2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

Has anyone been getting random Bandon reservation confirmation update emails the past few months?

Maybe it's having 3 trips on the books, but yesterday was the second time in the last little while, getting an update to a trip way off in the distance (Nov '22), so not the normal month out one about making dinner reservations and the like.

Obviously no big deal, just curious.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

6 hours ago, duffer987 said:

Has anyone been getting random Bandon reservation confirmation update emails the past few months?

Maybe it's having 3 trips on the books, but yesterday was the second time in the last little while, getting an update to a trip way off in the distance (Nov '22), so not the normal month out one about making dinner reservations and the like.

Obviously no big deal, just curious.

I also received a confirmation email a couple of days ago for my fall 2022 trip, which was odd because I haven't made any changes to it.

• Like 1

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

On 8/12/2021 at 8:39 AM, BG5 said:

My last trip was in June and I was there for 8 days......It was simply fantastic but also very expensive as you are paying peak price.....any thoughts or suggestions about what time to go in off season......the prices are so low in December its very tempting but I am sure you are risking rain.  I hate rain but would be willing to roll the dice and if it rains all day I would just go to the bar 🙂  Any other times in off season that are great?

February can be a great time.  Lower rates and a good chance of several dry days.  We were there late Feb 2020, 3.5 of the 4 days were fine, sunny even.  The morning of 1 day was 30+mph wind and sideways rain.  Been in Feb a few other times and same story, temps in 50s and 60s and dry for the most part.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 6:45 AM, BeefWellington said:

Does the resort sell lighters for cigars?  I can't bring my torch.  Can you pack cigarette lighters on planes?

It seems like I remember the pro shops having way more selection on clothing and hats etc than the online store.  Is that still the case?  It will be hard to reign in my spending.

I believe the resort sells lighters. I also found that many caddies carried lighters. FWIW, I put a disposable lighter in my checked bag. The TSA website seems to have a run on sentence that makes it tough to distinguish a difference between disposable lighters and "Zippo lighters without fuel". I figured, if the TSA found my disposable lighter and threw it out, no loss to me.

The pro shops have WAY more merch than the online store. There is a ton of cool stuff that you can get on site that you cant get online. Also, keep in mind that each course shop has different items. So if you see something you want at Sheep Ranch, get it while you're there. You may or may not find it at the main pro shop. Also, you dont really wanna be going all the way back out to SR to pickup the cool driver headcover you didnt buy while you were on site.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:07 AM, mci711 said:

"Book massage" 

Did I miss something new at Bandon? I assume this is off the property?

I actually read it as book massage, the first time. I was like... who wants to get a massage with a book?  😂 Yeah, I'm a dummy.

• Haha 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

36 minutes ago, blink3665 said:

The pro shops have WAY more merch than the online store. There is a ton of cool stuff that you can get on site that you cant get online. Also, keep in mind that each course shop has different items. So if you see something you want at Sheep Ranch, get it while you're there. You may or may not find it at the main pro shop. Also, you dont really wanna be going all the way back out to SR to pickup the cool driver headcover you didnt buy while you were on site.

Worth noting that each of the pro-shops usually has a decent rack of 50% off clothing items.

• Like 2

I love and hate this thread so much. Scratches the Bandon itch just reading about it. But over time only makes the itch that much worse, and it’s now in that spot I just can’t quite reach. 

As psyched as I am for my Scotland trip next month, I know it means at least another year until I can return to Bandon (unless my wife kicks me out before then). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It entirely depends on who's in front of you, and the weather.  You could bang it out in 2hrs or less.  We've brought headlamps with us and played into the dark.  Like pitch black.  🙂

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

2 hours ago, rouges1922 said:

Just curious, what the pace of play is generally on the Preserve? Trying to decide how long before sunset is a sufficient amount of time to schedule it on our arrival day this coming February.

+1 on buzlin's comments.

They let large groups go out together, so if you get behind one of those, you could be in for a long session.  I've made it around there solo in a little under 1.5 hrs, so that should give you some idea of what you could do.

