2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

jjfcpa

Honestly, think of PING with a little more octane. I'm happy, but I'm not drinking any Flavor-Aid either. For the current price they're definitely a great club, and even for the old price still a very viable competitor in the GI world.

Get fitted or test some before buying. Or, at the very least, know your specs when you order. I'm glad I went with the Modus 105 as I don't think I'd like them as much with the SteelFibers or Dynamic Golds.

• Like 1
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I know that lightweight graphite isn’t for everyone but don’t sleep on the MMT. They offer 70 regular and 80 stiff as an option. Go read the MMT “mega thread” and determine if they’d be a good candidate. I was consistently a Dynamic Gold guy and I can’t imagine going back. For reference I’m 40 years old, smaller build with 100-105 driver swing speed.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Long time Ping Player and to me the PXG 0211 look a lot like the iE1 but play more like the G25 as the 0211 are plenty forgiving and are more like a cross between the G25 and iE1.

The heads are not quite as big or with as much offset in the longer irons as the G25. Offset of the 0211 is closer to the iE1 and head size is as well.

Not as long, iron for iron as the TM P790’s or G700’s I played previously but the sound and feel are better than either and fall in between the 790’s and G700’s in forgiveness.

A very, very nice set of forgiveness in the long irons, plenty of distance and just a nice blend in the heads from long iron to short iron.

Height and spin will be dependent on the shaft you choose and your particular swing. I reshafted mine with Nippon NS Pro 1050GH and they fit very nice with the head.

This was a nice graphic that shows the head size progression from long iron through wedges

LQD74ORSWA29.jpeg

• Like 2

I ordered a set of 0211 last month, got them a few weeks ago.

Wanted to add another club that wasn’t part of the sale at the time, but really didn’t want to spend shipping again on top of what I already paid last time. I called DD and it was no go they can’t do anything about shipping.

So i hit up the local fitter, no offer to help out on the shipping there either. You’d think If they got you once a couple weeks ago they might hook you up.

I can second Radeon962's comments. I have used a lot of Ping offerings from G10 to S55, and more recently G700s. I find 0211s as perfect tweeners - a bit larger than i series, a bit smaller than G series and all in one set ... great feel, maybe a bit more predictable ... and I really like the Mitsubishi MMT R flex a lot more than the Ping Alta R flex shafts.

• Like 1

The Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max 10.5° Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w/7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h/5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS Z-115

Oddysey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie 33"

I played Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff in my iE1, i200, i210, P790's and G700's and love them.

I wanted to try a bit more height and a touch softer feel which is the 1050GH as I'm 52 this year and age is starting to catch up with me.

The EI profile between the Modus 105 and 950/1050 are near identical with the 950 being about 10g lighter and the 1050 about the same weight as the Modus 105.

For me and my swing they are very, very similar shafts with the 950/1050 being just a bit softer feel to them and a big higher flight with a bit more spin.

AX304XHN5XT8.png

PXG has Ping engineers/designers on staff and you can see the Ping influence on the 0211. They just look, feel and perform like a better iE1. Best I can describe them is a blend between the iE1 and G25 with not as much offset as the G25 and a head size that is larger where you need it in the long irons down to a more traditional size in the short irons where you are looking for more control.

I have not played iE1's for a few years, but did play them for several so my responses are based on what I recall from using them and what I am experiencing now with the 0211's. Not a direct comparison, but the best I can offer.

Best bet may be to just order a single iron with the shaft you want and try it out head-to-head.

To your specific questions:

Feel - 0211 hands down. More along the lines of how the i210's feel to me. Soft and muted, but you still get some feedback from poorly struck shots. This will be impacted by the shaft you choose as well.

Forgiveness - 0211, iE1's were forgiving for their era of clubs, but the 0211's have the benefit of several more years of technology in the head and in my mind want to fly higher and straighter. 0211 long irons are definitely more forgiving. Short irons are a toss up as the heads are very similar right down to the white line in the bottom groove.

Turf interaction - good question as the iE1's were one of the best irons I have played for turf interaction. I am a sweeper so I don't take a big divot and the 0211's seem to be as good if not better than the iE1's in this department as well

Overall, the 0211's for me and my swing have all of what I loved in the iE1's and G25's but with better feel, sound and distance all in a more forgiving package.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your response, I think I will just order a single club for now. just trying to decide on the modus 3 stiff, what I have in the I e1's, or regular, maybe even the elevate 95? Wouldn't mind a little higher flight, and the lighter shaft might help, I am getting older(56). Thanks again for the response!

• Like 1

I hit the Tour Elevate that came in my GW before I reshafted it and it felt really good. The Elevate 95 is supposed to be a bit softer with a bit higher launch and spin and as an added bonus the VSS in the 95 is supposed to provide more vibration dampening. I would expect it should play a little bit softer than the Modus 105.

• Like 1

I just ordered a set, with MMT 70 R. I was a little shocked at the $60 shipping, but okay. I guess they have to pay for those expensive boxes, lol. Maybe the Stanley Cup guy with the white gloves will be carrying it to my door. ?

They are saying delivery in 2 weeks. Hopefully sooner because I’m in Arizona too. The person told me they are selling a ton of them.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

What putter? I was fit there for my Gen2 Gunboat and it has changed my game! It’s pisses off my buddies.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just a heads up, but you may want to reach out to your mobile fitters. Mine just text me today and said the travel ban is lifted so we can finish my fitting for my bag next week.

