The Perfect Senior Bag Setup

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was fit for this entire set up just this year as I turn 60 next week. All regular flex shafts. G410 10.5 driver 5,7,9 FW 5,6 hybrid 7-P irons 50,54,58 wedges Putter Lots of Headcovers

I despise this with a passion. For my 25 years in golf I have had to listen to golfers say "I can't move up to that set of tees, I'm not 65 yet!" What the holy heck do those two things have to do wi

I'm 68 now and my enjoyment of the game went up tenfold when I moved up a set of tees. Most of my playing now is on courses that are between 5400 and 6100 yards. You still have to be able to chip and

> @platgof said:

> I have been trying to get the best clubs for my bag, that help myself to score better and work for a senior golfer. I have spent a small fortune on clubs and have finally settled on my current bag. For seniors the club requirements are totally different from the younger players. I need clubs that help elevate the ball and give me a chance to keep the ball in play. I would like to see your "senior set up" as well. So, what's in your bag?

In my Senior opinion standard sets may not work. Club gaps may be greater, 7 or 8 degrees. Fewer clubs in the bag.

67 and my setup is

Driver Mizuno st190 or Fusion at 10.5 + 1 with 65 gram stiff flex, heavy head weight. Light clubs don’t work for me.

17 degree 4 wood reg shaft

19 degree 5 wood reg shaft

22 degree 7 wood

5,6,7 rogue x hybrid

7-sw cobra f-max single length irons smacwrap graphite reg flex.

Perfect for me.

Bag for 2020,  Big Bertha Fusion with FuJi Ventus Blue 5, Mavrik  Max 5/7 Helium 5 regular, Big Bertha 2019 6 and 7 hybrid recoil esx 460 regular, Mavrik 7-gw,  Mizuno s18 56 aeroteck 125 regular, Toulon Austin 39”, Ball  Bridgestone b rx and Callaway supersoft.

> @Doublebuck said:

> > @platgof said:

> > I have been trying to get the best clubs for my bag, that help myself to score better and work for a senior golfer. I have spent a small fortune on clubs and have finally settled on my current bag. For seniors the club requirements are totally different from the younger players. I need clubs that help elevate the ball and give me a chance to keep the ball in play. I would like to see your "senior set up" as well. So, what's in your bag?

> In my Senior opinion standard sets may not work. Club gaps may be greater, 7 or 8 degrees. Fewer clubs in the bag.

@Doublebuck that's exactly what I found with my "senior set". As age helped slow my swing speed, my club gaps have moved from 3-4 degrees to closer to 8-9 degrees. I tend to play now with 7-9 clubs and try to adjust to be sure I have correct club for the par 3 distances. Fewer clubs does make it easier to walk.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

I’m 59 and have been using Reg flex graphite shafted irons for 12 years. I’ve had lots of neck and shoulder problems and mis hits with steel hurt too much.

Handicap and average score hasn’t changed much since I started golfing a lot 12 years ago. High 70’s-low 80’s with the odd 75. Usually play from tees 6100-6300 yards.

So I am surprised at the number of responses to this discussion where stiff shafts are still being successfully used. That’s great if you can do that.

Do none of you carry a bag of butterscotch candies in your golf bag? ?

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway BB Fusion 10.5 Reg
FW's: BB Fusion 5w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 6-SW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

> Do none of you carry a bag of butterscotch candies in your golf bag? ?

Is that a senior thing ? .....since I turned 60 , My cold weather flask has been filled with

Myers's dark rum with a shot of butterscotch schapps added for that Lifes Savers butter

rum flavor..... See clubs in my signature for " perfect senior bag" for single digit capper

still playing from the 6400 to 6800 yard tees....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

> @EBE-GOLFIN said:

> EBE 63 in July. Before I get into my bag makeup, I can't believe not one post of any SENIORS playing XXIO woods. I change golf equipment way too often. EXCEPT my XXIO woods. Can't replace them but I centainly try and often. XXIO driver, 3W and

> 3 & 4 hybreds have been in the bag for 4 years. My golf buddies can't believe it. Not that I havent tried. Just had a full bag fitting at Champions Golf (Master PGA fitters?).

> They found better numbers in the irons but when it got to the woods not entierly the case. Hit numerous hybreds but couldn't beat the XXIO numbers. Three (3) wood, they got better heigth and dispersion with the Ping 410 but jury is still out on that..?? As soon as he got the numbers on my XXIO driver, he said for your club head speed, I cant beat those numbers.

