Jump to content

Your Club Champion Fitting Experience - Feedback wanted?


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

For those of you who have been fitted at a club champion, I was wondering if you would please share the following info. I am IN NO WAY associated with Club Champion. I promise there is a reason for asking this info... and I am hoping it will become self evident with the answers given. I am also hoping it will help others here considering getting fitted there.

 

* Do you feel that they tried to "push" a driver shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

* Do you feel that they tried to "push" a FW shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

* Do you feel that they tried to "push" an iron shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

* Which location were you fitted at

* Do you feel fitting was worth it

 

 

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver Fitting last week using my current F9 head. I was fitted for and almost committed to the Accra TZ5 55 M4. Just about finished with the fitting and he asked if I had any questions or if there were any shafts I wanted to try. So I said let me try that Pro Orange. Of course, it was way longer, straighter, lower spin, best smash factor, highest ball speed... So I had my wife buy the PO from them for my birthday. I won't say how much it cost, it is more than I would have paid ordering it from somewhere else, yes. But the headache of her not getting the right one, was worth the extra money in this case. I was fitted at the Nashville, TN (Franklin) location, and yes I feel like it was worth it. In the future I would get fitted there but not buy from them, if that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @KGilma said:

> Driver Fitting last week using my current F9 head. I was fitted for and almost committed to the Accra TZ5 55 M4. Just about finished with the fitting and he asked if I had any questions or if there were any shafts I wanted to try. So I said let me try that Pro Orange. Of course, it was way longer, straighter, lower spin, best smash factor, highest ball speed... So I had my wife buy the PO from them for my birthday. I won't say how much it cost, it is more than I would have paid ordering it from somewhere else, yes. But the headache of her not getting the right one, was worth the extra money in this case. I was fitted at the Nashville, TN (Franklin) location, and yes I feel like it was worth it. In the future I would get fitted there but not buy from them, if that helps.

 

Thank you... this is the EXACT answer I was looking for... and I promise... the start of a trend you will see as more people post.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @golfnhack said:

> > @KGilma said:

> > Driver Fitting last week using my current F9 head. I was fitted for and almost committed to the Accra TZ5 55 M4. Just about finished with the fitting and he asked if I had any questions or if there were any shafts I wanted to try. So I said let me try that Pro Orange. Of course, it was way longer, straighter, lower spin, best smash factor, highest ball speed... So I had my wife buy the PO from them for my birthday. I won't say how much it cost, it is more than I would have paid ordering it from somewhere else, yes. But the headache of her not getting the right one, was worth the extra money in this case. I was fitted at the Nashville, TN (Franklin) location, and yes I feel like it was worth it. In the future I would get fitted there but not buy from them, if that helps.

>

> Thank you... this is the EXACT answer I was looking for... and I promise... the start of a trend you will see as more people post.

I will say, I did not feel like they were trying to push any specific shaft on me. I hit a lot of different shafts, and those were the best fit for me.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my fitting done in Charlotte, NC for irons only. They did not try to push me into anything, seemed to go by numbers and listened to what I thought about the feel of the shaft as well. Only thing missing with the fitting is I wish it was an in to outdoor fitting so I could see the actual ball flight.

Titleist TSi3 8 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5

Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90X

Titleist T200 4 - Project X 6.5

Titleist T100 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM8 Jet Black 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @golfnhack said:

> Hi all,

>

> For those of you who have been fitted at a club champion, I was wondering if you would please share the following info. I am IN NO WAY associated with Club Champion. I promise there is a reason for asking this info... and I am hoping it will become self evident with the answers given. I am also hoping it will help others here considering getting fitted there.

>

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a driver shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a FW shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" an iron shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Which location were you fitted at

> * Do you feel fitting was worth it

>

>

 

No, I didn't feel they tried to push me towards any shaft. The fitter did suggest a starting point based on my current set and then we moved around from there. At the end of the day, there were about 3 shafts that were close to each other and he drew up cost estimates for all.

I actually asked him if he wasn't going to make a recommendation and he said not really. The results were pretty close so he felt it would be down to my preference. Also, as I understood all the metrics walking in the door, he thought I was well informed enough that he could leave me with the stats, just answer any questions I might have and that would be that.

