Jump to content

I-500s; after using them for a while, anybody else loathe them ?


Recommended Posts

> @gators78 said:

> I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

 

There are a lot of people who struggle with distance. My wife for instance probably swings her 7i in the 60MPH hour range. She needs the hottest faces and the lowest CG possible to get the ball out there. For the average guy on WRX, who's swinging a 7i 80+, distance irons probably aren't needed. But as you age and your swing speed slows having that help is going to be nice. Things like the i500 are for the person who is used to playing a blade or a players CB and needs the extra height and distance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with you guys, and some of the complaints about this iron continue to be a mystery to me.   Sound and feel are personal and subjective things. Personally, I think that these clubs sound and

> @newyorker said: > I hit these on GC2 with my pro the other night and they felt amazing (in the Project X LZ shaft). Launch and spin was pretty much identical to the P790 but I much preferred

For me the i500 is a near perfect performing iron. The turf interaction is great, the height, distance and stopping power are fantastic and they are just a smidge less forgiving than the i200 I had pr

Thought I was crazy when I tried these out in the store because I didn't like them at all. No feel, and what little there was felt pretty bad. I chalked it up to just not striking them that well as I demo'ed probably a dozen or more irons that day, but was really surprised by these. Ping is pretty consistent with their products but this one seems to have missed the mark.

  • Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Alpha 816 15* - Diamana B 80x
Adams MB2 Raw Tour Issue 4-PW - KBS CTaper 120
Bridgestone J15 50.08 - DG Tour Issue S400
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.09 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Milspec 350
Bridgestone Tour B XS

Link to post
Share on other sites

I too got lured in from a demo/fitting when i saw the distance numbers. But quickly realized those numbers were wildly inconsistent during normal play. And coming from a set mizuno mp-53's, the feel was just abysmal. Even when i would hit the ball good, everything just felt off. Unloaded the i500's bought a new set of jpx 919 tours, and instantly my confidence went back up, and played my best round of golf in the last 10 months.

TaylorMade SIM, Ventus Velocore Red 7X

Ping G425 5W, UST Attas G7 8X Tour Serial

Titleist TS2 23 Hybrid, Diamana S82

TaylorMade P7MC 4-PW, Project X LS 7.0/130

Vokey SM7 50/54/60, KBS Tour Custom White

Bettinardi, Studio Stock #2

Titleist, ProV1

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @arbeck said:

> > @gators78 said:

> > I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

>

> There are a lot of people who struggle with distance. My wife for instance probably swings her 7i in the 60MPH hour range. She needs the hottest faces and the lowest CG possible to get the ball out there. For the average guy on WRX, who's swinging a 7i 80+, distance irons probably aren't needed. But as you age and your swing speed slows having that help is going to be nice. Things like the i500 are for the person who is used to playing a blade or a players CB and needs the extra height and distance.

 

Little known fact about the i500 though. It has a vertical COG higher than most blades. Which is why most find it so hard to hit. Or why they say it “ feels terrible “. It doesn’t from the middle. But. The middle is hard to find because of the cog and sole.

  • Like 2

 

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @bladehunter said:

> > @arbeck said:

> > > @gators78 said:

> > > I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

> >

> > There are a lot of people who struggle with distance. My wife for instance probably swings her 7i in the 60MPH hour range. She needs the hottest faces and the lowest CG possible to get the ball out there. For the average guy on WRX, who's swinging a 7i 80+, distance irons probably aren't needed. But as you age and your swing speed slows having that help is going to be nice. Things like the i500 are for the person who is used to playing a blade or a players CB and needs the extra height and distance.

>

> Little known fact about the i500 though. It has a vertical COG higher than most blades. Which is why most find it so hard to hit. Or why they say it “ feels terrible “. It doesn’t from the middle. But. The middle is hard to find because of the cog and sole.

 

Does indoor testing hide the effects of VCOG? Even on these forums, lots of people seem to do well with it on the launch monitor but no so much outdoors.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @jwb10 said:

> VCOG,,explain ?

 

Layman’s terms is that the vertical center of gravity is slightly higher on the face than alot of irons. For a pure strike you need to get the center of gravity to or under the equator of the ball at impact. The higher it is on the iron the harder of is to do. Takes a Near perfect descending blow to launch the ball. Relatively speaking of course , and comparing to other irons which have the vcog very low on the face. I’ll find the thread that explains this best and post in a sec.

  • Like 1

 

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Foreleft said:

> Wait until people get their hands on the Blueprints. Could be all the above in a far less forgiving package.

 

 

Here’s the thing. It will be opposite. The blueprint has all its weight down low. So will be easy , peasy to launch. Just slightly less forgiving toeside. It’s a dance between weight moved high and toe , vs weight left down low.

  • Like 1

 

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @jwb10 said:

> VCOG,,explain ?

Vertical center of gravity. A low VCOG gives more margin for error in achieving a fairly solid strike even when you hit it a little thin. A higher VCOG requires a descending blow/bottom of the swing in front of the ball in order to put the impact higher on the face and deliver the desired feel and flight.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@IamMarkMac Read this thread tip to tail . It’s full of smarter folks than me explaining a lot.

 

 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18672826#Comment_18672826

  • Like 1

 

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tested the I500's yesterday again and they didn't even come close the the G410's. Man, when they first hit the streets I wanted them so bad.

  • Like 1

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Callaway Apex 21 , #4 Hybrid

Callaway Apex #5 Hybrid

Titleist 714AP2, 5-GW
Ping Glide
 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @gvogel said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > Will be interesting to see what (if anything) Ping decides to do about a second generation i500.

>

> I would be interested in a second generation if it had a little more offset and could fit in with G410's, or i210's. At the moment, it seems iblade users are using an i500 for their longest iron.

 

More offset? Yuck. This is a club for people who prefer the classic look of a blade. Ping makes the 400 and 700 series for people who don't mind the look of offset, thick top lines, large head size, wide soles and the like.

 

I have been playing the i500 for 8 months. I love them. Any dispersion problems that I have experienced lie with the golfer, not the club.

 

I am a low handicap player who grew up with the clean look of true, muscle-back blades (that loosened dental filings on off-center hits). Then I got old. It happens. I hate the look of game improvement clubs. The i500 is a club that suits my eye, is very easy to hit, that goes 10+ yards further. I am not a long hitter anymore, but I can easily hit this 7-iron 170 yards, and high, and the ball stops. I have no problem with sound or feel. I play graphite shafts. Hit them With a square club face and they sound and feel fine.

 

The i500 is my favorite iron ever, and I have owned my share of irons.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @bladehunter said:

> @IamMarkMac Read this thread tip to tail . It’s full of smarter folks than me explaining a lot.

>

>

> https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18672826#Comment_18672826

 

Interesting. So it does seem plausible then that certain mats make the ball sit up (which is often what I see at a store) which promotes a higher face strike, which then works in favor of the i500. If that ends up true, mystery solved on why the i500 is a launch monitor monster.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @IamMarkMac said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > @IamMarkMac Read this thread tip to tail . It’s full of smarter folks than me explaining a lot.

> >

> >

> > https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18672826#Comment_18672826

>

> Interesting. So it does seem plausible then that certain mats make the ball sit up (which is often what I see at a store) which promotes a higher face strike, which then works in favor of the i500. If that ends up true, mystery solved on why the i500 is a launch monitor monster.

 

I played them all winter.

 

They are also very good muddy weather clubs. You can get a cleaner strike when the ground is soft is what I’m saying. Now that it’s hard. Well. It’s hard. Lol. Which is why I couldn’t stay with them. I’d bet anything that ping fixes that the next generation.

 

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @bladehunter said:

> > @jwb10 said:

> > VCOG,,explain ?

>

> Layman’s terms is that the vertical center of gravity is slightly higher on the face than alot of irons. For a pure strike you need to get the center of gravity to or under the equator of the ball at impact. The higher it is on the iron the harder of is to do. Takes a Near perfect descending blow to launch the ball. Relatively speaking of course , and comparing to other irons which have the vcog very low on the face. I’ll find the thread that explains this best and post in a sec.

 

Honestly, the above seems highly plausible to me. You really have to ease into the swing, hit the middle and the ball just flies. I hit down on the ball. Very down, big divots. I love these irons. It's heating up, I'm getting used to them and distance is increasing. Hard greens still give me a little trouble, little much rollout on the longer irons. 8 and below, you can stop them pretty good. Cut through wind, and I find helping winds they can really ride as they go so high. Controllable, high, low, right left.

 

I even hit a few things tonight and they just rolled up to the same distance. When you hit it pure, they are just amazeballs. Heavy thud.

  • Like 1

PING G425 LST 10* Fuji XLR8 51

PING G425 Max 5Wd 16.5* Fuji XLR8 61

PING G425 Max 7Wd 20* Fuji Motore F3 70

PING i500 3-PW KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

Edel 46* DVR/52* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING Vault Anser 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @WarEagleGolf said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @jwb10 said:

> > > VCOG,,explain ?

> >

> > Layman’s terms is that the vertical center of gravity is slightly higher on the face than alot of irons. For a pure strike you need to get the center of gravity to or under the equator of the ball at impact. The higher it is on the iron the harder of is to do. Takes a Near perfect descending blow to launch the ball. Relatively speaking of course , and comparing to other irons which have the vcog very low on the face. I’ll find the thread that explains this best and post in a sec.

>

> Honestly, the above seems highly plausible to me. You really have to ease into the swing, hit the middle and the ball just flies. I hit down on the ball. Very down, big divots. I love these irons. It's heating up, I'm getting used to them and distance is increasing. Hard greens still give me a little trouble, little much rollout on the longer irons. 8 and below, you can stop them pretty good. Cut through wind, and I find helping winds they can really ride as they go so high. Controllable, high, low, right left.

>

> I even hit a few things tonight and they just rolled up to the same distance. When you hit it pure, they are just amazeballs. Heavy thud.

My experience is similar and I'm a picker who takes very little of a divot. Tend to hit the ball slightly lower on the head and towards the toe. Have no issues getting the ball in the air with LZ shafts. I agree with the longer irons getting a little too much rollout but I'm fine with that. While still in the infancy with these irons, I'm very impressed so far and I've been through a number of irons in the past few years (z565's, 919 HM's, 919 forged, CF16's, Steelheads, G30's, DBM's, PXG 0311's, MP-66's)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @jwb10 said:

> Now I’m getting more confused. I hit them better today by trying to stay down longer

>

>

 

I feel that I hit any iron better whenever I stay down longer.

  • Like 3

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the loathing was short lived. Went out this evening to hit a few balls with the i500's. Kinda cool out 54 degrees with a steady 23 mph wind. I usually struggle playing in the wind, but I was having decent results flighting the ball into the wind and was not having any distance varations down wind. The course was empty so I could hit multiple balls and was impressed with the distance consistency. I was having issues with the short irons last time out but tonight I couldn't have been happier with the entire set. Nice to see some lower handicappers happy playing the i500's, keeps chopper's like myself wanting to keep hitting them. Our conditions are pretty lush at the moment so hardpan is not an issue. I am still amazed every year that the Fn snow melts and this green stuff comes out of the ground, after a long winter it's a welcome sight.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on the fence with these for about a month. I loved them in the cold wet windy Louisiana winter, but struggled when things began to warm up. I realized my swing has gotten off track. This weekend I played the i500's Saturday and my forged cavity backs today. Although I hit the ball mid high with the forged CB's, I really like the higher but penetrating trajectory with the i500's. Although they play a club longer by the number on the bottom, loft for loft they're pretty close. With a semi-steep swing, I think for me, the challenging difference is the shafts. The DG105 S300 is more tip stiff than the shaft I've been playing for the past 5+ years and as a result I find I don't feel the release at the bottom and screw up my timing. A shaft change may be in the future. The jury is still out, but I'm loving the ball flight and control.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 775HS  3 hybrid  Wishon Black Hybrid Stiff

PXG 0211 5-9  DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  9-A  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked them but just sold them as I built some Miura cb2008 and they feel fantastic and are pretty forgiving. I could have played them as the results were great they just didn’t feel great when the sweet spot wasn’t hit. I’d have no problem going back to them. They do look great.


All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only played a few rounds with mine and i'm a big fan so far. Tried the Cobra SL and the trial about ruined my swing, so I'm hardly counting those.

 

So I'm really coming from some G25 with C-Tapers (i500 with LZ) and they're basically the same club in a sexier package from what I can tell so far. They're every bit as long as the SGI G25s and equally forgiving from what I can tell. Still working the swing back into order after the SL abortion, but I feel the confidence building with the i500s.

SIM2 - G410 LST - something random - G410 Crossover 20* - i500 5-W (5i 2* strong, 6i 1* strong) - MD 52*, PM 58* & 64* - F22
Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the i500's a couple weeks back at an outdoor demo event and struggled with them. For me they were difficult to launch, distance and dispersion were all over the place and good strikes were rare. For kicks I tried the i210 and wow. Easy to hit, felt great, and very consistent. Ended up getting a proper fitting and my 4-W set arrived this past Monday. Tonight is their first outing to the course for league.

  • Like 1

Signature!

 

Ping G425 Max 10.5

Ping G425 Max 5W

Ping G425 3H

Ping i210 4-W

Cleveland RTXZipcore 54 Mid & 60 Full Face

Ping 2021 Anser

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 3M Open - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #4
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #5
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #6
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #7
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #1
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #2
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #3
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #4
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #5
       
       
       
      TaylorMade MG3 wedges - 2021 3M Open
      Mizuno 225 2 iron - 2021 3M Open
      TaylorMade Mini Driver - 2021 3M Open
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 3M Open
      New Odyssey putter cover - 2021 3M Open
      Bettinardi wedges - 2021 3M Open
      Rypstick training aid - 2021 3M Open
      Bettinardi putters and covers - 2021 3M Open
      Kuch putting right armlock - 2021 3M Open
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 15 replies
    • 2021 TPC Colorado Champ. @ Heron Lakes WITB Photos- Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here...
       
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #1
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #2
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #3
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #4
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #5
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #6
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #7
       
      Titleist T200 2& 3 irons - 2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes
       

       

       
      • 16 replies
    • 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos- Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here.
       
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #1
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #2
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #3
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #4
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #5
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic
       

       
       
       
       
      • 15 replies
    • 2021 Travelers Championship - Discussion & Links
      2021 Titleist T100 irons (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      2021 Titleist T100S irons (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      2021 Titleist U 505 (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      Mitsubishi Tensei K series (red, white & blue US Open) shaft - 2021 Travelers Championship
       
      Rickie Fowler's custom Cameron putters - 2021 Travelers Championship
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 Travelers Championship
       
      2021 Travelers Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Travelers Championship - Tuesday #2
       
      • 20 replies
    • Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Discussion and Links
      Please put any question or comments here.
       
      Links to the galleries...
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       


       
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       

       
        • Like
      • 4 replies

×
×
  • Create New...