Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

2 hours ago, BG5 said:

Can anyone speak about using your putter around the greens.  My chipping is pretty suspect and I have started using my putter on most shots inside of 50 yards on courses that are firm and can handle that type of game.  Will this be an option on the bandon courses and is it wise or should I really start to work on my chips prior to the trip.  The thing I love about putting is I can usually at least get it on the green with a putter and I avoided skulling one across the green.  Any advice on using a putter would be greatly appreciated

You've come to the right place! Putt everywhere lol

2 hours ago, BG5 said:

Can anyone speak about using your putter around the greens.  My chipping is pretty suspect and I have started using my putter on most shots inside of 50 yards on courses that are firm and can handle that type of game.  Will this be an option on the bandon courses and is it wise or should I really start to work on my chips prior to the trip.  The thing I love about putting is I can usually at least get it on the green with a putter and I avoided skulling one across the green.  Any advice on using a putter would be greatly appreciated

You will get all the putting-from-off-the-green you can handle. There are very few holes on the championship courses where that isnt an option.

Srixon ZX5 9.5* - GD ADDI 6S
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* - UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")

Srixon ZXU 3i - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 50*/54* mid, 58* low -0.5" - 2* flat 
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball  33.5" - 1* loft - 71* lie

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - 34" 4* loft - 71* lie
WITB Link

15 hours ago, BG5 said:

Asking if you can putt off the greens at Bandon is like asking if they have rides at Disney Land. 😁

On 5/20/2021 at 7:43 AM, BG5 said:

If your chipping is suspect, Bandon will exploit it, especially if you're a midwesterner. I'm used to softer conditions and grass that ever so slightly elevates the ball on fairways, and is easy to get under with either a clean pick or a descending blow and divot. At Bandon the turf is very firm and the grass short, so you get very tight lies. The overall advice of the caddies is to leave the lob wedge in the bag, and for all but a few people it's spot on. Think of it as like chipping off a pool table, a pool table that likes to dig if you're ever so slightly off. The chances of skulling are high, the chances of flubbing it are high, the chances of pulling it off properly quite low. Putter or mid/short iron running chip is your friend.

It's not just the tight lies that make chipping tough.   It's what's underneath the tight lie coupled with why you're chipping/pitching in the first place (vs putting).  If you have a clear (enough) line to the pin or a good leave, putter is the way to go.  If you have to carry a bunker (usually they're steep and deep), you have to mentally contend with that as well as what's beyond the pin if you don't judge it correctly.  Then you have to deal with whether your tight lie has firm or soft sand beneath.  Soft? Catch it a hair fat and that sand will eat you up and drop you in the bunker.  Catch it thin, and you're over the pin and off the back.  Firm sand?  Fat it and you're off the back.  Same with a thin.

That's the long way of saying, unless you're a precision chipper/pitcher, putt the damn thing, even if you have to go around the long way and take your 1 extra stroke. 

P.S. Ignore my rantings, too many years of being Bandon'd have left me damaged.

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Vnutz & Buzlin are spot on.  When I was a higher handicapper I had a tendency to "scoop" it with my chips and iron shots.  This isn't good anywhere but it's fatal at Bandon.  On my first trip I could barely get an iron in the air and it was skull city with the wedges.  You can get away with a lot if you have a fluffy lie, and they are few and far between at Bandon.  There's no margin for error with the wedges, if you are low handicap player and you can hit them clean every time, by all means go for it.  But for most of us rolling the putter and hybrid from off the green will keep the skulls (and big numbers) away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buzlin said:

It's not just the tight lies that make chipping tough.   It's what's underneath the tight lie coupled with why you're chipping/pitching in the first place (vs putting).  If you have a clear (enough) line to the pin or a good leave, putter is the way to go.  If you have to carry a bunker (usually they're steep and deep), you have to mentally contend with that as well as what's beyond the pin if you don't judge it correctly.  Then you have to deal with whether your tight lie has firm or soft sand beneath.  Soft? Catch it a hair fat and that sand will eat you up and drop you in the bunker.  Catch it thin, and you're over the pin and off the back.  Firm sand?  Fat it and you're off the back.  Same with a thin.

That's the long way of saying, unless you're a precision chipper/pitcher, putt the damn thing, even if you have to go around the long way and take your 1 extra stroke. 

P.S. Ignore my rantings, too many years of being Bandon'd have left me damaged.

