Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

The room for error or "misses" at Sheep are definitely the largest - if it's not in the gorse or Pacific, you'll likely find it in an adjoining fairway. So like spud mentioned, Sheep could be the longest or shortest track depending on where you're hitting it and how the wind is.

Truth be told, 35mph winds during an afternoon round at Pac was much more taxing than a mild afternoon round at Trails.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback on which courses are the toughest walks.

Since I found out I can use caddie cash and I plan to use my credit card for pretty much everything.....Is there reason to have more than $200 cash on me????  I plan to have some tip money for those around the resort but besides gambling is there any reason to have any more cash than $200?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

24 minutes ago, BG5 said:

Since I found out I can use caddie cash and I plan to use my credit card for pretty much everything.....Is there reason to have more than $200 cash on me????  I plan to have some tip money for those around the resort but besides gambling is there any reason to have any more cash than $200?

no. You can charge everything to your room and just have some bills to tip shuttle drivers etc.

2 hours ago, BG5 said:

I take more cash but for a stupid reason. I used to work in restaurants and I will pay with a card but tip in cash. I like leaving it up to the server what they claim in tips where as with a credit card they have to claim the full amount. So I use cash to tip for food and that’s about it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BG5 said:

You can charge almost everything to your room. Hell, even the Caddy cash gets charged to your room. It can get dangerous for someone who loves spending money (like me).

13 hours ago, mallrat said:

I take more cash but for a stupid reason. I used to work in restaurants and I will pay with a card but tip in cash. I like leaving it up to the server what they claim in tips where as with a credit card they have to claim the full amount. So I use cash to tip for food and that’s about it. 

That's a good idea. Hadnt thought about that before.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

As lefty mentioned, the exposure to the elements is the wildcard for how difficult the round is physically.  I've always found OM to be the toughest.  Maybe the winds, maybe the hard turf, or maybe I just don't play well there making everything more difficult.  Even though Trails is the most demanding from a pure walking/elevation standpoint, it's also the most peaceful and serene, which can shift the perspective.

• Like 3

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

3 hours ago, buzlin said:

As lefty mentioned, the exposure to the elements is the wildcard for how difficult the round is physically.  I've always found OM to be the toughest.  Maybe the winds, maybe the hard turf, or maybe I just don't play well there making everything more difficult.  Even though Trails is the most demanding from a pure walking/elevation standpoint, it's also the most peaceful and serene, which can shift the perspective.

All things relative (wind, weather, etc.) where would you prefer to spend an afternoon / evening round on property?

Trails or Bandon.  Trails is just a great course and a lovely walk.  Bandon is the like an old friend, familiar and always a good time.  OM and I just don't get along.  PD can be a bit much for an afternoon "relaxing" round, as I feel like it takes the most focus to play it properly.  SR is too new, so I'm holding off making any concrete statements.

• Like 2

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

5 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

All things relative (wind, weather, etc.) where would you prefer to spend an afternoon / evening round on property?

This is really a version of "what is is your favourite course" question.

If you could only play one Bandon course - it has to be Pacific or Bandon as each are the purest representation of what the property offers.

Given this my answer is Bandon Dunes - It is more playable than Pacific, but still great views with great holes etc. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

Great points - love the discussion as always guys.

I played both Bandon and Trails in the evening and each provide distant but similar experiences, if that makes sense. Tranquility of being “alone” at Trails vs. the dramatic coastal sunset at BD. Having said that, I would concur with spud that if I could be anywhere on property with 30-45 minutes until sundown, it’s 16 tee at BD. Quite possibly my favorite spot on earth.

I do want to experience 15-17 on Sheep in the evening, hopefully an opportunity on my next trip. I’m of the idea that you should try and make a plan to play each course in the AM/PM, as both will provide different experiences.

