2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Your Club Champion Fitting Experience - Feedback wanted?

golfnhack

Hi all,

For those of you who have been fitted at a club champion, I was wondering if you would please share the following info. I am IN NO WAY associated with Club Champion. I promise there is a reason for asking this info... and I am hoping it will become self evident with the answers given. I am also hoping it will help others here considering getting fitted there.

* Do you feel that they tried to "push" a driver shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

* Do you feel that they tried to "push" a FW shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

* Do you feel that they tried to "push" an iron shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

* Which location were you fitted at

* Do you feel fitting was worth it

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver Fitting last week using my current F9 head. I was fitted for and almost committed to the Accra TZ5 55 M4. Just about finished with the fitting and he asked if I had any questions or if there were any shafts I wanted to try. So I said let me try that Pro Orange. Of course, it was way longer, straighter, lower spin, best smash factor, highest ball speed... So I had my wife buy the PO from them for my birthday. I won't say how much it cost, it is more than I would have paid ordering it from somewhere else, yes. But the headache of her not getting the right one, was worth the extra money in this case. I was fitted at the Nashville, TN (Franklin) location, and yes I feel like it was worth it. In the future I would get fitted there but not buy from them, if that helps.

> @KGilma said:

> Driver Fitting last week using my current F9 head. I was fitted for and almost committed to the Accra TZ5 55 M4. Just about finished with the fitting and he asked if I had any questions or if there were any shafts I wanted to try. So I said let me try that Pro Orange. Of course, it was way longer, straighter, lower spin, best smash factor, highest ball speed... So I had my wife buy the PO from them for my birthday. I won't say how much it cost, it is more than I would have paid ordering it from somewhere else, yes. But the headache of her not getting the right one, was worth the extra money in this case. I was fitted at the Nashville, TN (Franklin) location, and yes I feel like it was worth it. In the future I would get fitted there but not buy from them, if that helps.

Thank you... this is the EXACT answer I was looking for... and I promise... the start of a trend you will see as more people post.

> @golfnhack said:

> > @KGilma said:

> > Driver Fitting last week using my current F9 head. I was fitted for and almost committed to the Accra TZ5 55 M4. Just about finished with the fitting and he asked if I had any questions or if there were any shafts I wanted to try. So I said let me try that Pro Orange. Of course, it was way longer, straighter, lower spin, best smash factor, highest ball speed... So I had my wife buy the PO from them for my birthday. I won't say how much it cost, it is more than I would have paid ordering it from somewhere else, yes. But the headache of her not getting the right one, was worth the extra money in this case. I was fitted at the Nashville, TN (Franklin) location, and yes I feel like it was worth it. In the future I would get fitted there but not buy from them, if that helps.

>

> Thank you... this is the EXACT answer I was looking for... and I promise... the start of a trend you will see as more people post.

I will say, I did not feel like they were trying to push any specific shaft on me. I hit a lot of different shafts, and those were the best fit for me.

I had my fitting done in Charlotte, NC for irons only. They did not try to push me into anything, seemed to go by numbers and listened to what I thought about the feel of the shaft as well. Only thing missing with the fitting is I wish it was an in to outdoor fitting so I could see the actual ball flight.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

> @golfnhack said:

> Hi all,

>

> For those of you who have been fitted at a club champion, I was wondering if you would please share the following info. I am IN NO WAY associated with Club Champion. I promise there is a reason for asking this info... and I am hoping it will become self evident with the answers given. I am also hoping it will help others here considering getting fitted there.

>

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a driver shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a FW shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" an iron shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Which location were you fitted at

> * Do you feel fitting was worth it

>

>

No, I didn't feel they tried to push me towards any shaft. The fitter did suggest a starting point based on my current set and then we moved around from there. At the end of the day, there were about 3 shafts that were close to each other and he drew up cost estimates for all.

I actually asked him if he wasn't going to make a recommendation and he said not really. The results were pretty close so he felt it would be down to my preference. Also, as I understood all the metrics walking in the door, he thought I was well informed enough that he could leave me with the stats, just answer any questions I might have and that would be that.

