2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

You vs Koepka in a handicapped match

Tyeetime

> @bladehunter said:

> > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > Disclaimer: this isn't meant to be a brag, just a really honest post that I think is mildly interesting and should create some interesting conversation.

> >

> > For a time, I held the course record at my course. 7,100 yards par 72 from the tips, I shot 64 years ago (was a +4 at the time). If I was given a month's notice to prepare for my round with Brooks, I think I could get back to the point where I could guarantee a score between 67-74 ( I would definitely take a month off work to prepare for such a round). The course record is now 62, which was shot by a guy who is now doing pretty good on the MacKenzie Tour. It is his home course FYI.

> >

> > There's not a lot of trouble, and the course is way above sea-level, so Brooks would be hitting his 3 iron 260+. However, he'd be playing in Open Championship type winds on small greens that are unique. If Brooks is playing it for the first time, I'd expect 63-67 his first time out with all his clubs. With no woods, I'd expect 68-72.

> >

> > All that laid out, I think I should win if Brooks started at 5 iron, and I think it would be 50/50 if he had no woods. I'm not a tour level player, but I'm also no slouch. Brooks is a phenomenal player but taking away his driver and woods takes away the biggest weapon in his arsenal and I think my wedges into greens can beat his 6 and 7 irons.

>

> That’s kind of my point. My course record is 63 shot some 12 years ago.and it’s played occasionally by 3 current pga tour players and one champ tour guy who live near me. Also included are two US am final 18 players from last year who are currently UGA guys. Etc. I’ve shot 65 in comp once.

>

> Several here will surely say this is a brag. But he’d have to shoot a score . You don’t just walk out of the car park and get awarded a score from past records. I refuse to believe he’d just walk up and shoot 62. Again. Flesh and bones. Anything is possible.

Want the real brag? I’ve beaten Brooks before, granted it was a minor league event but still.

> @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > @BNGL said:

> > > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > I doubt it. You don’t think Brooks could shoot under par with just irons? Unless you are a +5 handicap my money is on BK.

> > > >

> > > > > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > > > > If he couldnt use his woods, hybrids and putter, Id beat him.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Im actually sure he could probably outdrive me even with just his irons. I do think not having his putter would mess him up though. You ever tried putting with a wedge or iron? Unless its a tap in, good luck.

> > > IMO, much of BK's game is that he drives the ball a mile. Take away the clubs that help him do that and I think hed be gettable.

> >

> > Putting with a wedge isn’t that difficult especially at the PGA Tour level.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> When I'm playing causally with my girlfriend or just out for a round with buddies where we aren't playing for anything, I will only bring one club to the green with me, so if I'm off the green wedge for putting it is. I can, very honestly, say that putting with a wedge really isn't that hard, at least for me. I don't know that I putt a whole lot differently with the wedge than I do my putter.

Yeah exactly. I know a few guy that’ll putt during warmups with a wedge to level out the stroke and improve their strike. If you’re coordinated at all you’d figure it out pretty fast

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> Disclaimer: this isn't meant to be a brag, just a really honest post that I think is mildly interesting and should create some interesting conversation.

>

> For a time, I held the course record at my course. 7,100 yards par 72 from the tips, I shot 64 years ago (was a +4 at the time). If I was given a month's notice to prepare for my round with Brooks, I think I could get back to the point where I could guarantee a score between 67-74 ( I would definitely take a month off work to prepare for such a round). The course record is now 62, which was shot by a guy who is now doing pretty good on the MacKenzie Tour. It is his home course FYI.

>

> There's not a lot of trouble, and the course is way above sea-level, so Brooks would be hitting his 3 iron 260+. However, he'd be playing in Open Championship type winds on small greens that are unique. If Brooks is playing it for the first time, I'd expect 63-67 his first time out with all his clubs. With no woods, I'd expect 68-72.

>

> All that laid out, I think I should win if Brooks started at 5 iron, and I think it would be 50/50 if he had no woods. I'm not a tour level player, but I'm also no slouch. Brooks is a phenomenal player but taking away his driver and woods takes away the biggest weapon in his arsenal and I think my wedges into greens can beat his 6 and 7 irons.

