The Perfect Senior Bag Setup

platgof

2 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

Good points. 'Self-policing' is an uncomfortable thing for many people, because they don't want to get into arguments. Last year we tried to encourage a 2some to pick up the pace and one of them started getting irate, filled with obscenities. So we backed off and let them get an entire hole of distance between them and our 4some only to have the one guy shout obscenities at us from the green they were on all the way back to the tee, where we were waiting (par 4). The pro shop was called and talked with the 2some and that seemed to calm things down. Self-policing? At your own risk.

Agree - you did the right thing by backing off...  Unfortunately, f2f, with people out of control, history has shown me not going the other way.  There's something in me that puts me into the fray, if only to protect others.  It's good, but bad too.  Have a good day.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On 2/6/2021 at 1:38 AM, Dan Drake said:

This is beautiful.  And I'm sorry if I came across poorly in my first post.  But all I want is for the game to be enjoyed and grow.  And one of the single worst impediments of that I see is people intentionally (ignorantly) playing from the WAY wrong set of tees.  So if I come across a bit brusque, I apologize.  I am a bit too passionate about this particular issue and I need to be less.   

Well I for one will defend you because I know exactly where you are coming from. Around here the age thing usually starts around 60 for senior tees and 70 and above play the green Super Senior tees. Around here can be 2 different demographics with it being both a tourist and retirement area. Now most of the locals here do not give two rips. Our regular club scramble team 3 of us are over 60 and one guy is in his early 40s. The guy in his 40s hits with us because he does not hit the ball far at all. No one at our club level cares. What the main gripe here is the young prim and proper tourist golfers. You know the type they show up prim and proper looking like they just stepped off a Tour Van with an arrogant attitude. They insist on playing the tips and can not hit a grounder past the ladies tees. They do not care if they hold everyone up making that 10 on a par 4. Rangers and management are no help either on the big tourist themed courses they are told "do not say anything to piss the tourists off" One of the reasons I have tended to stick with my home course. It is not that long or difficult compared to the bigger courses but we have so many local club groups we do not get that many tourists. LOL in tourist golf season you can hear the tourists in the restaurants at night. " That ( insert name) course ate our lunch today we played from the tips and I shot 115 and Joe here shot 120" You know to each his own but do not hold the whole course up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 2/6/2021 at 5:25 PM, hybrid25 said:

Well, whether or not you realize it or not, you gave me a big compliment. I drive the ball anywhere from 210-250, depending on how I connect. I can't use an iron lower than a 6i efficiently and compensate that with my hybrids. I don't think my game excels in any catagory, really, but when I shoot 90 or above I feel like I failed and should have done better. I am a 14 cap and if I don't shoot 85 or below (white tees) I am disappointed. Even when not playing often, you say he hits the ball straight, 200 yds with a 5i, so he has to be pretty good. If I had another club I could hit 200 yds straight consistently, the driver would stay in the bag most of the time. Not trying to dis him, it just seems he would score better with the stats you said.

He's kinda like me and his mom.  We're all natural athletes.  Even though he doesn't play today, he's appreciative of having the fundamentals down from lessons.   He hits the ball big, but scoring takes a lot of practice time that he doesn't have now, maybe later.  His mother and I care more about the kind of father and husband he is.   Golf is just not that important.

• Like 3
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On 2/6/2021 at 8:25 PM, hybrid25 said:

Well, whether or not you realize it or not, you gave me a big compliment. I drive the ball anywhere from 210-250, depending on how I connect. I can't use an iron lower than a 6i efficiently and compensate that with my hybrids. I don't think my game excels in any catagory, really, but when I shoot 90 or above I feel like I failed and should have done better. I am a 14 cap and if I don't shoot 85 or below (white tees) I am disappointed. Even when not playing often, you say he hits the ball straight, 200 yds with a 5i, so he has to be pretty good. If I had another club I could hit 200 yds straight consistently, the driver would stay in the bag most of the time. Not trying to dis him, it just seems he would score better with the stats you said.

At my former club we had a guy in his late 70s who besides the driver , putter and 2 wedges carried all hybrids. Now he only carried about 6 hybrids if that. Really that was all he needed because he could really utilize those. He never played golf until he retired and moved here. He could hit some hybrid shots I have never seen anyone else hit. He told me the hybrids saved the game for him. He regularly shoots his age or better from the senior (yellow tees). I have not seen him in the last 14 months since our course closed.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

At my former club we had a guy in his late 70s who besides the driver , putter and 2 wedges carried all hybrids. Now he only carried about 6 hybrids if that. Really that was all he needed because he could really utilize those. He never played golf until he retired and moved here. He could hit some hybrid shots I have never seen anyone else hit. He told me the hybrids saved the game for him. He regularly shoots his age or better from the senior (yellow tees). I have not seen him in the last 14 months since our course closed.

