Jump to content

I-500s; after using them for a while, anybody else loathe them ?


Recommended Posts

I've always been a Ping guy, and decided to go for distance and bought the I-500s. I cannot get them dialed in. I got the same shaft, flex and weight as my I-200s, but I get very inconsistent shot patterns and distances, and no feel. Anybody having these issues? I am about to pull the trigger on the I-210s unless someone talks me off the WRXer ledge !

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with you guys, and some of the complaints about this iron continue to be a mystery to me.   Sound and feel are personal and subjective things. Personally, I think that these clubs sound and

> @newyorker said: > I hit these on GC2 with my pro the other night and they felt amazing (in the Project X LZ shaft). Launch and spin was pretty much identical to the P790 but I much preferred

For me the i500 is a near perfect performing iron. The turf interaction is great, the height, distance and stopping power are fantastic and they are just a smidge less forgiving than the i200 I had pr

I feel your pain. I was suckered into getting the i500s after a fitting at True Spec (to be fair, they did a fantastic job with the driver, 4w, and hybrid). The i500s felt great during the fitting process, but once I actually got mine, they felt pretty terrible - very tinny. (My old but again current set is Nike Vapor Pros, which feel quite fantastic.) More than anything else, I just had no idea where I was hitting the ball on the face.

 

The other problem I had was with the distances. It’s fun to hit your 6i 210 and a PW 160… but ultimately it means that I had a 50+ yard (!!!) gap between my PW and GW. And that was with the “traditional” lofts - I can only imagine using the power spec lofts. I would literally need to carry 4 GWs to make that set up work. I guess I could learn how to feather a 165 club down to 120 - but it’s going to have a funky flight, spin, etc.

 

So I basically gave up on the i500s. It’s an interesting club/idea for sure. But basically it felt like I was replacing all of my irons with mini-hybrids. If you goal is brag about how much farther you can hit your irons than your friends, they are great clubs. But in terms of actually playing golf… not as great.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I purchased mine a few weeks ago and only have 3 rounds and a handful of range sessions but I love them so far. I’m an average (below average in WRX terms) distance player and got another 5-7 yards with these compared to my z565’s. They are a little harsh but that’s low on my priority. Paired with LZ’s they go high and very, very straight when I make solid contact. I haven’t noticed any gapping issues yet and seem pretty forgiving when hit on the toe, which is my miss. I love hitting the 3i....replacing my G400 hybrid for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting this. I am looking into a new iron set and love the i210. Since the i500 looks so similar and can give me more height I have been flirting with the idea of getting a set. I hit them a few times and while they performed great, I could not get over the feel/sound. Truly felt like a hollow, tinny iron. Coming from MP18 SC's, most other irons will not match the feel but the i210's feel much better IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

thankfully I only got the i500 six iron as a "tester". I have tried 8 shafts to make this head work - to no avail

Do not like the feel or performance at all

Anyone want a cheap head? Blend into 7-PW set of ping's???

  • Like 1


Ping G400 Max 11.1* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Blueboard 63x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Blueboard 73x
Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki ax400h 82x

Apex ‘16 5h 27* Mitsu KuroKage 90s

Mizuno 919t 6i - PW UST Recoil 95s
Ping Glide 50*, 53* & 59* wrx Recoil 110s
Ping Tour W 64* wrx UST Recoil 110s
Piretti Matera Elite
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't get a feel for them. Granted, the weather has been horrid, and I have hit some good shots but I've hit some shots that I thought were horrible that turned out fine. Then, I think I flushed one, right down the stack, only to flutter helplessly to the ground. And neither time did I feel any real difference. Just a clang and wait for the landing.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

The impression that stuck after I tested these was that I couldn't get a handle on the feel. It definitely did not feel like a cast club but it wasn't like a forged club either. As such, I couldn't tell if I liked them. At which point, I told myself if I can't tell if I like something, I probably don't.

I was more impressed with the G700. That club, at least, was everything advertised. I may not play it but I can appreciate it for what it is.

  • Like 1

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @IamMarkMac said:

> The impression that stuck after I tested these was that I couldn't get a handle on the feel. It definitely did not feel like a cast club but it wasn't like a forged club either. As such, I couldn't tell if I liked them. At which point, I told myself if I can't tell if I like something, I probably don't.