And, in this example, if you brought your +4 game to this same course, full-bag vs full-bag how many strokes would you be asking for?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Handicapped match? Ummm, he'd be hard pressed to win most handicapped matches. He is probably a +8 or something, so he has to shoot 62-65 to have a handicapped 72 depending upon the course rating. A golfer with a 12 handicap can shoot 72 pretty easily as well with his handicap. As a scratch or better most of my life winning a match against that 10-18 range is normally the hardest. At 18 they can play well enough to shoot 10 or 12 over and end up with a 64 or 66. For Brooks to shoot 66 he has to shoot 58. Now if you get a handicap and he doesn't, then it is a completely different story.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > Disclaimer: this isn't meant to be a brag, just a really honest post that I think is mildly interesting and should create some interesting conversation.

> >

> > For a time, I held the course record at my course. 7,100 yards par 72 from the tips, I shot 64 years ago (was a +4 at the time). If I was given a month's notice to prepare for my round with Brooks, I think I could get back to the point where I could guarantee a score between 67-74 ( I would definitely take a month off work to prepare for such a round). The course record is now 62, which was shot by a guy who is now doing pretty good on the MacKenzie Tour. It is his home course FYI.

> >

> > There's not a lot of trouble, and the course is way above sea-level, so Brooks would be hitting his 3 iron 260+. However, he'd be playing in Open Championship type winds on small greens that are unique. If Brooks is playing it for the first time, I'd expect 63-67 his first time out with all his clubs. With no woods, I'd expect 68-72.

> >

> > All that laid out, I think I should win if Brooks started at 5 iron, and I think it would be 50/50 if he had no woods. I'm not a tour level player, but I'm also no slouch. Brooks is a phenomenal player but taking away his driver and woods takes away the biggest weapon in his arsenal and I think my wedges into greens can beat his 6 and 7 irons.

>

> And, in this example, if you brought your +4 game to this same course, full-bag vs full-bag how many strokes would you be asking for?

I’d probably get two a side, though I’d ask for an extra stroke on the back nine, where Brooks is likely to drive multiple par 4’s.

Assuming Brooks doesn’t shoot a totally ridiculous score like 62 or lower (which is very possible), 4 strokes would make it close.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

give me 3 a side brooks, lets do this. lol

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @BNGL said:

> > @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > > @BNGL said:

> > > > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > > > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > > I doubt it. You don’t think Brooks could shoot under par with just irons? Unless you are a +5 handicap my money is on BK.

> > > > >

> > > > > > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > > > > > If he couldnt use his woods, hybrids and putter, Id beat him.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Im actually sure he could probably outdrive me even with just his irons. I do think not having his putter would mess him up though. You ever tried putting with a wedge or iron? Unless its a tap in, good luck.

> > > > IMO, much of BK's game is that he drives the ball a mile. Take away the clubs that help him do that and I think hed be gettable.

> > >

> > > Putting with a wedge isn’t that difficult especially at the PGA Tour level.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > When I'm playing causally with my girlfriend or just out for a round with buddies where we aren't playing for anything, I will only bring one club to the green with me, so if I'm off the green wedge for putting it is. I can, very honestly, say that putting with a wedge really isn't that hard, at least for me. I don't know that I putt a whole lot differently with the wedge than I do my putter.

>

> Yeah exactly. I know a few guy that’ll putt during warmups with a wedge to level out the stroke and improve their strike. If you’re coordinated at all you’d figure it out pretty fast

I once shot a 39 in a men's league, using a 3 wood, 7 iron and SW. (I was probably a 7 capper at the time) I putted with the SW and didn't 3 putt once. Putting with a SW is actually a great drill to sort out putting issues. It's really not hard at all, especially on the shorter ones. Long putts you could just chip with a long iron.

yesterday I chipped up to about 3 feet with my 58*, I didn't have my putter in my hand, the guy I was playing with looked at me funny, I just walked up and stroked it withy my wedge into the middle of the cup.

LOL, putters are overrated. :)

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @Justsomeguy said:

> If Brooks gets a 7i, 56* and a putter, there probably aren't more than 9 guys on all of golfwrx who stand a chance in any format with a full bag. It would be an epic shitshow.

> But I'd say the worse the course, the crappier the greens, the more even the match would get.

