2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

2 hours ago, duffer987 said:

"...Caddie or no caddie, think your non-walking mates need to try playing some golf this season as it was meant to be played 😉..."

I agree with you 100%.  The problem is, the two guys who right now say they don't need/want a caddie, play all of their golf on two mountain courses with plenty of elevation changes, so it's not so easy for them to walk when they play.  The third guy and I belong to another course in a different city, where I walk most of my rounds.  

They won't be "milking" the caddie for guidance and advice, but I am sure they will make use of the caddie.  If I politely tell them to tip/compensate the caddie if they think they are getting help from him, they will.  They are not jerks or a-holes.

In a perfect world, I will be able to convince them to share a looper together.  It will make their trip that much more enjoyable, and by extension, mine as well.

• Like 1

I've done most of my rounds without a caddy and as a single without one, my experience was that pre-COVID, the caddy spent alot of time for other players by managing the group around the green, tending flag sticks, raking bunkers, etc.  I would always tip for this in addition to advice provided.

I still tip now ($20 per round seems customary) if I get solicited help but if it's just me overhearing advice given to other players on what line to take or how a green generally breaks, I don't think it's warranted.  The searching for golf balls is a case by case basis, depends on how I'm hitting it (aka how many times I'm searching) and how much help I received.

Edited by jrg75

23 minutes ago, T2GRNN2 said:

I agree with you 100%.  The problem is, the two guys who right now say they don't need/want a caddie, play all of their golf on two mountain courses with plenty of elevation changes, so it's not so easy for them to walk when they play.  The third guy and I belong to another course in a different city, where I walk most of my rounds.  

They won't be "milking" the caddie for guidance and advice, but I am sure they will make use of the caddie.  If I politely tell them to tip/compensate the caddie if they think they are getting help from him, they will.  They are not jerks or a-holes.

In a perfect world, I will be able to convince them to share a looper together.  It will make their trip that much more enjoyable, and by extension, mine as well.

That's a shame about their regular courses.

Ya they're your mates, you know what they will/won't do. I've been a few places where caddies have started giving un-caddied me unsolicited advice and I'll take it with a polite nod and give them some money at the end eventhough I wasn't looking for it and I've had a few rounds in Scotland where I ended up talking to someone else's caddy about footy or rugby or something local and I've tipped them, as I felt bad I was taking away their time from their player, lol.

In the end you'll be playing awesome courses and having an awesome time, but yes the wait is a killer 🙂

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Only advice I can give on being in a group where others have caddies and you don't:

Don't ask for anything from the other guys' caddie(s).  That's the only rule.  If you get unsolicited direct advice/help (i.e., he/she gives you a line or club choice or other direct advice that only pertains to you), you can determine if it's worth a tip (and $20 is a standard) or not.  That probably won't happen much.  They are working for one guy (two if double-bagging), and that is where their focus will be.  They will certainly be friendly with everyone and will do all they can to keep the vibe good, but make no mistake that their guy is their guy.

If you are the guy who has the caddie, it's up to you to set the terms, which includes telling them that it's okay to help out your buddies.  But only if you are sure they'll kick in something at the end of the round.  You should make that clear with your buddies before the round starts.

I've witnessed groups where the others kept hitting up their buddy's caddie for advice, and they were politely told "I'm not working for you."

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

And +1 on getting your non-walker guys to spring for a looper, at least for a few rounds.  Walking Trails and PD in the same day is a grind, even if you're in good shape, and especially near the end of a trip, and even moreso if you've had some heavy weather.

I'm three weeks out from my fourth Bandon trip. Very excited to play SR for the first time. 

Thurs pm - BD

Fri am - SR

Sat am - PD

Sat pm - Trails

Sun am - OM

Seems like most of the recent reports note that the greens (save SR) are in great shape. Can't wait to get out there. Now, to figure out my erratic swing . . . 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kernel said:

I'm three weeks out from my fourth Bandon trip. Very excited to play SR for the first time. 

Thurs pm - BD

Fri am - SR

Sat am - PD

Sat pm - Trails

Sun am - OM

Seems like most of the recent reports note that the greens (save SR) are in great shape. Can't wait to get out there. Now, to figure out my erratic swing . . . 

Similar, three weeks out from my fifth trip.  I'm in that thinking about it constantly period.......I packed, unpacked, repacked, mapped the courses and strategy, contemplated my dinners each night and made my wife sick of the music for the course preview videos.  I need help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BD14 said:

Over the last week, I’ve read every post on this thread.  Awesome stuff. 

Making my first trip this Sunday. Going Sunday to Sunday. 

Hopefully that means a full week and not a clever way of saying only 1 day 🙂

Every trip to Bandon is great, but getting to see all the courses the first time is pretty neat. You'll have a blast!

• Haha 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

8 hours ago, jrg75 said:

There is plenty of parking at Sheep Ranch.

There is also a full range, as well as two practice greens.  It's almost a self-contained resort on its own.

Actually, each course has a parking area, so if you have a car, you essentially have a traveling locker room.  The shuttle service is excellent, but nothing beats having all your gear with you for each round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saltydawg15 said:

Thanks for the insight, I prefer not having to wait on the shuttle so will have a car.

if wanted I assume the resort will move your clubs to the different courses for you?

we’re staying in Lilly pond, which seems fairly central to the main lodge and a few of the courses, is this correct? 

It's a simple 5 minute walk over. If it's raining take a brolly, otherwise it's pleasant.

Yes if you are ending your day on Course Y and starting the next day on Course Z, you can ask the attendants to take of getting it over there for you.

F.T.

2 hours ago, Saltydawg15 said:

Thanks for the insight, I prefer not having to wait on the shuttle so will have a car.

if wanted I assume the resort will move your clubs to the different courses for you?

we’re staying in Lilly pond, which seems fairly central to the main lodge and a few of the courses, is this correct? 

FWIW, the impression we got when we were there (from Shoe) is that they preferred people transport their own clubs, but I suspect that they will, if you ask, because they'll pretty much do anything you ask.  We had our own car, and wanted to drive from course to course, so it wasn't an issue whatsoever. 

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

3 hours ago, Saltydawg15 said:

They will but honestly, I think you're way overthinking the difficulty of the place.  It is so easy to get from one course to another, maybe 5 min drive or shuttle ride with Sheep Ranch being a little longer.  The main practice center is in the middle of the resort.  Each course has parking and you mostly see people transporting their own gear.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Saltydawg15 said:

Thanks for the intel and agree I generally over think my first time visiting a new location.

Don't sweat it, I was exact same way my first few trips and even now obsess over things like my packing list before I go.  You will have a great time, the place is so special and they have the guest experience down to a science.  

1 hour ago, Saltydawg15 said:

Thanks for the intel and agree I generally over think my first time visiting a new location.

Yes, though you can get your club transported there not allot of reason to do this. It super easy to get around and the shuttle are set up to carry clubs etc.

Bringing them back to the room with you gives better control of drying out your gear if needed and organising your bag. I have to say, though I trust Bandon, it is nice to have your most precious tools with you all the time on a golf trip. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Yes, though you can get your club transported there not allot of reason to do this. It super easy to get around and the shuttle are set up to carry clubs etc.

Bringing them back to the room with you gives better control of drying out your gear if needed and organising your bag. I have to say, though I trust Bandon, it is nice to have your most precious tools with you all the time on a golf trip. 

Agree that taking your bag back to your room each night is the way to go. Stuff gets wet and needs drying, things get rearranged, you might want to change a club or two, whatever. 

They have an excellent drying room for anything that gets super wet and will deliver to your room when dry. It's all so organised.

And the shuttle service (aka The Prison Bus) is brilliant.

Cant wait to get back.

33 minutes ago, ehendy said:

How much room is there in the lockers at each course? Shoes and socks only or is there room for a clean and dry shirt and/or pant? 

If you are staying in the lodge and playing Bandon, you have your room, otherwise each of the courses has toilets.

If you are thinking of changing between rounds - people who drive can keep stuff in their car and use the toilets I guess, otherwise you need to go back to your room.

F.T.

1 hour ago, ehendy said:

Thanks. We’ve got a very short time slot between rounds on day 1, so I didn’t think I’d have time to go to room to change. I heard they have lockers but I think they’re mostly for extra junk from bags that caddies don’t want to lug around. 

There's a locker room with room for a change of clothes in the basement of the lodge, but that's about it.   What courses, where are you staying, and what's the turn around time?  Depending on those you might be fine anyway.  If not just bring a change of socks in a zip loc baggie in your golf bag. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ehendy said:

Thanks. We’ve got a very short time slot between rounds on day 1, so I didn’t think I’d have time to go to room to change. I heard they have lockers but I think they’re mostly for extra junk from bags that caddies don’t want to lug around. 

Interesting. Typically you have to book rounds in 5hr intervals (with SR even larger). That said, unless your sponsors are requiring you keep to your scripted outfits each round 😉 barring a storm soaking you, you'll be fine I'd imagine.

Regardless, enjoy your first trip!

Edited by duffer987
  • Haha 1

F.T.

50 minutes ago, duffer987 said:

Interesting. Typically you have to book rounds in 5hr intervals (with SR even larger). That said, unless your sponsors are requiring you keep to your scripted outfits each round 😉 barring a storm soaking you, you'll be fine I'd imagine.

Regardless, enjoy your first trip!

I wear clothes for the day on 36 hole days with tight turn arounds times and carry them all day. I always bring a change of socks. If I have a it more time I do go back to the room and change out a few more things.

If it is raining so hard you need a complete change of clothes, you are no longer going to have a tight turn around for your next rounds as the tee sheet opens up. 

Bandon runs a slick operation and knows who has to get to what course for 36 holes days. I have even had a shuttle waiting just for our group when the course is playing slow in the morning rounds and had the marshal on the course let us know it was waiting for us before our round ended so we knew to go straight to it. 

I have had Marshalls/pro staff tell us that the our next course had cancellations so we did not need to rush over. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

I wear clothes for the day on 36 hole days with tight turn arounds times and carry them all day. I always bring a change of socks. If I have a it more time I do go back to the room and change out a few more things.

If it is raining so hard you need a complete change of clothes, you are no longer going to have a tight turn around for your next rounds as the tee sheet opens up. 

Bandon runs a slick operation and knows who has to get to what course for 36 holes days. I have even had a shuttle waiting just for our group when the course is playing slow in the morning rounds and had the marshal on the course let us know it was waiting for us before our round ended so we knew to go straight to it. 

I have had Marshalls/pro staff tell us that the our next course had cancellations so we did not need to rush over. 

When you call reservations and make your initial tee times do they let you book replays inside the 5hr window?

Change, not change, I was just surprised about tight turn around times before even teeing off. As you say all sorts of things come up once you're on the ground.

F.T.