Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

45 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Well there's usually a layover for me through Southwest to Portland regardless, so it works out better for me and others in that situation 😉

Anything that makes it easier for people to get there is good, glad it works out for you. I might actually use it going home from Eugene after getting there via Portland.

• Like 1

Just to pile on the airline best practices. I just flew in April from Dallas Fort/Worth (DFW), and American now has a non-stop directly into Eugene, no layover at all.  I left DFW at 1:30 p.m. and landed around 3:30 with the time change.  After the drive down and a quick stop for some adult beverages, I was still able to get an hour of practice in before the sun went down.  They have a similar flight back that is nonstop, but with the time change it results in about a 6-hour duration.  I hope that American keeps these, total game changer for me getting to Bandon.

• Like 1

So I wanted to drop this in here given shoe talk in other threads. But my sleeper shoe for our trip was the Adidas Climaproof boa/boot. I had bought them on a Cyber Monday sale for $80 or so. Not only will the keep your feet completely dry but they are damn comfortable to walk in.

I tried a couple other pairs of "bandon boots" - I think one was Nike and one was Footjoy. They were a massive PITA to take on and off, it was basically a shoe with a tall waterproof liner attached. These boots were excellent, super easy to get on and off and again, completely waterproof. I wear them all the time now at home when it rains.

If you can catch them on sale, they are a great waterproof option.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

+1 on the Adidas Climaproof BOA boot.

I also tried the Nike, and the BOA thingy was positioned right on top of my foot (opposite the arch) and they were kinda painful.  The Adidas boots have the BOA up higher, and are much more comfortable for my feet.  And they are bullet-proof, weather-wise.  My go-to monsoon footwear...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

1 hour ago, spud3 said:

+1 on the Adidas Climaproof BOA boot.

I also tried the Nike, and the BOA thingy was positioned right on top of my foot (opposite the arch) and they were kinda painful.  The Adidas boots have the BOA up higher, and are much more comfortable for my feet.  And they are bullet-proof, weather-wise.  My go-to monsoon footwear...

Agreed, the Nike one was awful.

Its a hard no from me on Trues. Ground was way too hard - at least for the OGs. I lasted one round in them.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Big fan of True Linkswear. Took a bit to get used to the OGs but now I wear them pretty much every round. Wore them during my whole Bandon trip this year.

I have worn the Nike Lunar Storm boots previously and still wear them when conditions require. I found them very comfortable. But agree they can be difficult to get on/off. I'll have to check out the Adidas Climaproof boots when I need to get new golf boots.

Changing socks between rounds on 36+ hole days is a must regardless of what shoes you are wearing!

I always golf in Ecco Biom shoes, no matter where I play or the conditions.  I've found them to be especially good at Bandon and in the rain.  No issues with blisters either.  Just played a round here in Massachusetts in a driving rainstorm, wore my oldest s*&!kicker Eccos and when I finished I was completely soaked except for my feet which were bone dry (definitely need to invest in good rain gear but that's another story).  The Ecco Bioms are spikeless so you do give up some of the traction you'd get from spikes, never been a problem for me but I know it is for others.

FWIW, I ordered a pair of True Linkswear once, tried them on and wasn't feeling them, just returned them without playing in them.  Everybody's feet and preferences are different.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 6:50 AM, Slippin_Jimmy said:

I always golf in Ecco Biom shoes, no matter where I play or the conditions.  I've found them to be especially good at Bandon and in the rain.  No issues with blisters either.  Just played a round here in Massachusetts in a driving rainstorm, wore my oldest s*&!kicker Eccos and when I finished I was completely soaked except for my feet which were bone dry (definitely need to invest in good rain gear but that's another story).  The Ecco Bioms are spikeless so you do give up some of the traction you'd get from spikes, never been a problem for me but I know it is for others.

FWIW, I ordered a pair of True Linkswear once, tried them on and wasn't feeling them, just returned them without playing in them.  Everybody's feet and preferences are different.

+1 on the Eccos. Since my other shoes are Footjoy Contour Casuals - the Eccos have more traction than I am normally used to 😄

In March I was swapping between the two when playing 36 hole days and definitely the Eccos are as much traction as I'd ever need.

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

3 minutes ago, Edaw68 said:

https://golf.com/travel/2021-top-100-public-courses-elite-golf-everywhere/

Some of you may notice the misidentified hole in the picture in this article. Not #8 at Trails as stated...who recognizes it?

Reveal hidden contents

#15 from behind the green

I don't think they are saying the hole is #8 at Bandon Trails.  When you look at the entire list, Bandon Trails is #8 on the Top 100 You Can Play list...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edaw68 said:

Some of you may notice the misidentified hole in the picture in this article. Not #8 at Trails as stated...who recognizes it?

