Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

^Definitely Chambers - I am a fan and would actually have it 4th (of 6) in a bizarro world where it was one of the Bandon courses.

The new OM cam is really good - both the presets and the quality of the cam. Get a great look at SR #7, tough back right flag today, just asking for folks to get greedy and go off the back:

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/course-cameras/old-macdonald-course-camera

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

2 hours ago, CDM said:

Could hit up Chambers Bay on way down from Seattle.  

I have played CB three times and my buddies are on the fence.....Remember, we are talking about land-locked prairie boys here (myself included)...a very scenic ride along the Oregon coast might bring some foreshadowing of what we will experience for the five days that we will be golfing along the coast. 

T minus 27 days until tee off.......

2 hours ago, CDM said:

Could hit up Chambers Bay on way down from Seattle.  

Just as a follow up, I do have a tee time booked at CB for the morning that we are scheduled to leave Seattle.  With the 48 hour cancellation policy, I am hedging our options.  A nice forecast combined with a possible change of heart for my buddies might make for a morning round at Chambers bay and an mid to late evening ride into Coos Bay..... 

4 hours ago, T2GRNN2 said:

This is perfect....our golf group is driving from Alberta, Canada to Seattle, and then on to Bandon next month.  We were on the fence as to whether to golf somewhere on our way from Seattle to Bandon, and for these four inland souls, this post may have given us reason to save our golf for Bandon.  Thank you! 

Chambers in late November can be a bit dicey - but it is great course to play to get you in the Bandon spirit. Not sure what you travel plans are, but that is a long road trip, the coast portion of the drive is amazing, but also can add some significant time to the trip.

10 minutes ago, T2GRNN2 said:

Just as a follow up, I do have a tee time booked at CB for the morning that we are scheduled to leave Seattle.  With the 48 hour cancellation policy, I am hedging our options.  A nice forecast combined with a possible change of heart for my buddies might make for a morning round at Chambers bay and an mid to late evening ride into Coos Bay..... 

I am assuming you guys are young. Chamber is a good walk, and then you are looking at 7 hours sitting in a car. Make sure you stretch you legs a few times. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Booked in for late April 2022, and wondering who has experience of the weather in Bandon at that time?

Been twice in late April. There are more Bandon trip reports on this board than you can imagine, many with detailed weather discussions. 

TLDR - Never had a drop of rain and little wind about 2/3 of my days there. It's Spring, so the prevailing wind is shifting from S to N. You could get either. But it can blow HARD (had a couple days of 25-35mph sustained). Really anything is on the table that time of year (or any time on the Southern Oregon coast). In my opinion, April is the best balance of reasonable rates and likelihood of good weather.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Booked in for late April 2022, and wondering who has experience of the weather in Bandon at that time?

I was there in April my last time.

4 days of the best golfing weather you could ask for. Highs in the low 60's and not much wind when we were there.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

4 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I am assuming you guys are young. Chamber is a good walk, and then you are looking at 7 hours sitting in a car. Make sure you stretch you legs a few times. 

2bGood has put the nail in the coffin on CB for this trip.  Two guys in their early 50's (I am one) and two guys in the their early 60's.  I am used to walking, but the other three mostly ride.  They are in good shape, but they prefer to ride for various reasons.  CB followed by 7 hours in a vehicle the day before 5 days at Bandon is not the wisest of choices.

We may have an in at a great track in the PDX area, and if it works great.  If not, to the coast for a leisurely drive from Lincoln to Coos Bay.  Our bucket list starts to get items checked off early the next morning..... 

For any Canadians struggling with the logistics of the covid test to come home, there is now a DIY testing option that you can do wherever you are staying for your Bandon trip.

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

One less thing to worry about in the already painful logistics of getting to/from Bandon from Canada.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, T2GRNN2 said:

2bGood has put the nail in the coffin on CB for this trip.  Two guys in their early 50's (I am one) and two guys in the their early 60's.  I am used to walking, but the other three mostly ride.  They are in good shape, but they prefer to ride for various reasons.  CB followed by 7 hours in a vehicle the day before 5 days at Bandon is not the wisest of choices.

We may have an in at a great track in the PDX area, and if it works great.  If not, to the coast for a leisurely drive from Lincoln to Coos Bay.  Our bucket list starts to get items checked off early the next morning..... 

Should try to get on Witch at Pumpkin Ridge in the PDX metro, although it doesn't play the best in the Winter.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

21 hours ago, T2GRNN2 said:

If you are driving the coast look at Gearhart Golf links or one of the Florence courses (I prefer what used to be called Sandpines). 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 5:00 PM, mci711 said:

Got some of the worst, non-death, related news in awhile today. Was supposed to be at Bandon a month from today. My wife ended up tearing multiple ligaments and tendons in her foot and ankle. Back to back years we have had to cancel. I got rescheduled for the same time next year but it wasn't easy. Have 1 non finish tee time as of now. She is really bummed out. May have caught her at a vulnerable time so she agreed to book Sand Valley while we are at it and going to call Cabot and see if they have anything. I guess long term it may work out because she wants to go big when healthy, just sucks to go back to back years having to reschedule. Feel terrible for her. 3 elbow surgeries 2 hip surgeries now this all since her college golf days. 

Tough break, no pun intended. But if you can turn that into a trip to Cabot that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just need some patience.

50 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Yes, we have Cabot now booked for 4 days over Memorial Day weekend. Bandon booked in the Fall. 2022 will be a good year! 🤞

Throw in a trip to Sand Valley and you'll have the Keiser-slam!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Throw in a trip to Sand Valley and you'll have the Keiser-slam!

That is the plan. We lived in Chicago and have gone a few times already but want to go back. They also had times/rooms memorial day weekend. We opted for Cabot at that time. Going to check back for some times in August. 

On 10/27/2021 at 2:29 PM, Chanceman said:

my best trip to Bandon was in April. Lots and lots of sunscreen! (even if its cloudy)

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

1 hour ago, wtoomey said:

So here is a random question: Anyone know where the water trucks that were used for “Original” Sheep Ranch are?

Man, that old fire truck they used to pump water to irrigate the greens at the original Sheep Ranch was a pretty rusted out hulk years ago when it was in use.  Can't imagine that thing is anywhere else but a scrap heap!

6 hours ago, wtoomey said:

So here is a random question: Anyone know where the water trucks that were used for “Original” Sheep Ranch are?

Good question. I mean they put it on their t-shirts in the gift shop - think they should have turned it into a planter and sunk it into the ground somewhere. Sent them a tweet, they're usually pretty good at getting back, so let's see.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

My apologies if this has come up already, but in the GD "Every Hole at Pacific Dunes" video on YouTube, the fly over for 15 (at 8:14) shows a fairway bunker that appears to be growing in with grass.  Have we discussed what's going on there?

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

I can't remember if it was somewhere in the thread or a group text with my buddies, but we saw that too.  Looks like they are getting rid of that bunker.  Look close and it looks like the deep bunker to the right of #14 is also being grassed in.  My only guess is to make it a little more forgiving to improve pace of play, as those are some spend all day in there bunkers.

Edited by Edaw68
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Edaw68 said:

I can't remember if it was somewhere in the thread or a group text with my buddies, but we saw that too.  Looks like they are getting rid of that bunker.  Look close and it looks like the deep bunker to the right of #14 is also being grassed in.  My only guess is to make it a little more forgiving to improve pace of play, as those are some spend all day in there bunkers.

Oh yeah!  Just went back to look at 14.  Hmmm.  I guess these changes are fine.  Not terrible, like what they did to 15 at BD!!!  🙂 

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

3 minutes ago, Edaw68 said:

Speaking of the course flyovers, if you look close at #13 at PD, as you scroll forward (IE fly the drone forward) you can see a couple guys walking up the hill to #14.  Just seems neat to me.

Interesting.  That is cool.  You can also see 14 bunker filled in, but the one on 15 hasn't been touched yet.  

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

6 hours ago, duffer987 said:

Good question. I mean they put it on their t-shirts in the gift shop - think they should have turned it into a planter and sunk it into the ground somewhere. Sent them a tweet, they're usually pretty good at getting back, so let's see.

My buddy runs the social media out there, glad they're doing a good job 🤣

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

2 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

I would guess it might be an issue with sand and erosion. I know they have issues keeping sand I. Some of those bunkers and maybe those are the worst? Potentially easier than redoing it every 4 months?