Fitted at San Carlos, CA. Was worth it.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @IamMarkMac said:

> > @golfnhack said:

> > Hi all,

> >

> > For those of you who have been fitted at a club champion, I was wondering if you would please share the following info. I am IN NO WAY associated with Club Champion. I promise there is a reason for asking this info... and I am hoping it will become self evident with the answers given. I am also hoping it will help others here considering getting fitted there.

> >

> > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a driver shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a FW shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" an iron shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > * Which location were you fitted at

> > * Do you feel fitting was worth it

> >

> >

>

> No, I didn't feel they tried to push me towards any shaft. The fitter did suggest a starting point based on my current set and then we moved around from there. At the end of the day, there were about 3 shafts that were close to each other and he drew up cost estimates for all.

> I actually asked him if he wasn't going to make a recommendation and he said not really. The results were pretty close so he felt it would be down to my preference. Also, as I understood all the metrics walking in the door, he thought I was well informed enough that he could leave me with the stats, just answer any questions I might have and that would be that.

> Fitted at San Carlos, CA. Was worth it.

If I may ask... what were the 3 shafts you were choosing between?

> @golfnhack said:

>

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a driver shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a FW shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" an iron shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Which location were you fitted at

> * Do you feel fitting was worth it

>

>

1. No 2. No 3. No 4. Blackhawk 5. Yes

In my case I did end up fitting into what a lot of people say they steer too (Fuji wood shafts, Oban iron shafts), but the data was all there and very compelling.

Another one of these threads?

1-3. No, in fact they didn't even push clubs on me as the heads I had performed equal or better than anything available at the time. All said and done my fitting resulted in a shaft change in the driver/3w, no change at all to the hybrid and just bending the irons a degree flat.

4. Willowbrook, IL

5. Yes, it confirmed that I'm pretty good at fitting myself based on what I'm seeing my golf ball do, but it also got me just a little extra out of my driver and fairway wood with the shaft change. It was also interesting seeing my swing and ball flight turned into numbers and data. Its nice knowing that as many variables as that are in golf, my equipment is not one of them.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I have been fitted for 3 wood and hybrid shafts and in neither case did they (Portland store) try and sell me on a specific shaft brand. I made that choice, but it was pretty obvious which was best in both scenarios. What does bug me is that it then took 2 weeks to get the shafts in the store from Chicago for them to install. That is way too long just to send out some shafts.

> @golfnhack said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > @golfnhack said:

> > > Hi all,

> > >

> > > For those of you who have been fitted at a club champion, I was wondering if you would please share the following info. I am IN NO WAY associated with Club Champion. I promise there is a reason for asking this info... and I am hoping it will become self evident with the answers given. I am also hoping it will help others here considering getting fitted there.

> > >

> > > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a driver shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a FW shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" an iron shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > > * Which location were you fitted at

> > > * Do you feel fitting was worth it

> > >

> > >

> >

> > No, I didn't feel they tried to push me towards any shaft. The fitter did suggest a starting point based on my current set and then we moved around from there. At the end of the day, there were about 3 shafts that were close to each other and he drew up cost estimates for all.

> > I actually asked him if he wasn't going to make a recommendation and he said not really. The results were pretty close so he felt it would be down to my preference. Also, as I understood all the metrics walking in the door, he thought I was well informed enough that he could leave me with the stats, just answer any questions I might have and that would be that.

> > Fitted at San Carlos, CA. Was worth it.

>

> If I may ask... what were the 3 shafts you were choosing between?

I'm looking at going into graphite. The shafts that worked for me were Mitsubishi OT110, Recoil125, SteelFiber fc115 (110 was good too). I'm not sure about Recoil 125 as i think I may have just hit them well on the day. 110-115 is generally my weight range. Then again, my only gauge of that is that I don't really hit 120g+ steel shafts particularly well. Maybe I can go heavier in graphite.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Fitting great ordered driver through them as I was told 10 days tops. Well the Ventus 6X is back ordered and they are sending driver with 7X until it shows up. I am totally bummed as I have big tourneys starting next week.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I did a Driver, fairway, iron fitting at Rockville, MD.

1-3. They didn’t push any particular shaft on me but did push PUREing or one of the other shaft alignment gimmicks. He did push the lightest weight options on me despite me telling him basically I didn’t care if we ended up in Senior Ladies flex so long as the weight was “mid” because that was what felt best.

4. See above.

5. Not worth it. Didn’t once address lie angle, loft, length, etc. Basically just banged balls on Trackman in more or less ‘poke and hope’ fashion. Wasn’t really a fitting but rather more of a high-end boutique demo session. Primary reasons it is not worth it in my view include: it is commonly accepted that launch and spin are different from mats than they are off turf and you can’t see ball flight. I might consider driver data acceptable given they are hit from tee but wouldn’t spend the money on anything struck from the ground.

In the end, “fitter” seemed like a nice guy and the experience was reasonably pleasant but I didn’t really get much out of it. I purchased a mid-range driver shaft for a few bucks more than I could have bought it elsewhere, had him hot melt my driver head (turned out the head I brought in was best), and had him pull some tips from some extra shafts I had. I was pleased with the work.

Best “fitting” I’ve ever had was at a Titleist Thursday - and they are free.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

> @bfizzy said:

> Went in for a driver fitting, hit 20 balls with my gamer, and the fitter said, "Don't change, club fits all parameters you mentioned, but feel free to try anything you want here in the shop and I will refund your money!"

Probably because you already had an Accra in your driver... so he could not sell you one :)

I know two similar handicaps that went to the same club champion (Sandy Springs) just on the outskirts of Atlanta. Neither came back with remotely the same clubs, both had the same fitter.

Driver - Ping G410 with red Oban

3 wood - Cobra F9 with red Oban

Hybrid - Ping 410 with KBS graphite

Irons - P790 with Nippon 120's

Wedges were Ping

Driver - Epic Flash with Evenflo

3 wood - Cobra F9 with Pro Blue

Irons - Srixon 785 with KBS Tour

Wedges - Cleveland

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Here we go again!!

Two times I've been fit at Club Champion in NJ, near NYC.

1) With association of GolfWRX and Fuji, I was fit into a new Fuji shaft using the same 2016 M2 head I brought in. Obviously nothing was "pushed" on me, as this was a free fitting. The fitter changed me from a 60g Tensei Blue stiff @ 45.5'' to a Fuji Speeder Evo ii 661 stiff at 44.5''. I gained a total yardage of about 25 yards and much better dispersion. I was satisfied with the results. I tried about 5-6 different shaft combo's and this was the obvious winner of the bunch.

2) Putter fitting using SAM Lab. As a lefty, I regret doing this because they only had about 3-4 different putters for me to try. They just handed me stock putters and then recommended whatever it is the SAM tool told them to tell me (toe hang, grip size, etc). They did push a putter on me and I did buy it. I sold it for a large loss about 2 months later because I hated the way it felt and my putting got worse. I would not get a putter fitting there ever again.

> @golfnhack said:

> > @bfizzy said:

> > Went in for a driver fitting, hit 20 balls with my gamer, and the fitter said, "Don't change, club fits all parameters you mentioned, but feel free to try anything you want here in the shop and I will refund your money!"

>

> Probably because you already had an Accra in your driver... so he could not sell you one :)

Lol! Actually had a M3 with a Tensei Pro White when I went in to be fit. But yeah, they seem to love fitting people into Accra. Switched to the M5 / Accra on a whim after my fitting and loving it

I have never gone to club champion but a buddy that I recently played with just got fitted there. He was fitted in a Cobra F9 10.5 with a VA Slay shaft. I can tell you he only missed one fairway and just bombed the ball. I never even heard of that slay shaft but it was definitely the right fit for him. I know he paid $150 for the fitting and it didn't go towards buying the club from them but he felt he got his monies worth.