New Ping i210s or re shaft s55s

First post, forgive the length. I'm in the market for my first set of new irons. I've only played used irons, Ping eye2s starting in 2013, then onto i20s in late 2017. I've been planning on the i200/i210 as my first brand new set and first shaft fitting. Recently I came across a cheap set of s55's with the modus 120 stiff. I figured what the hell I can play these while I sell the i20s to add to the new iron fund, plus try out an upgraded shaft. I am loving the s55. My miss with the i20s was hitting shots fat, even good shots sometimes had huge divots. Strangely, I'm not having this problem with the s55. I was worried this would be the biggest challenge of the smaller more demanding club. Perhaps the heavier swing weight is helping?

Now I could go on and on about the shafts, but in short I have found I like Nippon, and the modus 130 is a better fit for me than the 120.

So my question is should I just re shaft the s55 with the 130s? Or just buy a new set of 210s with the 130.. Obviously price is a big difference, $400ish vs $1300ish. Is the upgrade to the newer 210 worth it? The s55 looks and feels so good to me. I've only hit the 210 with the d.g. 120 and didn't love the feel, but I'm sure that would improve with the modus.

I am a 10 handicap with iron play and iron shaping being a strength. I'm finding the s55 very playable, not sure how many strokes I would save with the i210.

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe just play the S55 as is? If you're hitting them well.........

buy the i210's and sell me the s55's

Reshaft. You'll find that the i210 is quite a bit different from the s55. Sole width being the biggest adjustment you'll face. I just tried the i210's against my iBlades. i210's are really nice irons,

+1 for reshaft or find some i200’s. The i210’s are expensive and inferior to your current clubs and the i200’s.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @sdandrea said:

> Maybe just play the S55 as is? If you're hitting them well.........

This. The modus 120 are fantastic shafts and IMO fit a wider range of golfer than the 130. Did you see a drastic difference on monitor or something? If they're working on the course well I'd stick with them...

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 8* Rogue White 130MSI 70x | Ventus Black 6x

Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* Rogue White 130MSI 80x | Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB, 56* TW Grind, 60* TW Grind Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey WH Pro #7 | Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Srixon Z-Star XV

Ping Hoofer

Thanks for the responses. In regards to the shaft I’ve had to change my swing and set up to get along with the 120. I’ve never got along with ‘whip’ like shafts. I have to set up with little shaft lean and really concentrate to swing smoother for the 120. I’ve always preferred to play the ball slighlty back to come down on it and really trap it. I’ve read this is what the 130 is suited for and then was able to pick up a gap wedge with 130. I know a short club isn’t the best a gauge but I can tell the 130 works better and just feels better in my hands.

130 is a superior shaft in all respects compared to 120. My opinion of course. I’d describe the 120 as a whip just like you do. I’ve played the 130 for 3 seasons now and never once hit a shaft that performed better. And I’ve tested them all.

• Like 1

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Pxg Gen 2 0317X 3h  kbs 95 s+ 

Titleist T100 [email protected]*  modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

The i210s look much better to me than the 200s but still much different than the S55. For what they are, the S55 are pretty darn forgiving but the 210 may offer just a little bit more. I'd try to grab the 210s but keep the S55 close by. Hit them against each other then make the decision, but wouldn't surprise me if you stuck with the 55s. I moved my S55s in favor of 200s and quickly went back...

PXG 0811 XF Gen 2 Tour AD IZ7s

Srixon F85 15*  Aldila Rogue silver 70s

PXG 0311X DI 4, 20.5* UST Proforce V2 80s

Srixon Z785 4-P Modus 120 S

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52/12, 56/12, 60/8

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Snell MTB black

Read my post "keep going back to s55's"

You could always order a new set of 55's to your specs ... shaft, lie, length, swingweight etc

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Blueboard ion 73x G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* KK Slvr 80x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M, & Vokey Special 60*P

Scotty GoLo 7

I also think you should reshaft, or just keep playing the 120s. The i210 is a great iron, but s55’s might be the best Ping iron since the Eye2. I prefer a matched gap wedge or else I would love some s55 or iBlades.

Ping G LST 9 Evenflow Blue

TM M2 Tour 15 HZRDUS Smoke

Callaway Apex('19) 20 Catalyst

Ping I500 4-5 AWT 2.0

Ping I200 6-P AWT 2.0

Callaway MD4 50s, 54c, 58s S200-S400

Odyssey White Damascus 1, Bobby Grace DCT

I wouldn't reshaft without going through a proper fitting or at least more complete testing of the Modus 130. The 130 is a great shaft with a very unique profile, but I don't think it works for a broad range of golfers. You need to get more information than just hitting it in a wedge, why not just reshaft one of your longer irons to see how it works?