Honestly I would take this bet on virtually any golf course. Even hitting 7 iron 200 he isn't reaching any par 4s longer than 400 or so.

Regarding the original post, take his driver down through 3 iron and I think I can give him a run on my course.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist T200 3 Utility Build Thump 90-X
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

> @MtlJeff said:

> If he was allowed to pick which club....i think the answer is 1. He'd probably shoot close to par with a 6 or 7 iron but i usually do that too. I think it could be a good match

>

> If i got to pick with clubs he could use it would be easier, because if you just gave him 52-56-60 or something it would be tough to shoot around par, so the answer might be 3 or 4

I want to see you shoot close to par with just a 6 or 7 iron. And I want to see you play BK as well.

I think y'all are going the wrong way with this. Take the short clubs away(150 in)if you want a decent advantage. Especially if you play hill courses with elevated, hard greens. He'd need to be Super Seve hitting 100 yard flop shots with a 4 iron or bump and runs from there if no water.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> I think y'all are going the wrong way with this. Take the short clubs away(150 in)if you want a decent advantage. Especially if you play hill courses with elevated, hard greens. He'd need to be Super Seve hitting 100 yard flop shots with a 4 iron or bump and runs from there if no water.

Well, actually, we all read the OP’s instructions which clearly state to start with the longest clubs and move from there. Nice try though.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

i'm going the opposite way. he's a pro, he's going to be hundreds of miles better than i will ever be with his putter (or any other club for that matter. do you think he'd be able to putt with a driver or stop a ball on a 150yd par 3 with any relative consistency? how about hitting from the sand with a driver? out of some thick rough with his driver? how would his distance control be?

i think he'd actually still be beat me if he started with a full bag. i beat him by 1 stroke if he only plays with a driver.

> @jpdx said:

> i'm going the opposite way. he's a pro, he's going to be hundreds of miles better than i will ever be with his putter (or any other club for that matter. do you think he'd be able to putt with a driver or stop a ball on a 150yd par 3 with any relative consistency? how about hitting from the sand with a driver? out of some thick rough with his driver? how would his distance control be?

>

> i think he'd actually still be beat me if he started with a full bag. i beat him by 1 stroke if he only plays with a driver.

>

>

You reminded me, here is Luke Donald (remember him?) hitting a par 3 green with pretty much his whole bag.

> @Ripken08 said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > If he was allowed to pick which club....i think the answer is 1. He'd probably shoot close to par with a 6 or 7 iron but i usually do that too. I think it could be a good match

> >

> > If i got to pick with clubs he could use it would be easier, because if you just gave him 52-56-60 or something it would be tough to shoot around par, so the answer might be 3 or 4

>

> I want to see you shoot close to par with just a 6 or 7 iron. And I want to see you play BK as well.

You misunderstand....I'd get my full 14 clubs and he'd only get 1

You really thought I was saying I could have a competitive match with Brooks heads up if we BOTH got one club?

I've broken 90 with one club from the tips at my course. 88. And I was really happy about it (5 iron)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

LoL his swing lefty is better than mine. AND IM A LEFTY!!!!

I take it back, he gets 1/2 a club

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @driveandputtmachine said:

> Handicapped match? Ummm, he'd be hard pressed to win most handicapped matches. He is probably a +8 or something, so he has to shoot 62-65 to have a handicapped 72 depending upon the course rating. A golfer with a 12 handicap can shoot 72 pretty easily as well with his handicap. As a scratch or better most of my life winning a match against that 10-18 range is normally the hardest. **At 18 they can play well enough to shoot 10 or 12 over and end up with a 64 or 66.** For Brooks to shoot 66 he has to shoot 58. Now if you get a handicap and he doesn't, then it is a completely different story.

18's who shoot 82's and 84's? I'd like to meet these guys.

> @TLUBulldogGolf said:

> > @Justsomeguy said:

> > If Brooks gets a 7i, 56* and a putter, there probably aren't more than 9 guys on all of golfwrx who stand a chance in any format with a full bag. It would be an epic shitshow.

> > But I'd say the worse the course, the crappier the greens, the more even the match would get.

