Koepka defends title; shows charisma with fist pump; glfwrx goes wild

tiderider

I am a golfer, and I enjoy seeing any golfer that is playing to his potential, which Brooks is at this time.

Fairways and greens is real drama to me. Thats the game. Whomever is playing , be it Tiger, Jack, Phil,

etc.... when a player is winning, rest assured, they are seeing fairways and greens

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

> @"North Texas" said:

> Just noticing that pace of play is not all that bad. Looks like it's going to be between about 4:10.

Tomorrow be faster.

Thats when the real crazies show up.

These guys wont want to take more that 10 seconds to hit or they hear,

"Lets goooo, while we're young!"

See, NY fans the solution to slow play ; )

• Like 1

> @"FIRs&GIRs&3-Putts" said:

> > @Cwebb said:

> > I want to see a list of guys currently on the PGA Tour, who some here would find "really entertaining", if they were doing what Koepka has done for the last two years. It must be a really short list

>

> Why would it be a short list?

>

> Most find Koepka's game to be comparatively uninteresting because he doesn't have the short game magic of other guys or the miraculous powers of recovery or the emotions of other guys. Koepka hits fairways and greens and doesn't blink an eye -- that's impressive but not overly entertaining to me at least. There aren't many guys on tour who don't at least have one of those things (magic short game, recovery skills, emotions) but Brooks (and DJ) is one of them.

>

> If Brooks finds golf boring why should we find his game entertaining?

Define "Most".

If you believe Brooks isn't perfectly invested, or isn't missing enough fairways and greens to make it exciting, that's on you, not him.

• Like 1

> @"FIRs&GIRs&3-Putts" said:

> > @dlygrisse said:

> > > @"FIRs&GIRs&3-Putts" said:

> > > > @fredstar said:

> > > > > @"FIRs&GIRs&3-Putts" said:

> > > > > > @Cwebb said:

> > > > > > > @"FIRs&GIRs&3-Putts" said:

> > > > > > > > @Cwebb said:

> > > > > > > > I want to see a list of guys currently on the PGA Tour, who some here would find "really entertaining", if they were doing what Koepka has done for the last two years. It must be a really short list

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Why would it be a short list?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Most find Koepka's game to be comparatively uninteresting because he doesn't have the short game magic of other guys or the miraculous powers of recovery or the emotions of other guys. Koepka hits fairways and greens and doesn't blink an eye -- that's impressive but not overly entertaining to me at least. There aren't many guys on tour who don't at least have one of those things (magic short game, recovery skills, emotions) but Brooks (and DJ) is one of them.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If Brooks finds golf boring why should we find his game entertaining?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm interested in your list

> > > > >

> > > > > OWGR

> > > > >

> > > > > 1. Dustin Johnson - for me, pretty much the same as Brooks. NO.

> > > > > 2. Justin Rose - not his biggest fan but he has a beautiful swing and acts as though he cares. YES.

> > > > > 3. Brooks Koepka - already explained. NO.

> > > > > 4. Rory McIlroy - not his biggest fan but the kid loves to win, great swing. YES.

> > > > > 5. Justin Thomas - wears his heart on his sleeve and goes for broke. YES.

> > > > > 6. Tiger Woods - do I need to explain? YES.

> > > > > 7. Francesco Molinari - meh. NO.

> > > > > 8. Bryson DeChambaeu - everything about this guy (minus pace of play) is entertaining. YES.

> > > > > 9. Xander Schauffle - gets it done through grit and determination, out of position a lot but fights and shows he cares. YES.

> > > > > 10. Rickie Fowler - never been huge on Rickie but he loves the game and has those special shots when he needs them. YES>

> > > > > 11. Jon Rahm - definitely wears his heart on his sleeve. YES.

> > > > > 12. Paul Casey - nothing particularly exciting about his game but he shows he cares. YES.

> > > > > 13. Matt Kuchar - ditto. YES.

> > > > > 14. Jason Day - has that amazing short game when he's at his best and shows he cares. YES.

> > > > > 15. Tony Finau - shows he cares. YES.

> > > > >

> > > > > I could go on but I think you can get the jist of why I like a lot of other guys more than Brooks.

> > > > >

> > > > > You don't have to care whether someone shows their emotions but it's one of the things I find exciting. It's not an anti-Koepka conspiracy it's just that many of us can't wrap our heads around how you couldn't understand why some people might not be overly fond of someone who finds golf boring. I can understand why people like Brooks but I can't understand how people can't understand why others don't like him. My favourite golfers are Tiger, Spieth and DeChambeau and I can assure you that I understand why many don't like them.

> > > > >

> > > > > None of this detracts from the incredible performance he is putting on.

> > > >

> > > > So you basically like anyone that "shows he cares"?

> > >

> > > Yes, and it's fine if you don't, I'm just trying to explain why I (and some others) prefer other guys to Brooks.

> > If he didn’t care, he wouldn’t put in the work necessary to be as good as he is.

