Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

Super interesting comments about OM. It climbed all the way #1 on my list at one point. Back down to #3 currently. Trails is the only course that has not been on the top of my list. SR even was up there pre-opening though I have never played the actual course.

Some course you love right off the bat, but also know you won't find them interesting after several rounds. Gamble Sands is like that for me - super fun for a one night stand, but not long term relationship material. Other courses you need some time to get to know them. For me my affection for OM has to do with courses in the UK it reminds me of and hitting or seeing many memorable shots there. 

• Like 2

Having played at least 15 rounds on OM, I've grown to like it a lot.  I have it below PD and BT in my personal resort ranking, but above BD and SR.  Despite my affinity for it, it does have weaknesses.  In particular, a few severe greens that are borderline unplayable in a strong wind. The par 4 11th (the homage to the Road Hole) and par 3 12th (homage to the Redan) are both virtually impossible to hold in Bandon's typical strong winds.  Both are holes with long approach shots to greens that demand precision, and the surrounds on both green complexes are so severe that missed balls bounce well away from the green, leaving extremely difficult chips or putts to get back on.  I'm hoping that Mr. Keiser invites Renaissance Golf back to make some changes to soften some of the harsher elements of the course, much like DMK Design has tinkered with Bandon Dunes over the years to make it more playable.

Edited by Seamus_MacDuff
  • Like 4

I like that point about 'hitting it off' right away, but then not a lot of substance @2bGood - the fewer prescribed shots and results, the better for sure, and there I think OM shines. OM #3 plays the same pretty much all the time - drive down right of the bunker, pitch over top of it to the green and staying left on #17 is the same objective every time. Otherwise there is a ton of variety available off the tee and the subsequent approaches. That is also my bug bear with Pac, playing most like a typical North American course, where being in the same spot off the tee and needing the same aerial approaches time and again, reduces the variety.

@Seamus MacDuff - #12 definitely needs something. There is no green I've seen hit less in regulation than it and that includes Trails #14. See more balls on #15 in two, than #12 in regulation. I think OM #11 is actually a really solid approximation. Wind makes such a difference on that hole. I had the 3W vs 9I approaches my last two rounds there.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I've said in the past that I think, in general, low singles (truly control your ball) and high cappers (enjoy the scale and fun bounces) probably find OM to be more enjoyable.  Now I'll add those who know/love classic links courses/architecture.  All generalizations of course.  GolfWRXers are a unique bunch, so I'm probably ruffling feathers with my generalizations.  Or maybe I'm just flat out wrong.

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

I think for me, I didn't enjoy or appreciate OM as much as I could have because of the slot in which I played it during my first trip.

Played BD the afternoon of Day 1 and then getting out to OM the next morning...sort of a let down, I guess you could say? Then I played Pac and the excitement was back and next day SR/BT.

I feel like had I played OM first, or heck possibly last on the trip, I would have enjoyed it more for what it is - which is still an exceptional course that I would surely rather play than most courses I've ever pegged.

3 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

I think for me, I didn't enjoy or appreciate OM as much as I could have because of the slot in which I played it during my first trip.

Played BD the afternoon of Day 1 and then getting out to OM the next morning...sort of a let down, I guess you could say? Then I played Pac and the excitement was back and next day SR/BT.

I feel like had I played OM first, or heck possibly last on the trip, I would have enjoyed it more for what it is - which is still an exceptional course that I would surely rather play than most courses I've ever pegged.

We almost always play OM last. 

5 hours ago, spud3 said:

It's the 'Least Attractive Supermodel' situation...

This sums up my feelings on OM. If it were a 1-2 hour drive from me, I would play it all the time. I’ve enjoyed every round I’ve played there (even one in rain, wind, and hail). Would never skip it on a visit. It’s just 4th out of 4 (haven’t played SR yet, though I assume OM will be 5 out of 5 after that).

I can certainly understand people having buyer’s remorse playing a round at OM when they could have played one of the others, but I personally have never felt that way.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the thoughtful posts in regard to Old Mac.  By no means do I think Old Mac stinks and I have no doubt it will be one of the best courses that I have ever played.  But I am a sucker for holes on the ocean and after watching all the golf vlogs and videos it appears that Pac Dunes, Bandon Dunes, and Sheep Ranch have a few holes that are simply out of this world in terms of views.  With that being said I just switched my trip up as follows.

