2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

4 hours ago, buzlin said:

Watching the Barstool guys playing Sheep Ranch reminded me about the unfinished feel of the course.  Beyond the turf being young, there seems to be a lot of dirt/undeveloped areas.  Almost like a construction site.  Do you guys think this effects your enjoyment from a visual perspective?  Anyone heard what, if anything they're doing for those areas (planting grasses/gorse)?  I don't know if they'll just naturally grow over over time.  On the other courses, those areas seem to well hidden by the gorse.

You need to approach any rounds at Sheep Ranch with an open mind for the time being. It's barely what, 18 months old now? Give it at least another year or two to grow in fully.

Yeah, there are some bare patches but they will grow in eventually. Even with the conditions the way they are right now it's a blast. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Watching the Barstool guys playing Sheep Ranch reminded me about the unfinished feel of the course.  Beyond the turf being young, there seems to be a lot of dirt/undeveloped areas.  Almost like a construction site.  Do you guys think this effects your enjoyment from a visual perspective?  Anyone heard what, if anything they're doing for those areas (planting grasses/gorse)?  I don't know if they'll just naturally grow over over time.  On the other courses, those areas seem to well hidden by the gorse.

No problems from the fairways - badum tish 😉

Seriously where is the dirt? There are some open areas (way left #2/way right #12, right #17, well right #4) like there are open areas on Pac or OM. Bandon's are better hidden by dunes or are dunes. But I didn't get any construction site vibe. They could spend the winter growing up Muirfield-esque rough, otherwise like the flat/featureless bits of Pac and OM, they are going to be flat/featureless.

They could have Pac'd it with blowout bunkers or OM'd it by moving a lot of dirt, but I like the openess, in that it gives it the exposed headlands feel that, as that is what the course is.

• Like 3

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I suppose it gives it a unique feel when compared to the others, a good thing in the scheme of things.  But, really?  No one else felt it was "unfinished".  Confirmation that I see things differently.  My wife will love hearing about this.  😉  I'll have to give it another look in a few months.  

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

I don’t disagree about SR.  I stopped in today inbetween rounds and heard a foursome remark about how easy it was playing…same thing I’ve experienced in the past (not playing on this trip).  The other courses at the resort can still present a challenge in benign conditions, whereas Sheep can’t.  The few times I’ve played it, it felt raw and forced.  I’m not so sure that being only 18 months old is an excuse for the turf or conditioning.  

The course has its place at the resort, and will provide anyone epic views, but for me it’s not a “good” golf course.  That said, that doesn’t mean it’s not fun. It’s borderline skippable for me, but the best part of Bandon is that everyone has a different favorite course or ranking.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graveydellic said:

I don’t disagree about SR.  I stopped in today inbetween rounds and heard a foursome remark about how easy it was playing…same thing I’ve experienced in the past (not playing on this trip).  The other courses at the resort can still present a challenge in benign conditions, whereas Sheep can’t.  The few times I’ve played it, it felt raw and forced.  I’m not so sure that being only 18 months old is an excuse for the turf or conditioning.  

The course has its place at the resort, and will provide anyone epic views, but for me it’s not a “good” golf course.  That said, that doesn’t mean it’s not fun. It’s borderline skippable for me, but the best part of Bandon is that everyone has a different favorite course or ranking.  

Define what a good golf course is and what it is about SR that doesn't make it good? 🙂

That aside from the shape it's in POV, I mean it needs to grow in still and the amount of traffic it receives while trying to do that absolutely impacts conditioning.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I suppose it gives it a unique feel when compared to the others, a good thing in the scheme of things.  But, really?  No one else felt it was "unfinished".  Confirmation that I see things differently.  My wife will love hearing about this.  😉  I'll have to give it another look in a few months.  

For sure it is still growing in and maturing - I don't think anyone would disagree with that. We cannot be giving the missus any more ammo 🙂

But I wasn't taking the p i s s - what dirt are you speaking of? I mentioned a few spots I could think of where there are open pieces of land, but I don't recall anything I felt was like a building site.

I remember playing OM two years after it opened and it's certainly matured and grown in, in the 9 years since.

Edited by duffer987

F.T.

Haha, I appreciate the support Duf.

I can't speak exactly, but there seemed to me to be raw dirt areas/patches scattered around the course that reminded me of my local muni (sacrilege!)  Then there is the natural erosion around the 11 and 18 greens, and along various other spots that look like calving, sloughing, slumping in geologic terms.  Again, I acknowledge these areas to be natural and not impacting play, but to me they do seem a tad rough.  Not like golf course rough like the blowouts on OM.   For instance, I do appreciate what they did on 16 at BD, where they "cleaned" up the waste area between the two fairways.

Perhaps my observations/impressions were inaccurate, or will change when I see SR again in April.  

• Like 1

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

Having played the old Sheep Ranch, I am going to be particularly interested in this new creation. The original paddock was rough as old bags. Just 13 greens positioned randomly and some barely mown fairways if you could call them that. Condition was never an issue then so I wont be too concerned about any flaws here and there.

Btw Still a couple of spots for April for anyone interested.

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a shuttle service that goes from Eugene to Bandon that isn't private? I am scheduled to go Jan. 14th to 19th. Because of some moving issues and incompetence by me I currently don't have a license. I don't know if I am going to have it straightened out before I go to rent a car. I am going solo. 

13 minutes ago, tjl48 said:

Does anyone know of a shuttle service that goes from Eugene to Bandon that isn't private? I am scheduled to go Jan. 14th to 19th. Because of some moving issues and incompetence by me I currently don't have a license. I don't know if I am going to have it straightened out before I go to rent a car. I am going solo. 

Greyhound from Eugene to Roseburg, then Coos County Area Transit bus from Roseburg to Coos Bay, taxi from Coos Bay to the resort.

Just put the finishing touches on booking our June 2023 trip. 4 nights at the Chrome Lake doubles and the following itinerary: 

3220C091-CD6D-4985-A9BC-7DCD15615403.png.b7d3f5d10c68dbafd89f9183ca6c7d50.png

I know I was a little late to the punch in booking but I couldn’t believe these four nights we got were the last 4 nights available for double rooms at the resort in June 2023. Additionally, trying to get a tee time on Pacific Dunes felt harder than trying to secure a tee time at Bethpage Black. Now comes the hard part: waiting 19 months. At least I have 70+ pages of this thread and a bunch more here to keep me company. 

Edited by italianstallion
Updated tee times
  • Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 9:55 PM, buzlin said:

Haha, I appreciate the support Duf.

I can't speak exactly, but there seemed to me to be raw dirt areas/patches scattered around the course that reminded me of my local muni (sacrilege!)  Then there is the natural erosion around the 11 and 18 greens, and along various other spots that look like calving, sloughing, slumping in geologic terms.  Again, I acknowledge these areas to be natural and not impacting play, but to me they do seem a tad rough.  Not like golf course rough like the blowouts on OM.   For instance, I do appreciate what they did on 16 at BD, where they "cleaned" up the waste area between the two fairways.

Perhaps my observations/impressions were inaccurate, or will change when I see SR again in April.  

Fair enough.

IMHO as long as they are not throwing nets down on a bunch of fairways - like what can occur on Pac/Trails - I'm just not bothered about what's happening off piste. You're playing too many country clubs maybe? 😉

It will be interesting to see how SR's conditions ebb and flow over the years, as a lot of it is a lot more exposed than on the other courses.

• Haha 1

F.T.

22 hours ago, duffer987 said:

Fair enough.

IMHO as long as they are not throwing nets down on a bunch of fairways - like what can occur on Pac/Trails - I'm just not bothered about what's happening off piste. You're playing too many country clubs maybe? 😉

It will be interesting to see how SR's conditions ebb and flow over the years, as a lot of it is a lot more exposed than on the other courses.

I wish!  Maybe I've been watching too much Masters and Players coverage. 

While I agree about what's in between holes isn't nearly as important, I do think a world class venue like Bandon will slowly be addressing those types of details.  Raw is one thing, tire tracks and dirt is another.  🙂  

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

On 12/20/2021 at 12:10 PM, italianstallion said:

Just put the finishing touches on booking our June 2023 trip. 4 nights at the Chrome Lake doubles and the following itinerary: 

3220C091-CD6D-4985-A9BC-7DCD15615403.png.b7d3f5d10c68dbafd89f9183ca6c7d50.png

I know I was a little late to the punch in booking but I couldn’t believe these four nights we got were the last 4 nights available for double rooms at the resort in June 2023. Additionally, trying to get a tee time on Pacific Dunes felt harder than trying to secure a tee time at Bethpage Black. Now comes the hard part: waiting 19 months. At least I have 70+ pages of this thread and a bunch more here to keep me company. 

Just last week finding 4 consecutive days of lodging (in a non $800+/Nt option) without changing rooms in July and August was proving difficult.  Found one stretch that worked in a Lilly Pond Room.  

