2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Perfect Senior Bag Setup

platgof

62 years old. Regular flex or R+

Driver: Ping G425 Max 5.5 Project  X Evenflow Blue set to 9 degrees

FW : Adam’s tight lie 3 wood 16 degrees

Hybrids : 3 thru 5 Callaway Epic Flash: 6 Big Bertha 2019 .

7 - GW : Mizuno Hot Metal with KBS Tour 

SW: 56 degree Cleveland CB 2 

Putter: Taylormade Spider X 

Thinking about getting  Titleist 54 and 60 degree and swapping out 56 degree wedge for 14 in bag but waiting on that.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

6 minutes ago, platgof said:

I have yet to figure out how to be effective with the 58* wedge. 

My 60 degree wedge is only a thought. Never could hit one when I had one years ago. 

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

69 years old ( not a founder or CEO )

Nike ignite driver - stiff

SLDR Mini-16--regular

RBZ 7 wood-regular

Tour edge Exotics XCG hybrid -22 regular

xxio prime 4-pw  - regular

Ping eye 2 becu pitching and sand wedges

Acushnet bullseye or Scotty Caliente

Depending on course- my use Mizuno hi fli hybrids and Hogan Riviera and sure out wedges

Age 70. This works for me (see signature) .   G425 7W just ordered. I feel the upgrade from the G410 driver and 5W was a good  move, hopefully it will be the same for the 7W.

Regarding a couple of above comments about not finding 58 or 60 wedges playable.  I'm wondering if static weight could be part of the problem? i.e if using steel shafts.   With basal arthritis I moved to steelfiber in all irons and wedges 10 years ago. Just recently moved to Recoils with the Ping clubs. I've always had a 58 or 60 in the bag since I went graphite and find them useful even for touch shots around the green at times.  i couldn't "finesse" wedges with steel shafts now.

I just got my Ping G U wedge in and put a Plus 4 grip on it, mid size for my arthritic hands. I have been wanting this and finally seen one on Ebay, at a great price from a seller in Sarasota, where I attended High School. Have been practicing with it, and hope to use it soon. I have been playing a lot of golf and my scores are showing it. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

1 hour ago, platgof said:

I just got my Ping G U wedge in and put a Plus 4 grip on it, mid size for my arthritic hands. I have been wanting this and finally seen one on Ebay, at a great price from a seller in Sarasota, where I attended High School. Have been practicing with it, and hope to use it soon. I have been playing a lot of golf and my scores are showing it. 

I knew it.....you taught Zing that strong left handed grip

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

To make it crystal clear, a senior golfer is one who has reached the age of 50. Unless your golf course doesn't lower the green fees until the age of 60. Some however wait until 62. Other courses make it 65. There is a course near me that says you must be 80. Depending on how you feel about it, you can either pay the standard fee and not tell them your age, or cash in at the lower fee, even if it's January... Finally, some people say a senior golfer is when you feel you can no longer keep up with your chronological age group, again, some in their 20's would then beg to be included in paying the senior fees. 😊

Having said all that, at 70, I'm now a senior, and haven't played for 2 years due to getting foot drop on both sides and having to wear CFO braces. It's been difficult to not play because of a balance issue, and I thought I would never play again. My grandson (who has never played before) called me last week, and invited me to play at a scramble his church is having on the 21st. He knows I used to play pretty well, and he wanted me to be on his team. At first I told him I don't play any more due to my foot drop. But I got my clubs out, and went to the range, and found that I could still hit the  ball fairly well after all. So I will be playing in the scramble now, hopefully to help him learn a little about golf more than anything. 

So, I know I will be dealing with some distance loss, and I am trying to remember which clubs I used the most. 

Of course I will use my old clubs and I'm looking for some advice on the clubs most used by older guys who have been humbled a bit by age and loss of some power. I used to be able to really smack the ball with good location as well. Now I was still able to hit the spots I wanted to hit, I just will not care about distance. So, like many, I have a few extra clubs to choose from, for me it is wedges. A few that seem to overlap each other and so now they seem to be redundant, and I would like to only pick the ones that I would really use. 

I have two drivers, Ping G 10.5* and G30 12* which I will use the 12*

Ti30 3 and 5 fairway woods and also a G 7 wood, and I think I won't take the 3 wood

Ping G15 irons 4-U  I probably won't take the 4 iron or the U wedge

Titleist wedges 46  48  52  54  58 60

Ping Anser 4 putter

So with an abundance of wedges, I'm wondering what other seniors would use, or what clubs are you finding you use the most now, and what clubs are you not using at all?

• Like 1

60 years old, and since accepting I am no longer young and changing my set makeup accordingly I have reached my lowest handicap ever.

Driver: Mavrik 10.5 with Hzrdus Smoke.

4 wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (shorter shaft)

3 hybrid: Ping G410 Alta S 19* (set to fade)

4 hybrid: Callaway Epic Flash Ventus 7S 21* (draw)

5 hybrid: Epic flash 24* (straight)

6 hybrid: Epic Flash 27* (straight)

7-PW: Cobra Forged Tec Copper Modus 105S

GW: Cobra MIM Tour Copper Modus 105S

SW: CBX 2 54

LW: CBX FF 58

Putter: PXG One & Done

• Like 1

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

21 hours ago, SixtySomePing said:

To make it crystal clear, a senior golfer is one who has reached the age of 50. Unless your golf course doesn't lower the green fees until the age of 60. Some however wait until 62. Other courses make it 65. There is a course near me that says you must be 80. Depending on how you feel about it, you can either pay the standard fee and not tell them your age, or cash in at the lower fee, even if it's January... Finally, some people say a senior golfer is when you feel you can no longer keep up with your chronological age group, again, some in their 20's would then beg to be included in paying the senior fees. 😊

Having said all that, at 70, I'm now a senior, and haven't played for 2 years due to getting foot drop on both sides and having to wear CFO braces. It's been difficult to not play because of a balance issue, and I thought I would never play again. My grandson (who has never played before) called me last week, and invited me to play at a scramble his church is having on the 21st. He knows I used to play pretty well, and he wanted me to be on his team. At first I told him I don't play any more due to my foot drop. But I got my clubs out, and went to the range, and found that I could still hit the  ball fairly well after all. So I will be playing in the scramble now, hopefully to help him learn a little about golf more than anything. 

So, I know I will be dealing with some distance loss, and I am trying to remember which clubs I used the most. 

Of course I will use my old clubs and I'm looking for some advice on the clubs most used by older guys who have been humbled a bit by age and loss of some power. I used to be able to really smack the ball with good location as well. Now I was still able to hit the spots I wanted to hit, I just will not care about distance. So, like many, I have a few extra clubs to choose from, for me it is wedges. A few that seem to overlap each other and so now they seem to be redundant, and I would like to only pick the ones that I would really use. 

Ti30 3 and 5 fairway woods and also a G 7 wood, and I think I won't take the 3 wood

Ping Anser 4 putter

So with an abundance of wedges, I'm wondering what other seniors would use, or what clubs are you finding you use the most now, and what clubs are you not using at all?

I usually don't play wedges above the sand wedge. I also chip mostly with the 9 iron unless carry is involved. I play 7 wood off the deck and 5 wood off the tee when needed.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Ping Anser 4 putterunlyuss you are in lo

I'm 70 too, but it sounds like you had more game than I do now. So take this FWIW.

By my count you have room for three wedges and you have decided against the UW.  Short game touch is the hardest to come back after a layoff probably so prior comfort with the wedges you take is probably good.   I see the standard spec for G15 PW is 45. So unless  you want to drop that too (and take the Titleist 46)  maybe you want the 48, 54 and 58 ?  If the 52 or 60 were favorites when you were playing, then go with them.  Bounce on expected course  conditions and hard or soft bunkers matter to some more than others. If I didn't know, I'd take one low bounce wedge if I had one in case. (The church event might not be on a prstine course wiith well- sanded bunkers? )

71 years old, 13 handicap.

Titleist TSi2 10 A1 Tensei AV Blue 55 R
Titleist 917F 16.5 A1 Diamana Blue 70 R
Titleist 917F 21 A1 Diamana Blue 70 S
Titleist 718 AP3 4-48 Tensei CK Red S
Titleist Vokey SM7 52 Steel
Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Steel
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 / Special Select Squareback 2

Edited by blkjazz

Titleist TSi2 10
Titleist 917F 16.5 
Titleist 917F 21 
Titleist 718 AP3 4-48 
Titleist Vokey SM7 52 
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 
Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

On 8/11/2021 at 8:07 PM, huntingskeetman said:

66yrs old, 10-12 handicap

PXG Gen4 0811X, 9 degree, Evenflo Riptide CB 50 stiff

Cobra F8 3W set to 15.5 degrees

Cobra F9 3 hybrid 19 degrees

PXG 0211 4-SW Elevate 95R shafts

Vokey SM8 60 degree lob wedge

PXG Gen1 Mini Gunboat putter

I'm not playing for cash with this playa!!

Bag is in overhaul mode

I am falling in love with my Sim Max 7 wood!!! I paid full boat for it new; as they are hard to find, and there is a damn good reason why they are so hard to find.  It is a freaking laser show every time I hit it. I cannot hit the 5 wood off the deck to save my life, but don't really need to. Today the 7 wood was my best club followed by the driver, putter, and then the a wedge.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

69 years old , index 11

iron 5 or 6 depending courses 

iron 5 only  for low balls under trees

distance > 130 yards , i play a wood , full swings with my woods , varying distance with grip 

no full swing with my irons

my woods G Le2 are 1/2inch longer and add some lead under the head for same swinweigt my G400 

1/2 swing  max with my 60  (50 yards max)

2/3 swing max with my 54   (70 yards max)

Edited by phil59
  • Like 2

PING G425  max driver   10.5°    Alta-quick 35g soft-R  

PING G425  SFT  wood 3  5  7 ( 15° 19°  23°)       soft-R  DISTANZA

PING G le 2  wood     7(27°)  9(31°) Alta CB soft-R (+0,5" and some lead under the head)

PING G430 hybrid  7 (35°)

PING I500 soft-R Alta CB 5 - PW (22,5° (27°) (32,5°) (37°) 42° 47° ( 52°) )

PING Chip-R  soft-R Alta CB (38,5°)
PING Glide 3 eye2 54° 60° Alta CB soft-R 
PING Sigma 2  FETCH or PING Anser 6 milled

I was just going to play nine hole executive courses until I heard about "forward tees" and found that the private course in our town has an arrangement for resident seniors to play on Mondays.  

Epic Flash driver set to 14*  45g ladies flex graphite shaft cut down to 41 inches.  Two sliding weights to bring the SW back up.

21* GBB fairway

25* Mavrik Max fairway

27* BB 6H

32* BB 7I  40* 9I  44* PW 54* SW

32 inch Odyssey Indianapolis putter

I've been buying used ladies flex clubs and cutting them down with a chop saw.  Then adjusting the swing weights to my needs.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rwc356 said:

Truer words never said! For me this is the biggest challenge to overcome as my game ages.

Following this post avidly. I’m only 47 but suffered severe knee trauma about 10 years ago. Can play and to my 14 handicap but constant internal battle going on with myself about what I could/would do when I played to 6. 