I aspire to be like that guy, except still playing my current setup, I hope... lol

• Like 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

Agree - you did the right thing by backing off...  Unfortunately, f2f, with people out of control, history has shown me not going the other way.  There's something in me that puts me into the fray, if only to protect others.  It's good, but bad too.  Have a good day.

One of the guys I golf with is very assertive with letting slow players know they are playing slow. He will call them out vocally 200 yds out and let them know. I cringe a bit because I am one who shies away from confrontations, but not him. He does it tactfully, but lets them know plainly that they are holding up the course. Another friend who calmly told another twosome that they were slow almost go punched out for it. Go figure, but you never know how some will respond.

• Like 2

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

8 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

One of the guys I golf with is very assertive with letting slow players know they are playing slow. He will call them out vocally 200 yds out and let them know. I cringe a bit because I am one who shies away from confrontations, but not him. He does it tactfully, but lets them know plainly that they are holding up the course. Another friend who calmly told another twosome that they were slow almost go punched out for it. Go figure, but you never know how some will respond.

I thought that's why they invented course marshals 😉, unfortunately not all courses have them.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

12 hours ago, 5baytjd said:

I thought that's why they invented course marshals 😉, unfortunately not all courses have them.

Unfortunately course marshals are pretty much non existent on many courses. 

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Hybrid25, how are the Mavriks working out for you. I especially like the 4 wood(16.5*.) I just got a 6 hybrid, and hope not to get a 7 soon! The Ping G 410 hybrids have me won over big time. I was just about to give up on hybrids when i got these. The 5 hybrid is amazing, so I now have a 4 and 6 as well. They get up easily, decent distance, and are lasers to the pin. I am looking at the Epic Max 5 and 7 wood, and then hopefully take a break buying clubs. Phhh!

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

20 hours ago, platgof said:

Hybrid25, how are the Mavriks working out for you. I especially like the 4 wood(16.5*.) I just got a 6 hybrid, and hope not to get a 7 soon! The Ping G 410 hybrids have me won over big time. I was just about to give up on hybrids when i got these. The 5 hybrid is amazing, so I now have a 4 and 6 as well. They get up easily, decent distance, and are lasers to the pin. I am looking at the Epic Max 5 and 7 wood, and then hopefully take a break buying clubs. Phhh!

Platgof - Based on your continued enthusiasm for your Ping G410 hybrids, I just pulled the trigger on a 5H as an update for my Ping Anser 27*!

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

I bought two more after playing the G410 5 hybrid, the 4 and 6. You are about to fall in love with this club. You will look at the flat head and wonder how it gets the ball in the air, until you hit it. I also am going to try out the Epic Max 5 wood and see what all the hype is about. The Epic Flash is almost impossible to find at a good price, so I went ahead and got the Epic Max 5 wood. I am so excited to have clubs like the G 410 hybrid in my bag as they are game changers!

• Like 3

Bag is in overhaul mode

66 year old here,

Titleist  718 10.5 Driver

Titeist  718 16.5 & 18 & 21 fairway woods

Titleist  718 AP 1  5-GW irons

Vorkey 52 & 58 wedges

Scotty Cameron  T22  NP 2  -  Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 2021  coming soon.

Use mid size grips on all, arthritis in the hands.

Edited by Golfdoctor
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 2:02 PM, misterkye said:

Not quite what I was expecting to find in this thread. Seems like we gots some super seniors in the wrx! 

Been trying to get my dad to move off of jdm irons and into the world of some super game improvement, or at least a set of distance players irons. He's a lefty, he's got a beautiful swing, but his age has caught up to him as he can no longer get it in the air, like he used to. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Got him a set of Tayloramde M-CGB irons, but was turned off by the shape of the iron heads. Want him to try the P790's but came to wrx to find some recs and stumbled upon this thread. Any help is appreciated!

Callaway APEX 21 - according to Callaway, more forgiving than they look. Find him some graphite 95g shafts - I play Accra i95 constant weight - they get airborne with my HMB's. And I like the heavier or consistent weight in the short irons.

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I'm 70 this fall.  I've been pushing a cart for many years (unless the hills are too scary) and last season I went with a 2.5 lb carry bag and a half set.  I ended up a couple of strokes better than with the whole set.

Rogue Driver (which I expect to replace this year).

Rogue 5 hybrid

Rogue X irons: 7,9, GW and a 52 degree Mack Daddy wedge

Spyder putter

I need to add a club between the driver and hybrid (3H, 5W, 7W?).

I think your comfort level is most important.  For a while I carried the 4 H instead of the 5, but I found it too difficult to throttle back for 165 yard shots. My 5H averages 180, so anything longer than that is obviously a problem - but so is weight. I usually play the senior tees and want to add one more club for par 5's and the occasional tee shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to play the whites, as the golds are too short. The scores went up, but all of us needed the extra challenge. What a gorgeous day. A little chilly, but the jackets slowly came off. I hit the Epic Max 5 wood, and it is long. I mean really long. I was hitting it 180, 185, and that is long for me. It has a draw bias no doubt. I finally got used to it, and was hitting great shots with it. Had to air mail some trees up ahead, absolutely no problem. If my short game just showed up, as in no touch around the greens. Every time I went up, the ball was further ahead with the Max, really like that. The course I played on is one of my favorites, Eastland Green in Clarksville, Tenn. The only beef was this group ahead that was playing 6 in there group, really people. This is the second time I have had this problem here.  The G 410 Ping 6 hybrid is amazing, it is almost like cheating. The 5 hybrid is just as good, awesome clubs. I struggle with the 4 hybrid, but time will tell. 

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 2/9/2021 at 12:14 PM, hybrid25 said:

I used to have highly tuned close quarter martial arts skills.  They were important for when I was in-country.  Since adolescence, I have been one that steps in mostly to protect others.  Whether good or not so, I've been up close and personal with some real sleaze balls. 

I understand how you feel though.  My wife and some close friends feel the same, only they know I will do what is needed, often cause others won't or can't.  You're right you never know about people.  Its kinda like my golf game, at my age, men much younger don't see me as a threat mostly due to my age... Oh, what they don't know.... 😛

• Like 2
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Played today and the Epic Max 5 wood did it's job just fine. The ground dried up and was giving up some roll. I had one drive that went 237 and that was a surprise. I struggle with the 4 hybrid and do much better with the 7 wood. The 5 hybrid is doing just fine as well as the 6 hybrid. I put the Apex irons in to see if I want to play them again, and they are really great irons. I also put the Spyder center shaft putter back in the bag as well, and made some great putts from 5 feet out. I am going to stick with this bag for at least a month to see if I can get something going. My biggest problem right now is the short game.

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 1 month later...

It is amazing what some time getting used to a club can do. The G 410 4 hybrid has come full circle, and is in the bag for good. I have found the perfect club to shoot under trees. I have been working on my swing trying to get the lag right, and the benefits are amazing. I had one drive that measured 265, my longest ever! Warmer weather and a dry clay ground does amazing things. I am also hitting my clubs longer than before. I hit the 5 wood 180 several times now, and the 7 wood 170. This is long for me. I also hit a 9 iron 140? that is my 110 shot. So it looks exciting if this continues and better controlled. I have ordered some Ping 425 irons soon to arrive in 4 weeks. My bag is nearly all Ping now. The driver really woke up with the TFC 419 shaft. I really hope this ends my iron search and I can concentrate on other things. Age related mental health issues are "what they are," you learn to adapt and accept one's limitations.  It is just part of life. Being in the hospital three times lately wakes one up quickly, take care of the body, you only get one. Played 15 holes after work yesterday, and did okay. the ground was wet from a down pour Sat, so less roll out. I still hit some long shots though. Maybe if the mental side improves, it could be a great year. 

• Like 2

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 2 weeks later...

Played nine today and just took it easy and did not get excited about anything, then shoot 41. All the clubs were on except the 5 wood. The F9 7 wood is a beast, it just performs and goes. I can easily rely on it. Had a blast hitting just about everything. Made some mental errors, but that is the usual. The weakest club for me is between the ears at times.

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 2 months later...

Current bag

Driver Srixon Z785 10.5 degrees

3 wood Callaway Epic Max 15 degrees

Hybrid # 3 Callaway Apex 19 degrees

Hybrid # 5 Callaway Mavic 23 degrees

Irons Srixon 585, graphite shafts-regular 5.5

Wedges Vokey SM8 50, 54 & 58

Putter Odyssey Black Stroke Lab # 7

I am really happy with this set up. I get good distance and can shape my shots. If I hit a bad shot, it’s always my fault. 

Good luck in your search. 

3 hours ago, John76 said:

Ping and Orlimar fairway woods cover me from 200 to 105 yard carries. 9i, U, S, L for 90 to 25 yards. 12 Handicap.

spacer.png

That looks about like my friend's bag I describe a few posts back--- I do not think he has as many hybrids as you do and he does not use covers but then again he does not have nice Pings like you do his are well beat up and different brands

• 2 weeks later...

