Slicefixer. Any updates? Anyone still working with him?

1 hour ago, hoganfan924 said:

3X/year is a bit much of a commitment for me as I have many other interests and obligations that consume my time, and I know Geoff's deal pretty well, as I was also helping him with his book.  Just I hadn't seen him (or practiced much) since 2015, so needed a kick in the pants to get back on track. Geoff's always been very trustful of me to share some of his higher level stuff that he'd never written about here, and I've just seen his stuff work so well for so many students.  What always blew me away is how incredibly efficient his students swings are.  No "extra" or unnecessary moves.  Very tight swings with lots of speed.  What he teaches also fit well with my natural tendencies (I was always an "O'grady Cp" releaser).  Strengthening the grip (which was the #1 change I've made in the last few months) was a very difficult change to make, but I've stuck with it and am at a point where I can even fade it now.   It was essential to make that change in order to incorporate the other elements, and be able to get some lag and speed back.  Ballstriking has really started to come together, and although distances are a bit tough to judge hitting crappy range balls in 30F temperatures, impact is feeling solid again. Can't wait for spring and going for a full bag fitting.  Hopefully, I can get my HDCP. established and low enough to maybe get into some tournament play.  

That’s some great progress. Geoff’s swing does work and can be seen in countless number of his junior students. I’m just an old guy trying to make swing upgrades using Geoff’s model swing as a guide. However, it’s difficult making lasting changes on my own without seeing Geoff regularly. It seems I always veer away from his teachings when I’m a struggling and needing help. 

• Like 1

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

8 hours ago, hoganfan924 said:

Super impressive that you got to scratch with not starting until you were 29.  That's extremely rare, and says a lot about your process and work ethic.  And a round with 18 GIR's!  Wow!  You did a lot better than the "Dan Plan" guy.  😉 Big congratulations to both you and your daughter!  Hopefully Geoff will get back to NY sometime this year or maybe do another Masters trip, and we'll have a chance to meet down the road.

That would be great. I moved to FL 2 years ago, so no longer in Jersey. I'd love to do that Masters trip with fellow Slicefixer students!

• Like 4

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

9 minutes ago, dpb5031 said:

That would be great. I moved to FL 2 years ago, so no longer in Jersey. I'd love to do that Masters trip with fellow Slicefixer students!

I think the masters trip would be awesome!  Hopefully Geoff does it again and Even though I’m so far down the preferred guest list I still get lucky enough to get an invite. 

Edited by LowAndLeft32
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

• 1 month later...

Only heard positives from those who have had lessons with him, fwiw

• Like 1

Current WITB:

Titleist TSR3 9.5 - Ventus Velocore Black 6X / Tensei 1K Black 6TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3+ - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 7X

Taylor Made UDI 2 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Taylor Made P790 3 and 4 - KBS C-Taper 120S

Taylor Made P760 5-PW - KBS C-Taper 120S

Callaway MD5 Jaws 52.12 W and 58.12 X - DG 115 Wedge

Toulon Las Vegas 2022 - Stroke Lab 34"

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/30/2021 at 11:35 PM, nitram said:

This is a generalization of where he says the club should fit in the lead hand. Just remember, being able to squeeze the last three fingers of the lead hand and the two middle fingers of the trail hand are the 'controllers' of the club face. Hope this helps.

Slicefixer grip.jpg

This is the grip I've stumbled upon and am hitting it great. I am barely holding onto the club it is so far in my fingers and just barely touches the upper palm. In fact I called it an "extreme finger grip" in my notes after practicing and noticing how easy it was to release the club with much less effort with among the highest clubhead speed I've ever had.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 hour ago, PeterBelgium said:

Hi,

The video with Spider showing 9-3 on Chopin music is no longer on Youtube 😞

This is a shame because imho the video summed up the SF-swing really well. Does anyone have a copy of the video or a copy of the text on the video?

Many thanks!

Peter (from Belgium)

The original video before the music and captions is still on Geoff's old Youtube channel.  He doesn't post to it anymore but it has a lot of his students from the past on there.

Here is Matt's 9-3 

Edited by otto6457

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, CallawayLefty said:

Zack Fischer looking to win Q school for a second time...

Zack pulled it off!  Four players tied at -13 and he buries a 6 footer on the 18th green to get to -14 for his second Q-School win.  He's fully exempt into every Korn Ferry Tournament for 2022.

Heck of a player

• Like 1

That 6 footer was more like 12 and he buried it (just watched the video).  I’m really happy for him.  He obviously has a ton of game down in there and I hope it shows up for him this coming season.  I walked a round with his parents on the web a few years ago and he seems like a really nice guy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CallawayLefty said:

That 6 footer was more like 12 and he buried it (just watched the video).  I’m really happy for him.  He obviously has a ton of game down in there and I hope it shows up for him this coming season.  I walked a round with his parents on the web a few years ago and he seems like a really nice guy. 

Yes, I think it was closer to 12 feet.  Kozan had an 8 footer to tie him but missed.  Kind of a shame that 3 other guys missed out on full exemption when Zack made the putt, but with Kozan inside of him, he had to bury it, and he did.

I was exchanging messages with Geoff throughout the day, and he kept saying Zack would win, even after his stumble on 10.  Hit a flyer 9-iron 185 and over the green, tough chip and 3-putted for his only double of the week.  Pretty cool to be the only 2-time Q-school champion ever!  Geoff has a lot of confidence that Zack will win this year.  Geoff's a huge believer in playing for pars and letting birdies happen, and that's how Zack played in 2013 to shoot -31, and how he approaches the game.  He led the field in bogey avoidance with only 4 for the tournament.  Zack's added some speed in the last year to get more competitive with the longer guys, as he always had a very short swing.

Zack was one of the HS kids practicing at Geoff's place when I first went to visit him in 2007.  I was amazed at how well all of those kids could swing it and hit it.  It was unreal.  Geoff told me back then that Zack was one of his "kids" that had a good chance to make it. Can't believe it's been 14 years!

• Like 3

On 10/9/2021 at 5:48 PM, chipa said:

This is the grip I've stumbled upon and am hitting it great. I am barely holding onto the club it is so far in my fingers and just barely touches the upper palm. In fact I called it an "extreme finger grip" in my notes after practicing and noticing how easy it was to release the club with much less effort with among the highest clubhead speed I've ever had.

Hey, I recognize that picture! Was in my gallery before the purge.  lol
Just keep in mind that these lines work when you hold the club out in front of you parallel to the ground and the shaft pointing at your left hip, you place your hand directly from underneath the grip to place it between those line, then wrap your fingers around.  Should give a "3-knuckle+" grip for an average sized hand.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hoganfan924 said:

Yes, I think it was closer to 12 feet.  Kozan had an 8 footer to tie him but missed.  Kind of a shame that 3 other guys missed out on full exemption when Zack made the putt, but with Kozan inside of him, he had to bury it, and he did.

I was exchanging messages with Geoff throughout the day, and he kept saying Zack would win, even after his stumble on 10.  Hit a flyer 9-iron 185 and over the green, tough chip and 3-putted for his only double of the week.  Pretty cool to be the only 2-time Q-school champion ever!  Geoff has a lot of confidence that Zack will win this year.  Geoff's a huge believer in playing for pars and letting birdies happen, and that's how Zack played in 2013 to shoot -31, and how he approaches the game.  He led the field in bogey avoidance with only 4 for the tournament.  Zack's added some speed in the last year to get more competitive with the longer guys, as he always had a very short swing.

Zack was one of the HS kids practicing at Geoff's place when I first went to visit him in 2007.  I was amazed at how well all of those kids could swing it and hit it.  It was unreal.  Geoff told me back then that Zack was one of his "kids" that had a good chance to make it. Can't believe it's been 14 years!

That is funny. I met Zack down at Geoff’s right around 2009ish when he was in college.  We had a little wedge contest one day.  I hope he finds that next gear this year.  It’s so tough out there but a few good weeks (like the one he just had) can change everything.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2019 at 6:14 PM, BrianMcG said:

Well, he doesn't post here anymore. He still has a following, they just take actual lessons from him. This site is just a small microcosom that makes up less than .000000000000000001% of golfers.

What?  Not everyone knows about this beautiful place?!  It really is awesome.  Shhhh ok let’s keep it on the DL

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2020 at 12:41 AM, TexasTurf said:

Just run away now. It works to an extent but it's not dynamic. Better options are available. My swing sucks but this path is not one that you want to follow.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:47 PM, gators78 said:

Rocco is also a sneaky great athlete, in his prime the round build and high waisted pants would hide it, but that dude is really athletic. Just absolutely flushes it too. 

On 3/31/2021 at 7:58 PM, LowAndLeft32 said:

Is there any long distance slicefixer students that really succeed with his swing and teaching? Would love to hear any success stories. 

Hi. I live in Toronto and discovered Geoff here many years ago. After reading the "Encyclopedia"... and making some progress on my own... I finally got to visit Geoff in the fall of 2013. 

It was one of the coolest, best golf experiences of my life. I'm 56 and have been avid since I was 14.

I stayed in touch with Geoff some... but COVID (and other life complications) put a hold on my golf. I went from a 3 x a week player to basically 2 nine hole rounds in the the last two seasons. 

I miss the golf a lot and hope to return this year. The 2019 season was the best of my life... lowest HDCP, hole-in-one

As for Geoff... those 2 days visiting really helped me. I can't say enough good things about him. Just a good man. 

I too wish he had published that book. 

Peace and cheers to all of you. I recall some of the names in this thread. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 8:59 AM, Gawbage_man said:

I will be traveling through Texarkana this summer and will have some time.  How do I get in touch with Geoff to set something up?  Thanks.

Call 903-244-7123. Leave a message if he doesn't answer.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:15 PM, VOL4Life82 said:

I kept a copy of the text. Here it is.

• The swing starts with the right shoulder and hip travelling backwards …
  • At the same time, the right knee holds its flex and brace … The brace is important so you feel the stretch that will automate the transition. 
  • Getting set up properly is key. Note the rear hip is lower than the front hip and remains that way during the swing
  • Note how the hips are turning in a circle, some might say a barrel …
  • As the right shoulder goes back with the hip, the left shoulder stretches across under the chin. This creates a torque. (As long as the right knee is still braced!!!)
  • The turning point of the shoulder is the vertebrae between the shoulder blades …
    • The upper vertebrae hold their position … The golfer moves around them, but they remain where they are!
  • The arms move in sync with the body … Note the triangle remains constant all the way to the top!
  • The arms stop precisely when the body stops. Not a nanosecond later. This is key!
  • The left arm rotates on the backswing to shallow out the swing and get it on plane.
  • There is NO re-rotation of the left forearm on the downswing …
  • The arms are now ready to be pulled down their established plane by the turning of the core … the left/front side.
  • The arms are pulled down plane and around the corner by the left core turning around the corner.
  • The rear knee and hip make a small lateral move to the target to start the downswing …
  • This causes the stretched left side to instinctively clear … like an automated downswing. 
  • After the wrists have set and hinged in the backswing they must be maintained. Hold the leverage.
  • Note how the arms stay in front of the sternum throughout the swing!!!
  • The triangle of the arms is maintained in front of the sternum down and around!!!
  • The arms move IN SYNC with the upper torso. Never LAGGING. Never AHEAD.
  • Near impact the upper arms feel connected to the upper chest. This causes the triangle to go left with the upper torso.
  • As the arms are pulled around the corner … the natural path for the hands … are to go around at belt height.
  • LOW and LEFT
  • This is how the club is released. AS the butt of the club turns the corner.
  • THE FACE SQUARES UP
  • PHYSICS NOT HANDS
  • VERY CONSISTENT AND RELIABLE

No audio but this is the footage used for the aforementioned 9 to 3 drill video.

Edited by nitram
  • Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 3/31/2022 at 2:11 PM, chigolfer1 said:

I wasted so many hours back in the day doing those 9 to 3s thinking I was somehow following what was in the encyclopedia. lol.   I'm not "blaming" anyone or saying the method is invalid, just laughing at myself thinking I was doing any good to improve my messed up hacker swing.

I start every practice session with the 9-3. It helps me get the correct motion and rotation while loosening my golf muscles up. It's amazing how far you can hit it with such a simple motion. 

• Like 1

Man this thread is a trip down memory lane of 2013 WRX. Such a great time reading all the slice threads and watching his students videos on YouTube. ET is great but IMO books are usually a terrible medium unless you’re reinforcing something you have learned directly.  Too often perception is not reality as many of you know. 

• Like 3