Thanks for all the thoughtful posts in regard to Old Mac.  By no means do I think Old Mac stinks and I have no doubt it will be one of the best courses that I have ever played.  But I am a sucker for holes on the ocean and after watching all the golf vlogs and videos it appears that Pac Dunes, Bandon Dunes, and Sheep Ranch have a few holes that are simply out of this world in terms of views.  With that being said I just switched my trip up as follows.

Day 1 Bandon Dunes

Day 2 Pac Dunes and Bandon Trails

Day 3 Sheep Ranch and Pac Dunes

Day 4 Sheep Ranch & Bandon Dunes

Day 5 Pac Dunes and The Preserve

Day 6 Sheep Ranch and Old Mac

Day 7 Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails

As of now it looks like the day I arrice is gonna be heavy wind at Bandon Dunes so I am considering playing my first round at Bandon Trails but the thought of seeing the sun set around 16 is making me want my first round to be Bandon Dunes

So as of Now

Pacific Dunes = 3 round

Bandon Dunes = 3 Rounds

Sheep Ranch = 3 Rounds

Bandon Trails = 2 Rounds

Old MAc = 1

Preserve = 1 but I am guessing I will play it at least a second time

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

^I thought I was a pedant 😉

Seriously man, your initial sched, from what two months ago now, was spot on and an awesome trip. Everything since then is unnecessary. It's the Oregon coast, you are going to get the weather you are given and you are going to have a great time.

Breathe in... breathe out. Make your flight, drive safely, play golf, eat and drink, sleep, repeat. Have fun.

Edited by duffer987
  • Like 3

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

4 hours ago, BG5 said:

Day 1 Bandon Dunes

Day 2 Pac Dunes and Bandon Trails

Day 3 Sheep Ranch and Pac Dunes

Day 4 Sheep Ranch & Bandon Dunes

Day 5 Pac Dunes and The Preserve

Day 6 Sheep Ranch and Old Mac

Day 7 Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails

As of now it looks like the day I arrice is gonna be heavy wind at Bandon Dunes so I am considering playing my first round at Bandon Trails but the thought of seeing the sun set around 16 is making me want my first round to be Bandon Dunes

So as of Now

Pacific Dunes = 3 round

Bandon Dunes = 3 Rounds

Sheep Ranch = 3 Rounds

Bandon Trails = 2 Rounds

Old MAc = 1

Preserve = 1 but I am guessing I will play it at least a second time

You are over thinking it. 

• Like 4

Interesting reading this thread and the thoughts/opinions.  

I have not played Bandon yet, saw it "live" for the first time last October BUT will be there in 10 days 😃   

Is it odd that I have no expectation of the place, how well I play, etc..?  

Don't get me wrong, I am truly looking forward to going. A good friend mentioned "Dream Golf" to me so been reading it o on the side. Interesting to learn more on how it came to be.    

Best way to put it is I don't have a "vision" in my head of what it "should be.  I figure show up, play and go from there.....

8 hours ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

It’s summer. Every afternoon is going to see high winds. To maximize your enjoyment play your buddies in match play rather than stroke play. Compete against each other, not the scorecard. 

Is the wind really any better in the winter? I've only been in the summer, and have been lucky every time with weather. I am going this November, can I expect "low" winds?

Low winds at Bandon means a 1 club wind. In the 60 to 70 rounds I’ve played there I can remember maybe two where the flags were completely still. And my trips are between November and March. The “average” wind I’ve seen is usually about 10 to 15mph, gusting around 20. At Bandon you don’t start thinking this is bad wind until you’re about 4 clubs off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CDM said:

Interesting reading this thread and the thoughts/opinions.  

I have not played Bandon yet, saw it "live" for the first time last October BUT will be there in 10 days 😃   

Is it odd that I have no expectation of the place, how well I play, etc..?  

Don't get me wrong, I am truly looking forward to going. A good friend mentioned "Dream Golf" to me so been reading it o on the side. Interesting to learn more on how it came to be.    

Best way to put it is I don't have a "vision" in my head of what it "should be.  I figure show up, play and go from there.....

I was on the other end of the spectrum prior to my first trip - watched course vlogs on repeat, stared at course camera way too much (not), and listened to every podcast about Bandon that I could find. You'd think it would have "ruined" the experience, but it didn't. Any expectations or ideas you have of Bandon will multiply by an insane amount the second you're on property.

