PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

On 9/27/2020 at 4:31 PM, LeftyTPH said:

I found it really easy to hit, but it was the 5 iron. I previously had a taylormade speedblade 17 degree and really struggled to make good contact. I’m curious as well. I’m a 6 handicap but wouldn’t consider myself the best ball striker. 

Pulled the trigger on the 2i today. Will see how it goes

• Like 2

Driver: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63

3W: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X 2I HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: Sub 70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long

Wedges  54*,60*:  Ping S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up

Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab 

Ball: Snell MTB or KSigs or Srixon Z Star XV

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like everyone that plays the PXG's speak very highly of them.   And everyone that doesn't can't say enough bad things about them.

A hundred people will mention the price point. Why pay for PXG when Callaway, Cobra, Ping, etc perform just as good for a better price? Yet, Srixon performs just as good or better than those mentio

It’s official.... I picked up another set of 0211’s from PXG express. The Gen3 0311T’s are just a bit too demanding for me. I lost too much money in my weekend money group with the 0311T’s. Made way m

Posted Images

A few more details, I play to 5.9 index, and my ball striking is decent, but certainly not great.  I save a lot of rounds by keeping it in play and then getting up and down.  If my GIR stats to go up, I should see significant improvements in scoring.  Have always convinced myself that I fit into the "player's cavity back" category of irons, so that's what I've played the past twenty years (and I've played a lot of them).  The 0211's are a bit longer head to toe than what I'm used to, but I kinda like the look.  Top line is still pretty thin, though a thicker one doesn't bother me too much.  For whatever reason, I kept hitting these sticks in the middle of the clubface yesterday, wedge through 4-iron. Had some of my usual thin shots, but anything I didn't half-top was a positive result. Even though these clubs are a half inch shorter than my last set, they definitely were going farther on the range.  I've long been a 8-iron goes 150-ish guy, but I was airmailing my 150 target consistently with the PXG 8-iron.  I'd say at least a half club longer, but that will have to be verified on course.  Feel is really nice, I've played a lot of forged heads, but I don't nitpick, I've yet to hit an iron where a flushed shot doesn't feel good to me.  Ball flight was very consistent, and dispersion was pretty tight.  Only a bad pull every so often didn't look like the other shots, but those are the result of a really bad swing by me.  Looking forward to getting them on the course, if I keep finding the middle of the face like I did yesterday, I believe I'm going to be very happy with them.

• Like 4

Ping G400 LST 7.5* Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757
Cobra F7 3/4 16* Evenflow Blue 75 OR Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 16.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

PXG 0311X 4 Fujikura Banzai
PXG 0211 5-PW Nippon 950GH 
Callaway MD CB 48* KBS-V125

Callaway MD4 52* S Grind Project X 
Callaway MD PM Grind 58* KBS-V125, 64* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8
Titleist AVX or Srixon Z-Star XV

Gave them another spin yesterday, MMT 70R’s still felt too light but I managed to hit more GIR’s than usual. Seems like I might adjust to the weight after all.

EFSZ 9*, Tour AD XC 6R

TS2 15*, Tensei AV Blue 65R

0317X Gen2 19*, MMT 80S

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW, SteelFiber 95S

RTX-4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid, DG S400

Red X2 35”/330g

14th club: 0317 Gen1 17* or Hi-Toe 64* (course dependent)

Tour B RX

- In the testing “lab”: 0811X+ Proto 10.5*; Original One 11.5*; WHP 7CS; MTB-X, TP5x.

- Backups: TS3 9.5*; EFSZ 15*; WHP CSM 400g.

Hit mine with whiffles in the park. Definitely love the feel of them on grass. First round Sunday to see how they are. 

3W: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X 2I HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: Sub 70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

Took these out on the course today. Sadly my driver and short game let me down. I didn’t strike the best but when I did these things performed. I hit two great 4i shots, which I used to never do. As well, I had one nice drive with the 4i on a short par 4. After shanking a drive on a long par 3, (sadly with the 4i), I hit the PW to within 15 ft (still three putted, gah). The short irons are dead money, but you do need to know how to put a good swing on them. On one par 3, I didn’t with the 7i and it was ugly into the pond. On off-center hits, I didn’t  loose much distance and the height is good. You still can get a feeling in your hands when you miss hit which is nice. I had great shots with nearly every club today, which is a confidence boost. I have playing with A 15-20 wind for some of the day and these seemed to cut through it and did not ballon. The lower spin is somewhat evident if you don’t hit the green, you can get some nice roll. Most shots into the green was one hop and stop. Such a sweet feeling. These clubs after this round has shown me what I need to work on and what they can do when hit properly. I can’t wait to get back out Saturday. May try for a short course round earlier to test them out exclusively and maybe try for some pictures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emmitsburg said:

Is anyone playing the 2* strong lofts? Would be interested if there is any negative feedback like not being able to hold greens,

If by 2* strong you mean the std lofts? (21.5* 4i) no I don’t have trouble holding greens. In fact I get nice check ups

2 minutes ago, Emmitsburg said:

I am only considering 6-GW. For instance standard 7I is 31* am considering 2* strong which would be 29*.

If you can hold a green or not is going to depend a lot more on how you deliver the club than 2 degrees of loft. If you hit the ball high with your current irons my guess is you will be fine. If you already struggle with height the 0211's aren't going to work any miracles as far as getting the ball higher. 

On 10/1/2020 at 2:35 PM, SCOTT4099 said:

Can anyone advise if these have a longer blade length than ping g410 irons? I can’t compare the two and they are both on my current short list.....

I had G400s for awhile before getting the 0211s. The G410s are a little different from the 400 but not much. The blade length on the PXGs is probably similar in the longer irons and gets shorter as you go down like the Pings. The biggest difference will be the offset. There's some offset in the 0211 longer irons but it's much less in the short irons and wedges. Like less than in a Mizuno MP20. That's what I really like about them. They are comparable in forgiveness to a Ping G iron but much better looking and with significantly less offset. Also they are softer feeling than most forged clubs I've owned including Mizuno HMBs. And for $89 an iron, they're an unbelievable deal. 

12 hours ago, Emmitsburg said:

Is anyone playing the 2* strong lofts? Would be interested if there is any negative feedback like not being able to hold greens,

I am not sure if this will help you but I have the 0211's with the Elevate Tour shaft and they get a lot more height than the Ping G irons that I am coming from and throughout my 5 iron through gap wedge set have pretty much the exact same lofts.  I am hitting them about the same distance also.  With the less offset I don't seem to be pulling any shots like I did with the G iron.

Edited by GroverC
clarity

The lofts haven't been an issue for me.  Of course, only some clubs are stronger lofted than my previous set.  PW and 4-iron are the same, actually, but every other club is a degree or two stronger.  I did make a significant change is shafts, so I'm sure that has played a role in ball flight and spin.

Cobra F7 3/4 16* Evenflow Blue 75 OR Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 16.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

12 hours ago, Emmitsburg said:

I am only considering 6-GW. For instance standard 7I is 31* am considering 2* strong which would be 29*.

I went from Ping G irons to the 0211 in the std lofts. The lofts are identical, but I hit the PXG's higher and about 1/2 a club longer. I have no issue in holding the greens and I even play the Titleist AVX ball which has slightly less spin than the Pro V's. 

Edited by jol

any info on 0211 FB?

E3F21FE5-07C9-4DC9-A161-6EF6D80DBEC6.png

Edited by Minarets

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

I'm guessing they are part of the reason the 0211's are on super sale.  Clear that inventory.  Not complaining, mind you 🙂

Still liking mine;  wish I would have waited for the new crazy good sales but $100/club wasn't terrible.    Put about 15 rounds on them, getting more used to the swing and turf interaction.

Still standing by my opinion they are fancy PINGs.  At least, that's how they feel and act to me.    No plans to sell or change other than to my baby blades on occasion. 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
Mizuno MPT11 54/60 TTDG wedge flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Was weak and pulled the trigger on these with out hitting but at that price hard not to.  Went to the true temper shaft fit and ironically gave me the tour elevate and this made up my mind.  Wanted to try the steelfiber but being an impulse buy do to price I didn’t want to pay to upcharge.  Cell phones make this way to easy...

17 hours ago, dan360 said:

Still liking mine;  wish I would have waited for the new crazy good sales but $100/club wasn't terrible.    Put about 15 rounds on them, getting more used to the swing and turf interaction.

Still standing by my opinion they are fancy PINGs.  At least, that's how they feel and act to me.    No plans to sell or change other than to my baby blades on occasion. 

I agree with the Ping DNA. But they feel much softer than the Ping G410.

Ping G410 Plus driver
Cobra F8 3 wood
Cobra F8 17* Callaway XR 22*, 25* hybrids
PXG 0211 irons 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/14 and Zing Lob wedges
Ping Sigma G Craz-E putter

I just cancelled my Sim max combo order since ETA is 12/10 and am strongly considering these purely from value prop perspective.

my current set is adams A2 from about 12-14 yrs ago and I recently re-ignited my love for this beautiful game.

current scores range from 86 - 94 based on last 10 rounds.

I'm hoping to start by replacing the hybrids+ irons ( love the 3h,4h and 5-pw combo) and then replace the driver (using 12+ yr old cleveland xl hibore) and finally the three wedges ( 12+ yrs adams - don't use woods because i'm uncomfortable hitting long clubs).

Question: 

I hit a few ping 710's and sim max irons and had settled on sim max with graphite shafts. noticed my carry distance improved by about 10 yards but there's so much inconsistency that it's tough to say.

is the guidance here to pay $50 to pxg for a fitting and go try the 0211's? or just order without a trial?

same question for driver: best to order the XF for the super low price since how can you go wrong with a driver that costs in the $200's?

I'm just looking for a new set that will allow me to consistently break 90's and as long as I shoot between 80 - 85, I'm good.

I suspect most of it has to do with exercise and taking care of my body (woefully out of shape).

i also understand confidence (whether it's unfounded or without facts) is key and hitting a 5 or 7i with new clubs (even if carry distance is the same as your old set) is somewhat of a factor.

and lastly, I suspect that if I drive well and improve my short game, the 80-85 goal is achievable and I don't need the most cutting edge iron set (anything average but fitted to my swing would work).

I'm in northern CA so intend to continue to play through winter and have joined a club starting Nov....so pretty excited.

Infact, it's really the only thing I think of day-n-night....lol

Edited by gordita
added driver
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, gordita said:

I just cancelled my Sim max combo order since ETA is 12/10 and am strongly considering these purely from value prop perspective.

my current set is adams A2 from about 12-14 yrs ago and I recently re-ignited my love for this beautiful game.

current scores range from 86 - 94 based on last 10 rounds.

I'm hoping to start by replacing the hybrids+ irons ( love the 3h,4h and 5-pw combo) and then replace the driver (using 12+ yr old cleveland xl hibore) and finally the three wedges ( 12+ yrs adams - don't use woods because i'm uncomfortable hitting long clubs).

Question: 

I hit a few ping 710's and sim max irons and had settled on sim max with graphite shafts. noticed my carry distance improved by about 10 yards but there's so much inconsistency that it's tough to say.

is the guidance here to pay $50 to pxg for a fitting and go try the 0211's? or just order without a trial?

same question for driver: best to order the XF for the super low price since how can you go wrong with a driver that costs in the $200's?

I'm just looking for a new set that will allow me to consistently break 90's and as long as I shoot between 80 - 85, I'm good.

I suspect most of it has to do with exercise and taking care of my body (woefully out of shape).

i also understand confidence (whether it's unfounded or without facts) is key and hitting a 5 or 7i with new clubs (even if carry distance is the same as your old set) is somewhat of a factor.

and lastly, I suspect that if I drive well and improve my short game, the 80-85 goal is achievable and I don't need the most cutting edge iron set (anything average but fitted to my swing would work).

I'm in northern CA so intend to continue to play through winter and have joined a club starting Nov....so pretty excited.

Infact, it's really the only thing I think of day-n-night....lol

I don’t think you can go wrong with a $50 fitting. I ordered, in waves, a set of 0211s 4-LW with the MMT 70s. At $89 a club with no up charge Graphite shaft, it’s a great deal and seems like the build time on full sets has come down significantly. Not sure if they have all the components in stock though. I came from p790s with a steel shaft. The 0211 are at least as long for me and the dispersion with the graphite hasn’t been an issue. Plus my wrists and elbows actually feel much better since the change. You mentioned confidence - these irons give me that and for the first time in several years I won’t be making any iron changes. Can’t speak to the driver, G410 plus has been consistent for me. 

I'm awaiting delivery of my clubs (used).  The 0211's coming are 6-GW.  

I'm coming from a 48* PW and gap it with a 52* now/56* now and have a 58* in reserve.   The 0211 GW is 50*.  Do you find this club flies far for a 50* club given the face design or is it flying like a true 50*?  I'm trying to figure out the wedge setup to go with it.  

I'll find out soon enough when the clubs get here, but how are those of you with the GW gapping into your wedges?  Reading the WITBs I'm seeing people going from the PW into a 52* or GW into a 50*, is that right?

Dave

30 minutes ago, BogeyParBogey said:

I'm awaiting delivery of my clubs (used).  The 0211's coming are 6-GW.  

I'm coming from a 48* PW and gap it with a 52* now/56* now and have a 58* in reserve.   The 0211 GW is 50*.  Do you find this club flies far for a 50* club given the face design or is it flying like a true 50*?  I'm trying to figure out the wedge setup to go with it.  

I'll find out soon enough when the clubs get here, but how are those of you with the GW gapping into your wedges?  Reading the WITBs I'm seeing people going from the PW into a 52* or GW into a 50*, is that right?

Dave

I had the 0211 PW with 50, 56, 60 Taylormade MG 2. I converted to the full 0211 wedges GW, SW, LW. I’m basically playing the same distances on full shots. The 0211s might be a few yards longer, but are more consistent for me.