The Perfect Senior Bag Setup

platgof

I do have covers on them, though not the Cleveland brand, which is silly expensive. I got mine on Amazon, they're the black vinyl, the brand is kepoda. They fit my 2020 HB model, I don't know about the new XL. I don't know why people don't use head covers on irons.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

It wasa hot and humid today, but a breeze once in a while that felt amazing!! It was one of those days that you asked yourself why are you here! Lost 8 golf balls, eight. Then on the 16 hole, a par three over water, I loose another one in the lilies. Hit another one again with the 8 iron and hole it out!! Maybe the planets were out of alignment, who knows?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I am 72 with a 15.7 index.  I came back to regular play after about a 9 or 10 year layoff in the fall of 2019.  Between my advancing age and reduced swing speed distance (or lack thereof) has been a problem…not so much in the long game but figuring out short iron gapping.

So I’m experimenting with a short set of irons 7-GW 919HM’s.  Starting with the 7i I’ve set the gaps at 7* increments…so i’ve got

7i @ 30*

8i @ 37*

PW @ 44*

GW @ 51*

I’ve adjusted the length of the 8i to fit evenly between the 7i and the PW.  I haven’t had a chance to try them yet so we’ll see how it works out.  

Edited by TxMike3
  • Like 1

I just saw the pro today and ordered a set of G710 irons. They will have senior shafts, mid size grips, extended a half inch, and Power Specs. I was slicing the ball horribly and cried on his shoulder, so he hooked me up to the latest and greatest Trackman, and unreal. In no time he pointed out what I was doing wrong and brought out the play toys to square me away. I was casting like a pro fisherman. The backswing was fine, but the downswing was all ugly. After he was done I was hitting it well. He promised a really good delivery time on the irons, so it was a very good day. I hit the G700 well, but need an upgrade.

• Like 3

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 9/1/2021 at 5:52 PM, platgof said:

I just saw the pro today and ordered a set of G710 irons. They will have senior shafts, mid size grips, extended a half inch, and Power Specs. I was slicing the ball horribly and cried on his shoulder, so he hooked me up to the latest and greatest Trackman, and unreal. In no time he pointed out what I was doing wrong and brought out the play toys to square me away. I was casting like a pro fisherman. The backswing was fine, but the downswing was all ugly. After he was done I was hitting it well. He promised a really good delivery time on the irons, so it was a very good day. I hit the G700 well, but need an upgrade.

I like my G710s a lot! 

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

On 8/31/2021 at 2:28 AM, TxMike3 said:

I am 72 with a 15.7 index.  I came back to regular play after about a 9 or 10 year layoff in the fall of 2019.  Between my advancing age and reduced swing speed distance (or lack thereof) has been a problem…not so much in the long game but figuring out short iron gapping.

So I’m experimenting with a short set of irons 7-GW 919HM’s.  Starting with the 7i I’ve set the gaps at 7* increments…so i’ve got

7i @ 30*

8i @ 37*

PW @ 44*

GW @ 51*

I’ve adjusted the length of the 8i to fit evenly between the 7i and the PW.  I haven’t had a chance to try them yet so we’ll see how it works out.  

Why no 9 iron?

On 8/24/2021 at 5:20 AM, DevilDog said:

First off, many seniors think lighter is better which isn't always the case. 

And that's ditto for shaft flex.

Never been fit, except by trail and error, and tried some lighter weight iron shafts mostly for fun.  I went from XP 105s to Zelos 8s (85g) then to 75g Recoils, all in R flex.  I adapted to the lighter weight shafts, but never liked them nor did they help me in any way.  If fact they really hurt my iron game, because what no one tells you is they are spec'd at a 1/2" longer to make up for the SW loss.  That's exactly what I don't need.  Bit the bullet and reshafted with Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Rs and worth ever penny. Prior to the XP 105s I had 950GHs which were fine, but still too light.

I also tried a superlight Epic Star driver with a 45g R shaft.  That was a bust as well.  Too soft and too light overall for my tempo.  Back to a stock driver and an S shaft.

I'm 73 years old.  Have been playing 85 gram steel iron shafts for years.  Decided to go with 75 gram graphite recoils and took a $1,400 plunge.  Now I'm lost, these new irons feel like I'm swinging a broom stick. Thinking I just have to keep trying them and maybe eventually they will work for me.

• Sad 1

Driver:  TM IQ10 10.5*

3 Wood:  TM Stealth2 16.5*; 9 Wood Ping G430 22.5*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 S 56*

Putter:  Bettinardi BB-8W

14 hours ago, wjdpar1 said:

I'm 73 years old.  Have been playing 85 gram steel iron shafts for years.  Decided to go with 75 gram graphite recoils and took a $1,400 plunge.  Now I'm lost, these new irons feel like I'm swinging a broom stick. Thinking I just have to keep trying them and maybe eventually they will work for me.

Not surprising as my 85g Zelos 8 Stiffs played much softer then my 75g Recoil 670 F3s (R).  Dead and boardy is what I felt about my graphite iron shafts

Edited by mootrail
  • Like 2

I was fitted for a set of G710 with an extra 1/2" and Power Specs. I got them in two weeks and was surprised by that. There were several awesome surprises. The smoke shafts with the black heads look great. I hit great shots all day with them. Even my bad shots were pin high. the good shots felt awesome. I gained 10 yards with these per club and no gaps either. So glad I listened to others and got this set. IMG_1788.jpg.ed1192005a6f36793aaecbcde8d1ac88.jpg

• Like 2

Bag is in overhaul mode

42 minutes ago, platgof said:

I was fitted for a set of G710 with an extra 1/2" and Power Specs. I got them in two weeks and was surprised by that. There were several awesome surprises. The smoke shafts with the black heads look great. I hit great shots all day with them. Even my bad shots were pin high. the good shots felt awesome. I gained 10 yards with these per club and no gaps either. So glad I listened to others and got this set. IMG_1788.jpg.ed1192005a6f36793aaecbcde8d1ac88.jpg

Glad they worked out for you out of the gate.  Curious what shaft and swingweight with the

1/2" longer.

Edited by myspinonit

Age 75 and all graphite except putter and maybe wedge. All R  or SR shaft, very stiff and my back tells me for a couple of days. Also with a stiff seem to push everything to the right probably lack of swing speed. Handicap 20-25 just try to play bogey golf, on a good day.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:55 AM, mootrail said:

Not surprising as my 85g Zelos 8 Stiffs played much softer then my 75g Recoil 670 F3s (R).  Dead and boardy is what I felt about my graphite iron shafts

Original Recoils are not known for liveliness but the SmacWraps are better at feel. Accra are more lively, but don't know about their energy transfer to the ball.  MMT are nice and energetic but get them in the correct flex - don't go for more.

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

The other day, after perusing the Callaway preowned and 2ndSwing sites, I went to eBay to see what kind of Hogan irons they had. Total impulse buy-picked up a set of Hogan Apex's (2-9) for $90.00 including tax and shipping. Cleaned the grooves and put on new grips and now I have a new set of irons. Years ago I had a set of Apex's and then went to a set of Titleist AP1 714's and later Srixon Z585's.  Will I play better with the Hogan's? I have no idea, but, I will have fun finding out.  

Current set   Driver Srixon Z785 10.5

3 Wood. Callaway Epic Max 15.0

3 Hybrid. Callaway Apex 19.0

5 Hybrid Callaway Mavrik 24.0

Irons. Srixon Z585 (5-9)

PW Callaway Jaws MD5. 46.0

GW Vokey SM8 50.0

SW. Callaway Jaws MD5  56.0

Putter Odyssey Stroke Lab # 7

Ball. Callaway ERC or Vice Pro 

Seniors who play graphite shafted irons probably need to get them extended for the right control.  I had my G710 extended a 1/2" and it has been nothing short of awesome. If you are hitting off the toe or thin hits all the time, or gripping the grip on the very end, you need a longer club. Today I extended my P790 irons, the first edition, by 3/4" , and will try them tomorrow to see what difference the extensions make. I was hitting the pw in the yard, and it was like a totally different cub. Better face contact, and no thin hits at all. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

I've been a long time D, 4w, 7w, 4h, 5i guy. When I started carrying a short bag when walking I went D, 5w, 4h. I found I really liked the top of the bag that way. I found that I scored better when not going for greens from over 200 yards out. So, when I play a full bag I add a 4i as well. It goes almost as far as my 4h but flies lower and is great for escape shots.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

Soon to be 66 and I have been playing the best golf of my life. It's because of a number of reasons. I'm no longer chasing the distance as I still hit it far enough to reach a few par 5's in 2.  My new Srixon ZX5's with Recoil Smacwrap shafts have gave me the confidence that no other irons have so is it the shaft combo or the V-sole, Yes for both

I found some FW woods TayloreMade Sim2 Max 3W and Callaway (Epic Max)5W that I'm fairly consistent with along with a driver (Cobra RadSpeed XB PTC limited edition) which I love pulling the head cover off and steeping up to the Tee-Box. My wedges (RTX FullFace Zipcore) have gave me many birdies opportunity but that also will depend on the lie.

My Putter (Lajosi P-421 and Elite Potenza Piertti)  can be streaky at times as 3 putts don't come very often. I've finished with 13 putts a few times on 9 holes as thats a good feeling. Now I have rarely played from the senior Tee's and when I have I have shot under par, but I have also done that from the white Tee's too.  

All of my shafts are Reg. flex graphite except for my wedges and putter. Being at 92 mph swing speed keeps my in that regular flex range. All my irons are fitted so that too helps so does this make for the perfect Senior bag, not sure but for me it's working and I'm very pleased so chasing the Holy Grail of Golf clubs is over with. 

Edited by Tiptx1122

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 8/11/2021 at 6:41 PM, sfdoddsy said:

60 years old, and since accepting I am no longer young and changing my set makeup accordingly I have reached my lowest handicap ever.

Driver: Mavrik 10.5 with Hzrdus Smoke.

4 wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (shorter shaft)

3 hybrid: Ping G410 Alta S 19* (set to fade)

4 hybrid: Callaway Epic Flash Ventus 7S 21* (draw)

5 hybrid: Epic flash 24* (straight)

6 hybrid: Epic Flash 27* (straight)

7-PW: Cobra Forged Tec Copper Modus 105S

GW: Cobra MIM Tour Copper Modus 105S

SW: CBX 2 54

LW: CBX FF 58

Putter: PXG One & Done

Australia has been in a lockdown for the past few months so I have had nothing else to do other than try out different clubs and setups. I've switched driver to the more forgiving TSi2, and am humming and hawing about the exact model of hybrid in the 5&6 spot, but the overall composition above is still working very well.

I fulfilled my life-long ambition and shot par for the first time a few weeks back. Admittedly it was a bit of a fluke (abnormally good putting and some lucky bounces) and I was so shocked I've played like crap since, but I still think a lot of my late period form is down to being clever with the clubs I use.

• Like 1

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

I am still on the extending the clubs fad. When I got the Apex 19's from Callaway, they felt wrong for some reason, the shafts are 50 gram super lights. So I decided to extend these to 37 3/4 (7 iron) and see what happens. The clubs were transformed into players. They are now long and straight, and I am all over the sweet spot on these. I have never seen a set of clubs transform this much from an extension. I was able to blow the old grips off, so it was just epoxy and extensions for the cost. I was going to get rid of them, but not now. 

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 10/13/2021 at 8:36 AM, platgof said:

I am still on the extending the clubs fad. When I got the Apex 19's from Callaway, they felt wrong for some reason, the shafts are 50 gram super lights. So I decided to extend these to 37 3/4 (7 iron) and see what happens. The clubs were transformed into players. They are now long and straight, and I am all over the sweet spot on these. I have never seen a set of clubs transform this much from an extension. I was able to blow the old grips off, so it was just epoxy and extensions for the cost. I was going to get rid of them, but not now. 

I hit the new Apex couple days ago with the Dart shafts and holy cow, they are sweeeeet! 

Perfect ? Not sure but berry berry good for me.

Driver - Ping G425 Max 10.5  at 9.5 

3W     - Adam’s Tight Lie 16 degree

3,4,5H - Callaway Epic Flash set 1 degree strong

6-GW - PXG 0311 Gen4 XP irons

GW-SW - PXG Forged Wedges. 
Putter - Sacks&Parente 39 

Everything Graphite.

Edited by NoTalentLefty

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

See a lot of posters in here with 4 wedges-  as my ss has decreased the need for multiple wedges diminishes- 46-52-58 Now if a course set up is very demanding green side, maybe I could see a 4th wedge. Just don't see the need for another club inside 110yds though.

425 Max 9* set flat plus

410 SFT 16* set small + to 17* 42" to act more of a 5wd

400 7wd 41.5" & 9wd 41" both small - 

G410 26* 5h flat ○

6-9 irons 46 -52-58

C10 49" Broomstick

13 sticks....l add a traditional 5i or lst 3wd depending on conditions or generally just play 13

Playing 6700+yds daily carrying a 4.3 stock 7i is 135yds D carry about 218

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Only lately have I started using my sand wedge more near the greens, as I usually use the A wedge for most shots near the green. I am experimenting with using a Cleveland Smart Sole Sand Wedge for chipping. I tried their chipper and had a hard time elevating the shots, then remembered someone mentioning that the easy outs have a higher loft. Messed around with it and was quite surprised how easy it elevated the ball. So I have stuck it in the bag and will try it out as a chipper. This could be interesting.

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 9/15/2021 at 8:15 PM, wjdpar1 said:

On 9/16/2021 at 10:55 AM, mootrail said:

I'm going to respond to two posts simultaneously.  I tried the full bag ultralite senior graphite experiment last year into this year.  Fortunately I went with used so my outlay was quite a bit less than what it would be if I had ordered from a fitting.

Some will say:  Full stop!  You weren't fit so your have no idea how properly fit clubs would work for you.  Please give me a bit of credit for knowing my basic fitting specs.  I will concede that there maybe some merit to having gone through a full bag fitting, but I ain't got the coin for that at this point in life.

I absolutely could not get a consistent result swinging 55g graphite shafts in the irons.  My swing was all over the place as was my contact.  For distance irons, they went no where!  The woods were somewhat better, but I was going left more often than not plus I was having big time trouble with the driver hitting knuckle balls even with a 12° head that was cranked up even higher!

I packed it all up mid summer and after a two week sabbatical brought out some older clubs with heavier shafts in R flex playing steel in my irons again.  I spent some time playing around with various combinations until I started to get a feel for what was working most consistently for me. 

The irons were the first thing to come around and they have been the best part of my game lately.  Finding another copy of an old driver I had success with was the next problem solved.  The higher spin head has helped me a lot with launch and consistency.  Still trying to figure out my fairways and hybrids, but that will likely have to wait until next year at this point.

The point about this lengthy post is not to get too quick to switch to lighter more flexible shafts no matter what info you're being fed.  I'm 63 and had a serious back injury 4 years ago.  It has probably taken me that long to get fully healed and with that my strength and length has begun to return.  It's not like I'm long, but i can attest that lighter and more flexible has brought me nothing but trouble.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

All my clubs are ladies flex clubs as my swing speed for my irons in in the low 70s.  I learned to swing a 3 iron in the 1970s so irons are a strength of my game. 

I started off with older clubs with 55g shafts but have bought more recently made clubs with 50LL and 40LL shafts that feel just fine.

I went through three driver shafts before finding one I liked--a 40 gram Helium 4 shaft.  I liked the Helium shafts in an 11 wood and 5 iron so I bought another shaft.

After a rough round in which I barely finished before losing all my golf balls--had to play the last 4 holes with my last ball, I found I could find the sweet spot consistently with a 44-1/2 driver into a net.

My launch monitor recorded a 146 yard carry.  I practiced again two days later and moved it up to 153 yards with good sequencing rather than brute strength. 

Today I'm taking the day off from driver practice as it rained and the ground is going to be slippery.

My latest purchase is a Mavrik Max 4 iron, 22 degrees of loft, that I intend to use a a driving iron.

Edited by ShortGolfer

On 9/23/2021 at 6:24 PM, GG194 said:

Age 75 and all graphite except putter and maybe wedge. All R  or SR shaft, very stiff and my back tells me for a couple of days. Also with a stiff seem to push everything to the right probably lack of swing speed. Handicap 20-25 just try to play bogey golf, on a good day.

IME always pushing right comes from inadequate hip rotation, which is to be expected when you're old enough to collect Social Security. It cuts swing speed too. The b**** is that you really can't fix it with gear. But if you're aware of it that's halfway to fixing it. 

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft