2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Chicago advice

Parrotheadgolfer

Annual guys golf trip, heading to Chicago weekend of June 23 - have some questions about rounds courses.

* Round 1 - planning to play on Thursday arrival day to open up all day Friday for Wrigley. Some of the group gets in around 2:00 so probably going straight to course and not doing rental car, so have already been in contact with Harborside about luggage storage and changing, all is good. Two questions, if flights arrive at 2:10, whats realistic tee time going from Midway to Harborside and second question - which of the two would you recommend?

* Round 2 - have the first tee times at twilight 4pm at Cog Hill Dubsdread. Any issues with not finishing? What time will it get dark? I know a lot of times when you have a pretty big price drop that a lot of people wont pay full freight just before twilight so hoping first of our three groups will be able to set a decent pace.

Round 3 - still debating, but curious about Ravisloe as final round choice? Its a Sunday, morning round need it to be more in the $75-80 range price wise.

Advice much appreciated...

You flying Southwest? I've had my luggage arrive as late as 1 hour after the plane touches down. I wouldn't book any earlier than 4 pm. 4:30 might still be pushing it. Outbound I-94 can be a nightmare. You're better off taking I-294 (Tri-state).

I prefer the Starboard course. Less gimmicky

I think you'll be able to finish at Dubs on 6/23. Sunset is at 8:30 pm.

Ravisloe is a fine choice.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Echoing Argonne. Midway for some reason can take awhile at baggage claim. I've never had to wait an hour, but 30 min some times. Flew in today and it was the quickest I have ever had my bags, less than 10 min once I got to the claim. I would think 45 min-hour to get there from midway at that time.

You should have no problem what so ever finishing cog. I get the 4pm tee time quite often and never have any issues. Honestly, the course doesn't THAT much play.

I love Ravisloe, solid choice ?

Argonne is your guy when it comes to all things Chicago golf. He could write a great guide/book IMO. One thing I'll throw in, I just played Calumet CC yesterday. Calumet is also a Donald Ross course and I thought it was a better collection of holes than Ravisloe. They're right next to each other and I think the pre pay option for Calumet is cheaper. Hopefully by then some of these courses will have dried out, they're all sloppy messes, both Ravisloe and Calumet are fairways only with the golf carts which is the first time In my 30+ years of playing I've heard something like that.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @Parrotheadgolfer said:

> Thanks for the advice guys, so how long will it take from Midway to Harborside that time of day, like 2:30-3:30 (depending upon how long it takes bags)

It's 20 miles from Midway to Harborside via Cicero Ave/I-55N/I-94E. There can be backups on the inbound Stevenson Expressway (I-55), and by mid-afternoon you'll start to see backups on the outbound Dan Ryan Expressway (I-94). On a bad day it can take an hour to get to Harborside from the I-55/I-94 junction, but that's usually later in the rush period. When you're about to leave Midway, if the travel times are excessive, you could take Cicero Ave south to 95th St, and then head east. It's a shorter route (16 miles), with plenty of traffic lights, but it should be a fairly consistent travel time of ~45 minutes.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Thanks for route info and advice, much appreciated, hope rideshare guys will know that. I guess the question is, is there a good alternative to Harborside that might be closer travel time from Midway airport. Guys will be Uber/Lyft as we usually do not rent cars. The price to rent cars large enough for all of us with bags, the cost to park at downtown hotels, plus not having to worry about driving if guys want to have a few pops on or off the course, the last 10 years of doing this trip, the cost of doing Uber vs Rental has been either on the side of Uber OR close enough its not worth the hassle of rental and responsibility.

> @MountainKing said:

> Argonne is your guy when it comes to all things Chicago golf. He could write a great guide/book IMO. One thing I'll throw in, I just played Calumet CC yesterday. Calumet is also a Donald Ross course and I thought it was a better collection of holes than Ravisloe. They're right next to each other and I think the pre pay option for Calumet is cheaper. Hopefully by then some of these courses will have dried out, they're all sloppy messes, both Ravisloe and Calumet are fairways only with the golf carts which is the first time In my 30+ years of playing I've heard something like that.