> I was more impressed with the G700. That club, at least, was everything advertised. I may not play it but I can appreciate it for what it is.

 

Where is the I500 supposed to fit in? It looks like a blade but it is obviously more of a GI/distance iron.

 

Also what is the deal with the G700? Where does that fit in compared to the i200/i210 and the G400/G410?

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7 TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be interesting to see what (if anything) Ping decides to do about a second generation i500.

  • Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @dpb5031 said:

> Will be interesting to see what (if anything) Ping decides to do about a second generation i500.

 

I would be interested in a second generation if it had a little more offset and could fit in with G410's, or i210's. At the moment, it seems iblade users are using an i500 for their longest iron.

  • Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @kiwihacker said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > The impression that stuck after I tested these was that I couldn't get a handle on the feel. It definitely did not feel like a cast club but it wasn't like a forged club either. As such, I couldn't tell if I liked them. At which point, I told myself if I can't tell if I like something, I probably don't.

> > I was more impressed with the G700. That club, at least, was everything advertised. I may not play it but I can appreciate it for what it is.

>

> Where is the I500 supposed to fit in? It looks like a blade but it is obviously more of a GI/distance iron.

>

> Also what is the deal with the G700? Where does that fit in compared to the i200/i210 and the G400/G410?

 

500 is a players distance iron.

 

I'd say the 700's are more super game improvement.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing the i500 this year (came from AP2) and really like them. Absolutely took some getting used to (especially with distances) but I've grown to really like the feel. Absolutely feel like I can trust the distances too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @kiwihacker said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > The impression that stuck after I tested these was that I couldn't get a handle on the feel. It definitely did not feel like a cast club but it wasn't like a forged club either. As such, I couldn't tell if I liked them. At which point, I told myself if I can't tell if I like something, I probably don't.

> > I was more impressed with the G700. That club, at least, was everything advertised. I may not play it but I can appreciate it for what it is.

>

> Where is the I500 supposed to fit in? It looks like a blade but it is obviously more of a GI/distance iron.

>

> Also what is the deal with the G700? Where does that fit in compared to the i200/i210 and the G400/G410?

 

From the marketing, in order of player to SGI, it goes iBlade > i210 > i500 > G410 > G700. So i500 is definitely in the players distance iron category.

G700 is SGI. I believe they literally were looking to use hybrid technology all the way to the wedges and the G700 is what they came up with.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @jly said:

> I've been playing the i500 this year (came from AP2) and really like them. Absolutely took some getting used to (especially with distances) but I've grown to really like the feel. Absolutely feel like I can trust the distances too.

"So, you're telling me there's a chance??"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent a lot of $ on my i500s and tried and tried and tried to make them work. I never consistently liked the feel (even after adding some hot melt to the cavities) and the performance was not there either (I played them for several months/rounds/range sessions). I've only had my F9's for a brief moment, yet am already substantially more comfortable with them (sound/feel/performance).

  • Like 2

PXG Proto X 9*
Cobra Speedzone 14.5* 

Callaway Apex 20*

Callaway Apex CF19 4-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* 56*

Titleist Vokey SM6 60*
Titleist Dead-Center 
Srixon Q Star Tour
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @ggpro said:

> Sorry to hear you don’t like them ....they are the best irons I have ever owned ! About 5 of my friends bought them by trying mine.

 

Yeah, I'm surprised at how polarizing they are. I had thought that a forged club by Ping would have been a slam dunk but it hasn't really turned out that way.

  • Like 1

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @IamMarkMac said:

>

> Yeah, I'm surprised at how polarizing they are. I had thought that a forged club by Ping would have been a slam dunk but it hasn't really turned out that way.

 

Well, they're not really forged clubs. But Ping says they are. So that's part of my problem with them; they have a very harsh feel.

 

Probably the single most serious case of buyer's remorse I've ever experienced with golf clubs. Nonetheless I'm playing pretty well with them, so it could certainly be a lot worse.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Ezgolfer said:

> Could not find the sweet spot feel on i500’s. Swapped with cobra because/cb. What a difference in just 2 range sessions.

 

that's it, I know it's there, but where ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have them, but a close buddy bought some over the winter. He's trying to make them love him, but he's struggled with them all year. He has some serious buyer's remorse. He had planned to buy new irons for a year. The i500s weren't on his radar, but what gave the best numbers at an indoor fitting.