>

> Honestly I would take this bet on virtually any golf course. Even hitting 7 iron 200 he isn't reaching any par 4s longer than 400 or so.

>

> Regarding the original post, take his driver down through 3 iron and I think I can give him a run on my course.

You get the guys, and I'm in for red rover.

I wonder how far his stinger 7i goes.

I got $10k kn Brooks. No offense.

@HitEmTrue said:

> > @driveandputtmachine said:

> > Handicapped match? Ummm, he'd be hard pressed to win most handicapped matches. He is probably a +8 or something, so he has to shoot 62-65 to have a handicapped 72 depending upon the course rating. A golfer with a 12 handicap can shoot 72 pretty easily as well with his handicap. As a scratch or better most of my life winning a match against that 10-18 range is normally the hardest. **At 18 they can play well enough to shoot 10 or 12 over and end up with a 64 or 66.** For Brooks to shoot 66 he has to shoot 58. Now if you get a handicap and he doesn't, then it is a completely different story.

>

> 18's who shoot 82's and 84's? I'd like to meet these guys.

>

>

>

buddy of mine...shot a 82 and 85 recently as a 19.4. he's been a 16-20 as long as I've golfed with him.

> @IronHitter said:

> My short game is horrid currently. But I'd happily play Koepka off the back tees with both of us using 9 iron through to putter. Think it would be very close as I hit it further than him and 9 through to putter are my best clubs. If I putted well I'd have a chance. If he had 7 iron through to putter he'd beat me every time probably assuming he would be hitting a 7 iron 200 on average off the tee cranking it right up? Guessing he would be scratch /close to scratch with just a 7 iron through to putter at most golf clubs. With a 9 iron through to putter I'm assuming around +15? This is just speculation and pure guess work.

God what a post.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

> @toc said:

> > @IronHitter said:

> > My short game is horrid currently. But I'd happily play Koepka off the back tees with both of us using 9 iron through to putter. Think it would be very close as I hit it further than him and 9 through to putter are my best clubs. If I putted well I'd have a chance. If he had 7 iron through to putter he'd beat me every time probably assuming he would be hitting a 7 iron 200 on average off the tee cranking it right up? Guessing he would be scratch /close to scratch with just a 7 iron through to putter at most golf clubs. With a 9 iron through to putter I'm assuming around +15? This is just speculation and pure guess work.

>

> God what a post.

>

Lol, amazing post. Wow, hahaha

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @jpdx said:

> @HitEmTrue said:

> > > @driveandputtmachine said:

> > > Handicapped match? Ummm, he'd be hard pressed to win most handicapped matches. He is probably a +8 or something, so he has to shoot 62-65 to have a handicapped 72 depending upon the course rating. A golfer with a 12 handicap can shoot 72 pretty easily as well with his handicap. As a scratch or better most of my life winning a match against that 10-18 range is normally the hardest. **At 18 they can play well enough to shoot 10 or 12 over and end up with a 64 or 66.** For Brooks to shoot 66 he has to shoot 58. Now if you get a handicap and he doesn't, then it is a completely different story.

> >

> > 18's who shoot 82's and 84's? I'd like to meet these guys.

> >

> >

> >

> buddy of mine...shot a 82 and 85 recently as a 19.4. he's been a 16-20 as long as I've golfed with him.

He'd better update that handicap.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @HitEmTrue said:

> > @driveandputtmachine said:

> > Handicapped match? Ummm, he'd be hard pressed to win most handicapped matches. He is probably a +8 or something, so he has to shoot 62-65 to have a handicapped 72 depending upon the course rating. A golfer with a 12 handicap can shoot 72 pretty easily as well with his handicap. As a scratch or better most of my life winning a match against that 10-18 range is normally the hardest. **At 18 they can play well enough to shoot 10 or 12 over and end up with a 64 or 66.** For Brooks to shoot 66 he has to shoot 58. Now if you get a handicap and he doesn't, then it is a completely different story.

>

> 18's who shoot 82's and 84's? I'd like to meet these guys.

>

>

>

Be my guest one day. Donate $100 to the pot and I’ll show you a 23 that will shoot 85 and a 10 that may go as low as 68. But definitely will go 74-75. Neither of these guys get any shots playing in a skins game with us.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock