Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

Great feedback here guys - truly appreciated 👍

That was the initial thought...fly into Eugene, stay on property for 4 nights (group has each course booked once), then travel up North for possibly Gearhart then Chambers and fly out of Seattle. Chambers has been on my list and it made sense to try and tack it on to the trip, but with y'alls feedback I am hesitant to risk it with the winter weather.

Maybe it would be better to add another night or two at Bandon, a couple more rounds, then fly back out of Eugene. Save Chambers for another trip.

While the risk is only moderate that the course is closed down, December, is far from a great time to go play Chambers. Having played Chambers several times and been to Bandon several times, I personally would not hesitate to play the Bandon courses more than once and extend my time on the property.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

Looking at the temps in Bandon In June it says a high of 62 almost through the end of the month.  Is that normal?  I will be heading out there in about 3 weeks so I am guessing that most days will be pants and zip  up.  I dont think I will be cold but the temps seem to be alot cooler than I expected

Ping K15 Driver - 10.5*
Ping K15 3 Wood 16* & 5 Wood 19*
Ping Karsten Hybrids 19* 22* 25*
Ping Karsten Irons 6-PW
Ping Karsten Wedges 51* 55*
Ping Scottsdale Greyhawk TR Putter
WITB Link

7 minutes ago, BG5 said:

Looking at the temps in Bandon In June it says a high of 62 almost through the end of the month.  Is that normal?  I will be heading out there in about 3 weeks so I am guessing that most days will be pants and zip  up.  I dont think I will be cold but the temps seem to be alot cooler than I expected

The average HIGH temperature is just that - average. Those weather people do a great job of tracking historical numbers.

Plan for 40-70ish that time of year (maybe in even in the same day). Keep in mind at no time during the year do average high temps get into the 70's at Bandon.

Mind you have been there in February where we hit high 70's - so anything can happen. 

1 hour ago, BG5 said:

Looking at the temps in Bandon In June it says a high of 62 almost through the end of the month.  Is that normal?  I will be heading out there in about 3 weeks so I am guessing that most days will be pants and zip  up.  I dont think I will be cold but the temps seem to be alot cooler than I expected.

I took a trip in June a few years ago and this is pretty much consistent with what I remember, was actually pretty chilly in the mornings but short sleeves by afternoon.

As @2bGood  stated, you can catch pretty much anything there.  I was there in April this year (week after the masters) and had my best weather trip ever, nothing but sunshine and nearly 70 degree temps.  But, I've also went in August expecting shorts weather and had low 60s and drizzle. 

Been said many times, pack for the worst and hope for the best.

10 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

Great feedback here guys - truly appreciated 👍

That was the initial thought...fly into Eugene, stay on property for 4 nights (group has each course booked once), then travel up North for possibly Gearhart then Chambers and fly out of Seattle. Chambers has been on my list and it made sense to try and tack it on to the trip, but with y'alls feedback I am hesitant to risk it with the winter weather.

Maybe it would be better to add another night or two at Bandon, a couple more rounds, then fly back out of Eugene. Save Chambers for another trip.

As a Seattle area native, I agree with everyone else. Chambers is cool. It's a fun track that hosted a US Open! That being said, if you are already at Bandon, I would stay at Bandon. It might be my bias since I've played Chambers and it has lost a little sheen for me. If it's a bucket list course, and you don't think you'll have another chance, it might be worth it. But it's a long drive to Chambers from Bandon, and that's a day that could be spent golfing. I don't think they shut down the course very often at Chambers, but December isn't ideal. You might be in for a real Seattle weather treat that time of year. Dark, cold, rainy, windy... yay!

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 9.5* - GD ADDI 6S
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* - UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")

Srixon ZXU 3i - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 50*/54* mid, 58* low -0.5" - 2* flat 
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball  33.5" - 1* loft - 71* lie

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - 34" 4* loft - 71* lie
WITB Link

@Lefty_89, I saw one of you previous posts that you had April 2022 planned, much better time to go if you still have that booked.

I've played Chambers several times and it's awesome, a must play IMO, holes 14-17 are incredible and rival some of Bandon's best.

I've included it in a west coast swing but I'd never drive it, getting through Joint Base Louis-McChord and Portland are a pain (I have a brother in Seattle and have made that drive, never again).  My best advice is fly to Seattle in the AM, play that afternoon (the time difference helps people coming from the East), then stay at one of the airport hotels.  Alaska has some early flights to Eugene which you can hop the next morning.  I've done this and made an afternoon tee time at the resort with plenty of time for check in and dinner.  It does add a small amount of cost, basically 1 small leg from SEA to EUG but I think it only cost me like $79.  Well worth it to avoid that drive.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

We are planning a trip to Bandon next April and the idea is to arrive at Vancouver/Canada and drive to Chambers Bay day of arrival, play there and stay one night somewhere near Tecoma before going on to Bandon next day. Is that feasible? We thought play Salish Cliffs on the way back.

Yes if you are road warrior you can make it work. I live in Vancouver most of the year and we drive to Chambers for a day trip from time to time and drive down to Bandon for a longer trip all the time. You are looking at about 3.5hrs to Chambers with the border form YVR and another 6ish hours to Bandon.  April the weather is unpredictable but good chance it is not cold and may or may not be raining at Chambers. Bandon could be decent (or not - it is what it is there) but you should hit highs around 60*. 

Edited by 2bGood

13 hours ago, blink3665 said:

As a Seattle area native, I agree with everyone else. Chambers is cool. It's a fun track that hosted a US Open! That being said, if you are already at Bandon, I would stay at Bandon. It might be my bias since I've played Chambers and it has lost a little sheen for me. If it's a bucket list course, and you don't think you'll have another chance, it might be worth it. But it's a long drive to Chambers from Bandon, and that's a day that could be spent golfing. I don't think they shut down the course very often at Chambers, but December isn't ideal. You might be in for a real Seattle weather treat that time of year. Dark, cold, rainy, windy... yay!

Great advice - I think I was trying to be too ambitious and add as many courses to the trip, without really digging into winter weather lol. Better to save Chambers and Gamble Sands for the spring/summer from the sound of it.

11 hours ago, jrg75 said:

@Lefty_89, I saw one of you previous posts that you had April 2022 planned, much better time to go if you still have that booked.

I've played Chambers several times and it's awesome, a must play IMO, holes 14-17 are incredible and rival some of Bandon's best.

I've included it in a west coast swing but I'd never drive it, getting through Joint Base Louis-McChord and Portland are a pain (I have a brother in Seattle and have made that drive, never again).  My best advice is fly to Seattle in the AM, play that afternoon (the time difference helps people coming from the East), then stay at one of the airport hotels.  Alaska has some early flights to Eugene which you can hop the next morning.  I've done this and made an afternoon tee time at the resort with plenty of time for check in and dinner.  It does add a small amount of cost, basically 1 small leg from SEA to EUG but I think it only cost me like $79.  Well worth it to avoid that drive.

I still have my reservation in April, but was invited on a group trip in December and was trying to add as many other courses that I've had my eye on in PNW, which doesn't seem practical now lol.

Ended up going with WRX consensus and added two more nights at Bandon, so I'll be there for 7 nights total before driving back up to Eugene and headed home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

Great advice - I think I was trying to be too ambitious and add as many courses to the trip, without really digging into winter weather lol. Better to save Chambers and Gamble Sands for the spring/summer from the sound of it.

I still have my reservation in April, but was invited on a group trip in December and was trying to add as many other courses that I've had my eye on in PNW, which doesn't seem practical now lol.

Ended up going with WRX consensus and added two more nights at Bandon, so I'll be there for 7 nights total before driving back up to Eugene and headed home.

I am pretty sure Gamble is only open from April-October. It is worth playing, but no question that it not a good winter destination. 

• Like 1

Interesting, but obvious, dynamic going from playing 36+ easy during later spring/summer/early fall, compared to the winter. Last guaranteed to finish in December is 11:50am.

Anyone have experience snagging an early tee time in the morning, during the winter, and chasing daylight afterwards?

Figure I'll need to get familiarized with all the short loops that spud created in a separate thread 👍.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Interesting, but obvious, dynamic going from playing 36+ easy during later spring/summer/early fall, compared to the winter. Last guaranteed to finish in December is 11:50am.

Anyone have experience snagging an early tee time in the morning, during the winter, and chasing daylight afterwards?

Figure I'll need to get familiarized with all the short loops that spud created in a separate thread 👍.

'Guaranteed' might not even be so, if there is a frost delay. Just get as early a first time as you can and try and get back out as early as you can.

We typically snag one of the first 4 (7:30-8:00) and then feel good about getting in 36 - barring frost delays. Even with a <8:30 time we like our chances to get in a lot of that second round. These are end of Nov times. Use sunrisesunset.com or some other site that shows you the times and it'll give you a better idea.

That said, all you need is a largely clear course in front of you. On volatile weather days where a storm has chased everyone off, we've gone back out after it cleared and could zip around a full 18 as a two-ball, teeing off as late as 2pm. Replay rates are cheap so really IMHO anything 9+ holes is worth it in decent or better conditions.

Edited by duffer987
  • Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, duffer987 said:

'Guaranteed' might not even be so, if there is a frost delay. Just get as early a first time as you can and try and get back out as early as you can.

We typically snag one of the first 4 (7:30-8:00) and then feel good about getting in 36 - barring frost delays. Even with a <8:30 time we like our chances to get in a lot of that second round. These are end of Nov times. Use sunrisesunset.com or some other site that shows you the times and it'll give you a better idea.

That said, all you need is a largely clear course in front of you. On volatile weather days where a storm has chased everyone off, we've gone back out after it cleared and could zip around a full 18 as a two-ball, teeing off as late as 2pm. Replay rates are cheap so really IMHO anything 9+ holes is worth it in decent or better conditions.

$50 replay is certainly worth the gamble, even if I'm only able to sneak in < 12 holes. Thanks for the feedback duffer.

Sunset late December is around 4:40pm, so getting done with the first round at 12:30pm (+/- 30 mins), would open the door definitely for another round or small loop afterwards...depending on what's in front of me.

Still 6.5 months away but as y'all know, it's never too early to look forward to a Bandon trip 😉

Edited by Lefty_89
  • Like 1

+1 on duffer's comments.

December and January only have about 9 hours of daylight, so even if you get one of the first tee times, all it takes is an hour's worth of frost delay or one slow group in the afternoon to eliminate the possibility of a full second round.

I tend to approach those months with the mindset that I'm going to just play golf as long as there is daylight, and if that means I get 36 in, great.

• Like 3

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

On 6/2/2021 at 9:17 AM, BG5 said:

Was just there last week and the temps ranged from highs 62-65.  Morning rounds winds are down, but still low-mid 50's.  Pants and thicker qtr zip for our group.  Afternoon temps rose, but so does the wind.  It was still pants for me and swapped for a lighter top.  I took it off for a few holes in the afternoon, but was comfortable keeping it on the majority of the time. 

Tip:  Bring and put on sunscreen 😉 .  Have a blast!

• Like 1

Not quite Bandon, but here's some inspiration @BG5 😉

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

@Lefty_89 awesome stuff, hope you can get both your December and April trip in, I'm jealous, I only have 1 reservation email in my inbox 😁

Kidding aside, I was there this April and blown away by how great the weather was and the gorgeous gorse in full bloom.  Thinking that the week after the Masters may be my new go to week for a PNW trip.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2021 at 10:17 AM, Lefty_89 said:

1st trip in December we were first or 2nd off for all morning tee times. Got 36 in 2 of the 3 days we were there, even if it was getting pretty dark by the end of the 2nd round it wasn't unplayable by any means. We also got lucky with weather besides a big rain/lightning storm that wiped out our 2nd round after 5 holes.  

Edited by eboettne
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 9:08 PM, jrg75 said:

A little late to the party on this, but I've done the Chambers/Bandon combo twice and would definitely recommend it.  Pacific Dunes is a better course than Chambers IMO, but there's something about playing a course that hosted a US Open (especially a pretty memorable one) that makes for a pretty big thrill.  And it really is a great course in it's own right.  Decided on a whim to take a caddie the second time I played Chambers and he was fantastic, a really positive guy who definitely made an enjoyable round even better.

Did the drive once (pretty brutal) and the flight from SeaTac to Eugene on Alaska the other time, which was a total breeze (and inexpensive).  Well worth it if your schedule allows.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jrg75 said:

@Lefty_89 awesome stuff, hope you can get both your December and April trip in, I'm jealous, I only have 1 reservation email in my inbox 😁

Kidding aside, I was there this April and blown away by how great the weather was and the gorgeous gorse in full bloom.  Thinking that the week after the Masters may be my new go to week for a PNW trip.

April is still yet to be seen, dependent if I can convince the wife. Letting me be gone for 7 nights alone is a feat in itself lol. Can't wait for December and to experience it with a big group - looks like there will be 10 of us and we're set up at Round Lake.

My first and only trip was this past October and we weren't able to see gorse in full bloom - definitely I'd like to experience.

When is your upcoming trip?

2 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

April is still yet to be seen, dependent if I can convince the wife. Letting me be gone for 7 nights alone is a feat in itself lol. Can't wait for December and to experience it with a big group - looks like there will be 10 of us and we're set up at Round Lake.

My first and only trip was this past October and we weren't able to see gorse in full bloom - definitely I'd like to experience.

When is your upcoming trip?

I'm going May 2022 (so far away), 4 days, 6 rounds plus preserve.  Will be my 6th trip and third in May.  I really wanted April next year based on this year's experience but I'm going with a group that has never been and they have Masters tickets and we couldn't make schedules work (first world problems).  

• Like 1

Are there any pitfalls of hopping off I-5 in Eugene and taking the highway to Florence and then heading south? My group has never seen the Pacific Ocean and I think that drive would be a fun way to start the trip, but we don’t have a ton of extra time to get to Bandon. Any pros and cons on the best/funnest way to drive from PDX to Bandon?

A53B26C0-BD16-487F-AB2F-3E765AD5AB7A.png

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bamabowtie said:

Are there any pitfalls of hopping off I-5 in Eugene and taking the highway to Florence and then heading south? My group has never seen the Pacific Ocean and I think that drive would be a fun way to start the trip, but we don’t have a ton of extra time to get to Bandon. Any pros and cons on the best/funnest way to drive from PDX to Bandon?

I don't have every section of the 101 memorised. But I have driven it all many times.  Much of the 101 is amazing in terms of views but some section can be a pretty rolling winding road - for some that = 😀 for other that =🤮. Some section are pretty much in the woods with only peekaboo views, but then you get the amazing Redwoods.

I will say this - the section from Newport to Florence is one of the nicer sections for ocean views. You would need to cut down earlier and take about 30min longer getting there to take this route but if true coast views is the goal, then it is worth it.

Edited by 2bGood

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bamabowtie said:

You won't see any of the ocean cutting over to Florence from Eugene and then going south.  What I'd HIGHLY recommend is to set your GPS to go PDX to Lincoln City on the coast, and then down 101 to Bandon.  It only adds about 45 minutes to the trip, but there's stunning scenery on that stretch of the coast between Lincoln City and Florence.  Cannot recommend this route highly enough for those that want a scenic drive.

Edited by Seamus_MacDuff
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

You won't see any of the ocean cutting over to Florence from Eugene and then going south.  What I'd HIGHLY recommend is to set your GPS to go PDX to Lincoln City on the coast, and then down 101 to Bandon.  It only adds about 45 minutes to the trip, but there's stunning scenery on that stretch of the coast between Lincoln City and Florence.  Cannot recommend this route highly enough for those that want a scenic drive.

Perfect! That’s exactly the type of advice I was fishing for. Thank you both!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bamabowtie said:

Just an odd question but why does your map have you going down to Roseburg area?  Pretty sure 38 / Elkton is the quickest route.   

A mute point of course as you want to see the coast and agree its a really nice drive. Did it last October.  What @Seamas_MacDuff pointed out is probably the best route if you want to see the coastline. 

I will note if you go @Seamas_Macduff route you will probably want to stop for photos so plan on that  😃 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CDM said:

Just an odd question but why does your map have you going down to Roseburg area?  Pretty sure 38 / Elkton is the quickest route.   

A mute point of course as you want to see the coast and agree its a really nice drive. Did it last October.  What @Seamas_MacDuff pointed out is probably the best route if you want to see the coastline. 

I will note if you go @Seamas_Macduff route you will probably want to stop for photos so plan on that  😃 

The highlighted middle route on his map is the 38 through Elkton/Drain, pops out at Reedsport.  Google maps lists the southern one through Roseburg and the northern one through Florence as alternates,  the recommended one is 38.

• Like 1

Agree with Seamus and 2bGood for advice on the coastal scenery from Lincoln City to Florence.  If you go that route, stop at Luna Sea in Yachats (pronounced "YAH-hots") for some of the best seafood on the Oregon Coast.

The one advantage to cutting over at Eugene is you can stop in at Fiddler's Green if you need anything golf gear-related.  Huge place with arguably the best prices in the PNW.

Also a very good links-ish course in Florence (Florence Golf Links, formerly known as Sandpines) if you want a quick 18 holes on the way, but probably better to just get to Bandon.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"