Mornings are better if you want some serenity, evenings can get frat-party-like.  Similar to the Punchbowl.

Some of the holes are kinda close to each other, so if you get near one of those big groups and there is alcohol involved, keep your wits about you; balls can easily come flying your way.  They usually have a couple marshals out there on the busy evenings, and they will sometimes suggest you skip around.  Best to take their recommendations.

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I'd have to say this is the best Bandon thread I've seen on the internet.  Plus, it's so old it almost acts as a historical record 😆

I do remember being there last time and thinking I'd get stuff later in the trip but as the weekend got close the items in shops were picked over or gone.  My plan is to buy stuff when I see it.  Also, don't the caddies keep all gear you don't need off the course for you to pick up after your round?  Seems like I remember that so they could keep items purchased there.

Any estimates on costs of laundry service?  It would be nice to be able to cut down on clothing items to bring since I could wash them.  I'm not sure how the massage service will be there, but seems like a nice idea.

I'm hoping the jacuzzi/sauna etc is open as we never did that last time.

My game is in peak condition this year, so I'm hoping that I can have one or two really solid rounds.  But Bandon and that wind is a different beast, and it's not like I can practice rolling hybrids/putters 100 plus yards in Arizona!

I'm hoping that the caddies will offset trying to figure out ground lines and judging winds.

I already had my planned trip to Kiawah get snatched out from under me as the week we were going in March was the week they cancelled all flights due to COVID.  To say I'm anxious to just get there is an understatement. 

One thing for sure though-my clubs will be there as they left yesterday.

I remain, impatiently waiting.....😬

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, srs06d said:

Played Preserve on our arrival day back in March. We teed of at 5:10 and putted out in the dark on 13 with a 7:30 sunset. Caught up with a 6-some around 9 but weren't in any rush. More time to enjoy the views and a couple beers. Probably would have finished closer to 7 if we passed them. Here is picture of #9 around 6:50 for reference:

401654571_Preserve9.JPEG.080f7ef09643c9c07284a00903a22269.JPEG

These types of afternoons are what makes that course so special.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeefWellington said:

I'd have to say this is the best Bandon thread I've seen on the internet.  Plus, it's so old it almost acts as a historical record 😆

I do remember being there last time and thinking I'd get stuff later in the trip but as the weekend got close the items in shops were picked over or gone.  My plan is to buy stuff when I see it.  Also, don't the caddies keep all gear you don't need off the course for you to pick up after your round?  Seems like I remember that so they could keep items purchased there.

Any estimates on costs of laundry service?  It would be nice to be able to cut down on clothing items to bring since I could wash them.  I'm not sure how the massage service will be there, but seems like a nice idea.

I'm hoping the jacuzzi/sauna etc is open as we never did that last time.

My game is in peak condition this year, so I'm hoping that I can have one or two really solid rounds.  But Bandon and that wind is a different beast, and it's not like I can practice rolling hybrids/putters 100 plus yards in Arizona!

I'm hoping that the caddies will offset trying to figure out ground lines and judging winds.

I already had my planned trip to Kiawah get snatched out from under me as the week we were going in March was the week they cancelled all flights due to COVID.  To say I'm anxious to just get there is an understatement. 

One thing for sure though-my clubs will be there as they left yesterday.

I remain, impatiently waiting.....😬

Caddies are just there to sling your bag and do caddy stuff - maybe you meant the concierge at each course? Typically hanging out at the shuttle stop/shelter depending on the course.

They absolutely will mind your extra bits while you play - if say you buy a couple things or have extra clubs you don't want to lug around - and make sure clubs make it to the tee the following day if you want to go that route as well.

How long are you there for? LOL. We do 5 day (well 4.5 day) trips each year and can pack everything in to a single bag + golfbag/golf travel bag combo easy enough. That said, don't know what it costs, but it's same day service, so leave it at reception when you start the day and have it back by dinner.

Edited by duffer987

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Spoiler

607295FF-883E-4523-AA2A-6B6386249CE7.jpeg

Bandon Dunes 8/21/21

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Good Luck dlow206!  It's a great track.  More than one unforgettable holes.

