Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

3 hours ago, miss0033 said:

Random question here.  My wife has agreed to make Bandon part of a bigger West Coast road trip.  She wants to play the Preserve (will usually play executive 9s/par 3 courses with me, but not much else), and then walk with me on either Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, or Sheep Ranch.  Planning to come back later to play the other courses.  Will be stopping for 2 nights, and for sure Preserve and one full round, hoping for a 2nd the next day but might not be able to.

Can she just walk with me and pay a small "Trail Fee" or something?  Or do we have to pay the full rack rate for her to join?  Could I essentially call her my caddy, even though I wouldn't make her carry my clubs?  She really just wants to enjoy the views.  Hoping to play the OG Bandon Dunes, and come back in 2023 with some buddies on a bigger trip.

Lotsa guys bring their SO's to walk the course with them.  No fee or questions or hassle of any kind.  They are very welcoming there.

If she wants some actual trails, there is an extensive trail system at the resort.

• Like 4

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

On 10/13/2021 at 9:28 PM, miss0033 said:

Random question here.  My wife has agreed to make Bandon part of a bigger West Coast road trip.  She wants to play the Preserve (will usually play executive 9s/par 3 courses with me, but not much else), and then walk with me on either Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, or Sheep Ranch.  Planning to come back later to play the other courses.  Will be stopping for 2 nights, and for sure Preserve and one full round, hoping for a 2nd the next day but might not be able to.

Can she just walk with me and pay a small "Trail Fee" or something?  Or do we have to pay the full rack rate for her to join?  Could I essentially call her my caddy, even though I wouldn't make her carry my clubs?  She really just wants to enjoy the views.  Hoping to play the OG Bandon Dunes, and come back in 2023 with some buddies on a bigger trip.

I know the $100 is a strict donation to charity for each player. I am almost positive that there would be no issue with her simply walking along. Its worth the walk and in my opinion one of the best courses on property.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 8:28 PM, miss0033 said:

When I used to caddy there, walkalongs like your case were reasonably common and I don't think I ever heard of anybody paying for it. I'd definitely double check but I don't remember it ever being an issue

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

4 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

Spouses are allowed to walk along for no cost, my wife has done this several times. Also since they are guests (I assume your wife is staying with you) they have free use of the practice facility or the punchbowl as well. 

Bingo - my non-golfing wife went with me and walked all courses except for OM. She kept saying how everyone was being so friendly to her, not making her feel "out of place". There were a couple SO's in my groups during our trip. Add it to the infinite list of what makes BD so special.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys.  Haven't even thought of the Punchbowl!  Yeah she is staying with me.  

We've had a small number of courses in the past make a deal over it - however they have typically been cart only courses who don't want 3 carts in a group and also want to be able to sell the 4th spot in a group kind of thing.  It seems to happen on weekends at a few upscale resorts - IE Grandover in Greensboro, NC.  Not a big deal, we paid it and move on.  Just want to make sure we aren't having to pay $300 for her to walk whether she plays or not. Thanks for calming our fears.

No matter what I say or do, she always feels like she is "in the way."  Having to have people stop at the ladies tee, and then being the next one to hit again because she usually doesn't clear other drives.  She just very nervous, anxious, and uncomfortable.  So Par 3s and Executive courses, she enjoys.  But courses with long Par 4s and Par 5s, she'd rather just enjoy the view.  It doesn't help when we've been paired up with guys who just continually walk/drive right past the ladies tees even after 8 or 9 holes into the round.

14 minutes ago, miss0033 said:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys.  Haven't even thought of the Punchbowl!  Yeah she is staying with me.  

We've had a small number of courses in the past make a deal over it - however they have typically been cart only courses who don't want 3 carts in a group and also want to be able to sell the 4th spot in a group kind of thing.  It seems to happen on weekends at a few upscale resorts - IE Grandover in Greensboro, NC.  Not a big deal, we paid it and move on.  Just want to make sure we aren't having to pay $300 for her to walk whether she plays or not. Thanks for calming our fears.

No matter what I say or do, she always feels like she is "in the way."  Having to have people stop at the ladies tee, and then being the next one to hit again because she usually doesn't clear other drives.  She just very nervous, anxious, and uncomfortable.  So Par 3s and Executive courses, she enjoys.  But courses with long Par 4s and Par 5s, she'd rather just enjoy the view.  It doesn't help when we've been paired up with guys who just continually walk/drive right past the ladies tees even after 8 or 9 holes into the round.

Sounds like the Preserve or Shortys is perfect for her. Much more laid back.

I’ve also seen women (or older men, basically any short hitter) play from the all the way up tees. (Royal blue?) With walking only courses no worry about guys in carts driving past. 

I think you'll find a very different vibe at Bandon with regards to walk-along spouse.  I've been in lots of groups there where a player has had their wife/GF along and every single time it's really been a pleasant experience for everyone.  I think she (and you) will enjoy it immensely. 99% of the folks who go to Bandon are just thrilled to be there - there isn't the feeling that she's going to be an extra wheel or anything like that.

As Edaw just posted, one thing to keep in mind is that there are far-forward (blue) tees on all the big courses, so if you can talk her into playing a few holes, chances are fair that you'll be able to go out solo (late in the afternoon is your best bet).  You'll pay full rate, even if you just do 8 or 9 holes, but if she plays at all, it could be a really cool couples moment for you, especially if you hit a sunset.

Yeah, sue me, I'm a romantic.....

• Haha 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

2 hours ago, aiyyer said:

Any experience with Bandon weather in November? Going with a group 2nd week gif give days.

Daily chance of rain, high 40s to high 50s, could get colder could get warmer. Not much different than the rest of the year, at least the rest of the non summer months. To me anytime you go between October/Marchish you're going to get similar outcome. On average it is the warmest winter season month, but the averages month to month are hardly different - it is rainier though in the winter. That is the biggest difference between the winter and summer months and I think why they discount rates. I think it is a great time to go because you can get really good weather and the rates are awesome too. 

Edited by mci711
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aiyyer said:

Any experience with Bandon weather in November? Going with a group 2nd week gif give days.

The two times I've been were both in November, and from what I'm told I lucked out both times. Temps were generally in the 50s and 60s and were extremely mild and pleasant. Both trips I felt like I overpacked cold weather clothing and one year felt like we were roasting because it was so warm and sunny. I don't think I ever saw less than 50* and even then with walking and carrying it's perfectly comfortable. Only 1 of the days I've been there did I see rain and it was just a sprinkling, but the group I go with has been pounded in the past. It's hit or miss.

• Like 1

My wife drove the first green on Trails from the forward tees and had a blast (eagle putt came up 6 inches short). She is similar that she does not want to get in the way and feels self conscious but as others have stated, Bandon has a much more laid back vibe. Sometimes she plays (if the weather is right,) other times she chills with a good book and a cup of tea. We have been to several top resorts and Bandon just does not have that snob feel that some do. The fact that they do not are if there are walkers along, tells you how different they are. 

• Like 3

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

On 10/18/2021 at 4:53 AM, aiyyer said:

Chance of:

Wind and/or

Rain and/or

Sun and/or

Fog and/or

Heat and/or

Cold

Joking aside winter months 50-65 any given day. Less fog than the summer months. It is rare to have an awful day weather wise and even more rare for that to happen back to back.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, aiyyer said:

Been twice in November and have had one nasty day in 8. I am there the 7th thru the 11th. Only bummer is its the day after the daylight change so it gets dark early but the rates are pretty attractive. I will have pants, shorts and rain gear and will probably use/need all 3

3 hours ago, Serenity Now said:

Been twice in November and have had one nasty day in 8. I am there the 7th thru the 11th. Only bummer is its the day after the daylight change so it gets dark early but the rates are pretty attractive. I will have pants, shorts and rain gear and will probably use/need all 3

Great - will be there 8-12. Guess will have to be prepared for anything. Biggest issue is trying to decide between a Jones bag without a hood or play it safe with a Stadry Titleist stand bag!

On 10/11/2021 at 12:22 AM, duffer987 said:

Do we know this already? I stumbled upon it while looking for something else and I don't remember it as such.

Keiser's want to redo the Bandon Beach Hotel, out by Coquille Point.

https://www.cityofbandon.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/general/meeting/10334/record_1_decision_and_appeal.pdf

Well $hit. Was planning on booking soon for my stay in February, checked the site yesterday for prices and when I looked at night it was down and gone. Was really looking forward to staying there, we had an AirBnB near there last time and the the setting was amazing.

3 hours ago, VNutz said:

Well $hit. Was planning on booking soon for my stay in February, checked the site yesterday for prices and when I looked at night it was down and gone. Was really looking forward to staying there, we had an AirBnB near there last time and the the setting was amazing.