Fitted at San Carlos, CA. Was worth it.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @IamMarkMac said:

> > @golfnhack said:

> > Hi all,

> >

> > For those of you who have been fitted at a club champion, I was wondering if you would please share the following info. I am IN NO WAY associated with Club Champion. I promise there is a reason for asking this info... and I am hoping it will become self evident with the answers given. I am also hoping it will help others here considering getting fitted there.

> >

> > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a driver shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a FW shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" an iron shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > * Which location were you fitted at

> > * Do you feel fitting was worth it

> >

> >

>

> No, I didn't feel they tried to push me towards any shaft. The fitter did suggest a starting point based on my current set and then we moved around from there. At the end of the day, there were about 3 shafts that were close to each other and he drew up cost estimates for all.

> I actually asked him if he wasn't going to make a recommendation and he said not really. The results were pretty close so he felt it would be down to my preference. Also, as I understood all the metrics walking in the door, he thought I was well informed enough that he could leave me with the stats, just answer any questions I might have and that would be that.

> Fitted at San Carlos, CA. Was worth it.

 

If I may ask... what were the 3 shafts you were choosing between?

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @golfnhack said:

 

>

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a driver shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a FW shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Do you feel that they tried to "push" an iron shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> * Which location were you fitted at

> * Do you feel fitting was worth it

>

>

 

1. No 2. No 3. No 4. Blackhawk 5. Yes

 

In my case I did end up fitting into what a lot of people say they steer too (Fuji wood shafts, Oban iron shafts), but the data was all there and very compelling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one of these threads?

 

1-3. No, in fact they didn't even push clubs on me as the heads I had performed equal or better than anything available at the time. All said and done my fitting resulted in a shaft change in the driver/3w, no change at all to the hybrid and just bending the irons a degree flat.

4. Willowbrook, IL

5. Yes, it confirmed that I'm pretty good at fitting myself based on what I'm seeing my golf ball do, but it also got me just a little extra out of my driver and fairway wood with the shaft change. It was also interesting seeing my swing and ball flight turned into numbers and data. Its nice knowing that as many variables as that are in golf, my equipment is not one of them.

 

 

Taylormade M3 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300 Taylormade M3 5 wood Accra FX 300 Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100 MG2 50/54/58 S400 TM Itsy Bitsy

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been fitted for 3 wood and hybrid shafts and in neither case did they (Portland store) try and sell me on a specific shaft brand. I made that choice, but it was pretty obvious which was best in both scenarios. What does bug me is that it then took 2 weeks to get the shafts in the store from Chicago for them to install. That is way too long just to send out some shafts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @golfnhack said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > @golfnhack said:

> > > Hi all,

> > >

> > > For those of you who have been fitted at a club champion, I was wondering if you would please share the following info. I am IN NO WAY associated with Club Champion. I promise there is a reason for asking this info... and I am hoping it will become self evident with the answers given. I am also hoping it will help others here considering getting fitted there.

> > >

> > > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a driver shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" a FW shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > > * Do you feel that they tried to "push" an iron shaft brand on you, and if so, which one?

> > > * Which location were you fitted at

> > > * Do you feel fitting was worth it

> > >

> > >

> >

> > No, I didn't feel they tried to push me towards any shaft. The fitter did suggest a starting point based on my current set and then we moved around from there. At the end of the day, there were about 3 shafts that were close to each other and he drew up cost estimates for all.

> > I actually asked him if he wasn't going to make a recommendation and he said not really. The results were pretty close so he felt it would be down to my preference. Also, as I understood all the metrics walking in the door, he thought I was well informed enough that he could leave me with the stats, just answer any questions I might have and that would be that.

> > Fitted at San Carlos, CA. Was worth it.

>

> If I may ask... what were the 3 shafts you were choosing between?

 

I'm looking at going into graphite. The shafts that worked for me were Mitsubishi OT110, Recoil125, SteelFiber fc115 (110 was good too). I'm not sure about Recoil 125 as i think I may have just hit them well on the day. 110-115 is generally my weight range. Then again, my only gauge of that is that I don't really hit 120g+ steel shafts particularly well. Maybe I can go heavier in graphite.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a Driver, fairway, iron fitting at Rockville, MD.

 

1-3. They didn’t push any particular shaft on me but did push PUREing or one of the other shaft alignment gimmicks. He did push the lightest weight options on me despite me telling him basically I didn’t care if we ended up in Senior Ladies flex so long as the weight was “mid” because that was what felt best.

 

4. See above.

 

5. Not worth it. Didn’t once address lie angle, loft, length, etc. Basically just banged balls on Trackman in more or less ‘poke and hope’ fashion. Wasn’t really a fitting but rather more of a high-end boutique demo session. Primary reasons it is not worth it in my view include: it is commonly accepted that launch and spin are different from mats than they are off turf and you can’t see ball flight. I might consider driver data acceptable given they are hit from tee but wouldn’t spend the money on anything struck from the ground.

 

In the end, “fitter” seemed like a nice guy and the experience was reasonably pleasant but I didn’t really get much out of it. I purchased a mid-range driver shaft for a few bucks more than I could have bought it elsewhere, had him hot melt my driver head (turned out the head I brought in was best), and had him pull some tips from some extra shafts I had. I was pleased with the work.

 

Best “fitting” I’ve ever had was at a Titleist Thursday - and they are free.

917D2 9.5 w/S+

2 x TS2 @ 16.5 and 21

2 x 818 H1 @ 22 and 26 w/AD-DI 95

ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW - Modus 105

SM7 50-12, Vokey Forged 56-12K, SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went in for a driver fitting, hit 20 balls with my gamer, and the fitter said, "Don't change, club fits all parameters you mentioned, but feel free to try anything you want here in the shop and I will refund your money!"

TM SIM 9.0* - Tensei Pro White 70TX
TM SIM 15* - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70tx
TM P790 3 Iron - KBS $-Taper X
TM P7MB 4-PW - MMT 125 TX
Taylormade MG2 52* / TW 56* TW 60* MMT Wedge 
Putter: Custom TM Spider S

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @bfizzy said:

> Went in for a driver fitting, hit 20 balls with my gamer, and the fitter said, "Don't change, club fits all parameters you mentioned, but feel free to try anything you want here in the shop and I will refund your money!"

 

Probably because you already had an Accra in your driver... so he could not sell you one :)

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know two similar handicaps that went to the same club champion (Sandy Springs) just on the outskirts of Atlanta. Neither came back with remotely the same clubs, both had the same fitter.

1.

Driver - Ping G410 with red Oban

3 wood - Cobra F9 with red Oban

Hybrid - Ping 410 with KBS graphite

Irons - P790 with Nippon 120's

Wedges were Ping

2.

Driver - Epic Flash with Evenflo

3 wood - Cobra F9 with Pro Blue

Irons - Srixon 785 with KBS Tour

Wedges - Cleveland

 

  • Driver - Epic Max LS
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons = Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons = Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, MD5 54*, 60* Mid Zipcore all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go again!!

 

Two times I've been fit at Club Champion in NJ, near NYC.

 

1) With association of GolfWRX and Fuji, I was fit into a new Fuji shaft using the same 2016 M2 head I brought in. Obviously nothing was "pushed" on me, as this was a free fitting. The fitter changed me from a 60g Tensei Blue stiff @ 45.5'' to a Fuji Speeder Evo ii 661 stiff at 44.5''. I gained a total yardage of about 25 yards and much better dispersion. I was satisfied with the results. I tried about 5-6 different shaft combo's and this was the obvious winner of the bunch.

 

2) Putter fitting using SAM Lab. As a lefty, I regret doing this because they only had about 3-4 different putters for me to try. They just handed me stock putters and then recommended whatever it is the SAM tool told them to tell me (toe hang, grip size, etc). They did push a putter on me and I did buy it. I sold it for a large loss about 2 months later because I hated the way it felt and my putting got worse. I would not get a putter fitting there ever again.

Taylormade SIM Max 9* @9.75*- Ventus Black 6x

Taylormade Sim Ti @16.5* - Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x (Testing Cobra F9 w/ Accra FX2.0 380 M5)

SIM Max 19* - HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 90 6.5 (trialing Cobra Speedzone w/ Fujikura Pro 95X & Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x)

Titleist 818H1 - Ventus Blue 10x

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6i, Forged CB 6-GW - AMT X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 54.12D, 58.8M @59* - S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Compass Golf Co. Atwood (Newport 2 Timeless Tri sole clone)

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @golfnhack said:

> > @bfizzy said:

> > Went in for a driver fitting, hit 20 balls with my gamer, and the fitter said, "Don't change, club fits all parameters you mentioned, but feel free to try anything you want here in the shop and I will refund your money!"

>

> Probably because you already had an Accra in your driver... so he could not sell you one :)

 

Lol! Actually had a M3 with a Tensei Pro White when I went in to be fit. But yeah, they seem to love fitting people into Accra. Switched to the M5 / Accra on a whim after my fitting and loving it

TM SIM 9.0* - Tensei Pro White 70TX
TM SIM 15* - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70tx
TM P790 3 Iron - KBS $-Taper X
TM P7MB 4-PW - MMT 125 TX
Taylormade MG2 52* / TW 56* TW 60* MMT Wedge 
Putter: Custom TM Spider S

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never gone to club champion but a buddy that I recently played with just got fitted there. He was fitted in a Cobra F9 10.5 with a VA Slay shaft. I can tell you he only missed one fairway and just bombed the ball. I never even heard of that slay shaft but it was definitely the right fit for him. I know he paid $150 for the fitting and it didn't go towards buying the club from them but he felt he got his monies worth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Valero Texas Open - discussion & links
      Please put any questions or comments here. 
       
      This week, the PGA Tour is at TPC San Antonio on the Oaks Course for the Valero Texas Open. GolfWRX was on-site Tuesday to catch a glimpse into the bags of some of the world’s top golfers.
       
      The field of 144 is getting ready to battle starting Thursday for the $7.7 million purse, with $1.386 million going to the winner. The tournament is also the last event where players can qualify for The Masters, just like Canadian Corey Conners did last year.
       
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.
       

       
      2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #1 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #2 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #3 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #4 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #5 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #6 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #7 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #8  


       
      Cameron putters (added Bernd Wiesberger's custom T-11) -2021 Valero Texas Open Piretti putters -2021 Valero Texas Open Branden Grace testing AutoFlex shaft @ 2021 Valero Texas Open  
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.
       

       
        • Like
      • 29 replies
    • **GIVEAWAY** Odyssey Ten Triple Track Putter! ENTER NOW!
      NEW Odyssey Ten Triple Track putter giveaway!!!.To enter reply in this thread that you're IN!
       
      That's it. You'll be entered into the giveaway (one entry per person). Winner chosen at random in two weeks. Be sure to check out the attached pics. Good luck!
       
      If you are not a member her please register here to allow you to reply to this post and enter. Registration is free... https://forums.golfwrx.com/register/
      ======================================================================================================
      We randomize all the number of posts and the #1 number on the top is the winner. Say there is 1,000 replies from members. We will randomize 1 to 1,000 using a website that has a randomizer. It scrambles the numbers and the #1 is the first place and the #2 is the second etc. If the winner has duplicate entries we count the first
       





       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 1,599 replies
    • 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #1
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #2
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #3
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #4
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #5
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #6
       
       

       
      Hideki testing putters at WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Odyssey/Toulon Atlanta putter - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Cameron putters - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Patrick Reed testing TPT shafts 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
       
       
      • 54 replies
    • 2021 Players - discussion and links
      Please post any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Players - Monday #1
      2021 Players - Monday #2
      2021 Players - Monday #3
      2021 Players - Monday #4
      2021 Players - Tuesday #1
      2021 Players - Tuesday #2
      2021 Players - Tuesday #3
      2021 Players - Tuesday #4
      2021 Players - Tuesday #5
      2021 Players - Tuesday #6
       
       

       
      Maverick McNealy's custom 1 of 1 Callaway Apex MB irons - 2021 Players
      Adam Long's Cameron T-5 proto - 2021 Players
      Abraham Ancer's custom Muira irons and custom MMT shafts - 2021 Players
      Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Players
      Jon Rahm's bag - 2021 Players
      Xander Schauffele's bag - 2021 Players
      Sergio with a Cameron putter - 2021 Players
      Cameron T11 & 11.5 putters - 2021 Players
      Sergio Garcia's clubs - 2021 Players
      Scott Brown's Odyssey gamer - 2021 Players
       
       
       
      • 52 replies
    • 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard @ Bay Hill - Discussion & links
      John Augenstein WITB - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      Jason Dufner testing a new Cobra 3D printed putter - 2021 Arnold Palmer invitational
      Rickie Fowler clubs - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      Cameron T-11.5 putters - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      New LA Golf driver & putter shafts - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      Justin Rose - Axis putters - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      New UST Mamiya Dart iron shaft - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
       

       
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #1
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #2
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #3
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #4
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #5
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #6
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #7
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #8
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #9
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #10
       

       
       
      • 13 replies

×
×
  • Create New...