  • Like 1

WITB (as of 7/24/20)
Srixon 585 10.5*
Callaway Epic 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon Z565 5-PW
Cleveland CBX 2 50*
Cleveland CBX 2 54*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 58*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I had hit the demo 7 iron on a few occasions with impressive results for me, centre strikes, decent feel I was sold. Picked up a set off a member, only the PW and 7 iron had been hit. My indoor/outdoor range testing and early spring course testing had me questioning my purchase big time. I couldn't hit a shot with them and was ready to sell them. I have had my share of many styles of irons and I have never been so stumped on a set of irons. Was thinking to self that I usually can hit just about anything to a certain degree so keep trying. Weather warmed up a touch so figured one more kick at the cat. Not sure what happened but all of a sudden these were the best irons I had ever hit. Hitting irons to areas I usually don't frequent. This particular course is so tight it's like playing golf in a phone booth. One has to be very precise in the iron department to keep a ball in play.

I was ready to sell every other iron set I own. Was ready to buy a back up set. Standard Ho move. lol.

As we all know reality creeps back into play and I'm having issues with the short irons. PW especially. These are the power spec models and I'm loving the 4-7 and possibly the 8. Just bought a set of i210's off another member and am waiting for there arrival. The PS i500 7 is so strong I am calling it my 6 iron, will a combo of those with 7-U wedge i210. Yup it's a sickness.......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Jkinluv said:

> **I did the same thing. I couldn't hit 500s for snot**. My dispersion was quite big. Moved to i210s and never looked backm

 

LOL

 

I'm not really a Ping guy but I think the i210 would be the model I would go for. They look really nice.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7 TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @mantan said:

> I don't have them, but a close buddy bought some over the winter. He's trying to make them love him, but he's struggled with them all year. He has some serious buyer's remorse. He had planned to buy new irons for a year. **The i500s weren't on his radar, but what gave the best numbers at an indoor fitting**.

 

You have to hit clubs outdoors and see the real world ball flight IMO. Indoor testing might be Ok to nail down a driver fitting where you are trying to find the best loft, weight setting maybe but surely you need to hit them outdoors to truly see how they will perform.

  • Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7 TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @kiwihacker said:

> > @mantan said:

> > I don't have them, but a close buddy bought some over the winter. He's trying to make them love him, but he's struggled with them all year. He has some serious buyer's remorse. He had planned to buy new irons for a year. **The i500s weren't on his radar, but what gave the best numbers at an indoor fitting**.

>

> You have to hit clubs outdoors and see the real world ball flight IMO. Indoor testing might be Ok to nail down a driver fitting where you are trying to find the best loft, weight setting maybe but surely you need to hit them outdoors to truly see how they will perform.

 

I totally agree. He was hellbent on going to Club Champion and getting the full fitting experience. While I get technology is great, I would never get fit for irons without hitting them off grass and seeing the actual ballflight.

 

  • Like 1

WITB (as of 7/24/20)
Srixon 585 10.5*
Callaway Epic 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon Z565 5-PW
Cleveland CBX 2 50*
Cleveland CBX 2 54*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 58*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have hit the i500 a couple times indoors at the simulator and couldn't get past the crap feel when you hit the ball.

 

I went with the i210's and I love them. While hitting them outdoors does help I believe that you can hit them indoors and still get a feel for how the ball feels coming off the club and that was important to me

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

G400 Max
M6 3W

RBZ Hybrid
MP20 MMC 4 Iron
MP20 MB 5-W
Raw SM7 53*

Raw Mizuno T20 58*
PM Grind 64*
Special Select Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @gators78 said:

> I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

To me, distance irons are a good idea. More than just distance, a lot of golfers need confidence and looking at the heftier head does inspire the feeling that you'll make contact and it'll fly whereas a leaner head will remind you that you better make a good strike or it will punish you.

If you're generally looking to score in the 80s, the variability won't kill you. You really just need to be around the green somewhere.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @jwb10 said:

> > @Ezgolfer said:

> > Could not find the sweet spot feel on i500’s. Swapped with cobra because/cb. What a difference in just 2 range sessions.

>

> that's it, I know it's there, but where ?

 

For me I feel like I found the sweet spot but didn't like it very much. To be fair, I didn't like the feel of P790s that much either so it could be that I just don't get along with hollow heads.

  • Like 1

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...