I leave tomorrow and my clubs are already there.  How's the weather looking for anyone up there the last couple days?

I'm trying to decide how many balls I really need to bring.  I know the caddies will only take a handful as they are heavy.  I think I packed roughly 20 balls or so, but I don't wanna be in a situation where I have to purchase balls there.

I am an 8.7 hcp as a reference.  Any ideas?  I'd likely only bring 3-6 more in my luggage if you think I should.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 3:07 PM, blink3665 said:

I believe the resort sells lighters. I also found that many caddies carried lighters. FWIW, I put a disposable lighter in my checked bag. The TSA website seems to have a run on sentence that makes it tough to distinguish a difference between disposable lighters and "Zippo lighters without fuel". I figured, if the TSA found my disposable lighter and threw it out, no loss to me.

I actually read it as book massage, the first time. I was like... who wants to get a massage with a book?  😂 Yeah, I'm a dummy.

Previously the course did not sell lighters but they have those packs of solid stick matches every where you turn. The matches work better in the wind and rain believe it or not. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

A single digit can go a week with a dozen balls without much trouble.  20 is for sure more than you'll need.

I mean, it's never bad to have extras, but on our trip last November I was probably a 12 or a 13 and I played the first 68 holes with the same ball. (My group named him "Kirkie" because it was a K-sig.) Wasn't intending to or anything, just played the first 18 with the same one and decided to keep going for the hell of it. Then I hit a murder hook into the gorse on #15 at Pacific in our last round. So close! My original red Sharpie dots were pink by that point.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:57 PM, rouges1922 said:

Just curious, what the pace of play is generally on the Preserve? Trying to decide how long before sunset is a sufficient amount of time to schedule it on our arrival day this coming February.

The preserve is best played without pace in mind. you can get behind a 12some. To be honest it more like hanging out at really cool pub, with the worlds greatest views then playing golf to me. 

On 8/29/2021 at 7:48 PM, ExposFan said:

I mean, it's never bad to have extras, but on our trip last November I was probably a 12 or a 13 and I played the first 68 holes with the same ball. (My group named him "Kirkie" because it was a K-sig.) Wasn't intending to or anything, just played the first 18 with the same one and decided to keep going for the hell of it. Then I hit a murder hook into the gorse on #15 at Pacific in our last round. So close! My original red Sharpie dots were pink by that point.

It is truly pretty hard to lose a ball there, out side of pumping one onto the beach on a few holes. Having said that if you are ball hawk you find plenty in the gorse. 

Most trips I come home with more balls than I left with. I am not even a ball hawk and give away found balls - so I am not looking very hard.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ALTSean said:

If the Preserve is your 2nd round of the day, is it half off or is it always full price?

Preserve is always full price, as it's a fund-raising effort for the Rivers Alliance in the area.  Unless it's your third round, then it's free.

There is, however, a question about whether playing the Preserve as your first round of the day merits a half-price round on one of the big courses immediately following.  There are those on this board who say they have gotten that allowance, others who say they have been refused.  Haven't tried it myself, though our next trip in March will allow us the chance to ask, as we're playing the Preserve in the morning before OM on our second day.

Personally, I'd be surprised if that is true, but I don't discount that others may have been able to pull that off.

Edited by spud3
  • Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

1 hour ago, spud3 said:

Preserve is always full price, as it's a fund-raising effort for the Rivers Alliance in the area.  Unless it's your third round, then it's free.

There is, however, a question about whether playing the Preserve as your first round of the day merits a half-price round on one of the big courses immediately following.  There are those on this board who say they have gotten that allowance, others who say they have been refused.  Haven't tried it myself, though our next trip in March will allow us the chance to ask, as we're playing the Preserve in the morning before OM on our second day.

Personally, I'd be surprised if that is true, but I don't discount that others may have been able to pull that off.

Thanks for the info!

Is the Preserve green fee good for multiple rounds the same day (like The Cradle at Pinehurst) or is it a one and done thing?