> I just cant get the XXIO woods out of the bag. I have tired numerous times.

> Driver XXIO 9.5, stock stiff

> 3W XXIO, stock stiff

> 3 & 4 Hybred, stock stiff

> 5-GW IRONs Ping G410 & Ping forged wedges 54* & 58*

> I have only had the Ping 410's for a week and just picked up the Mizuno Hot Metal Pro's yesterday. Gonna play both for 2 to 4 weeks unless it just shows to be a no-brainer decision. I have had 2 range sessions and 2 nine hole rounds with the 410's.

> Its way early yet, but they are jaw dropping. Heigth, dispersion and distance I still dont believe is real. Will be dating Miss Mizuno this week, today. Ok Ill be two-timing for who knows how long.. Both in Modus3 105 stiff, soft stepped 1 time.

>

I tried the XXIO driver expecting big things. It just didn’t work for me.

Great set of irons there you have to choose from.

• Like 1

:smilie_titty: TS1 9.0  Fubuki 45G Shaft
:smilie_ping: G410 5 & & FW Alta CB 65g
:smilie_ping: G410 4 hybrid Alta CB
:smilie_titty:T100S/T200 Jet Black Combo AMT Black R300 
Vokey SM 7 54/58

Vokey SM8 46*
TM Custom My Spider 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

• 2 weeks later...

67 here, 13-14 hi. Shafts are either heavy regulars or stiff---of course, shaft stiffness isn't consistent among the manufacturers, so it's all by testing, which is a pain.

Rogue 9 degree driver (lofted at 10)

TaylorMade M6 Draw 3 wood (16 degrees) (this thing's a bomber)

TM M6 19 hybrid

Ping G400 4 and 5 hybrids

TM 6-P M5 irons, Accra shafts (these clubs don't get talked about much, but they were fitted to me, beat out a bunch of others, and are working well)

Cleveland CBX wedges, 50 and 54

Callaway Sure-Out 58

Ping Sigma 2 Valour putter

63 (I put 62 then remembered it's 63, happens a lot these days). I've always been a short hitter, so I can't blame age for (all of) that, though I have certainly lost 10-20 yards in the last decade.

I have played several hybrids since hybrids were invented (circa 2000). I have always been a club junkie, so I bought what was the first, or among the first, hybrids: Mizuno Fli-Hi. I remember a golf lesson where my pro looked at my bag, pulled out the Fli-Hi, and said, "What the hell is this?". When I told her (pro was female) it was a "hybrid", she said: "Who would ever play a club like that?" Since then I've always played several hybrids, just found them more accurate and consistent than fairway woods, so for many years the 6 was my lowest iron. Just in the last year, dropped the 6 iron for a 27 degree hybrid.

For gapping, I don't have any issues with multiple hybrids going the same distance. I love the Titleist hybrids, in particular because they are so amazingly adjustable. That allows me to make some tweaks with loft, lie, and internal weighting to keep gapping good, also to add some fade or draw bias.

• Like 1

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
TM Sim Max 5 Ventus Blue Senior
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
TM Sim Max 7-SW Ventus Blue Senior
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity

67 -- I don't know what "perfect" is, but I have been making a few adjustments as I get older. This year I've moved up to a 10.5* driver to give myself a bit more height off the tee and I've put a softer shaft in my hybrid to bring it in higher on greens. So far, so good.

Titleist 917D2 10.5*
Titleist 917F2 16.5*
Titleist 917F2 21*
Titleist 818H1 23*
Mizuno JPX900 5-P
Vokey 50 & 58
Scotty NP2

> @pricenicky said:

> 66 year old 7 hdcp ( played 53 years and still no hole in one)

> Ping G400 10.5 with GD Vr 5 r 1 - 45.25

> TS 2 3 wood 15 with GD ad Fw 55. 43.00

> PXG 0311 xf 5 - pw with Loomis Tour Reg( 1994 model ) soft stepped 1x

> Ping 50 and 56 glide 2.0

> Bettinardi BB1 honeycomb

> Bridgestone B. RX

Hope you get that ace this summer!

Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
Ping G400 3W
Callaway XR OS 3H-7H
Ping G410 8-L
TM Spider X Copper 35”

I’ll be 50 soon and how I set up my bag depends a lot on the time of year and more specifically the turf conditions. If there’s plenty of lush grass to hit from I can carry all the way down to a 4 iron. If we’re talking tight lies, I may go all the way up to a 7H.

Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
Ping G400 3W
Callaway XR OS 3H-7H
Ping G410 8-L
TM Spider X Copper 35”

> @FLOGMR said:

> 73 years "young"...still playing off a H'cap that ranges between 1-4...currently a 3.4 at the start of this season...... Had full hip replacement surgery 6 weeks ago so not going to post any scores for a few more weeks :/

> Bag is....

> Driver ... Yonex Ezone Tri-G 10* "R" Yonex shaft

> 3-5 woods ... Yonex Ezone Tri-G 15* and 18* Yonex "R" shaft

> Hybrid ... Yonex Cyberstar XC+ 19* Yonex "R" shaft

> Irons ... Yonex Ezone Tri-G 5-GW Yonex "R" shafts

> Wedges ... Miura Tour Black.... 54*-60* Rifle spinner 5.0 shafts

> All grips are PURE Pro Standard blue

> Putter ... Miura KM 007..... Nippon prototype multi color shaft Super Stroke 2.0 Slim

> Works for me.....10% of my rounds last season were at my age or better! :D

Sir, you're an inspiration to us all. What length and level of difficulty is the course you normally play?

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Duffer.....I play a number of local courses....typically around 6200-6400 yards....average ratings probably around 69/120 to 71/130. The hip rehab is coming along really well......strength is returning. I walked the last 7 rounds with a 3 wheel push cart.....all scores in the 70's with the best being 74 (+2) so headed in the right direction B)

• Like 1

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Tri-G  3  wood
Yonex Tri-G  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

Age 68. Happy with my bag. All shafts are R except the 6-PW which are i70 A flex steelfiber. I might add the steelfiber that I went to in 2012 from steel when I got the Miuras (still in great shape) saved me from stopping playing with basal arthritis.

Ping G400 SFT Driver 12° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60

Ping G400 SFT 3 wood 16° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60

Ping Ping G 7 wood 20.5° Alta 65

Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70

Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70

Vokey SM6 49.07F; SM4 54.11M & 58.09S Steelfiber i80

Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB 34”**_

The bagged SM4 54 and 58 wedges are new condition recent finds from EBay, reshafted and MOI matched with i80 R steelfiber. Soft as butter compared to the newer Vokeys IMO.

Have spare SM4 more used but playable condition 54.11M, 56.11M, 60.07S so I'm good for a while. If that fails, I've got near-new SM6 54 and 58 with steelfiber that just didn't feel near as good to me.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°  Alta CB 55 R

Ping G410  5 wood (at 16.5°) &  7 wood ( at 19.5°)  Alta CB 65 R

Ping G410  22° & 26° hybrids  Alta CB 70 R

Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70 A

Vokey SM6 49.07F, 54.08M, 58.08M Steelfiber i80 R

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5  34"

• 4 weeks later...

_Update: Found a new condition G 5 wood on-line from Global Golf and it's in the bag as of today, replacing G400 SFT 3 wood. Stock Alpha 65 R that I already like in my G7 wood. I find the G's can go a bit left, so it's set at the small minus, basically a 4 wood length and loft. In a head to head (just in range bucket), it seems a bit longer carry and higher than my G400 SFT 16 degree, with some rollout. _

> @myspinonit said:

> Age 68. Happy with my bag. All shafts are R except the 6-PW which are i70 A flex steelfiber. I might add the steelfiber that I went to in 2012 from steel when I got the Miuras (still in great shape) saved me from stopping playing with basal arthritis.

> Ping G400 SFT Driver 12° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60

> Ping G400 SFT 3 wood 16° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60

> Ping Ping G 7 wood 20.5° Alta 65

> Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70

> Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70

> Vokey SM6 49.07F; SM4 54.11M & 58.09S Steelfiber i80

> Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB 34”**_

> The bagged SM4 54 and 58 wedges are new condition recent finds from EBay, reshafted and MOI matched with i80 R steelfiber. Soft as butter compared to the newer Vokeys IMO.

> Have spare SM4 more used but playable condition 54.11M, 56.11M, 60.07S so I'm good for a while. If that fails, I've got near-new SM6 54 and 58 with steelfiber that just didn't feel near as good to me.

• 2 months later...

I decided to update. I put the P790's back in the bag. The F9 fairway woods are awesome, as well the 5 and 6 OS hybrids. I am trying three drivers, the Immortal Fusion, F8, and a Gmax on its way. I have a very strong feeling the GMax will dethrone the Fusion, D K Y. Today the F8 was amazing, only missing the first fairway, go figure. It seems I should have given it more time, as I finally got the weighting spot on.

winter time, the pause that refreshes

Ping Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5,7 wds

RBZ 5,6 hybrids

G700 5-7 iron

Cobra F9 8-aw

MD5 54 10S

Toulon Columbus

Maxfli Tour

I will be 67 in two weeks I have two artificial hips still play from the white tees ( playing partners say I am to long to play from the golds ). Between the modern clubs and balls I am playing better golf than I did 30 years ago. I have always been a pretty good Iron player but eratic off the tee. The 400 max has put me long and straight in the short grass if I miss its in the first cut most of the time. Anyway my bag is in my sig.

Driver Ping G400 max 10.5 Distanza

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

> @slolane said:

> I will be 67 in two weeks I have two artificial hips still play from the white tees ( playing partners say I am to long to play from the golds ). ...

I've been having a wild summer with the long clubs, and my right hip is aching and stiffening up more than in the past. My pri care - also a golfer - X-rayed me last week and has prescribed orthopedic treatments. Could be physical therapy, cortisone shots (...or maybe a new hip?)

Anyway, my golf bag mix is shown below. If hip clears up I can reload the Callaway 815Alphas, otherwise return to more benevolent XRails. Right now I have the 4H flying only slightly longer than the 4i (hollow-headed with hybrid shaft). What I may do is rotate them (depending on course) and go back to 4 wedges.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @slolane said:

> > I will be 67 in two weeks I have two artificial hips still play from the white tees ( playing partners say I am to long to play from the golds ). ...

> I've been having a wild summer with the long clubs, and my right hip is aching and stiffening up more than in the past. My pri care - also a golfer - X-rayed me last week and has prescribed orthopedic treatments. Could be physical therapy, cortisone shots (...or maybe a new hip?)

>

> Anyway, my golf bag mix is shown below. If hip clears up I can reload the Callaway 815Alphas, otherwise return to more benevolent XRails. Right now I have the 4H flying only slightly longer than the 4i (hollow-headed with hybrid shaft). What I may do is rotate them (depending on course) and go back to 4 wedges.

>

> That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

>

>

>

>

Not much to dislike about those "benevolent XRails". Or any benevolent club at our age. I say stick to 'em. that's MY story and I'm sticking to it.

Age 69. 12-degree R-15 driver w/80g shaft...essentially a 2W. Steel shafted R15 3W and Wishon 915 5W. Cobra F7 OLs, 4-GW (1/4" long). 52-degree Volkey GW. 56/12 Wishon SW. Ping Anser 3 putter. Pro V1. Golfmetrics tells me my long game is scratch or better. Problems are long approach pitches (60-100) yards and putting inside 6ft.

age 67

see my signature

my iron 6 is out of my bag

i use my iron 5 for low ball under the trees or for punch ball in the rough

i play often my woods and rarely my irons

[b][size=4][color=#008000]PING G400 10.5° soft-R alta CB
PING G400 wood soft-R 5 (16.5°) 7 (20°) 9 (23.5°)
PING G le 2  wood   soft-R 7(27.5°)  9(31.5 °)
ACER wood 15 XDS 37°  UST mamiya MP 5 senior
PING I500 soft-R Alta CB 5 - UW    (22,5° 27°  32,5° 37° 42° 47° 52°)
PING Glide 3 eye2 60° alta CB soft-reg 
PING Sigma 2  FETCH [/color][/size][/b]

age 67

see my signature

my iron 6 is out of my bag

i use my iron 5 for low ball under the trees or for punch ball in the rough

i play often my woods and rarely my irons

[b][size=4][color=#008000]PING G400 10.5° soft-R alta CB
PING G400 wood soft-R 5 (16.5°) 7 (20°) 9 (23.5°)
PING G le 2  wood   soft-R 7(27.5°)  9(31.5 °)
ACER wood 15 XDS 37°  UST mamiya MP 5 senior
PING I500 soft-R Alta CB 5 - UW    (22,5° 27°  32,5° 37° 42° 47° 52°)
PING Glide 3 eye2 60° alta CB soft-reg 
PING Sigma 2  FETCH [/color][/size][/b]