caddie guy. But there have been instances where the caddie has given me a handful of lines or suggestions. In those instances I have tipped $20.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for the comments.  One of the other two guys has never used a caddie and the other may have, thought I am not 100% sure.

If I am unsuccessful in convincing them to get caddies (finances are not the issue), I will suggest beforehand that they consider tipping the caddie if the caddie assists in their round.  As an aside, three of us are 50+, and my buddy who will share a caddie is early 60's.

Both of these guys, while great guys, will likely have a challenge enjoying the golf if they walk & carry/push for all of their rounds.  We are playing PD/BP day one, SR day two, BD/BD day three, BT/PD day four, and OM day five.  I walk 75% of my rounds, split 50/50 between carrying and pushing.  The buddy who will share the caddie with me rides 100% of his rounds, but will have no trouble walking this much golf with a looper lugging his clubs.  I suspect the other two, who rarely if ever walk the course, will struggle with all the walking/pushing over five consecutive days, which is why I am trying to convince them to spring for caddies, at a minimum for the non preserve round and the first rounds of each day.  I am convinced they will get much more out of their trip.

I didn't get a caddie at Bandon but had at least one in each of my groups. I never asked for a line, read, etc. but received them quite often. I'd grab them something to eat or drink from the halfway house during the round to try and make up for it, out of appreciation.

One of the caddies I was paired with was double-bagging a father / 12 year old son at Sheep. He'd recommend a club or line for the kid and the kid would do his own thing; he cracked a joke to me saying he'd rather give me the advice because I'd hit it where he said to, lol. We laughed about it and I gave him a small tip after the round.

I would say nothing ever felt forced though, the caddies never lingered around expecting a tip from others in the group. Naturally though to your point @T2GRNN2 if your buddies are asking for help, it's definitely in their best interest to pitch in on the tip.

1 hour ago, T2GRNN2 said:

I suspect the other two, who rarely if ever walk the course, will struggle with all the walking/pushing over five consecutive days, which is why I am trying to convince them to spring for caddies, at a minimum for the non preserve round and the first rounds of each day.  I am convinced they will get much more out of their trip.

Yes, a million times yes.

I don't want to act like I know you or your buds, but if they aren't walking often or regularly now, 5 days lugging their own clubs will eat them alive and risk making their trip "unenjoyable" at some point. The tiredness will outweigh the experience. If they don't want to have the expense of a caddie each round, break it up and do caddie every other day and pull carts on the others.

I'm 31 and walk a round once a week - on the 4th and final day of my trip, my ankles and calves were burning. Not to the point where I couldn't play anymore (truthfully I would have stayed another month if possible) but where it made walking uncomfortable. Do it right and make it memorable.

I walk 98% of my rounds at home. I walked 36 x 4 with a caddie at BD and I was pretty beat up after 4 days of that. And that was with a caddie. I think people who have never been out there may think Bandon as a whole is just a flat piece of property by the ocean. But there are so many small but sneaky elevation changes out there, I think it would kill you if you were a 100% rider and this was the first course you chose to walk.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

2 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

One of the caddies I was paired with was double-bagging a father / 12 year old son at Sheep. He'd recommend a club or line for the kid and the kid would do his own thing; he cracked a joke to me saying he'd rather give me the advice because I'd hit it where he said to, lol. We laughed about it and I gave him a small tip after the round.

LOL.  I always make sure to advise my caddie that it's not that I am not trying to follow his advice, it's just that I can't actually hit the ball where he is telling me to. 

• Haha 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

4 hours ago, T2GRNN2 said:

Ok, thanks for the comments.  One of the other two guys has never used a caddie and the other may have, thought I am not 100% sure.

If I am unsuccessful in convincing them to get caddies (finances are not the issue), I will suggest beforehand that they consider tipping the caddie if the caddie assists in their round.  As an aside, three of us are 50+, and my buddy who will share a caddie is early 60's.

Both of these guys, while great guys, will likely have a challenge enjoying the golf if they walk & carry/push for all of their rounds.  We are playing PD/BP day one, SR day two, BD/BD day three, BT/PD day four, and OM day five.  I walk 75% of my rounds, split 50/50 between carrying and pushing.  The buddy who will share the caddie with me rides 100% of his rounds, but will have no trouble walking this much golf with a looper lugging his clubs.  I suspect the other two, who rarely if ever walk the course, will struggle with all the walking/pushing over five consecutive days, which is why I am trying to convince them to spring for caddies, at a minimum for the non preserve round and the first rounds of each day.  I am convinced they will get much more out of their trip.