Just in case any of you want to hit before you buy.

PXG 0311 Tour-1 10.5° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 49° (50°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 53° (54°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 58°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

I finally pulled the trigger. I’m not a veteran and in good conscience couldn’t ask one to let me buy through them. My dad served the Navy in Vietnam but he passed years ago. I took advantage of the recent heroes pricing extended to everyone. 5-W 0211, 2 up elevate tour stiff. Looking forward to trying them out

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; 
5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 915 2H
3H- Titleist 915 2H dialed up in loft to 19; Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; PXG 0211 w/ Elevate Tour VSS Pro stiff
52/12 F: Vokey sm8 2 up; 52/12 F Vokey SM7
58/12 d: Vokey sm8 2 up; 58/12 d Vokey sm7 
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
Ball: Wilson FG Tour

My first round with the 0211’s coming from

playing the P790’s Modus 105 for the last two years. Fit into 0211’s Modus 120’s.

The feel is much more solid and way better feeling off the face. Well struck shots just feel amazing. My iron play was way better with the first round that included an almost ace from 195 yards with a 5 iron. Great purchase and no regret right now. Love the shaft difference and the bounce. 0211’s are really darn good.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Played 9 the last two days with my PXG 0211 that I reshafted with Nippon NS Pro 1050GH with ProSoft inserts.

Great set of irons and they have exceeded my expectations in feel, flight and control.

Might still be the new club honeymoon but I hope not.

I did find a deal on another set with Steelfiber FC90’s so if I can get the lie angle adjusted flat they will get a few rounds before I decide which set to keep.

If you don't mind me asking what is your swing speed and what made you go with the modus 120? How do they compare in distance and size to the p790? I was convinced i was either going to get p790 or the next iteration of the i500 (i510) but this deal was too good to pass on.

Ive always been a dynamic gold guy and went with the dg 120's (never tried them) this time so im hoping they feel like the original s300.

I ordered mine the 17th and called friday and they said they were backed up and they probably wouldn't be built until the middle of this week so looks like i won't be able to try them for another couple of weeks but im anxious to hit them

Hey guys I’m torn between a set of the 2019 P790 and the 0211s. It doesn’t look like I will be able to get a fitting due to circumstances so I wanted to reach out and get a feel for what people are saying about the two. Only a few comparisons I could find so wanted to get the opinion of some owners. I have a very high swing speed with a driver distance of 300+. My handicap is now around 14 with most of the issues coming from random duck hooks or flubbed chips (I’m working on that lol) would love some advice on the clubs! I’m considering buying the stock shaft and Selling it swapping them out for some dynamic gold X7s used. What do you guys think?

edit: also is there a better location to order from that might have less shipping?

I don’t know why you would order a set of irons for $95 a club, and then reshaft them. With used shafts? Just seems like you are going around in circles. Do you know you fit into the X7’s?

This is a good deal, but only if they work for you. I was fortunate enough to get a fitting this weekend.

I have done what you are looking to do, buy clubs, if they don’t fit, you reshaft them, if they don’t work again, find another shaft. It can get crazy! And I do my own club repair!

Have you tried the Dynamic Gold X100 120 shaft? It’s $25 more per club. That would be a lot easier than reshafting with used shafts.

As far as shipping, it has been discussed in here where you can buy. I was hoping that my shipping might have been discounted since I had a fitting with their rep, but no. Hey, I figure I got a free fitting, and I ended up fitting into a stock shaft, so I’m getting a $1700 set of irons for $760. I can deal with a $60 box.

Good luck!

Sir, I am going to order 6-gw with MMT stiff next couple days, what's your set swing weight? Can you give me more feedback, how about using short iron for half shot, pitching and chipping?

Thanks in advance.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

Great question about swingweight and one that I would love to know, as well! Before the virus hit I had planned on checking all of the specs to confirm but never got around to it. Mine will a bit odd in that they are built 1/2 inch over standard with midsize grips. I believe the thinking was that since they are so much stronger lofted than my previous irons (Wilson Staff V4) that my 0211 7 iron is the same length as my V4 6 iron. Anyhow, when this pandemic stabilizes, I’ll possibly be Checking specs and cutting them to standard. If I do, I’ll report back.

As far as half shots and chips/pitches go: they’re good but I wouldn’t say it is exemplary. That isn’t it to say it’s bad but I don’t feel that they have the same touch and finesse as a solid-body design. Put another way, I am glad that I have a dedicated gap wedge (even in spite of the fact that my gap wedge is a Cleveland CBX which has a ton of game improvement technology built into it).

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

I am debated about ordering the gap wedge or not. Also with a light weight club with a light weight shaft, I am worrying about how it perform around the green. From somewhere I heard, they mentioned that 0211 is lighter than others. For the discounted price and it also includes MMT graphite shaft, that's just sound like a nobrainer.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I'm trying to decide between the 0211s and a 1st Gen Combo set of 0311 and 0311ts. Anyone here have an experience with each one? I have only ever hit the original. It's impossible to test out clubs right now where I am and this deal seems too good. I have read through most of this thread on no real comparisons between Gen1... Both are priced about the same right now.