• Like 1

> @Tommyj said:

> I wouldn't reshaft without going through a proper fitting or at least more complete testing of the Modus 130. The 130 is a great shaft with a very unique profile, but I don't think it works for a broad range of golfers. You need to get more information than just hitting it in a wedge, why not just reshaft one of your longer irons to see how it works?

Unfortunately my shop doesn't have the 130 shaft for Ping to demo only the 105 ( I was hitting moon shots with the x flex). Perhaps they have it in a mizuno cart or something but it was super busy so I didn't bother asking. Shafting one iron to test is probably the smart thing to do, but I don't have the patience. I'm tired of adjusting my swing to make the 120 work, I want the shaft to work with my real swing. I have a late release with a good amount of lag, steep attack angle, and tend to get quick with lighter shafts. I don't like the way I can feel the 120 bending by my hands, it really messes me up on knock downs and even simple punch shots out of the trees. Id love to have extensive testing with all shafts but its not really an option for me. This comment brings me comfort that I'm on the right track with my decision:

> @bladehunter said:

> 130 is a superior shaft in all respects compared to 120. My opinion of course. I’d describe the 120 as a whip just like you do. I’ve played the 130 for 3 seasons now and never once hit a shaft that performed better. And I’ve tested them all.

> @adh2k1 said:

> I also think you should reshaft, or just keep playing the 120s. The i210 is a great iron, but s55’s might be the best Ping iron since the Eye2. I prefer a matched gap wedge or else I would love some s55 or iBlades.

I have asked at my local pro and golf shops if someone had bought a set of new or used matching serial number s55s and wanted one bad enough would ping make them a set matching U wedge? Don't know why they couldn't use the PW head to produce a Ping s55 U wedge. The answer I got is don't think so but let me call to which I reply don't bother yet till I get a set of s55s. From looking on bst and e-bay the s55s almost seem sacred as to the pricing of used ones and are rarely in all that good shape. At least that's what it seems to me like.

> @Enduro59 said:

> > @adh2k1 said:

> > I also think you should reshaft, or just keep playing the 120s. The i210 is a great iron, but s55’s might be the best Ping iron since the Eye2. I prefer a matched gap wedge or else I would love some s55 or iBlades.

>

> I have asked at my local pro and golf shops if someone had bought a set of new or used matching serial number s55s and wanted one bad enough would ping make them a set matching U wedge? Don't know why they couldn't use the PW head to produce a Ping s55 U wedge. The answer I got is don't think so but let me call to which I reply don't bother yet till I get a set of s55s. From looking on bst and e-bay the s55s almost seem sacred as to the pricing of used ones and are rarely in all that good shape. At least that's what it seems to me like.

Good to know. I will probably get some S55's if I come across a nice set in my specs. I have a hunch that an i200 U will look massive next to the S55.

Ping G LST 9 Evenflow Blue

TM M2 Tour 15 HZRDUS Smoke

Callaway Apex('19) 20 Catalyst

Ping I500 4-5 AWT 2.0

Ping I200 6-P AWT 2.0

Callaway MD4 50s, 54c, 58s S200-S400

Odyssey White Damascus 1, Bobby Grace DCT

> @Enduro59 said:

> > @adh2k1 said:

> > I also think you should reshaft, or just keep playing the 120s. The i210 is a great iron, but s55’s might be the best Ping iron since the Eye2. I prefer a matched gap wedge or else I would love some s55 or iBlades.

>

> I have asked at my local pro and golf shops if someone had bought a set of new or used matching serial number s55s and wanted one bad enough would ping make them a set matching U wedge? Don't know why they couldn't use the PW head to produce a Ping s55 U wedge. The answer I got is don't think so but let me call to which I reply don't bother yet till I get a set of s55s. From looking on bst and e-bay the s55s almost seem sacred as to the pricing of used ones and are rarely in all that good shape. At least that's what it seems to me like.

I added the Glide gap wedge to my S55’s, with same shaft, working out fine. It was expensive though compared to what I paid for the S55’s.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

I would go 120 x stiff over any 130. I really do not like that shaft. It is for golfers with a very late release (Sergio Garcia) and there are not many of those. If the 120 feels whip like get a stiffer version. And that is all feel — it still plays to flex. But the X is easy to handle. The 120 is actually described by nippon as the shaft that will “stay stable” for a wider variety of swing styles, for early or mid-release, and that is most golfers. It is great for trapping the ball as you describe.

For me, on less than full swings the 130 was plain awful. Like I said, late release needed every time. If you love it great but I found it to be the nippon shaft I liked the least.

Thanks for the responses. I have decided to re shaft the s55, though still not sure on what shaft. To appease my curiosity I did order an i210 3 iron to go with my 4-pw s55. I ordered it with the 130. Kinda goofy that my testing of the 130 will be with a gap wedge and a 3 iron but whatever, better than a blind purchase.

> @dmeeksDC said:

> I would go 120 x stiff over any 130. I really do not like that shaft. It is for golfers with a very late release (Sergio Garcia) and there are not many of those. If the 120 feels whip like get a stiffer version. And that is all feel — it still plays to flex. But the X is easy to handle. The 120 is actually described by nippon as the shaft that will “stay stable” for a wider variety of swing styles, for early or mid-release, and that is most golfers. It is great for trapping the ball as you describe.

> For me, on less than full swings the 130 was plain awful. Like I said, late release needed every time. If you love it great but I found it to be the nippon shaft I liked the least.

Interesting timing on this, as I've been thinking about the 120x now too. With my 120 stiff any swing over 75% goes left but ballooning hasn't happened much. In fact I love the forward flight of the 120 and feel at impact. Don't love the feel of it in the down swing, no control. The whippyness throws off my timing. My shop didn't have the 130 to demo, but I'm guessing they will have the 120x.

My 3 iron will get here on thursday. Hopefully after some time with it and a chance to demo the 120x I'll have the answer.

> @TyHeat said:

> > @tatertot said:

> > > @matchavez said:

> > > Buy a *separate* s55 set and get them changed out.

> >

> > Second this ...

>

> I haven't found a set in better condition then the set I have.

I know what you mean. I have been looking for a nice used set of s55 irons to replace my Cobra ssi set for about a year now. There have been a few sets on bst that looked good in the photos and priced right but sold before I could act. All the ones I have seen on e-bay and in the pre owned racks locally look like fido's rear end and are priced way more than I will pay. Also most of the used sets I find are nowhere near my"specs".The last time I checked Callaway pre owned all the s55 iron sets they had were rated as their lowest condition and still priced above $380. Quite a bit more than PGA value guide suggests. Yeah I know PGA value guide is only for how much the "junk"I am trying to sell is worth,certainly anything I would like to buy is worth so much more. Rant over. I am going to keep looking.

@TyHeat , won't PING build you a brand new set of S55's as long as you have the serial numbers?

PING G410 LST Mitsubishi CK Orange
PING G410 19* Hybrid Mitsubishi CK Pro Blue 80 Stiff
PING I200 4-PW Red Dot KBS C-Taper R110
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Red Dot AWT Wedge Flex
RTX-3 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Ping Anser2 

> @TPG1971 said:

> @TyHeat , won't PING build you a brand new set of S55's as long as you have the serial numbers?

Nope, they put a limit on the number of new clubs you can get per serial number.

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Tech A4, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide ES, 56*
Putter: Ping Classic Stainless Steel Anser 2
Ball: Bridgestone B RX
Bag: Ping Mascot

> @tatertot said:

> > @TPG1971 said:

> > @TyHeat , won't PING build you a brand new set of S55's as long as you have the serial numbers?

>

> Nope, they put a limit on the number of new clubs you can get per serial number.

Unless you are Bubba, who may play s55s for the rest of his life.

• Like 1

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Apex 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW

PING Glide ss 50°
Titleist Vokey SM7 S 54°, K 60°

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black R-Line Arrow

> @TyHeat said:

> To appease my curiosity I did order an i210 3 iron to go with my 4-pw s55. I ordered it with the 130.

I got the i210s with the 3i...it's the best club in my bag. A little different shaft, but it's the best feeling long iron I've hit since the Ping Zing.

Driver: A carousel...

Driving Iron: PING G410 2i Crossover; DG SL 105x

Irons: PING i210 3-PW blue dot; KBS C Taper 125 S+ (hard step +1)

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; KBS C Taper S+

Putter: TOULON Austin 33" with a bit of lead tape...

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)