If you're all mates and part of the same foursome, they are tipping your caddie. They will absolutely be paying attention to your caddies advice on the tee and will likely earwig green reads too. I'd suggest to them they take turns each round (that you two have one and they don't) giving the caddie $50 to cover the both of them. Of course convincing them to go around on even terms - and have their own caddie - with you two would be better still.

Funnily enough I was just saying to some WRXers I played with yesterday (I'm done and home, they are still there) that I can now have some first hand knowledge of what non walkers/non-less active people feel like after a few days, as I'd spent the previous 6 weeks not golfing and being largely inactive. After replaying Trails (yes I know) on Day 5 of 6 on my trip, my feet were literally throbbing for the first time ever, when I got back to the room and took shoes/socks off. It was a - oh hey that's a new sensation moment. Fine the next day, but still odd.

Caddie or no caddie, think your non-walking mates need to try playing some golf this season as it was meant to be played 😉

Edited by duffer987

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

double post - since we cannot delete posts anymore 🙂

@me05501 - assuming you're a well adjusted single, you'll be paired with other like minded well adjusted singles, twosomes, or threesomes.

My broad strokes observation is the yobbos and music blaring knob jockeys are the ones in groups of 8 or more*, that seem to be enjoying the away from the wife time/regress to high school time as much as the golf.

I just finished my first solo trip in ages and teed it up 10 times in 6 days. 8 of those were with unknown randos and everyone was grand. I ended up replaying with the same twosome one day as we got on great and almost did the same with a single another day, but frost delays made schedules trickier.

It's just golf. The weather can have a much larger impact on your enjoyment than your playing partners.

*This goes without saying there are larger groups of upstanding citizens.

Edited by duffer987
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

On 3/16/2021 at 7:18 PM, Madhoshi said:

I'll be at Bandon this upcoming weekend (flying into Eugene Sat at noon). We have a 4 some teeing off Bandon at 3:20. Think we can get in at least 9, or more? And is there a short loop anybody recommends? Thanks in advance! 

9 holes easy. Decent weather and you've got 4hr 10min of good light + another 15min or so after that. See how the pace is shaping up after you come off 8. If it's good keep going. If it's slow, go back to the 4th tee (assuming there is no one on 3rd green) and then play in. Gets you 14 holes and a repeat of the best 3 hole stretch on property 🙂

F.T.

13 minutes ago, duffer987 said:

9 holes easy. Decent weather and you've got 4hr 10min of good light + another 15min or so after that. See how the pace is shaping up after you come off 8. If it's good keep going. If it's slow, go back to the 4th tee (assuming there is no one on 3rd green) and then play in. Gets you 14 holes and a repeat of the best 3 hole stretch on property 🙂

good advice thanks.

• Like 1

I’ve only used caddies at a few notable courses, Shoal Creek and a few times at The Honors Course. Both courses had minimum caddie fees and minimum expected tips too, but only for the players assigned to the caddie. My experience is that the member in the group will explain the policies to the group and everyone smoothly complies. 

Full-time professional caddies probably become excellent judges of who is likely to tip or not, and how much, and they probably don’t adjust the way they do their job at all. The ones I’ve met consider their job to be important and worth doing right, and they feel like a part of that job is making the group comfortable and making sure everyone enjoys his round as much as possible. 

Another part of their job is representing the course, which includes keeping play flowing smoothly for every group. Helping players find the right line off a blind tee, or even helping search for a ball, can fall into that category.

I’d certainly tip another player’s caddie if he helped me, but I can imagine a lot of folks wouldn’t. I don’t expect the caddie would make any broad judgment about the players who tipped or didn’t. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

8 hours ago, T2GRNN2 said:

This is how I would play it, if they provided me value.  Last year we had a group of 3, a forecaddy the first time on each track and always had a single with us, I don’t think any of them tipped the guys.  I also played at Trinity Forrest in Dallas, guys caddy didn’t acknowledge me, maybe helped look for a ball once, but that was all. I didn’t tip him, nor would anyone have expected it...I don’t think

• Like 2