HA. You're gonna give the poor guy a complex. Just reading your descriptions gave me chills and I broke out in a cold sweat.

OP, he's right, I rarely used my wedges. I relied heavily on lots of bumps with the pw or higher. 

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 9.5* - GD ADDI 6S
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* - UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")

Srixon ZXU 3i - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 50*/54* mid, 58* low -0.5" - 2* flat 
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball  33.5" - 1* loft - 71* lie

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - 34" 4* loft - 71* lie
WITB Link

Posted (edited)

Just a heads up if you're heading out there soon call and confirm caddies.  They are dealing with a major shortage right now.  We got a text message the night before our tee time saying they didn't have any for us the next day.  They ended up working it out but the caddies we had told us they had a record number of unfilled requests last week.  They said they've had this problem for a few months but only told us the night before. Other than that the trip was amazing.  We all can't wait to go back.  It's everything you could dream of and more.

Edited by Drwoods2017

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Drwoods2017 said:

Just a heads up if you're heading out there soon call and confirm caddies.  They are dealing with a major shortage right now.  We got a text message the night before our tee time saying they didn't have any for us the next day.  They ended up working it out but the caddies we had told us they had a record number of unfilled requests last week.  They said they've had this problem for a few months but only told us the night before. Other than that the trip was amazing.  We all can't wait to go back.  It's everything you could dream of and more.

Appreciate the info.  Will be there in 4 weeks.  I requested a caddie all 5 rounds and friend wanted the morning 3 rounds.  Dbl bag the 3 morning rounds

Hopefully the 2 afternoon rounds are not when I "loose" a caddie as we set the two harder courses to walk in the afternoon ... LOL

Edited by CDM

4 hours ago, CDM said:

Appreciate the info.  Will be there in 4 weeks.  I requested a caddie all 5 rounds and friend wanted the morning 3 rounds.  Dbl bag the 3 morning rounds

Hopefully the 2 afternoon rounds are not when I "loose" a caddie as we set the two harder courses to walk in the afternoon ... LOL

Yeah we weren’t gonna have caddies for pacific dunes and trials which were the hardest walk imo 

I called the resort today about something else but I asked the receptionist about dinner reservations and she says they strongly recommended them. From what I have taken from this post that most prefer the ease and convenience of McKee's Pub so I was not going to bother with reservations for our group of 3, but now I'm worried that is a bad choice. I like the idea of not having an agenda other than golf and juts eating whenever we want, but during this time should I play it safe and make dinner reservations to be safe?

A group of 3 in non covid times would often be hit or miss for dinner at McKee's during the normal dinner times.  Not sure what the current status is for tables given the rapidly changing covid protocols, but reservations are a good idea, unless you know for sure you'll be looking for a table at weird times.

• Like 1

I will be be arriving 3 days prior to my buddies so I will have 3 nights at the resort as a single.  What is my best option for dinner as a single....I am not picky....I just want to grab something to eat at a bar.....what would you guys suggest?  Do I need to make reservations as a single?

Ping K15 Driver - 10.5*
Ping K15 3 Wood 16* & 5 Wood 19*
Ping Karsten Hybrids 19* 22* 25*
Ping Karsten Irons 6-PW
Ping Karsten Wedges 51* 55*
Ping Scottsdale Greyhawk TR Putter
WITB Link

1 hour ago, Bamabowtie said:

I called the resort today about something else but I asked the receptionist about dinner reservations and she says they strongly recommended them. From what I have taken from this post that most prefer the ease and convenience of McKee's Pub so I was not going to bother with reservations for our group of 3, but now I'm worried that is a bad choice. I like the idea of not having an agenda other than golf and juts eating whenever we want, but during this time should I play it safe and make dinner reservations to be safe?

Pre-Covid reservations were a must for foursomes (not sure why 3 would be different). You can always change them if you want, but nice to have them. 

45 minutes ago, BG5 said:

I will be be arriving 3 days prior to my buddies so I will have 3 nights at the resort as a single.  What is my best option for dinner as a single....I am not picky....I just want to grab something to eat at a bar.....what would you guys suggest?  Do I need to make reservations as a single?

As a single you should have no issue most places. Pacific grill is the only place I can think of that did not have ????bar seating???? Maybe it does and I just don't remember it. 

9 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Think I know the answer but will try anyways...

If you're visiting Bandon again (not a first timer) and have the opportunity to play Crossings or a course on property (let's say your "least favorite" of the 5), which do you choose?