I am 57 and this year I had to make reluctant changes and except the fact that I can’t generate the speed needed to get a 3w off the deck very well. I had to go up in driver loft from 9* to 10.5 yet I am in that funk zone between R and S flex so I had to try different S flex driver shafts to find the right bend profile that works and still get 240 yds carry. Settled on the Adilia black 95 msi, what a nice shaft. Went with 4w and 7w set up and play KBS tour $taper stiff in my irons. I play traditional lofts and still carry good numbers for now. 4i 22* - PW 46* sure this will change in the next 3 to 5 years but I have been dropping some weight and working on flexibility and strength. I love golf enough to go to the gym ( I hate lifting weights, did a bunch of it in my 20’s and 30’s ) but if that’s what it takes to keep me playing this wonderful game I will do it. 
Ping g410 driver

Ben Hogan 4w ( Money )

Titliest 915f 7w

Ben Hogan PTxPro irons 4-PW ( Absolutely one of the best irons I have ever Played )

Vokey wedges SM7 52*, 56* & 60*

Scotty Cameron Square Back 1.5 putter

DAC7163A-7DBD-4647-AD94-5EC2B19ED1FF.jpeg.0c067a4fd841c2f4d051d68b2fd3dc6a.jpegI

35D2E18B-2288-48BF-8C6F-826204D9E99E.jpeg

Edited by DShark1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DShark1 said:

I am 57 and this year I had to make reluctant changes and except the fact that I can’t generate the speed needed to get a 3w off the deck very well. I had to go up in driver loft from 9* to 10.5 yet I am in that funk zone between R and S flex so I had to try different S flex driver shafts to find the right bend profile that works and still get 240 yds carry. Settled on the Adilia black 95 msi, what a nice shaft. Went with 4w and 7w set up and play KBS tour $taper stiff in my irons. I play traditional lofts and still carry good numbers for now. 4i 22* - PW 46* sure this will change in the next 3 to 5 years but I have been dropping some weight and working on flexibility and strength. I love golf enough to go to the gym ( I hate lifting weights, did a bunch of it in my 20’s and 30’s ) but if that’s what it takes to keep me playing this wonderful game I will do it. 
Ping g410 driver

Ben Hogan 4w ( Money )

Titliest 915f 7w

Ben Hogan PTxPro irons 4-PW ( Absolutely one of the best irons I have ever Played )

Vokey wedges SM7 52*, 56* & 60*

Scotty Cameron Square Back 1.5 putter

DAC7163A-7DBD-4647-AD94-5EC2B19ED1FF.jpeg.0c067a4fd841c2f4d051d68b2fd3dc6a.jpegI

35D2E18B-2288-48BF-8C6F-826204D9E99E.jpeg

Those are some nice looking sticks, I have a similar setup with driver, 4 and 7w and 4-P. I am 56 and have back issues and lift weights as well to be able to play. I have always like Hogan's irons but felt like forged blades are a little bit much for me and have settled on mostly small cast cb's. I recently switched to some old DCI 990B's and I can't believe how good they feel being 17-4. They also really have nice lines which give me confidence.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Chipa, those Ben Hogans are Cavity irons, very forgiving clubs. The look is awesome your not the first person to say they look more like blades. They are soft with a nice buttery feel and a great sound when you strike the ball. You don’t lose much distance on mis hits unless you fatty them. The V sole cuts through the turf. Very easy club to get in the air. 

• Like 1

Made some changes to the bag. Added TM Sim Max 5 and 7 woods. I do not hit a five wood off the deck very well, so it will be for my tee shots only. I also went back to the Ping G irons I had sitting around. They are not long, but I did great Sat with them.  The best part with the G's is the touch around the greens, amazing. I just kept hitting GIR all day, from 7 to pw. I went ahead an ordered a U or gap wedge to add to the set. Added a lob wedge, SM7 58* D grind, but will probably never hit it. Played a new course sat and shot 80, my personal best, so these must be working out. 

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

I am 65. My just added signature below reflects my current bag. Some recent changes include:

1. Mavrik Max 5,7 and 11 fairway woods, which replaced my Epic Flash HW and 9w
  2. Dropped the G410 5H because I hit the 11w better
  3. Added Cleveland CBX2 54* and 58* wedges, which replaced my Glide 3.0 Eye-2 56*. The 54* is the best wedge I have ever hit out of the sand, bar none.
  4. Gone back to my Bettinardi BB56

13 clubs which I am very happy with 😀!

Edited by Bob M
clarity
  • Like 1

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5