• Like 1

Gents,

I arrive in Bandon this Friday and have made a few last minutes changes to my tee times.....would love to hear your thoughts on this trip....Is playing Pac dunes back to back a mistake?  My buddy will be arriving late that day and wants it to be his first round so thats why its setup that day.  Another option would be to play pac dunes on day 1 in the PM but the thought of wind scares me. 

Day 1  Bandon Dunes PM

Day 2    Old Mac AM and Bandon Trails PM

Day 3   Pacific Dunes AM and Pacific Dunes PM

Day 4    Sheep Ranch AM and Bandon Dunes PM

Day 5   Pacific Dunes AM and Bandon Preserve PM

Day 6 Sheep Ranch AM and Old Mac PM

Day 7 Bandon Dunes AM and Bandon Trails PM

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

12 hours ago, BG5 said:

Gents,

I arrive in Bandon this Friday and have made a few last minutes changes to my tee times.....would love to hear your thoughts on this trip....Is playing Pac dunes back to back a mistake?  My buddy will be arriving late that day and wants it to be his first round so thats why its setup that day.  Another option would be to play pac dunes on day 1 in the PM but the thought of wind scares me. 

Day 1  Bandon Dunes PM

Day 2    Old Mac AM and Bandon Trails PM

Day 3   Pacific Dunes AM and Pacific Dunes PM

Day 4    Sheep Ranch AM and Bandon Dunes PM

Day 5   Pacific Dunes AM and Bandon Preserve PM

Day 6 Sheep Ranch AM and Old Mac PM

Day 7 Bandon Dunes AM and Bandon Trails PM

Nice balance. You have AM and PM times for most of the courses. Day 2 is a tougher day, but not really a big deal.

Pacific back to back is great in my view. The only downside is on shorter trips if you only see a course on one day - if you catch really bad weather or are playing really bad you don't have a second chance at the course- but given you are back on Day 5, I would not worry about that

Edited by 2bGood

+1 on 2bgood's comment.

I love playing a course in the morning, stopping for a bite to eat and a bit of a break, then heading right back out on the same one.

Takes care of that little gnawing feeling of "man, I wish I had another shot at that one hole..."

You can also mix it up and play from a different set of tees.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I have been watch alot of the course vlogs and for some reason Old Mac just seems like a course that is good but not as great as the rest.  Would I be crazy only to play it once on my trip and add a third round on either sheep ranch or bandon trails?

My rounds would be as follows

Pacific Dunes 3 rounds

Bandon Dunes 3 Rounds

Sheep Ranch 3 rounds (I could do just 2 at sheep ranch and go 3 at bandon trails)

Bandon Trails 2 Rounds

Old Mac 1 Round

Perserve 1 Round

Thoughts about ditching old mac for only a round.  I have always been a guy who loves scenary and I also love courses deep in the woods so Sheep Ranch and Bandon Trails fit that bill.....thoughts?

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Old Mac for me was easily my least favorite course. But I guarantee within three posts someone will say its their favorite lol - SO, its hard for me to make any recommendations in that regard. IMO I think you should play all the courses at least once and form your own opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

1 hour ago, BG5 said:

I have been watch alot of the course vlogs and for some reason Old Mac just seems like a course that is good but not as great as the rest.  Would I be crazy only to play it once on my trip and add a third round on either sheep ranch or bandon trails?

Pacific Dunes 3 rounds

Bandon Dunes 3 Rounds

Sheep Ranch 3 rounds (I could do just 2 at sheep ranch and go 3 at bandon trails)

Bandon Trails 2 Rounds

Old Mac 1 Round

Perserve 1 Round

Thoughts about ditching old mac for only a round.  I have always been a guy who loves scenary and I also love courses deep in the woods so Sheep Ranch and Bandon Trails fit that bill.....thoughts?

This isn't going to Kohler or Pinehurst. These courses are all equally up there, in the as good as it gets stakes for North American public courses.

Everyone will have their preferences - OM is 2nd or 3rd for me, between it and Trails, depending on the year for instance - but there is not much in it between them.

I know we like to say there are 'no bad choices' at Bandon...

... but that said, playing OM once while playing those others 3 times is not a great choice.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

7 hours ago, BG5 said:

Pacific Dunes 3 rounds

Bandon Dunes 3 Rounds

Bandon Trails 2 Rounds

Old Mac 1 Round

Perserve 1 Round

These threads point out how ridiculously good Bandon Dunes Resort is. 

Old Mac is #12 on the current top 100 public courses in North America list😁. It is Kind of mind blowing that you can have a legitimate debate about wether it is worth playing a course in the top 15 twice well visiting the area! But you can have that debate when you have 3 other courses ranking 2-14 on the same list. 

OM is more subtle than PD or BD and personally I think it takes more than one round to appreciate the course. I would not plan a first visit for someone and give them the schedule you have. OM deserves two rounds. 

PS: I don't take the ranking lists too seriously 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 7:44 PM, BG5 said:

You don't need it, but it might not hurt. You can charge pretty much everything to your room, but in the handful of times I've been to Bandon and Sand Valley without fail you've got multiple guys at the checkout counter trying to figure out why their bill is so high after they charged so much without thinking.

• Haha 2

Like DC, I ranked OM as my least favorite of the 5, yet regret only playing it once, b/c I am about 95% sure I'll love it next time I play it. Personally, I would want to give it 2 cracks before playing a third round on one of the other courses, if only to make sure I gave it a fair shake.   

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

If you have the opportunity to play each course more than once, you should.  All five are of the nature that they do not reveal their subtleties with just one round.  OM is at the bottom of my list, personally, but that's probably because I haven't really figured it out yet...

33 minutes ago, spud3 said:

If you have the opportunity to play each course more than once, you should.  All five are of the nature that they do not reveal their subtleties with just one round.  OM is at the bottom of my list, personally, but that's probably because I haven't really figured it out yet...

This is something weird that I guess I dont understand the approach (and its definitely not just you BTW) but the whole  "maybe I need to play it a few more times to understand it" - if you really didnt like it in the first place. There are some times you play a course that you just dont like, hey it happens. If I went on another random golf trip to...I dont know, say Michigan. And I played a course I didnt like. I would just say, "You know what, I  just didnt like the course. I get that other people liked it but I liked other ones better" - and then I would probably never go back there.

But its different when people talk about Bandon. I feel like with Bandon people dont want to say anything bad about it because...I dont know why. Because they are all ranked so high? Because other people liked it? Because we spend so much time talking about it LOL?

I didnt play Preserve on my last trip and would much rather spend a few hours there than at OM again.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

8 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

This is something weird that I guess I dont understand the approach (and its definitely not just you BTW) but the whole  "maybe I need to play it a few more times to understand it" - if you really didnt like it in the first place. There are some times you play a course that you just dont like, hey it happens. If I went on another random golf trip to...I dont know, say Michigan. And I played a course I didnt like. I would just say, "You know what, I  just didnt like the course. I get that other people liked it but I liked other ones better" - and then I would probably never go back there.

But its different when people talk about Bandon. I feel like with Bandon people dont want to say anything bad about it because...I dont know why. Because they are all ranked so high? Because other people liked it? Because we spend so much time talking about it LOL?

I didnt play Preserve on my last trip and would much rather spend a few hours there than at OM again.

I get if you really don't like a course and don't like one at Bandon specifically.

But you can very much enjoy all 5 courses (because they are all fantastic) without being disingenuous. And if you are going to personally rank them, well yes something quite literally is coming in last.

Courses can also be 'growers' and genuinely need multiple plays. Especially to get an appreciation for the greens and the variety that comes with different conditions. But what is the opposite of a grower? I was initially wowed by the prettiness of Pac for example, but more plays had me liking it less, As last trip I only got through 7 holes before being stormed off the course and didn't feel like my trip was lacking for not playing it. But does that mean I think it's poor and never want to play it again? No it means I've played it a lot already, will again, and one trip without it is fine.

