2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

28 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

@duffer987 how is your trip this week shaping up? And what trip(s) do you have on the books next year? Weather looks phenomenal out there right now, as usual.  

This Friday really is just a stop and go - phoned last Friday and only had one realistic early option 7:40 SR, so took it. Will replay whatever and then keep driving. Have to take 1/101 from Bay Area to Portland, on my way to Canada and literally could not pass Bandon without stopping 😆. Prices are silly compared to offseason, but screw it. Speaking of which, the entire coast is booked up hotel wise and the few that aren't are gouging like nobodies business. Stupidly hadn't thought about that part, being summer hols and all.

Have Thanksgiving '21, '22 and Easter '22 on the books as well. The days (bar a single) of leaving bookings till later is far gone.

Edited by duffer987
  • Like 2

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Speaking of the future... that's a lot of future. Not sure I need to see events potentially exceeding my lifetime, lol

image.png.a59a3c25f922f30cb7f568d453be2ec2.png

• Haha 2

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

1 hour ago, duffer987 said:

This Friday really is just a stop and go - phoned last Friday and only had one realistic early option 7:40 SR, so took it. Will replay whatever and then keep driving. Taking 1/101 from Bay Area to Portland, on my way to Canada and literally could not pass Bandon without stopping 😆. Prices are silly compared to offseason, but screw it. Speaking of which, the entire coast is booked up hotel wise and the few that aren't are gouging like nobodies business. Stupidly hadn't thought about that part, being summer hols and all.

Have Thanksgiving '21, '22 and Easter '22 on the books as well. The days (bar a single) of leaving bookings till later is far gone.

Man I'd love to be able to make an impromptu trip to Bandon over a weekend, whenever I wanted. That would get me in serious trouble over time, but the good sort of trouble.

Surprised you were able to grab a SR slot on such a short window! The perks of being a single.

Nice trips lined out for next year though, I'll be there a week after you in April. 

On 7/18/2021 at 10:17 PM, mci711 said:

Same gear you take any month at Bandon 😂  layers and rain gear. Couple pairs of shoes and lots of socks. 

On 7/19/2021 at 8:37 AM, Edaw68 said:

Second this

Pullovers vs short sleeves? How thick on the pullovers? How many thick/thin vs a concentration of one over the other?
Pants vs shorts ratio? How thick the pants?

Golf vests needed? Any need for down filled jacket or down vests? If so, thin/thick? 
Soft spikes only or a pair of soft and a pair with cleats?

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

1 hour ago, Cwing said:

Pullovers vs short sleeves? How thick on the pullovers? How many thick/thin vs a concentration of one over the other?

Golf vests needed? Any need for down filled jacket or down vests? If so, thin/thick? 

See my picture in post above. I wore shorts, a thin long sleeve shirt (poly kind of thing), golf shirt, and put a vest on top when necessary. I did wear pants one day, and I was totally fine in a short sleeve golf shirt. The pants were pretty thin - again, all poly sort of pants. I never wore a long sleeve pullover while playing golf. 

Make sure you have golf shoes with a soft bottom as opposed to molded plastic. We walked 36 a day and went over 16 miles every day. You do not need cleats. I wear Footjoy M Project and they were great. Other people in my group bought new fancy shoes for the trip and paid the price with a few blisters. I guess soft spikes are fine, but again, make sure they are good and broken in and do not have a hard plastic bottom. 

You may not get as lucky with the weather. I had a misconception that it would rain every day. I’ve been to Ireland and experienced four seasons in one day. The caddies told us that Bandon just isn’t like that. Many people think it is, but it isn’t. Said that even when it rains, it is really more of a mist. July, for example, averages one day of rainfall. 

Even when the marine layer rolled in/came through, it wasn’t there long and I didn’t get wet. 

My trip was mid July and the weather was beautiful. If you call the resort the day before you leave, they will give you the local forecast for the next several days. I realize that sounds a little silly, but it is hard to get a good coastal forecast from the weather channel. 

Have fun!

3 hours ago, hh2nd said:

See my picture in post above. I wore shorts, a thin long sleeve shirt (poly kind of thing), golf shirt, and put a vest on top when necessary. I did wear pants one day, and I was totally fine in a short sleeve golf shirt. The pants were pretty thin - again, all poly sort of pants. I never wore a long sleeve pullover while playing golf. 

Make sure you have golf shoes with a soft bottom as opposed to molded plastic. We walked 36 a day and went over 16 miles every day. You do not need cleats. I wear Footjoy M Project and they were great. Other people in my group bought new fancy shoes for the trip and paid the price with a few blisters. I guess soft spikes are fine, but again, make sure they are good and broken in and do not have a hard plastic bottom. 