> >

>

> Oh he cares in so far as he views it as his job and he works incredibly hard but caring in terms of the moment, the history, I don't see it as much as other guys. He's brilliant and it's not like I root against him or stop watching but I like to see the love of the game in a guys eyes when he's playing or once he is finished, I don't understand how you can just "get bored" in the middle of the round but it works for him and he plays incredible.

I agree with you in part. Brooks is a hard guy to root for if you're steeped in the traditions, majesty, and ephemeral beauty of the game of golf. He's entirely too dismissive of the game that's granted him riches and fame beyond his wildest dreams. For all the talk about how he's "jacked" and an "athlete," if he tried to play any other sport professionally he would get thoroughly embarrassed. All the great players of the past, including Tiger, have shown respect for the game itself. Brooks always tries to play it off like being a pro golfer is a joke and he's too good for it. For instance, yesterday the announcers were talking about how Brooks does bench press for reps before his tournament rounds and when asked if it was wise to be doing that and risking injury he said "I'm playing golf for five hours, I'm not worried about injury."

I'm not asking for him to display false humility because that wouldn't be who he is and fans would see right through it. But a more magnanimous attitude toward the game we all love is not asking too much I feel.

I disagree with you about watching him play however. It's exciting to see an individual so proficient at something so difficult even if I'm not 100% in love with the guy's attitude.

> @youdamantiger said:

> **Brooks always tries to play it off like being a pro golfer is a joke and he's too good for it.**

I mean...

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > @PumaAttack said:

> > This is the most boring major I can remember. Wow this is awful.

>

> If Tiger was winning by this much all his fanboys would be here proclaiming it's "the best ever"... :smile:

That was my point earlier. The fanboys are here. Just different boys. Why is it ok for one set and not the other ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> Boooooooring!

>

> I have not spent one minute watching this snooze fest. Sunday is unlikely to be any different.

>

> Brooks K. has all the sizzle of beige carpet.

Yep. Very uninteresting major. And the Preakness coverage wasn’t much better. Tonight for maybe 8 rounds we get a boxing match.

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > @PumaAttack said:

> > This is the most boring major I can remember. Wow this is awful.

>

> If Tiger was winning by this much all his fanboys would be here proclaiming it's "the best ever"... :smile:

Its a good thing TW isnt doing this.

The rioting on the course would cause an earthquake and ensuing tsunami that would engulf the entire eastern seaboard ; )

• Like 2

> @bladehunter said:

> > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > @PumaAttack said:

> > > This is the most boring major I can remember. Wow this is awful.

> >

> > If Tiger was winning by this much all his fanboys would be here proclaiming it's "the best ever"... :smile:

>

> That was my point earlier. The fanboys are here. Just different boys. Why is it ok for one set and not the other ?

Seven strokes up Tiger would still be playing with passion and a desire to bury the field by 15. Brooks looks like he doesn't even want to be out there most of the time.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > @PumaAttack said:

> > > This is the most boring major I can remember. Wow this is awful.

> >

> > If Tiger was winning by this much all his fanboys would be here proclaiming it's "the best ever"... :smile:

>

> That was my point earlier. The fanboys are here. Just different boys. Why is it ok for one set and not the other ?

Tiger has a hell of a lot more charisma then Brooks. Huge difference in this scenario.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @golfer07840 said:

> So Brooks shoots even and is still leading by 7. I see a lot of comments saying "this is boring" and I chuckle. Why? Because that is exactly how I felt during Tiger's dominant run between 2000-2004. Very ho hum.

Some people only like to see a specific guy to be dominant, all the others dominating are boring :D go Brooks!

• Like 3

@Lagavulin62 said:

> > @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > Boooooooring!

> >

> > I have not spent one minute watching this snooze fest. Sunday is unlikely to be any different.

> >

> > Brooks K. has all the sizzle of beige carpet.

>

> Yep. Very uninteresting major. And the Preakness coverage wasn’t much better. Tonight for maybe 8 rounds we get a boxing match.

Gonna be a great fight! I'll take Breazeale +575 just because anything can happen tonight. I think it'll go the distance.

> @thevaporz said:

> @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > > Boooooooring!

> > >

> > > I have not spent one minute watching this snooze fest. Sunday is unlikely to be any different.

> > >

> > > Brooks K. has all the sizzle of beige carpet.

> >

> > Yep. Very uninteresting major. And the Preakness coverage wasn’t much better. Tonight for maybe 8 rounds we get a boxing match.

>

> Gonna be a great fight! I'll take Breazeale +575 just because anything can happen tonight. I think it'll go the distance.

>

>

Well just to be on the safe side don’t miss the Russell fight. I have just never been impressed with Braezeale. Just too sluggish to me.

When you wAtch these tournaments you just come to realize what a great course Augusta is and what a great tournament. This is a sleeper this week, Brooks killing it again. Nothing wrong with that. I think Brooks will not play very well at Pebble due to smaller greens and tighter fairways and not so sure how Portrush will translate. The ratings for this tournament should be distressingly low. Not a big deal. Brooks gets it done.