As an aside, I have no problem saying I really don't like a course. Take Spyglass for example. No really, someone take it, it's garbage. And speaking of Michigan, Arcadia Bluffs is a course I don't need to play again.

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Has anyone who didn't like OM eventually grow to like/love it? 

I'm in the camp of giving it at least two tries, though anecdotally, I tried 6 times and eventually dropped it completely (7 of 8 of our regular Bandon crew were on board with this decision).  There are some holes I really enjoy, but not enough to play it over the other courses.  Kinda like the Preserve is awesome, but not awesome enough to replace X holes on one of the full courses.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

22 minutes ago, buzlin said:

I'm in the camp of giving it at least two tries, though anecdotally, I tried 6 times and eventually dropped it completely (7 of 8 of our regular Bandon crew were on board with this decision).  There are some holes I really enjoy, but not enough to play it over the other courses.  Kinda like the Preserve is awesome, but not awesome enough to replace X holes on one of the full courses.

I thought Old Mac was stupid the first time I played it but on my 2nd trip I appreciated it.  Mostly due to understanding the lines and angles to approach the holes, got myself in a lot less trouble 2nd loop around. It's still bottom of my Bandon rankings but it's still probably in my top 10 of courses I've ever played. Being 1st tee time off on a sunny calm morning on Old Mac is a feeling unlike the other courses IMO and unlike anywhere I've ever been too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, buzlin said:

I didn't love OM, but there were a few holes that I thought were pretty cool, particularly the back 9 and finishing holes. IMO courses like OM that are more links style require some more experience to be figured out the best way for each player to play it; a caddie is ideal but it's also not easy to trust a line you cannot see. I've played it once and standing on many tee boxes had no idea what to do except try to follow my buddies' lines. On one hole, I think 4, I piped a drive and thought I was in great shape, only to hear somebody say that's in the sand; little did I know it fell off to the right and collected into bunkers. Stuff like that if you don't know better can really frustrate a player and make them dislike a course, but once they figure it out everything can change. I was frustrated but I realized had I known what I was doing that the course could play entirely different, and I'll gladly play it again on my next trip.

Then again there are some things that cannot be made better simply by playing again, and one of those were the fescue greens that I didn't care for. They were very shaggy and slow which I found a bit surprising given that it prohibited the undulations from being used much. I get that it was probably to protect the greens from the wind drying them out and perhaps making them unplayable, but they took away from putting being a potential reward.

1 hour ago, buzlin said:

Typically seeing it in multiple wind directions really changes it up more than the others IMHO, but after 8 rounds you would have seen that. I've liked it from the off and agree with ebo's sentiment, it's my favorite start at the resort.

Question for those that actually don't like it (not having it 4th/5th fave) - have you played in the UK and what do you think of their traditional courses? OM is the best approximation of what the old Scottish, English, and Welsh links courses are like, but admittedly turned up a wee bit too much in a few places. And I don't mean the specific template holes, but just generally the style of having 1/2 par holes, less framing and definition is spots, along with more of a ground game available than the others and punctuated with the occasional green that is a bit silly.

Oh agree on the Preserve. It is just the Punchbowl, but with wedges. Would rather the $50 go for a few beers and tips for the servers 😉

Edited by duffer987

F.T.

For me, OM is at the bottom of the Bandon List for a couple reasons:

1. It's the only course there that I don't have at least one really good score on

2. That's mainly due to putting issues (not the course's fault)

3. The middle section is kind of meh, compared to all the other courses

Having said that, there's still only a couple other non-Bandon courses in my 'courses played' list that I would rather play than OM.  It's not a bad course, and I have no problem stating when I don't like a course that has generally rave reviews (Pumpkin Ridge comes to mind).

It's the 'Least Attractive Supermodel' situation...

• Like 2