"Fairway Only"? Yeah dont recall seeing that much. Thanks for the tip on Calumet.

> Thanks for route info and advice, much appreciated, hope rideshare guys will know that. I guess the question is, is there a good alternative to Harborside that might be closer travel time from Midway airport. Guys will be Uber/Lyft as we usually do not rent cars. The price to rent cars large enough for all of us with bags, the cost to park at downtown hotels, plus not having to worry about driving if guys want to have a few pops on or off the course, the last 10 years of doing this trip, the cost of doing Uber vs Rental has been either on the side of Uber OR close enough its not worth the hassle of rental and responsibility.

I don't think you mentioned where you are staying? Downtown? There are a number of suburban courses that are ~10 miles further from Midway than Harborside, but would leave you with a much longer trip back into the city, e.g. Mistwood, Cantigny. The Preserve (DuPage County) would be a good alternative, but the place has been rather wet with the record rainfall. Most of the courses within 20 miles of Midway are fairly forgettable munis. 'Playable, but not top 10/20 material.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Parrotheadgolfer said:

> > Thanks for route info and advice, much appreciated, hope rideshare guys will know that. I guess the question is, is there a good alternative to Harborside that might be closer travel time from Midway airport. Guys will be Uber/Lyft as we usually do not rent cars. The price to rent cars large enough for all of us with bags, the cost to park at downtown hotels, plus not having to worry about driving if guys want to have a few pops on or off the course, the last 10 years of doing this trip, the cost of doing Uber vs Rental has been either on the side of Uber OR close enough its not worth the hassle of rental and responsibility.

>

> I don't think you mentioned where you are staying? Downtown? There are a number of suburban courses that are ~10 miles further from Midway than Harborside, but would leave you with a much longer trip back into the city, e.g. Mistwood, Cantigny. The Preserve (DuPage County) would be a good alternative, but the place has been rather wet with the record rainfall. Most of the courses within 20 miles of Midway are fairly forgettable munis. 'Playable, but not top 10/20 material.

Yes downtown River North area. Originally we were hoping would be enough time for those flying in to get to the hotel and go to course from there, but that just does not seem realistic. Of the courses we were looking at for the tournament overall, Haborside seemed to be the one that made sense for that day logistically. We did this trip about a decade ago and one of the messages in the ballot was taking it up a notch from our last trip. Last time we were in Southern Burbs, not that far from Midway (think a circular shaped Hilton near a Hooters is all I remember) had a great day at Wrigley on Friday, golf was solid we played Big Run (which most of the group really liked and still talk about fondly), Dunne and Palmira in Indiana. So this trip was stay downtown and play courses with a little bit more pub and juice.

If it were up to me, I'd scratch harborside all together. Play Cog that first night, I would think it would actually take less time to get there than Harborside and 4pm tee off would be pretty doable I would imagine. Then round 2 go to Glen Club, which will actually be a shorter Uber from River North and back than Cog. Then end with Ravisloe.

• Like 1

You can play glen club for 112 with cart using boxgroove

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @mci711 said:

> If it were up to me, I'd scratch harborside all together. Play Cog that first night, I would think it would actually take less time to get there than Harborside and 4pm tee off would be pretty doable I would imagine. Then round 2 go to Glen Club, which will actually be a shorter Uber from River North and back than Cog. Then end with Ravisloe.

Yeah, Dubs the day of arrival makes sense. 'Definitely like the idea of The Gen Club if one is looking to play the high-end clubs.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > If it were up to me, I'd scratch harborside all together. Play Cog that first night, I would think it would actually take less time to get there than Harborside and 4pm tee off would be pretty doable I would imagine. Then round 2 go to Glen Club, which will actually be a shorter Uber from River North and back than Cog. Then end with Ravisloe.

>

> Yeah, Dubs the day of arrival makes sense. 'Definitely like the idea of The Gen Club if one is looking to play the high-end clubs.

>

What is time airport to Cog? Is it a little more consistent in terms of time/traffic. My only thought was that Cog was the round I probably did not want to lose on the trip, and if flights delayed, etc. Thanks for the tip, I will check into availability at Cog for day 1.

Midway to Cog Hill would be 35 minutes with no traffic. At 2:45 pm CDT, it's currently showing 48 minutes via I-55 with heavier than usual traffic, and 40 minutes using the alternate Archer Avenue route.

Edit: It's now 3:48 pm, and there's a passing thunderstorm. Travel time from Midway to Cog is 66 minutes on I-55, and 45 minutes using Archer Ave.

> @geochitown said:

> You can play glen club for 112 with cart using boxgroove

3 groups? If no Glen Club, what would be decent alternatives our typical budget already getting pushed a bit, if switch Harbor to Cog Day 1, that adds like another $30-40 cant really then bump another one with Glen? Ruffled Feathers?

I do like the idea of not playing 4pm on a day when that is not really necessary. Already kind of doing one older classic to close with Ravisloe.

Not sure. log into boxgroove (you might have to create a profile - it's free), and then go to the Glen Club page, and request a tee time.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> > @geochitown said:

> > You can play glen club for 112 with cart using boxgroove

>

> 3 groups? If no Glen Club, what would be decent alternatives our typical budget already getting pushed a bit, if switch Harbor to Cog Day 1, that adds like another $30-40 cant really then bump another one with Glen? Ruffled Feathers?

>

> I do like the idea of not playing 4pm on a day when that is not really necessary. Already kind of doing one older classic to close with Ravisloe.

Maybe Mistwood?

30 miles from midway though (southwest of MDW)

TM TP5x

Yeah, I'd go with Mistwood, but you can probably save a few $$$ with Ruffled Feathers. However, I'd play Mistwood 10 times before RF.

• Like 1

Ruffled, hard pass on that one. Other than Pete Dye having his name stamped on it (despite not designing it) there's nothing special about it, in fact the design itself is just bad. If you wanted to head north Thunderhawk would be another option that would be just slightly cheaper than what's been listed.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> Ruffled, hard pass on that one. Other than Pete Dye having his name stamped on it (despite not designing it) there's nothing special about it, in fact the design itself is just bad. If you wanted to head north Thunderhawk would be another option that would be just slightly cheaper than what's been listed.

Other than 15 how is the design bad? I have never heard that before, and couldn't disagree more. But agree, the course should be in better shape. Too much play, too many idiots not fixing ball marks.

> @mci711 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > Ruffled, hard pass on that one. Other than Pete Dye having his name stamped on it (despite not designing it) there's nothing special about it, in fact the design itself is just bad. If you wanted to head north Thunderhawk would be another option that would be just slightly cheaper than what's been listed.

>

> Other than 15 how is the design bad? I have never heard that before, and couldn't disagree more. But agree, the course should be in better shape. Too much play, too many idiots not fixing ball marks.

14, 15 and 16 are bad. Holes just squeezed into a tight area. None of the other holes are really stand out or memorable. I guess 17 and 18 are good finishing holes.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @MountainKing said:

> > > Ruffled, hard pass on that one. Other than Pete Dye having his name stamped on it (despite not designing it) there's nothing special about it, in fact the design itself is just bad. If you wanted to head north Thunderhawk would be another option that would be just slightly cheaper than what's been listed.

> >

> > Other than 15 how is the design bad? I have never heard that before, and couldn't disagree more. But agree, the course should be in better shape. Too much play, too many idiots not fixing ball marks.

>

> 14, 15 and 16 are bad. Holes just squeezed into a tight area. None of the other holes are really stand out or memorable. I guess 17 and 18 are good finishing holes.

Nothing wrong with 14. Just a short par 4. I guess having to actually think and not just bomb driver off the tee on 16 makes it bad? The par 3s are all good and different, last time I played I hit 8,6,P,4 on the 3s which is a great mix and 11 is one of the more unique 3s in the area and 17 is probably better.

Sorry OP to get off subject, I didn't even suggest ruffled feathers but to say it is a overall bad layout because of 1 maybe 2 holes is tough. Everyone has their own opinion I guess.

> @"Thunder Dan" said:

> I’d play Mistwood from airport and Ravisloe before Harborside.

thanks for the tip, I looked at Mistwood before, one of the issues is that on arrival day, we need to be locked in with 3 groups (have 11 players) at pretty specific time, which is one of the reasons Harborside was somewhat appealing is that with 2 courses, figure could probably make it work. Mistwood tee time system is like only 10 days out type of deal and I did not want that kind of uncertainty.

Reading some of the recent reviews on Ruffled Feathers, sounds like the conditions are horrible, no sand in traps, etc. Any chance that changes in the next 3 weeks? If not will likely move on. Someone had mentioned Calumet CC, any thoughts on that? Could go it and Ravisloe? For rounds 2-3.

I was able to secure the 3 times at Dubsdread for post-flight round, so that works. Now need to find Saturday course that combined with Sunday would be around $150-160 total. Looks like Ravisloe on Sunday or Calumet would be around $80- discounted sites are tougher with the large group needing 3 times. Saturday were pretty much open all day so could do twilight like we were planning to do at Dubs, but need to finish.

Thanks so much for advice.

> @mci711 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > Ruffled, hard pass on that one. Other than Pete Dye having his name stamped on it (despite not designing it) there's nothing special about it, in fact the design itself is just bad. If you wanted to head north Thunderhawk would be another option that would be just slightly cheaper than what's been listed.

> > >

> > > Other than 15 how is the design bad? I have never heard that before, and couldn't disagree more. But agree, the course should be in better shape. Too much play, too many idiots not fixing ball marks.

> >

> > 14, 15 and 16 are bad. Holes just squeezed into a tight area. None of the other holes are really stand out or memorable. I guess 17 and 18 are good finishing holes.

>

> Nothing wrong with 14. Just a short par 4. I guess having to actually think and not just bomb driver off the tee on 16 makes it bad? The par 3s are all good and different, last time I played I hit 8,6,P,4 on the 3s which is a great mix and 11 is one of the more unique 3s in the area and 17 is probably better.

>

> Sorry OP to get off subject, I didn't even suggest ruffled feathers but to say it is a overall bad layout because of 1 maybe 2 holes is tough. Everyone has their own opinion I guess.

All three of those holes, well all the holes on that side of the street, just have the feel of "oh crap we ran out of room, what should we do?". 14 at least gives you options of playing safe or taking a risk. I guess it's not a bad hole. 15 is dumb, they should take the tree down and make it a long par 4. Using a tree to force a short par 5 into a 3 shot hole is dumb. 16 doesn't make you think if you've played the hole more than once, your only option is to play something 220 out to the right of that tree and wedge it in It's not even a nice looking hole because the reeds cover up every thing. I always score pretty good at RF, it should be a course I really love based on that but it just doesn't do anything for me ton top of conditions being spotty. You can often find good deals there which is a plus.

I'm curious how 11 is unique? It's an island green par 3 that runs around 140 yards, you can find a ton of those across the country.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> Reading some of the recent reviews on Ruffled Feathers, sounds like the conditions are horrible, no sand in traps, etc. Any chance that changes in the next 3 weeks? If not will likely move on. Someone had mentioned Calumet CC, any thoughts on that? Could go it and Ravisloe? For rounds 2-3.

> I was able to secure the 3 times at Dubsdread for post-flight round, so that works. Now need to find Saturday course that combined with Sunday would be around $150-160 total. Looks like Ravisloe on Sunday or Calumet would be around $80- discounted sites are tougher with the large group needing 3 times. Saturday were pretty much open all day so could do twilight like we were planning to do at Dubs, but need to finish.

>

> Thanks so much for advice.

>

I wouldn't waste your time on RF. There are so many excellent courses here that fit your budget and are in good condition. One other thought, I book golf for 14 guys for 15 rounds a year. On some of the better courses, I'll call and ask for the GM to book tee times if they're not available yet on line. When you tell them you're traveling in from XXX and have heard great things about their course/facility, you get a lot of GM's who are willing to forgo the you can't book until X days prior. Give them a credit card to reserve the times and you'll be good to go.

• Like 1