You may not get as lucky with the weather. I had a misconception that it would rain every day. I’ve been to Ireland and experienced four seasons in one day. The caddies told us that Bandon just isn’t like that. Many people think it is, but it isn’t. Said that even when it rains, it is really more of a mist. July, for example, averages one day of rainfall. 

Even when the marine layer rolled in/came through, it wasn’t there long and I didn’t get wet. 

My trip was mid July and the weather was beautiful. If you call the resort the day before you leave, they will give you the local forecast for the next several days. I realize that sounds a little silly, but it is hard to get a good coastal forecast from the weather channel. 

Have fun!

Thank you!!! 

I’d been to Scotland in 2014. Doesn’t sound as extreme as that trip.

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

59 minutes ago, Cwing said:

Thank you!!! 

I’d been to Scotland in 2014. Doesn’t sound as extreme as that trip.

I would wear pants, I think majority of people would agree. Might be wet, could be looking for balls in the tall stuff, it isn't going to be 90 degrees. It may just be me, but I hate when damp tall grass is rubbing on my legs. 

30 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I would wear pants, I think majority of people would agree. Might be wet, could be looking for balls in the tall stuff, it isn't going to be 90 degrees. It may just be me, but I hate when damp tall grass is rubbing on my legs. 

The tall stuff is pretty thin right now. Pictures make it look worse than it is. Shorts v pants in our group out of 32 rounds played, I’d bet 18 shorts and 14 pants. I just personally prefer shorts. If it is 55° or above, I’m wearing shorts. 

Caddies talked a lot about the misconception that it rains all the time. It isn’t like Ireland. 

17 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Looks like October Scotland trip is on the ropes. Any shot of booking Bandon as a single with a month or less notice if I hold out hope for a few more weeks?

Call the resort. There’s always a chance, especially for a single and more so if you are not locked in to any specific courses each day. I think they are back to the 30 day window for cancellations, but check that with them, too. The ladies in the Reservations group are really good at what they do 

Keep in mind that you can stay at a motel in town if the lodging is all booked

Edited by spud3

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

On 7/24/2021 at 7:49 PM, philsRHman said:

Looks like October Scotland trip is on the ropes. Any shot of booking Bandon as a single with a month or less notice if I hold out hope for a few more weeks?

I booked a last minute trip a couple weeks back. No rooms at the resort available, but managed to get a hotel room in town. Rooms at the Bandon Inn can be cancelled up to a few days before your stay, so if you’re even thinking about doing a trip and the resort doesn’t have rooms, I’d suggest locking in lodging first.

There were plenty of single times available, so I waited until 21 days out from my trip to book, which is the window to book pre 10 AM times I believe. As long as you have a little flexibility on tee times, I don’t think you should have any issue there.

Got my 2 rounds in on Friday (SR/Bandon) on a gorgeous, but blowy day. 1st 6 on SR were calm/breezy, next 6 1 club's worth, final 6 2 clubs, with gusts to 3 clubs. Bandon was between lotsa clubs worth to silly.

I have to say, 47 holes into SR now and IMHO it's more enjoyable course off the blacks than the greens. Paired up with a mom/dad/son and the fellas teed off from there, so I joined them. Obviously it's still not long - which is why it's still so playable from there and I'm now hardly stepping back on the other courses - but I feel it cures some of what ails the course, which is too many short par 3s and 5s.

Of course a nice summer's day with temps from 50-65 and it's no prob, when I'm back with the guys in the winter, I've got Underarmour on, a heat patch on my back, and my hands are cold, ya then we'll still being going green.

All that said, still don't think anything can cure the run from 10-13, which is what knocks the course back for me after the excellent front 9 and I still don't get what's so good about 17. Is it the tree? You can basically blast your teeball anywhere, unless/until they do something to toughen up the right rough approach.

Bandon is still Bandon, but definitely had the really long/really short shots thing going in all that wind 😃

Hadn't taken the coast up since Nov '19, so it was a nice change from the I5 drone - but do be wary of the Hwy 101 closures South of Crescent City. I planned them in and decided to join the queue and waited 90mins on the side of the road and went for a 101 hike, instead of going through after it reopened.

SR150506.jpg.a61bd53fae9f16c32031a9c20f53b3ba.jpg

HWY01.jpg.23c3f81bbab950f25d3038652ed49609.jpg

• Like 4

F.T.

33 minutes ago, duffer987 said:

Got my 2 rounds in on Friday (SR/Bandon) on a gorgeous, but blowy day. 1st 6 on SR were calm/breezy, next 6 1 club's worth, final 6 2 clubs, with gusts to 3 clubs. Bandon was between lotsa clubs worth to silly.

I have to say, 47 holes into SR now and IMHO it's more enjoyable course off the blacks than the greens. Paired up with a mom/dad/son and the fellas teed off from there, so I joined them. Obviously it's still not long - which is why it's still so playable from there and I'm now hardly stepping back on the other courses - but I feel it cures some of what ails the course, which is too many short par 3s and 5s.

Of course a nice summer's day with temps from 50-65 and it's no prob, when I'm back with the guys in the winter, I've got Underarmour on, a heat patch on my back, and my hands are cold, ya then we'll still being going green.

All that said, still don't think anything can cure the run from 10-13, which is what knocks the course back for me after the excellent front 9 and I still don't get what's so good about 17. Is it the tree? You can basically blast your teeball anywhere, unless/until they do something to toughen up the right rough approach.

Bandon is still Bandon, but definitely had the really long/really short shots thing going in all that wind 😃

Hadn't taken the coast up since Nov '19, so it was a nice change from the I5 drone - but do be wary of the Hwy 101 closures South of Crescent City. I planned them in and decided to join the queue and waited 90mins on the side of the road and went for a 101 hike, instead of going through after it reopened.

SR150506.jpg.a61bd53fae9f16c32031a9c20f53b3ba.jpg

HWY01.jpg.23c3f81bbab950f25d3038652ed49609.jpg

If they used the far back tee box on 17, The one behind 16 green, they could make it a Par 5. Change 18 to Par 4. Could move the 18 tees up just a little. 

18 minutes ago, hh2nd said:

If they used the far back tee box on 17, The one behind 16 green, they could make it a Par 5. Change 18 to Par 4. Could move the 18 tees up just a little. 

Until the first death maybe? 😉

• Haha 2

F.T.

I kicked myself for not playing blacks on Sheep - got suckered into "didn't want to be THAT guy" when the other 3 guys I was paired with chose green. But I'm the first at my home course to say I'm playing tips lol. Funny how that works.

Looks like a great quick trip, duffer! Thanks for sharing!

While I'm thinking of it, used the SR range to hit a half dozen balls before teeing off. It's really nice, being new, much more level than the main range, no stalls on the margins falling off the edge. For folks who like a warmup and are playing SR, would definitely skip the main range for it.

Have 12 stalls set up but could add a few more easily. Would say it's a 100 yards from first tee - way closer than the starter made it sound, in his obvious passive-aggressive cajoling to not be late for my time 🤭

20210723_073314.jpg.813f002e4d3e56a10d13f8e05ec47e38.jpg

Get a good sense here, I nicked this from Zillow, my mate wants us to go in on the land beside it, so someone here please buy it, lol

image.png.383cd84b029302625dad17635c849c0d.png

F.T.

On 7/25/2021 at 3:22 AM, Cwing said:

I was there in April, so my advice may be moot.

I went with pullovers over polos. I had medium weight pullovers. I took them off within a few holes for every round. But it was nice to have them. You can probably get away with a thin pullover, or maybe no pullover. 

I wore pants for 4 out of 5 rounds. The 1 round I wore shorts, it rained. I play in pants up to about 65*. I appreciated having pants most of the time and never regretted it.

I didnt wear a golf vest. I brought a heated vest, but never had the opportunity to wear it.

I wore spikes. I know someone else said not to wear spikes with a hard sole. To each their own. I wore my Jordan XIs and they were perfectly fine. I switched shoes and socks between each round. I actually switched out my entire 'fit after each round.

Ping me. We should chat!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

24 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

The 2022 Greens Fees now have a "Premium Day Guest."  Any idea what the difference is between a Premium Day Guest and Day Guest?  

According to the little asterisk note, premium day guests looks like an extra fee during peak months for booking more than 21 days out.  Probably intended to let people book guaranteed tee times when not staying at the resort but staying at a local hotel.  The previous practice was no booking tee times more than 21 days out unless you're staying at the resort.  (I've also heard but never confirmed if you paid all your tee times in advance non refundable they would allow non resort guests to book farther out.)  

Looks to me like a way to deal with having more tee times available than lodging.

• Like 2

Question for the Bandon vets on payments...I’ve done all the planning and everything for an upcoming trip for a couple buddies and myself in February and I was wondering if you guys think it would be better or easier to just have my buddies pay their portion to me directly, or it’s possible to just split it up while on site? I paid the deposit for the trip...are any of the rounds charged in advanced, or does that deposit go towards the cost of the room and then the rounds are billed on site? If they’re billed on site I’m leaning towards us just splitting up the costs on site. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!