Ya with how relatively cheap things are there, it makes sense for them to buy it and refurb it - as you say with that location. They'll get the Hwy 1 crowd for sure and could easily make it an offsite resort location for booking teetimes as if you're at the resort, or at least a longer window than non-guests.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

6 minutes ago, duffer987 said:

Ya with how relatively cheap things are there, it makes sense for them to buy it and refurb it - as you say with that location. They'll get the Hwy 1 crowd for sure and could easily make it an offsite resort location for booking teetimes as if you're at the resort, or at least a longer window than non-guests.

No brainer for them as they need more accommodation. Likely they will have a regular shuttle too.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Wedge-Easy-Access-Cover/dp/B000BT7E8Q/ref=asc_df_B000BT7E8Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312090062109&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=34097011694223105&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031519&hvtargid=pla-451241333415&psc=1

The best $20 any golfer who goes to Bandon will ever spend. Fits on any type of bag and way better than zipping on and zipping off every hole. Bet part is, when the rain stops, you can fold it up and stuff it in side pocket

^Going to call and raise 😉

https://seaforthraingear.com/shop/ols/products/seaforth-rain-gear-rain-hood

That said, the one that comes with the Players4 actually works pretty good IMHO.

Edited by duffer987

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:53 AM, aiyyer said:

Here’s the way I look at it (after 8+ Nov trips) which are almost always 3 day trips. 

You will get 1 crappy day, 1 average day and 1 awesome day.

Crappy means raining all day and windy but not unplayable bad. Only had 2 of those in Nov. Low 40’s steady 45+ mph winds and over an inch of rain forecasted. One of them woke up and the practice putter at Bandon Dunes had over 1/2” of standing water in most of it. Those days are rare but the do happen. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spud3 said:

My only concern about a hood like that would be when the wind is up.  Have you tried those out in a stiff Bandon breeze (i.e., 20+ mph)?

Thinking about the times when the rain is blowing sideways...

I have been there when it blew 40 and your bag had to be laid down. The key is to keep hood downwind. It straps onto your bag so its not going anywhere but it may go full on Sister Bertrille (f you are over 50, you get it) on you if you stand it up facing a gale force wind. If it is blowing 40, all bets are off and you are going to be soaked no matter what kind of rain gear you have on.

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2021 at 2:29 PM, duffer987 said:

^Going to call and raise 😉

https://seaforthraingear.com/shop/ols/products/seaforth-rain-gear-rain-hood

That said, the one that comes with the Players4 actually works pretty good IMHO.

2 things:

1) You can't call and then raise. That is a string bet. 🤣 (Sorry, I couldnt help myself.)

2) You can push 'all-in' with that Seaforth hood. I love mine. I have had it for MANY seasons here in the PNW. While I can't say for sure how it will handle rain AND wind at a wide open course like Bandon, I can say that it has kept my clubs relatively dry with moderate 25 mph gusts (and heavy rain).

Here is a blurb from Seaforth's website:

"Keep your golf clubs dry in the wettest weather.

The Seaforth Golf Bag Rain Hood has been the #1 rain hood on professional golf tours for over 20 years!  Darrell Surveys have confirmed that over 90% of the players on the PGA Tour and the LPGA Tour choose the Seaforth Rain Hood to protect their clubs and grips while playing in rainy conditions.  Seaforth has been the choice of the last several Solheim Cup teams, Ryder Cup teams, and Presidents Cup teams.  The Seaforth Rain Hood is in the golf bags of touring pros around the world, so why not add it to yours?  It's designed to fit most bags on the market - carry bag or cart bag - and it goes on so quickly and easily no wonder the pros and their caddies love it! "

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

1 hour ago, Serenity Now said:

I have been there when it blew 40 and your bag had to be laid down. The key is to keep hood downwind. It straps onto your bag so its not going anywhere but it may go full on Sister Bertrille (f you are over 50, you get it) on you if you stand it up facing a gale force wind. If it is blowing 40, all bets are off and you are going to be soaked no matter what kind of rain gear you have on.

Only had one of those days. Wicked rain and super high winds. I was soaked and the rain felt like bullets hitting my face. My buddy and I were the only one dumb enough to go out that day amongst all the hard corse Bandon golfers. It was fun to say we did it - but I would not try it again.