Hide contents

Pretty sure that's 10, right? Birdied that one last time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Edaw68 said:

15, the cross bunker in the fairway gives it away. 10s bunkers are much larger. Also good birdie on 10, that’s a tough hole.

The actual c o c k up is when you click the link to see the list. They have #18/#1 at Pac for the listing for Trails.

What a pack of muppets.

• Like 2

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

2 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not to get too off topic, but that list is trash. 

• Like 2

First trip end of June.  Flying into Portland fairly early and plan to play a course on way down.   We booked about 3 months ago so was happy they could fit us in to the dates we had open.  Taking a caddie as many have noted is a must, plus I want the full experience. 

Day 1:  TBD round on way to Bandon / Punch Bowl (mainly to get used to green speeds)

Day2: Sheep Ranch / Bandon Trails

Day3: Bandon Dunes / Preserve

Day 4: Pacific Dunes / Old Mac

Day 5:  Open for morning round if we want / Drive back Portland

I saw the talk on shoes on the prior pages and glad to see all the positives on Ecco's.  I pretty much only use Ecco's.  The new S-Three Golf Shoes (spikeless) are the most comfortable I have worn todate!!!  If you like Ecco I would highly recommend them.   *Also as to water proof aspects, I have never once had an issue with feet getting wet in them.

• Like 3

Looks like a great trip, CDM!  I will be there June 21-24, perhaps we will cross paths. Can't wait to get back there.  Agreed on the Eccos.

Langdon Farms and Florence Golf Links are good options on the way down from Portland.  Also Fiddler's Green golf shop outside Eugene is another great stop on the way. 

Good stuff CDM!

Punchbowl is grand for a laugh and a drink, but it'll do more harm than good for figuring out the greens. They are set up for fun with silly breaks and crazy slopes. Bandon for Bandon and the green at the practice center for the other courses is pretty good catchall if you've not been before. And don't forget Shortys if you want to stretch your legs while hitting golf shots, otherwise straight onto the Preserve when you arrive would work and let you play one of the proper courses once you're getting settled into the trip.

All that said, the old adage of - you're going to have a blast regardless - is very true. With only a couple months to go you'll be there in no time 🙂

F.T.

9 hours ago, Slippin_Jimmy said:

Looks like a great trip, CDM!  I will be there June 21-24, perhaps we will cross paths. Can't wait to get back there.  Agreed on the Eccos.

Langdon Farms and Florence Golf Links are good options on the way down from Portland.  Also Fiddler's Green golf shop outside Eugene is another great stop on the way. 

+1 on Langdon and FGL for rounds on the way down.  Big +1 for Fiddlers Green.  It's the place to go if you need golf gear.

We'll be there June 21-23 as well (for the Solstice event on June 22)

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

7 hours ago, spud3 said:

+1 on Langdon and FGL for rounds on the way down.  Big +1 for Fiddlers Green.  It's the place to go if you need golf gear.

We'll be there June 21-23 as well (for the Solstice event on June 22)

Eugene CC as we "might" have access but looks like they are doing renovations during that time, so 3-5 holes may not be available.   

I have played Langdon before and thought it was an excellent track (Liked it more then Pumpkin Ridge for sure)

FGL looks fantastic.  Have to look at that further.

Will have to do shorty's for sure, honestly forgot about shorty's and will do that the day we arrive and can do punchbowl one of the other nights. 

We will be there June 26th -30th.   If any overlaps with others, hit me up, always down for a cold one and talking golf. 

Anyone been out there in June?  Wondering if I am better off with pants vs. shorts.  It appears the temps never get super hot in June and with the wind pants might be the best option

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

37 minutes ago, BG5 said:

Anyone been out there in June?  Wondering if I am better off with pants vs. shorts.  It appears the temps never get super hot in June and with the wind pants might be the best option

Been in June and wore light weight pants the entire time.....same for a trip in August.  Temps are pretty cool in the morning which drove me to wear pants, also helps with the wind.   I definitely could have gotten by with shorts later in the day but I was never uncomfortable in pants.

18 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

Been in June and wore light weight pants the entire time.....same for a trip in August.  Temps are pretty cool in the morning which drove me to wear pants, also helps with the wind.   I definitely could have gotten by with shorts later in the day but I was never uncomfortable in pants.

I agree. I always just wear pants at Bandon. It never gets super hot there anyway. Plus I don't hit fairways 😂  so I prefer to keep the tall stuff off my legs - a lot of times it is damp, hate that feeling. 

• Haha 1

Anyone going to be at Bandon the next couple weeks want to pick me up one of these water bottles and mail it to me? 😂  I'm hoping they still have them in November - great deal, $20 for a yeti. Wish they were online.

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/blog/bandon-dunes-and-freshwater-trust-team-yeti-reduce-single-use-plastic

Edited by mci711
  • Like 1