I wouldn't choose crossings once if I had 100 rounds. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Think I know the answer but will try anyways...

If you're visiting Bandon again (not a first timer) and have the opportunity to play Crossings or a course on property (let's say your "least favorite" of the 5), which do you choose?

On property for sure. 

Bandon crossing is nice, but I would play the preserve first. ( I love the preserve!)

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

One good reason to play Crossings is if you need a "light" day between 36-hole days, as you can take a cart there and give your legs a break.

It's not a bad course, but nowhere near the level of the courses on property, even your least favorite.

• Like 3

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys - trip in December to BD with a group. Thinking of coming in a day early and playing Crossings or on property, then a long trek up to Chambers Bay before heading home.

Not the best time of year but want to make the most if it and hope to get lucky with the weather. It'll be a blast regardless and I certainly won't be complaining.

Edited by Lefty_89

9 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

A group of 3 in non covid times would often be hit or miss for dinner at McKee's during the normal dinner times.  Not sure what the current status is for tables given the rapidly changing covid protocols, but reservations are a good idea, unless you know for sure you'll be looking for a table at weird times.

Thank you for the reply. I will proceed with reservations. Do you guys typically make your dinner reservations for after the sun has set? I’d hate to mess up a perfect afternoon of golf just because we had dinner plans. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

Thanks guys - trip in December to BD with a group. Thinking of coming in a day early and playing Crossings or on property, then a long trek up to Chambers Bay before heading home.

Not the best time of year but want to make the most if it and hope to get lucky with the weather. It'll be a blast regardless and I certainly won't be complaining.

That is a long way to drive to play Chambers  (7hrs). Then when you get there it could be under snow/frost etc that time of year. Seattle's average temp in December is lows in the mid 30's and highs in the mid 40's. Bandon is 10* warmer that time of year. Seems crazy to me - as for the time invested you could play two more rounds at Bandon and really enjoy the property. Having said that, it is either an easy drive if you take the 5, or very scenic drive on the coast and Chambers is a very good course. I assume you plan to fly out of Seattle?

There is thread on here about another guy thinking of getting Chambers in as part of Bandon trip - if you look around it has some good advice.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bamabowtie said:

Thank you for the reply. I will proceed with reservations. Do you guys typically make your dinner reservations for after the sun has set? I’d hate to mess up a perfect afternoon of golf just because we had dinner plans. 

Yes, with the caveat we have been going in March and sunset is 730ish. Usually anytime after 8 is past the dinner rush and it’s easier to get tables then. Try taking your last scheduled tee time of the day, and dinner reservations about 6 hours after that, assuming you’re planning multiple rounds per day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

I agree with 2bgood, Chambers is iffy in December and not worth scheduling unless you’re already planning on going back through seatac. Better as part of a separate trip. In December spend the extra time for rounds at Bandon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

As a single whatever you want, fairly easy to find room at McKee's at the bar.  I'd look at all the menus online on the Bandon website and use your time alone to make sure and try different things just incase your buddies don't want to do the same places you do.

With COVID restrictions, restaurants statewide have closed off all bar seating entirely so I would not show up without a reservation expecting to just find a spot at the bar. 

9 hours ago, 2bGood said:

That is a long way to drive to play Chambers  (7hrs). Then when you get there it could be under snow/frost etc that time of year. Seattle's average temp in December is lows in the mid 30's and highs in the mid 40's. Bandon is 10* warmer that time of year. Seems crazy to me - as for the time invested you could play two more rounds at Bandon and really enjoy the property. Having said that, it is either an easy drive if you take the 5, or very scenic drive on the coast and Chambers is a very good course. I assume you plan to fly out of Seattle?

There is thread on here about another guy thinking of getting Chambers in as part of Bandon trip - if you look around it has some good advice.

8 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

I agree with 2bgood, Chambers is iffy in December and not worth scheduling unless you’re already planning on going back through seatac. Better as part of a separate trip. In December spend the extra time for rounds at Bandon.

Great feedback here guys - truly appreciated 👍

That was the initial thought...fly into Eugene, stay on property for 4 nights (group has each course booked once), then travel up North for possibly Gearhart then Chambers and fly out of Seattle. Chambers has been on my list and it made sense to try and tack it on to the trip, but with y'alls feedback I am hesitant to risk it with the winter weather.

Maybe it would be better to add another night or two at Bandon, a couple more rounds, then fly back out of Eugene. Save Chambers for another trip.