PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

I have had these for about 10-12 rounds and each time I get better and better with them. Modus 120 shaft works good for me too. My regular playing partners even comment on the sound when they are well struck.

Hit 15 greens in regulation yesterday. Loving these irons.

• Like 2

PXG 0811X+ Proto GD AD TP 5S
TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG Gen2 0317x 19* Fuji Pro 83s
PXG 0211 4 Modus 120S

PXG Gen3 0311T 5-GW Modus 120S
TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A hundred people will mention the price point. Why pay for PXG when Callaway, Cobra, Ping, etc perform just as good for a better price? Yet, Srixon performs just as good or better than those mentio

Seems like everyone that plays the PXG's speak very highly of them.   And everyone that doesn't can't say enough bad things about them.

I hated to cancel my 0211 order but fortunately found a new set on eBay. The soles were pristine with just a few ball marks that brushed right off. I initially ordered 5-L but got this set 4-L in the

Posted Images

I went the opposite way as I picked up the SW & LW to go with my 5-GW and they have been fantastic. Had them both bent 2* strong and 2* flat as my irons are 2* strong and the wedges have been fantastic.

2* weak would add some bounce but similar to Ping irons, bounce in a wedge tends to help many players. The Ping design is very evident in the 0211's and to my eye as a long-time Ping player previously, I love how they look behind the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my 0211 yesterday and was able to play a round today.  First couple holes was a warmup but after that they were excellent.  I am coming from some Ping Karsten(2014) that are a similar size to the G710.

I actually gained yardage on all of my hits and they proved to have better feel, sound, and forgiveness than my Pings.  I can't wait to get more rounds in!

• Like 1

A handful of rounds in with my 0211, and I'm sending mine back. They are similar to my prev irons in some ways, but I just can't seem to put a good, consistent hit on them. I think the main detractor for me would be going from PX 6.0 to the Elevate Tour. Distance control has gotten so much worse for me.

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Rogue 3W 15*

Sub70 939X Hybrid 18*, TM M3 21*

Sub70 699 5-PW

W/S Model 50*, 54*, 60*

White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie

I had been waiting to see what the next generation PINGS were going to be next year and as a WRX'r, I went to the PXG site to get the military verification to see what difference that made and saw that everything is on sale.

It got me thinking and I began reading this thread and all info I could find on this head.  Today I decided to order 5-GW. As a result of my conversation with the CS rep, I am going to be trying the MMT80 Stiff shaft. This could be interesting and I'm looking forward to hitting these a lot.

I really hope that those of you who have the Mitsubishi MMT80 will give more feedback about them.

I have been playing a small forged CB since 2012 except for about 7 months last year. During that time I played the i500. Played well with them, dropped my index 3 strokes to a 10 and was loving things..... except I truly could not live with the shaft. Although I adapted to it, I just don't like the bend profile. Due to neck injury, I couldn't play the DG shaft without pain in neck and shoulders beginning about the 12th hole. A friend heard I was considering selling them and asked if he could buy them. That settled that. 

I'm not playing at least twice a week as I had been and my ball striking isn't consistent enough right now. If the 0211 offers a bit of "forgiveness" and instills the same confidence level that the i500's did, they surely will be keepers.

Also, anybody that has played the i500's and the 0211's, please let us know how you think they match up.

Edited by Twin2L

It matters not what others call you, but what you answer to.

beer-goggles-on-glass-of-beer.jpg.c3e909aed71161ad053a32287bd7c3ed.jpg
Wishon 919THI  9* S2S Black 65 S
Wishon 929HS  14* S2S White S

Wishon 525F/D  13* S2S Black 65 S
Wishon 775HS   21* S2S Black Hybrids S
PXG 0211  5-GW  Elevate 95 S
PING Glide 3.0  54*SS

PXG 0311 Forged 60*
PING Anser3 Swan neck MgBr putter

I have only demo'd the I500's, but I think you will find the 0211's quite similar in many ways. Once you hit them, you will definitely see that the 0211's have Ping DNA in them. I have the MMT 80's and really like them. However, I have been using graphite shafts for about 5 years now and initially had to get use to graphite. Now I won't play anything else and my various joints thank me for it. I also have Ping 3.0 wedges and I think they blend well with them. The only thing I would caution you about is that the swing weight may be a bit light for you. But if you can adjust to it, I think you will really enjoy them.

Edited by jol
3 hours ago, jol said:

I have only demo'd the I500's, but I think you will find the 0211's quite similar in many ways. Once you hit them, you will definitely see that the 0211's have Ping DNA in them. I have the MMT 80's and really like them. However, I have been using graphite shafts for about 5 years now and initially had to get use to graphite. Now I won't play anything else and my various joints thank me for it. I also have Ping 3.0 wedges and I think they blend well with them. The only thing I would caution you about is that the swing weight may be a bit light for you. But if you can adjust to it, I think you will really enjoy them.

Thank you for the input. I play a sub 100g shaft now. About 6 years ago I experimented with graphite in my current irons. The ones I tried were too soft for my swing and they ballooned too easily. I did really like the feel and I felt like I was swinging much more relaxed.

