PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

jjfcpa

On 10/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, JAM01 said:

I don’t think you can go wrong with a $50 fitting. I ordered, in waves, a set of 0211s 4-LW with the MMT 70s. At $89 a club with no up charge Graphite shaft, it’s a great deal and seems like the build time on full sets has come down significantly. Not sure if they have all the components in stock though. I came from p790s with a steel shaft. The 0211 are at least as long for me and the dispersion with the graphite hasn’t been an issue. Plus my wrists and elbows actually feel much better since the change. You mentioned confidence - these irons give me that and for the first time in several years I won’t be making any iron changes. Can’t speak to the driver, G410 plus has been consistent for me. 

Thanks.

Signed up for a fitting this thursday and certainly very excited. I hope it works out.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dukediv2011 said:

Ordered a full bag today. Proto Driver, 2 Driving Irons (1 and 3), 0211 (4-LW), and Blackjack Putter. I am pumped, to say the least!

If the Ping G410 driver, 3 wood and 3 hybrid weren’t performing as well as they are, I’d order PXG for the top end. Here great things about the hybrid especially. 

Love my 0211’s but couldn’t seem to along with the woods or hybrids. The Proto driver was enticing but something about the Callaway shape works for me. I’ve never hit the wedges but I’m sure they’re fantastic. Even with the Heroes Discount it is hard to justify the price, for me, when Cleveland and Vokeys are so good. 

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

1 hour ago, dxdgenert said:

Love my 0211’s but couldn’t seem to along with the woods or hybrids. The Proto driver was enticing but something about the Callaway shape works for me. I’ve never hit the wedges but I’m sure they’re fantastic. Even with the Heroes Discount it is hard to justify the price, for me, when Cleveland and Vokeys are so good. 

Yeah, I tried both fairways and hybrids. Didn’t like either. Then I tried the driving iron—it is outstanding. 

13 minutes ago, dukediv2011 said:

Yeah, I tried both fairways and hybrids. Didn’t like either. Then I tried the driving iron—it is outstanding. 

Agreed. My Gen 1 0311X 4 iron is a very nice option when things aren’t working off the tee. 

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

4 hours ago, dukediv2011 said:

Ordered a full bag today. Proto Driver, 2 Driving Irons (1 and 3), 0211 (4-LW), and Blackjack Putter. I am pumped, to say the least!

I just got the 2 driving iron. Stoked to take it to the range. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

7 minutes ago, dukediv2011 said:

They didn't charge me for the fitting, and they didn't charge me for any additional weighting. 

7 minutes ago, dukediv2011 said:

They didn't charge me for the fitting, and they didn't charge me for any additional weighting. 

Nice!  They use to have a full bag deal for like 6k.  Included 14 clubs, bag and a hat.  

Edited by TheMoneyShot

13 hours ago, dukediv2011 said:

Yeah, it looks great in person. Smaller than I imagined. 

You demo’d it? Feedback?

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Got my 0211's on the course for the first times the past few days, and all I can say is these things are soooo forgiving.  I've made a pretty dramatic shaft change, +1/2 inch S300's to standard length NS950's, and that's led to a few toe-jam strikes that have turned out just great.  In fact, the first two shots I had into a substantial wind with these clubs, I tried to punch a longer club under the wind, struck both super toe-y, and got a piercing draw that flew almost the exact distance I wanted, and led to near kick-ins. Conversely, I've hit some heel-fades that flew a bit high and right of the target, but still got near pin high and left me in manageable positions to get up and down.  Purely struck shots have flown arrow straight with a great trajectory.  I'm really excited about what I've seen these irons do with my AVX's. 

• Like 2

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or LA Golf Trono 7 

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

So I wanted to share my experience from yesterday's fitting.

Started with the traditional 7i testing and the 0211's felt good. 
Hit about 30 - 40 shots with different shafts and the positive results were there for everyone to see.

Then it got interesting.

I mentioned that I don't carry any woods as I don't enjoy/don't know how to hit long clubs...
This is where my fitter went to work.....3 simple tips, loads of shots and after about 30 solid minutes, I was ripping woods as well as my hybrids like never before.

Next comes the driver.
In my head, I was 90% convinced that I should stick with my 45" length or even go down to 44".
Well, another 30min of tips, lessons and testing with a variety of shafts and weights, I was crushing them. The confidence went sky high.
My optimal length - 45.5 inches!

Outcome - I wish I had more time but I was in between critical meetings and I bolted after cutting the session short.
I just had such a great time and my gut feeling said to just give my credit card and let the guy do his thing.
Ended up ordering 10 clubs including 0811 XF, 3 and 4h, 5-gw and loads of adjustments (length, weight, grips, offset)

More than anything, the fitter had a heart of a teacher and it made all the difference.
To me, with the tips/lessons, I could very well continue with my current Adams set (the driver had to be upgraded, went from 180-190 carry to 225) but the overall experience was superb.
No doubt, any of the other fitters from other top companies would be able to work their miracle as well but it was the most enjoyable 90 minutes I've spent in a long time.
Bear in mind, the day before, I shot a 95 on a course and was in a foul mood (had shot 85 2-weeks prior) - yesterday was so uplifting!

Hope this helps folks on this forum, hit me up for more details.

The fitter gave me his card and said to text him anytime I needed swing help and I'm going to take him up on his offer...lol

• Like 3

I sold my ping i210s, fully committed to 0211s, MMT 80 stiff now.

As I worked on my swing, 4i made its way into the bag which surprised me.

Thinking about the 3 iron 0311xp now.  Anyone hit it?
I’m 60s not getting younger, iron ss mid 80s but these things are easy to hit, consistent distances, nothing to complain about.

I have the 0211's back with the Elevate 95 Stiff shafts after trying the MMT 80's. I really liked the feel of the MMT's but gave up too much distance. With the Elevate stiff, distances were much better for me, about what my previous set did. These irons are very soft feeling. I noticed on many shots that they feel every bit as soft as the forged irons I've been playing for 7 years. They fly very straight, very nice baby draw and even easy to hit my most difficult shot, a small fade with an iron. They are very easy to fly high or flight down into the wind. The turf interaction is excellent. I find the offset is not an issue for me at all. I notice it in the 5&6 mostly, but they frame the ball and align to the target VERY easily.

I am a bit confused by these irons. I like how they feel, how they look and their manageability. As the lofts are 1 iron stronger through the 8 iron than my previous set, considering length I expected these to be about 1/2 club longer. I find these iron number for iron number very close in distance to my previous set. Maybe it was hurricane fatigue, (2 in one month) lack of consistent playing time or cooler weather. Probably the cumulative effect of all of the above.

I'll be playing these for a while to understand how they fit my game, or if I consider other options and move on. I really like the way they look and feel. I like how they flight the ball and are very easy to hit shots with. What I don't know is if I gain anything other than they're new, pretty and just a little more controllable (forgiving) than the forged players CB that I played before. 

I like these irons a lot and want to like them enough to keep them in the bag. Only more rounds and range time will tell. Perhaps it is simply a matter of familiarity. Even if these irons end up not being perfect for me, they are excellent and feel, fly and sound very good. They are a high quality product.

A side note is I also ordered a 60* 0311 wedge. It's definitely a keeper. Played a few bunker shots, (first one was my 3rd shot of the day), used it for all pitch and chip shots during today's round (even if I normally would have used a different club) and I'm really pleased. 

• Like 1

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

Anybody else that got the 0211’s with the Elevate Tour option having issues with distance? I hit the ball way too high (naturally a high hitter to begin with) and they seem to spin too much. Losing about a club length (more for PW and GW) from my old irons even though the 0211’s are lofted stronger. 

Any low trajectory, low spin shaft suggestions that you all have used on the 0211’s?

Edited by Jsellers23

58 minutes ago, Jsellers23 said:

Anybody else that got the 0211’s with the Elevate Tour option having issues with distance? I hit the ball way too high (naturally a high hitter to begin with) and they seem to spin too much. Losing about a club length (more for PW and GW) from my old irons even though the 0211’s are lofted stronger. 

Any low trajectory, low spin shaft suggestions that you all have used on the 0211’s?

i play KBS tour (stiff) and while my ball flight is higher than my old clubs (Speedblades with FST 125) i don't see over spin and my distance loss is mainly from retooling my swing at this point. There are lower trajectory options but remember these are already lower spinning heads so make sure you work with a fitter and hit the windows you want to hit.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I've only been able to hit my new irons into a net with the original Mevo so far, but I am impressed.  The 6 iron in particular is very hot.  

I'm coming off Maltby TE Forged so these sets really couldn't be much different.  The TE Forged is a player's cavity back setup that is a single piece 5-stage forging and a 10+ year old design.  I have those shafted up with Dynamic Gold R300 and am playing off a 48* PW. 

The 0211's were bought off PXG from Ebay and have the MTT 80g stiff in them.  Lofts are basically a club stronger, interesting for graphite is that these are still normal stock length, but the head weight feels fine.  I have not swing weighted them.

I am not your usual WRX big hitter.  I was getting 104.3 mph ball speed average across 20 0211 6i swings yesterday with the better strikes at 105-109 (std dev 2.4).  The good strikes feel awesome, I could tell very clearly before the unit gave me numbers which strikes were good ones.  The Maltby 5 iron is starting to push my limits a little bit as mishits happen with a greater frequency, average ball speed of 102.2 (std dev 3.8) and that is with a 1/2" longer club.

The MMT shafts feel very nice. I didn't find them overly stiff and like the smooth kick, but I wouldn't pay $60 retail for them

I like the wider loft gaps in the 0211 set.  Good strikes were gapping with nice 10 yard increments 7i-PW and 7i on down the strike variance went down quite a bit.  6i/7i gap may be compressed, but I think that's because of my ball striking. 

Overall, I think the 0211s are outstanding based off first impression.

Dave

• Like 3

I have been testing the 0211's with the mmt for the past 3 weeks I'm coming from mizuno hot metals with the project x graphite shaft. I also have a set of g400 that are the easiest club i've ever hit but i can't stand all the offset. The 0211's feel like butter when hit flush and not bad on off center hits what is surprising the consistent distances. No hot spots and when you don't hit it flush you lose very little distance . I was just going to try them for the 30 day return is good and i live in az so there's no shipping but i just can't get them out of the bag

• Like 3