PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

jjfcpa

8 minutes ago, LeftyTPH said:

535B3AB9-AE84-4BEE-A8EA-FDD7E27DD37B.jpeg

DAE9430D-BA75-4F35-AF50-B65B179C357E.jpeg

BE92CC70-92D1-4C47-BADC-6A9152F05608.jpeg

Let us know how that DI works for you. I was on the fence about it. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Got the 1st round in with the 0211 yesterday and I am very happy with the clubs, the 4 iron is a blast and really for me plays like a driving iron. They are a bit bigger than what I am used to playing but not terrible to look at.

I need a couple more rounds to adjust to the shafts being a bit lighter and stiffer than what I was playing but saw some very nice shots out of pretty much all the clubs, the wedges may be the biggest hurdle with the 80 gr shafts but still something I can adjust to with time I think.  Worst comes to worst I will reshaft them with MMT 105 down the road.

That is my only complaint with PXG is not offering the 105 even as a upcharge, but for what they are getting for these they are a steal.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

16 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Let us know how that DI works for you. I was on the fence about it. 

Oh. My. Goodness. Sweetest club I’ve ever hit. I just went to the driving range. Wind was fierce and straight into me. Couldn’t hit anything except knockdowns. 25+ mph wind I’d guess. The driving iron shot out like a bullet and still went far. Even when it got up a bit it still cut through the wind. I only hit it 5-6 times but I loved it. Tempted to get a 2 or 3 since I have the 5.

For reference we are under a high wind advisory with gusts up to 40 mph today.

Edited by LeftyTPH
  • Thanks 1

Titleist 915 D3 - Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec X
Titleist 917f - Tour AD DI 7s
Adams XTD DHy 3 - KBS C Taper Lite S

Callaway Apex Utility 24 - Aerotech i110 XStiff
Ping s55 5 thru P - Modus 105x
TaylorMade R Series - 52, 56, 60 - Modus 120x
Odyssey White Hot XG #7

57 minutes ago, LeftyTPH said:

Oh. My. Goodness. Sweetest club I’ve ever hit. I just went to the driving range. Wind was fierce and straight into me. Couldn’t hit anything except knockdowns. 25+ mph wind I’d guess. The driving iron shot out like a bullet and still went far. Even when it got up a bit it still cut through the wind. I only hit it 5-6 times but I loved it. Tempted to get a 2 or 3 since I have the 5.

For reference we are under a high wind advisory with gusts up to 40 mph today.

How easy is it to hit as I am not the best ball striker with my long irons? Want to get the 3 or 2 but worry about making good contact. 

1 hour ago, Rbsiedsc said:

How easy is it to hit as I am not the best ball striker with my long irons? Want to get the 3 or 2 but worry about making good contact. 

I found it really easy to hit, but it was the 5 iron. I previously had a taylormade speedblade 17 degree and really struggled to make good contact. I’m curious as well. I’m a 6 handicap but wouldn’t consider myself the best ball striker. 

Odyssey White Hot XG #7

The current deals on the 0211 are really hard to resist... $89 a club?! But I'm still hesitant to game them as I don't want to be "that guy" with PXG irons in the bag everywhere I go. I've had "flashy" clubs in the bag many times over the years and always end up getting rid of them because I don't like the attention it draws.

Anyone know the real differences between the driving iron and the XF in similar lofts?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

13 hours ago, LeftyTPH said:

I found it really easy to hit, but it was the 5 iron. I previously had a taylormade speedblade 17 degree and really struggled to make good contact. I’m curious as well. I’m a 6 handicap but wouldn’t consider myself the best ball striker. 

A not so great range session makes me doubt the thought of a DI for now. Combo of hitting on mats and body swinging irons for 3 weeks did me in. These clubs will be so nice once I can dial them in and that 4i, although it has a lot off offset, can really hit some rockets. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

Anyone know the real differences between the driving iron and the XF in similar lofts?

Weighted and designed for opposite ball flights. XF has more spin and higher launch. X is a low launch, low spin design. When I spoke with my PXG fitter he explained that is teeing up the X, you can get some real low “knuckleballs” due to the design. 

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Coming from s55’s and not having any higher than a 6 iron in the 0211’s, they don’t seem too big or too offset to me. They look like players irons from up top. Maybe the 4 and 5 irons are bigger. But I’ve never played blades and the s55’s are as close as I’ve gotten. 

Odyssey White Hot XG #7

21 minutes ago, LeftyTPH said:

Coming from s55’s and not having any higher than a 6 iron in the 0211’s, they don’t seem too big or too offset to me. They look like players irons from up top. Maybe the 4 and 5 irons are bigger. But I’ve never played blades and the s55’s are as close as I’ve gotten. 

Too be honest only the 4 kinda seems outta place offsetwise. All of these, except the 4i have lesson offset than my prior speedblades. They do a great job on making the top line look thin at address as well. 

41 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Too be honest only the 4 kinda seems outta place offsetwise. All of these, except the 4i have lesson offset than my prior speedblades. They do a great job on making the top line look thin at address as well. 

At the risk of repeating myself, the 0211 really is a progressive (think combo) set. The longer irons are definitely in the super game improvement vein, while the shorter irons are players. In my opinion, they are blended seamlessly. 

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

7 minutes ago, dxdgenert said:

At the risk of repeating myself, the 0211 really is a progressive (think combo) set. The longer irons are definitely in the super game improvement vein, while the shorter irons are players. In my opinion, they are blended seamlessly. 

I agree with you. I was just pointing out in terms of offset progression 

On 9/28/2020 at 10:48 AM, dxdgenert said:

This is exactly right. I sold my MP20 HMBs after getting the 0211s and I much prefer these. The offset on the 0211s is much less than the HMB on the 8, 9, W, and Gap. 

Very much a players look in the short irons and wedges. My longest iron is the 6 and the 0211 has a little more offset in that iron than the HMB but not as much as a Ping G series or similar club.  They really are like a combo set as you said.  If I used a 4 iron, the offset and blade length may be too much but for the 6 iron it's fine. The extra help is actually good.  They are very impressive irons even at full price.  For $89 a club they are a steal.  If you even have a slight interest in a PXG iron, you should try them.  especially with the 30 day return policy.  

Edited by Bt31

I seem to be back in the 0211 fold at the moment.  Started the season off trying out a set with Elevate 95 stiff, and enjoyed the 0211s, but I didn't love the Elevate 95 shafts.  I was waiting on PXG's ebay site to put up a LH set with MMT 80 stiff, and a set popped up recently that I grabbed.  Lie angles seem to be a bit flat for me, but I can get that dialed in.  Primary purpose was to see if the MMT 80 was playable for me, in light of my preference for shafts in the 95-110g range.

I've taken them out for a couple of of 9 hole outings, and I am impressed.  Still really enjoy the heads, and the MMT 80 is a great shaft.  Very stable, and seem to play heavier than their mid-high 80g weight.  Great feel of course.  These may not go right into the bag, but will be a fun option to play.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I bought a new set to try out the MMT 80 stiff and I’ve only had one range session but the shafts still perform when you get after it, even with a high swing speed. Still undecided whether I’ll keep the shafts but I could get used to the lighter feel. And they are pure and fly far on good strikes. And I was able to keep them low when I needed to. 

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot XG #7

18 minutes ago, LeftyTPH said:

I bought a new set to try out the MMT 80 stiff and I’ve only had one range session but the shafts still perform when you get after it, even with a high swing speed. Still undecided whether I’ll keep the shafts but I could get used to the lighter feel. And they are pure and fly far on good strikes. And I was able to keep them low when I needed to. 

Yep, agreed on all fronts.  They definitely don't feel loose, or hit moonballs.  I can imagine how good the heavier weight MMT shafts are, like the 90, 105, etc.  I actually prefer them in the 0211 compared to Steelfiber 95 in the 0211, which I have hit as well.

And one more point--the swing weight was very low on the 0211 with MMT 80, no higher than D0.  The first time I took them out, I forgot to really check, and I could not hit them well or feel the clubhead at all.  After applying lead tape to get them D2-D3 progressive, they woke up.  Gotta add some heft to them.   Stock, they are too light IMHO.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

On 9/28/2020 at 6:33 AM, dxdgenert said:

Weighted and designed for opposite ball flights. XF has more spin and higher launch. X is a low launch, low spin design. When I spoke with my PXG fitter he explained that is teeing up the X, you can get some real low “knuckleballs” due to the design. 

I don’t know...I originally ordered an SGI as a DI, and when the X went on sale I switched it out. The fitter over the phone told me the same thing, and we landed on a TGI shaft in it. But I really don’t see the lower launch and ball flight they are saying. 
They also will tell you it’s not great for off the deck, but I have had no issues out of the fairway. 
I wouldn’t let any of that stuff shy you away from picking one up. 

Only one range session in with mine, and all I can say is that I can’t wait to hit them again!

• Like 1

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

On 9/27/2020 at 4:31 PM, LeftyTPH said:

Pulled the trigger on the 2i today. Will see how it goes

• Like 2

A few more details, I play to 5.9 index, and my ball striking is decent, but certainly not great.  I save a lot of rounds by keeping it in play and then getting up and down.  If my GIR stats to go up, I should see significant improvements in scoring.  Have always convinced myself that I fit into the "player's cavity back" category of irons, so that's what I've played the past twenty years (and I've played a lot of them).  The 0211's are a bit longer head to toe than what I'm used to, but I kinda like the look.  Top line is still pretty thin, though a thicker one doesn't bother me too much.  For whatever reason, I kept hitting these sticks in the middle of the clubface yesterday, wedge through 4-iron. Had some of my usual thin shots, but anything I didn't half-top was a positive result. Even though these clubs are a half inch shorter than my last set, they definitely were going farther on the range.  I've long been a 8-iron goes 150-ish guy, but I was airmailing my 150 target consistently with the PXG 8-iron.  I'd say at least a half club longer, but that will have to be verified on course.  Feel is really nice, I've played a lot of forged heads, but I don't nitpick, I've yet to hit an iron where a flushed shot doesn't feel good to me.  Ball flight was very consistent, and dispersion was pretty tight.  Only a bad pull every so often didn't look like the other shots, but those are the result of a really bad swing by me.  Looking forward to getting them on the course, if I keep finding the middle of the face like I did yesterday, I believe I'm going to be very happy with them.

• Like 4

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

Gave them another spin yesterday, MMT 70R’s still felt too light but I managed to hit more GIR’s than usual. Seems like I might adjust to the weight after all.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x