Tee times I got:

Day 1 - Preserve 6:10pm

Day 2 - Old Mac - 8:00am

Day 2 - Bandon Trails - 1:40pm

Day 3 - Bandon Dunes - 9:10am

Day 3 - Sheep Ranch - 3:10pm

Day 4 - Pacific Dunes - 7:50am

Day 4 - Bandon Dunes - 12:50pm

Day 4 - Preserve - 6:15 pm

The 2 hardest walks (i am told) on the first day might not be so great.  Also wanted a Pacific replay, but this is what we got.  Excited to be going in mid August 2023... gawd that is so far away...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Strange questions - can you arrange a welcome gift for someone going to Bandon? I have friend going for the first time next month. 

( I could just call the course, but they seem to be pretty busy these days)

Yes....there is the obvious option of buying something online and have it at reservations for them.  You can DM me for the other option.

6 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Strange questions - can you arrange a welcome gift for someone going to Bandon? I have friend going for the first time next month. 

I could have swore that I saw that as an option on the Bandon website. They had a few different welcome gift options but for the life of me I can't find it. Perhaps it was just a Bandon hallucination.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

18 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Gifts and Amenities:
If you would like to select customized gifts for your group, please contact our Group Merchandise Sales Coordinator at [email protected]; or visit www.bandondunesgolfshop.com for some ideas.

F.T.

Couple questions for the group.

I am going to be at the resort the 14th through 19th, but am flying in on the 12th. Would like to hit the resort on the 13th and maybe do Shorty's, hit a few balls, and hit the putting course again. Don't want to do a ton since I have a lot of golf in front of me that next few days. Do I just check with the main clubhouse?

Also I went solo last year, and am going solo again this time. Will be a much different experience since last year everything was closed. Food was takeout only. Any suggestions on where to go? Do they mind if I walked out on PAC and took in a sunset at the snack shack? Walked back in the dark? 

Can't wait to get back out there. 

Edited by tjl48

1 hour ago, tjl48 said:

I am going to be at the resort the 14th through 19th, but am flying in on the 12th. Would like to hit the resort on the 13th and maybe do Shorty's, hit a few balls, and hit the putting course again. Don't want to do a ton since I have a lot of golf in front of me that next few days. Do I just check with the main clubhouse?

Also I went solo last year, and am going solo again this time. Will be a much different experience since last year everything was closed. Food was takeout only. Any suggestions on where to go? Do they mind if I walked out on PAC and took in a sunset at the snack shack? Walked back in the dark? 

It's hard to say.  Omicron is supposed to peak right when you are there.  

Shortys, the practice center, and the punchbowl are free amenities for guests, no need to check in. 

They may have a problem with going out to the pacific snack shack at sunset as you have to walk back in the dark, the marshals have to stay out to make sure you get back in safely. I’d ask at the pro shop before going out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tjl48 said:

As Edaw notes, you can just go out to the Practice Center and spend as much time out there as you want.  There isn't any check-in process or anyone asking to see room keycards.

For the food, start at McKee's and work your way out to the other restaurants as you like.  Each one has it's own menu/price range and IMO all are pretty decent fare.

Also agree that they would likely not be keen on you walking out to the snack shack on PD just for a sunset viewing.  It's quite a ways out from the clubhouse and unless you know the service roads well, it can get pretty confusing.  And when it get dark out there, it gets DARK (and in January, quite cold).  I've been around PD quite a few times, and I wouldn't want to try to find my way back from the snack shack after sunset.  While they are very accommodating of tagalong walkers for playing groups, I'm doubtful they'd be allowing someone to just go out and walk around the course.  Never hurts to ask, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Why not just take in the sunset from the PD terrace by the fireplace with a hot beverage?  The view there is almost as stunning as from the snack shack.

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

1 hour ago, spud3 said:

As Edaw notes, you can just go out to the Practice Center and spend as much time out there as you want.  There isn't any check-in process or anyone asking to see room keycards.

For the food, start at McKee's and work your way out to the other restaurants as you like.  Each one has it's own menu/price range and IMO all are pretty decent fare.

Also agree that they would likely not be keen on you walking out to the snack shack on PD just for a sunset viewing.  It's quite a ways out from the clubhouse and unless you know the service roads well, it can get pretty confusing.  And when it get dark out there, it gets DARK (and in January, quite cold).  I've been around PD quite a few times, and I wouldn't want to try to find my way back from the snack shack after sunset.  While they are very accommodating of tagalong walkers for playing groups, I'm doubtful they'd be allowing someone to just go out and walk around the course.  Never hurts to ask, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Why not just take in the sunset from the PD terrace by the fireplace with a hot beverage?  The view there is almost as stunning as from the snack shack.

I'm sure I'll do that at least 1 night. I just have more time to kill than last year and thought it would be nice. When I was there last year one round I was playing as the sun was setting and it was magical. I think it would be cool to just hang out and take it all in. 

20201215_163617.jpg

• Like 2