• Like 1

I shot 79 twice at Nashville National this month, and the first time to break 80 for me. I have no idea how this happened, but have been flirting with breaking 80 this year. I was finally able to use the 5 wood off the deck, and it is long. You can find the 5 woods used but not the 7 woods easily. I broke 80 with both the G and G700 irons on different days. Of course now I am back to reality, shooting high 80's again or worse! I foolishly thought that breaking 80 was my new norm , hah!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bag is in overhaul mode

I’m 67 years old and just switched to Senior flex, so I decided to go full mongo as far as forgiveness also…

Ping G425 Max Distanza

Callaway Epic Star 3&5 Bassara

Cleveland XL Launcher Halo 4-PW Cypher

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 56* Smart Sole 3 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14 way

Edited by john myrbch
  • Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

On 8/9/2021 at 4:00 PM, NoTalentLefty said:

62 years old. Regular flex or R+

Driver: Ping G425 Max 5.5 Project  X Evenflow Blue set to 9 degrees

FW : Adam’s tight lie 3 wood 16 degrees

Hybrids : 3 thru 5 Callaway Epic Flash: 6 Big Bertha 2019 .

7 - GW : Mizuno Hot Metal with KBS Tour 

SW: 56 degree Cleveland CB 2 

Putter: Taylormade Spider X 

Thinking about getting  Titleist 54 and 60 degree and swapping out 56 degree wedge for 14 in bag but waiting on that.

Decided to complete my senior bag with the ultimate old man club, a Cleveland Smart Sole 4 chipper

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

15 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Decided to complete my senior bag with the ultimate old man club, a Cleveland Smart Sole 4 chipper

whatever works, right? 👍

The hybrid irons I just put in my bag saved me from considering the same thing. They are like cheating when it comes to chipping.

I bought one of those square Stryker chippers a while back, but I never got the hang of it.

The courses I play down here are shaved so tightly around the greens unless you have perfect technique you’re going to struggle. I realized long ago even the best players putt whenever possible.

I go up to Long Island a few times a year and never have an issue on bent grass, but Bermuda will test your nerves…

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

1 hour ago, john myrbch said:

whatever works, right? 👍

The hybrid irons I just put in my bag saved me from considering the same thing. They are like cheating when it comes to chipping.

I bought one of those square Stryker chippers a while back, but I never got the hang of it.

The courses I play down here are shaved so tightly around the greens unless you have perfect technique you’re going to struggle. I realized long ago even the best players putt whenever possible.

I go up to Long Island a few times a year and never have an issue on bent grass, but Bermuda will test your nerves…

Never had the feel for chipping with a hybrid. Liked to but never happened. I will say they won’t chunk like a normal wedge . Never left them short. Bermuda? Played it once in Jackson Mississippi, hated it. We have Bent mostly and some zoysia. Zoysia is my favorite.

• Like 1

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

71 years old, 12 handicap, clubs are in my signature. For me the most important thing is having senior flex shafts with a low bend point, which gives a high launch angle. My swing plane is very flat, so without shafts that give me a higher launch angle every shot looks like a stinger. I've been using low bend point shafts for 30 years, it's only within the last ten years I went to senior flex, as my swing speed no longer justified the high torque of stiffer shafts. Secondary to the shafts are the hybrids and game improvement semi-hybrid irons. They work better with my flat swing than fairway woods and blades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

2 hours ago, Billfitz said:

71 years old, 12 handicap, clubs are in my signature. For me the most important thing is having senior flex shafts with a low bend point, which gives a high launch angle. My swing plane is very flat, so without shafts that give me a higher launch angle every shot looks like a stinger. I've been using low bend point shafts for 30 years, it's only within the last ten years I went to senior flex, as my swing speed no longer justified the high torque of stiffer shafts. Secondary to the shafts are the hybrids and game improvement semi-hybrid irons. They work better with my flat swing than fairway woods and blades.

You and I might be the only two on this site playing the Launchers, 😂 

I just ordered the new version last week!

Question for you… I’d never use headcovers on a normal iron set, but I’m wondering if I should order them for the Launchers?

Do you have them on yours? If not, how are the heads holding up?

Thanks…

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10