I also have Glide 3.0 wedges so I’m glad they flow smoothly with the 0211. I guess I’ll know in about 3 weeks. They told me 2-3 weeks but that it could be sooner. 

I’m playing in a 2 day tournament the end of next month. It would be nice if these arrive in time for me to play them a few times before hand. If they show up last minute, I’ll probably keep the old irons in the bag for familiarity.

PING Glide 3.0  54*SS

PXG 0311 Forged 60*

About 2 months in with my 0211s with MMT 70s. Back and forth between these and Taylormade P790s with VSS 105 shafts. The first few times out with the 0211s was a struggle. I wondered if I had some  of the lie angle and swing weight issues others discovered. Eventually things started to click, not the longest irons ever for me, but among the most accurate in distance and direction. 

• Like 2

Terrific irons.  Came from i210s with recoil 95s to MMT80 stiff, easy adjustment.  Had lofts and lies checked today, everything spot on.  Forgot to check swingweight but based on feel I’d guess my usual D3 ish...but I play +3/4” (plus mid sized grip).  Incredible deal on their eBay store, supposedly used but obviously had never been hit, 4- GW, $520 iirc.

As others have noted, the design dna very familiar to Ping fans.  Honestly just about perfect clubs for someone like me with decent game, pretty solid swing, but aging and looking for a little help with an attractive look.  Progressive design inspires confidence.  Not too much offset to my eye.  
So far, very pleased.

MMT 80s seem to hold up well to my mid 80s ss, not flimsy or spinny, mid trajectory.

Feels like a bargain.  I was planning on buying new Pings next year, probably not now.

• Like 2

Mine came through this week with the Elevate Tour shafts and 1 degree strong.

Originally thought i'd be going back some sort of muscleback short irons, but found that these are perfectly fine with the modern ball. They hit the trajectory gates and yardages i'm aiming for and the turf interaction is very PINGlike and good for the courses i play. Hitting them off par 3's requires some adjustment though, they go far too high even with a low tee, however on balance it's probably better to have the moonshot in the bag and control the flight rather than not having it when you need it.

(At the sale price) They're equivalent to anything in same price bracket. As many have said they just feel like higher end PING's, which is fantastic if you've always wanted Ping tech with a softer feel. Do they perform any better than other like-for-like irons? Not in real life. You'd be buying them based on subjective reasons (looks, feel, price, brand).

At full price i do not think they are worth the premium ..... but for others the feel and brand might be.

Edited by Emthree
  • Like 2

910D3 8.5* 
910F 17* 
AP2 (714) 3-PW 
Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* 
SC Newport2 Pro Platinum

I’m encouraged by the feedback on these irons. Now the really hard part...... waiting.

Edited by Twin2L

PING Glide 3.0  54*SS

PXG 0311 Forged 60*

12 hours ago, Twin2L said:

I’m encouraged by the feedback on these irons. Now the really hard part...... waiting.

Search for any of my posts and you’ll find my thoughts and data on the MMT 80. TLDR: I love them. Lighter and dampened with Dynamic Gold’ish ball flight. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Rogue Heavenwood w/ Project X Evenflow Blue 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG 0211 5-PW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Cleveland CBX 52* and 56* w/ Rotex Graphite

Cleveland RTX4 60* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Olson Manufacturing Legacy Stainless

On 8/27/2020 at 9:29 AM, Twin2L said:

I was very surprised to get an email from PXG with my tracking information. I ordered them a week ago today. FEDEX says they’ll be here Friday. That is an incredible experience and rather uplifting as we still wait for power here in Louisiana. I needed a bright spot in my day!

• Like 1

PING Glide 3.0  54*SS

PXG 0311 Forged 60*

Down to $89 now on PXG's website.

Gen 3 down to $299, various other stuff on sale.

• Like 2

PXG 0811XF VA Nemesys 55

Callaway Epic Flash 17* Accra FX 2.0

Ping G410 20*/23*/26* Accra FX 2.0

Sub 70 699 Pro 6-AW / KBS TGI 70

Cleveland RTX4 54* & 58* KBS TGI 90

Evnroll ER5B BGT Stability Tour

LPGA players >>> male amateurs

Fitting scheduled with new prices. Driver, hybrid, and putter. 

• Like 1

TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG 0211 4 Modus 120S

TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

Well, had my heart set on JPX 921 F or a newer TM offering but now the gen 3 is getting close to my price range.  Love my gen 1 0311 and now wondering if I should go gen 3 0311P? Hmmm. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5* Hzrdus smoke black 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 4-PW, Steelfiber 95
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

4 hours ago, Minarets said:

Well, had my heart set on JPX 921 F or a newer TM offering but now the gen 3 is getting close to my price range.  Love my gen 1 0311 and now wondering if I should go gen 3 0311P? Hmmm. 

SAME!

Yankees Suck

Currently love my 0211’s, but will be hitting Gen3’s again during my fitting just so I can keep reminding myself how bad so need those.

TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG 0211 4 Modus 120S

TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

On 9/1/2020 at 2:40 PM, JAM01 said:

At $89 these are a steal, especially with the graphite shaft. 

I thought $99 was GREAT when I ordered mine at the end of July.  But having them in hand now, is worth the $60 difference -- and "who knew? they'd drop again...

PXG is certainly being aggressive in their pricing model !

How does the offset look to you guys? I play to a 2-5 handicap with a (usually) baby draw but my practice time is dwindling...kids. Have been haggling with giving up the blades for awhile and trying to get into something a little more friendly for those breaks in between hitting. 

Don’t really have the budget to spend thousands on irons or else I’d be probably playing 0311T but these 0211s fit in my price range vs the box brands.

Edited by mlwenzlick
43 minutes ago, mlwenzlick said:

How does the offset look to you guys? I play to a 2-5 handicap with a (usually) baby draw but my practice time is dwindling...kids. Have been haggling with giving up the blades for awhile and trying to get into something a little more friendly for those breaks in between hitting. 

Don’t really have the budget to spend thousands on irons or else I’d be probably playing 0311T but these 0211s fit in my price range vs the box brands.

Compare the offset vs 0311T in the short irons. Yes, long irons there is quite a difference. I

play to a 9 and love them. Really good for a cast iron. They are smoking iron for the price.. that’s for sure. 

TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG 0211 4 Modus 120S

TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

Love my 0211's. This is the 1st time I can remember in years that I haven't even looked at any other sets of irons.

Usually I buy a set and the next day I'm thinking would they be better!! Thankfully not since I got the 0211.

20 minutes ago, CT10 said:

Love my 0211's. This is the 1st time I can remember in years that I haven't even looked at any other sets of irons.

Usually I buy a set and the next day I'm thinking would they be better!! Thankfully not since I got the 0211.

Agree, I have bought, used and sold my fair share of iron sets over the last few years. This is the first time I am not looking at other sets. 

3 hours ago, CT10 said:

I love my 0211's, but have to admit that the new Mizuno 921 Forged and HM Pro's look really tempting!
Need to resist!!!! ?

• Like 1

Had a fitting yesterday and 0211 beat out everything, well the 0311T was very close in the numbers but not enough of a difference to justify the price. I did like the 0311T from address better, but the 0211 look good and after going though all the shaft choices twice we settled on the MMT80 Stiff hard stepped once.

I would never had figured a lighter shaft would be better for me but the fitter was very good and proved it time after time trying other shaft (3-4 balls each shaft), the ego was hurt but the numbers don't lie and I told him going in he had to beat my gamers hands down and he did. 

The fitter had some of the other 0211 irons in the van and I got to hit the 4, 8 iron and wedges, that sold me. 4-LW ordered and have money left over to do another fitting for the woods in a bit. 

Edited by Jim53
  • Like 3
On 9/1/2020 at 2:05 PM, Twin2L said:

I was very surprised to get an email from PXG with my tracking information. I ordered them a week ago today. FEDEX says they’ll be here Friday. That is an incredible experience and rather uplifting as we still wait for power here in Louisiana. I needed a bright spot in my day!

Well, I was disappointed when FedEx delivered only the accessories I had ordered. In the meantime, have all but finished the post hurricane clean up and I'm ready to play some golf! The 0211's are now on the way and will be here Monday. I'm really looking forward to seeing them and then hitting them. I'm anxious about the swing weights being correct after reading about all of the light swing weights. If not, I'll lead tape them until I'm sure about the MMT80 stiff shafts. 

PING Glide 3.0  54*SS

PXG 0311 Forged 60*

On 9/6/2020 at 8:44 PM, mlwenzlick said:

I am about a 1 handicap right now and love the 0211's. Offset is there but doesn't bother me. I am sure it is something in the fit, but they are the easiest irons to fade that I have had lately.

On a whim I bought a set of 0211s 6-GW with a gen2 0311x 5 driving iron all with the MMT 80g S. I haven’t played graphite shafts in irons since middle school (I’m 33) and I’m going down in weight and flex from my current Modus 105x. Didn’t do a fitting. Will be interested to see the results. I could just be crazy. I played stiff shafts in irons when I played competitively in high school and upped to X stiff in my 20s. My 150 club is always between PW and 9i so I’ve been told to play X. But I find myself swinging too hard for my shafts to perform and my miss is always a boardy block left as I get tired later in the round. Long post to say I’m excited to try these out and try out the graphite iron shafts in a lighter flex.

Edited by LeftyTPH

Titleist 915 D3 - Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec X
Titleist 917f - Tour AD DI 7s
Adams XTD DHy 3 - KBS C Taper Lite S

Callaway Apex Utility 24 - Aerotech i110 XStiff
Ping s55 5 thru P - Modus 105x
TaylorMade R Series - 52, 56, 60 - Modus 120x
Odyssey White Hot XG #7

How do the 0211 look compared to 0311P? Top line? Blade length? Offset? 

im going to get a new set next month and currently play the 0311 Gen 1.  Like the look of the new JPX 921 F when I hit them the other day but they look almost identical to my 0311 at address. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5* Hzrdus smoke black 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 4-PW, Steelfiber 95
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X