Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

Just now, BG5 said:

To each their own....all world class golf courses for sure.  For some reason SV just doesnt do it for me and I prefer MD over SV.

The views at Bandon Dunes are out of this world.  To be honest the top 5 courses I have ever played are all at Bandon and that says a lot for me since I have played places like Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Streamsong, Kingsley Club, Oakland Hills etc.

But they are all fine courses and I am sure some people would agree with you.  We are just so lucky to have great golf courses in the U.S.

Agree! Splitting hairs. If I could only play Bandon courses the rest of my life I'd sign up for that in a heart beat. I've just never had more fun than playing 36 at SV. 

5 hours ago, roadtripper said:

Hey all.

Just found this thread and have been reading through the last couple of days.

I have been trying to talk my buddies into a trip to Bandon for years now, but cannot convince anyone to leave the comforts of the east coast, so it seems I will have to swing a solo trip.

My concern is that most of what I have read, it seems most, if not all of you are in to 0-7ish hdcp range.  I play to an 11, and don't play in windy conditions often.  

I play as a single quite often, and walk most of the time, so I am comfortable with my game locally, but I do not want to feel like a burden to whomever I would get paired up with if I am "inconsistent" with my game.

Am I over-thinking this?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Yes, you're over-thinking it.

Don't wait for your buddies.  Just go.

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

6 hours ago, roadtripper said:

Hey all.

I have been trying to talk my buddies into a trip to Bandon for years now, but cannot convince anyone to leave the comforts of the east coast, so it seems I will have to swing a solo trip.

My concern is that most of what I have read, it seems most, if not all of you are in to 0-7ish hdcp range.  I play to an 11, and don't play in windy conditions often.  

I play as a single quite often, and walk most of the time, so I am comfortable with my game locally, but I do not want to feel like a burden to whomever I would get paired up with if I am "inconsistent" with my game.

I was in the same boat as you.  Trying to talk friends into going for years, don't play in wind and usually around a 10 handicap.  Went by myself a couple of years ago and it was awesome.  Just do it; you won't regret it.  I'm lucky enough to live close enough to drive so I'm going to try to go every year. 

16 hours ago, roadtripper said:

Hey all.

I played Bandon for the first time in June this year.  Same issue for me was everyone I play with would not go.  I had it planned 2 years ago solo and a family issue came up, last year....well we all know that story....  So finally got out there this year. Actually a friend I meet in the last few years playing had not been and he was down.  We both had a great time.  We would both go back.... it really is that good..     It is a must DO.........   Everyone we meet was awesome.

* Now having been there and played all the courses I would do  Pac Dunes/SR/Bandon Dunes rotation.  Loved Trails but for us it was like playing here in Colorado, toss it / maybe not based on schedule.   Old Mac...I am in the group of  "Its good" ......but not sure I would do it again given how great some of the others are and I was really looking forward to it.  

13 hours ago, mci711 said:

This is going to be very controversial, but Sand Valley/Mammoth Dunes combo is a more fun than any combo at Bandon. (ducks from throwing objects)....  I think Sand Valley may actually be the best course out of all of them. Bandon is a better destination because of 5 world class courses and more depth obviously. 

How to say you're from Wisconsin, without saying you're from Wisconsin 😋

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

7 minutes ago, duffer987 said:

How to say you're from Wisconsin, without saying you're from Wisconsin 😋

Well, I am not from Wisconsin. I did live in Chicago for 7 years. I've been to both places an equal amount of times. I don't think it is that far fetched of a thing to say. Obviously Bandon is the better destination because of the variety and total number of world class courses. It is golf heaven. But just like everyone does with Bandon courses they rank them, and everyone is different. It wouldn't be crazy to play all 7 and think SV was my favorite or Mammoth Dunes was my favorite. And on a purely fun stand point I think it is the most fun combo. 

13 hours ago, mci711 said:

This is going to be very controversial, but Sand Valley/Mammoth Dunes combo is a more fun than any combo at Bandon. (ducks from throwing objects)....  I think Sand Valley may actually be the best course out of all of them. Bandon is a better destination because of 5 world class courses and more depth obviously. 

If you'd have left it at Mammoth Dunes I'd have agreed. I like SV course, but something about it didn't wow me, at lease not lime Mammoth did, and like many have said the destination and scenery of Bandon is hard to top. No Bandon course is as fun to play IMO as Mammoth, but that might just be because it's very much on the spacious side off the tee and without the wind, but at the same time that doesn't necessarily make it my favorite of them all, if that makes any sense.

Edited by VNutz

11 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Well, I am not from Wisconsin. I did live in Chicago for 7 years. I've been to both places an equal amount of times. I don't think it is that far fetched of a thing to say. Obviously Bandon is the better destination because of the variety and total number of world class courses. It is golf heaven. But just like everyone does with Bandon courses they rank them, and everyone is different. It wouldn't be crazy to play all 7 and think SV was my favorite or Mammoth Dunes was my favorite. And on a purely fun stand point I think it is the most fun combo. 

I was pretty sure you weren't from there 😉

MD is no better/more fun than say Gamble Sands, which are both part of DMK's over-correction period. Sure there are speed slots everywhere and heaving mounds and shoulders to play off of, but you can end up in the same collection areas over and over because they are so pronounced and end up having the same impact on a lot of different shots. It can get to the point where the quality of your teeball (assuming decent+) is meaningless.

Obviously no one can take serious issue with how someone ranks their faves - I'd need to go back again and maybe I could put SV/MD ahead of PD - but saying they are a more fun combo than what's on offer at Bandon, is writing a cheque SV cannot cash IMHO.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

My last trip was in June and I was there for 8 days......It was simply fantastic but also very expensive as you are paying peak price.....any thoughts or suggestions about what time to go in off season......the prices are so low in December its very tempting but I am sure you are risking rain.  I hate rain but would be willing to roll the dice and if it rains all day I would just go to the bar 🙂  Any other times in off season that are great?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

1 hour ago, VNutz said:

If you'd have left it at Mammoth Dunes I'd have agreed. I like SV course, but something about it didn't wow me, at lease not lime Mammoth did, and like many have said the destination and scenery of Bandon is hard to top. No Bandon course is as fun to play IMO as Mammoth, but that might just be because it's very much on the spacious side off the tee and without the wind, but at the same time that doesn't necessarily make it my favorite of them all, if that makes any sense.

51 minutes ago, duffer987 said:

I was pretty sure you weren't from there 😉

MD is no better/more fun than say Gamble Sands, which are both part of DMK's over-correction period. Sure there are speed slots everywhere and heaving mounds and shoulders to play off of, but you can end up in the same collection areas over and over because they are so pronounced and end up having the same impact on a lot of different shots. It can get to the point where the quality of your teeball (assuming decent+) is meaningless.

Obviously no one can take serious issue with how someone ranks their faves - I'd need to go back again and maybe I could put SV/MD ahead of PD - but saying they are a more fun combo than what's on offer at Bandon, is writing a cheque SV cannot cash IMHO.

These are back to back post. The beauty of subjective golf course rankings. Someone else saying that MD is the most fun course of the bunch. The 7 main courses can be placed in any order by anyone on any given day. I don't mean to stray too off topic on here though. I can't wait to be back at Bandon this fall!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BG5 said:

My last trip was in June and I was there for 8 days......It was simply fantastic but also very expensive as you are paying peak price.....any thoughts or suggestions about what time to go in off season......the prices are so low in December its very tempting but I am sure you are risking rain.  I hate rain but would be willing to roll the dice and if it rains all day I would just go to the bar 🙂  Any other times in off season that are great?

I'll be there this December for 7 nights before XMas - 5 nights with a group and 2 on my own. When I set up my own deal Reservations told me "December is often times Bandon's best kept secret" and there's not as much rain as people expect.

Regardless if it rains 8 straight days or not, you can't beat the price point and I can't wait to get there.

I personally think the Inn is the best spot on the property. Easy walking distance to the main lodge/McKees and very easy to get up to the Preserve/Trails. As you said, especially for the price.

• Like 3

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

20 hours ago, roadtripper said:

Hey all.

You are other thinking this. We played as 2 3somes when I was there, so I got paired with singles on every round. I play to a 14 right now, but was up around 16 at the time. I didnt play anywhere close to my best golf while I was there. We played with guys that were good sticks, and guys that were... um... not. 

As others have said, just keep your pace of play, dont make any major etiquette breaches, and be enjoyable to be around. You'll have a blast.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

18 hours ago, mci711 said:

<throws object>

Counterpoint: I'll take The Preserve and The Punchbowl over SV/MD 

Edited by eboettne

On 8/11/2021 at 5:31 PM, roadtripper said:

Hey all.

Definitely overthinking it. Don't let scores dictate whether you can attend a resort course. In my trips there I've played with many guys with handicaps in the teens, if not twenties. If you enjoy golf and enjoy the journey of getting there you'll love it and be fine. Just keep up, make good conversation and enjoy the views.

Just a heads up for folks going soon: https://cooshealthandwellness.org/psa-public-health-advisory/

The resort is going back to mandatory face coverings - as is the whole state - but looks like capacity limits are only advisory at the moment.

F.T.

One week out. Trip pushed from August 2020 to 8/20/21. So looking forward  to it.

Any last minute suggestions?

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

On 8/11/2021 at 3:31 PM, roadtripper said:

Hey all.

You are over thinking of it. I go with different groups all the time. We have plenty of 20+ caps that come play. The courses are actually pretty wide open and don't force you too often into having to hit certain shots (you typically have a few options on how to play the hole). It is rare there is a forced carry or a need for a hero shot. I don't find the courses easy - it is very rare I shoot my cap, but the courses do not punish you if you can't hit a certain shot. 

Having said all that as an 11 you will fit right in with most of the golfers I have seen there. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

Thanks for all your input and "confidence".

I am pretty comfortable with my game as a whole, its just that whole driver into the wind thing..., but I can (usually) hit a 3i stinger about 220, and a fairly low 3w, so I may be using them off the tee often.  Adapt and adjust, or vice versa.

As you all have recommended, I have no problem keeping up with pace, and I feel that I am a good conversationalist.

Gave my buds until Sept 1 for a final decision on going, then I pull the trigger as a solo.

Gave them the following initial itinerary.  Would like some input if changes should be made:

Day 1 - Fly in (PM Flight, stay off site)

Day 2 - Range, Preserve, BD

Day 3 - OM / PD

Day 4 - SR / open

Day 5 - BD / BT

Day 6 - PD / fly home (red eye)

Wanted to play BD and PD in both am and pm to see the differences.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, roadtripper said:

Thanks for all your input and "confidence".

I am pretty comfortable with my game as a whole, its just that whole driver into the wind thing..., but I can (usually) hit a 3i stinger about 220, and a fairly low 3w, so I may be using them off the tee often.  Adapt and adjust, or vice versa.

As you all have recommended, I have no problem keeping up with pace, and I feel that I am a good conversationalist.

Gave my buds until Sept 1 for a final decision on going, then I pull the trigger as a solo.

Gave them the following initial itinerary.  Would like some input if changes should be made:

Day 1 - Fly in (PM Flight, stay off site)

Day 2 - Range, Preserve, BD

Day 3 - OM / PD

Day 4 - SR / open

Day 5 - BD / BT

Day 6 - PD / fly home (red eye)

Wanted to play BD and PD in both am and pm to see the differences.

Perfect. Don't change a thing. Leave it as that and enjoy!

Ignore anyone saying otherwise, we all have different preferences. Actually just delete it and pretend you never asked.

The only way to figure out what's best for you is to get that first trip under your belt and 8 proper rounds + preserve is a great way to do exactly that.

• Like 1

F.T.

2 hours ago, duffer987 said:

Perfect. Don't change a thing. Leave it as that and enjoy!

Ignore anyone saying otherwise, we all have different preferences. Actually just delete it and pretend you never asked.

The only way to figure out what's best for you is to get that first trip under your belt and 8 proper rounds + preserve is a great way to do exactly that.

+1

That's a perfect first trip schedule

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

1 hour ago, Edaw68 said:

You can probably handle the greens but if it’s windy golds might be more fun, especially into the wind.

Thanks, may go gold to make life easier for myself. On the positive, I am generally a low ball hitter and trying to fix that, but sounds like my low shots will be beneficial at Bandon. 

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks, may go gold to make life easier for myself. On the positive, I am generally a low ball hitter and trying to fix that, but sounds like my low shots will be beneficial at Bandon. 

Your avg distance is greens all day long. Golds are much too short for anyone getting 230-240 outta their teeball IMHO.

You'll hit some bombs with the wind and against it will have some holes that stretch the ability to GIR them - that's all part of the fun.

• Like 3

F.T.

I generally hit around 220 and played the gold.  And, enjoyed it.  But the wind makes a big difference.  I remember a 315 yard par 4 against the wind that I hit driver and hybrid to get to the green.  Another hole was a 500 yard downwind par 5 that I hit the same clubs and was on the green in 2.  I hit a relatively high ball and really struggle against the wind especially since I'm not used to it.