Regardless if you've soaked up as much Bandon knowledge beforehand or not, you will have the trip of your lifetime. Just be ready for the urge to book another trip the minute you return home 😉

Also, Dream Golf is fantastic and I finished it on the flight to PDX. You're doing it right.

• Like 2

I’m going with a group of 8 in October. We have a week lined up of one round per day but want to play additional rounds as in BD for sunset and another round on trails. 

how does it work with singles going out? Can you ask your caddy to go out with you again just alone? I would assume I would get paired with someone. 

36 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

I was on the other end of the spectrum prior to my first trip - watched course vlogs on repeat, stared at course camera way too much (not), and listened to every podcast about Bandon that I could find. You'd think it would have "ruined" the experience, but it didn't. Any expectations or ideas you have of Bandon will multiply by an insane amount the second you're on property.

Regardless if you've soaked up as much Bandon knowledge beforehand or not, you will have the trip of your lifetime. Just be ready for the urge to book another trip the minute you return home 😉

Also, Dream Golf is fantastic and I finished it on the flight to PDX. You're doing it right.

I figured get the basic background and absorb it all in when there makes more sense for me.  I figured if I just got into all the videos and comments it would create a vision of what I think should be and we all know golf is different for everyone.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BgSprings87 said:

I’m going with a group of 8 in October. We have a week lined up of one round per day but want to play additional rounds as in BD for sunset and another round on trails. 

how does it work with singles going out? Can you ask your caddy to go out with you again just alone? I would assume I would get paired with someone. 

Let the caddie master know in advance your plan and they will sort it out. Typically they do their best to keep your caddie with you all trip or at the very least all day - even if you are mixing up groups. 

Of course practically speaking this is not always possible. For instance if a caddie double bags in the morning and then the two guys play in different groups in the afternoon. 

Gents,

Would it be silly to go for a 54 hole day early in a Bandon Trip.  I play on Saturday and am playing Pac Dunes in monring and Bandon Trails in afternoon.  It appears I could get on Old Mac and easily get in another 18.  As long as my body is feeling good should I go for it on my 2nd day of a 7 day trip or is that just asking for problems?  I also thought about just doing the preserve after I play 36.  Thoughts?

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

1 hour ago, BG5 said:

Gents,

Would it be silly to go for a 54 hole day early in a Bandon Trip.  I play on Saturday and am playing Pac Dunes in monring and Bandon Trails in afternoon.  It appears I could get on Old Mac and easily get in another 18.  As long as my body is feeling good should I go for it on my 2nd day of a 7 day trip or is that just asking for problems?  I also thought about just doing the preserve after I play 36.  Thoughts?

Realistic - yes

Seeing that you have 13 rounds booked for 7 days...your body might tell you otherwise. Especially if the winds are up for your Day 3 at Sheep and Pac, you might end up regretting that decision so soon with so much golf left to play.

Play it by ear. Loop 9 (or 18) holes of your favorite course on the last day if you're up for it.

Edited by Lefty_89
  • Like 1

I played 54 once but it was not part of a 7 day, 13 round trip and even then, my timing was somewhat lucky as I played my last two rounds as a single on a relatively quiet course allowing me to zip around in a little over 3 hours.

I can't imagine plugging a 3 round day with an afternoon at old mac into your schedule.  I really think you may be underestimating the afternoon winds and how exposed some of the courses are.  I play 36 holes a day for multiple days a lot when I travel (Sand Valley, Streaming, etc.) and 36 at Bandon in 30 mph winds is a completely different animal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BG5 said:

Gents,

Another vote for too much, too early. Beyond that, any round you schedule, you're paying for regardless of whether you're feeling well or not. If you go too hard too early and have to back out of a round, you're still on the hook for paying for that round. You'll get a gift card/voucher though. I'd make a game time decision post 2nd round if you really feel like it.

Good Points by all....Ill stick to 36 holes and pace myself.  Im gonna be teeing off today at 4:40 on Bandon Dunes for my opening round so I am pretty pumped.  I am gonna write a detailed trip report (I'll post it later this evening)  With pics of my favorite holes or approach shots.  Appreciate all the advice on this forum......you guys are vets at Bandon and all your words of wisdom have a made a rookie like myself feel great about the upcoming trip.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Currently flying over Montana as we speak and Plane is supposed to land by 11:15 in Portland.....hoping I can get my bags and car and be on the road by noon....we shall see 🙂

• Like 2

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link