2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Monte Qualifies for the 2019 US Senior Open

Schnee

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @games said:

> > Chris and Monte: Congratulations on a qualifying. And thanks for sharing your thoughts on the rounds and the overall experience. The scores aside, you both have to leave with some pretty cool memories...

> >

> > From an instructional standpoint, do either of you have observations of other players to share with us? Monte, I know you consider Stricker's swing to be one of the most "efficient" you've seen. Any more thoughts based on personal observation? I have to think Langer's move rates up there too...

>

> I have always said Sticker’s swing is the one ams should look at and not Tiger, DJ, Rory, etc.

>

> The people who say his swing is bad because he has no lag don’t no what they’re looking at.

>

Stricker's swing is all about maximizing control over distance and spin rather than maxxing out distance. Nothing like watching a one hop and stop or one hop and trickle shot. Those end up near the hole and stay there. I chuckle every time one of the young guns rifles one right next to the pin only to watch it rip back off the green. Lots of sizzle, but scoring is mehhh.

BTW, Monte, nice grinding out your rounds in the SUSO. Knew you weren't playing to your capability or desires, but you really squeezed everything out of the rounds as a professional should. Not easy and something for us ams to aspire to.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > > @games said:

> > > Chris and Monte: Congratulations on a qualifying. And thanks for sharing your thoughts on the rounds and the overall experience. The scores aside, you both have to leave with some pretty cool memories...

> > >

> > > From an instructional standpoint, do either of you have observations of other players to share with us? Monte, I know you consider Stricker's swing to be one of the most "efficient" you've seen. Any more thoughts based on personal observation? I have to think Langer's move rates up there too...

> >

> > I have always said Sticker’s swing is the one ams should look at and not Tiger, DJ, Rory, etc.

> >

> > The people who say his swing is bad because he has no lag don’t no what they’re looking at.

> >

>

> Stricker's swing is all about maximizing control over distance and spin rather than maxxing out distance. Nothing like watching a one hop and stop or one hop and trickle shot. Those end up near the hole and stay there. I chuckle every time one of the young guns rifles one right next to the pin only to watch it rip back off the green. Lots of sizzle, but scoring is mehhh.

>

> BTW, Monte, nice grinding out your rounds in the SUSO. Knew you weren't playing to your capability or desires, but you really squeezed everything out of the rounds as a professional should. Not easy and something for us ams to aspire to.

Thank you. It was really a tale of two 18’s

When I was able to slow my roll, I was actually competent.

Day one my 6 through 17 and day 2 last 6 holes. I was 1 under for those 18 holes. I was over doing the slow down of the transition. Felt like matsuyama. It wasn’t close. I saw a video and it was still a bit fast, but at least manageable.

The other 18 holes I was making the same mistake I tell ams NOT to do. Slow down the backswing which encouraged me to speed up the transition even more. I was a mess. Plus 15 on those holes.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > > > @games said:

> > > > Chris and Monte: Congratulations on a qualifying. And thanks for sharing your thoughts on the rounds and the overall experience. The scores aside, you both have to leave with some pretty cool memories...

> > > >

> > > > From an instructional standpoint, do either of you have observations of other players to share with us? Monte, I know you consider Stricker's swing to be one of the most "efficient" you've seen. Any more thoughts based on personal observation? I have to think Langer's move rates up there too...

> > >

> > > I have always said Sticker’s swing is the one ams should look at and not Tiger, DJ, Rory, etc.

> > >

> > > The people who say his swing is bad because he has no lag don’t no what they’re looking at.

> > >

> >

> > Stricker's swing is all about maximizing control over distance and spin rather than maxxing out distance. Nothing like watching a one hop and stop or one hop and trickle shot. Those end up near the hole and stay there. I chuckle every time one of the young guns rifles one right next to the pin only to watch it rip back off the green. Lots of sizzle, but scoring is mehhh.

> >

> > BTW, Monte, nice grinding out your rounds in the SUSO. Knew you weren't playing to your capability or desires, but you really squeezed everything out of the rounds as a professional should. Not easy and something for us ams to aspire to.

>

> Thank you. It was really a tale of two 18’s

>

> When I was able to slow my roll, I was actually competent.

>

> Day one my 6 through 17 and day 2 last 6 holes. I was 1 under for those 18 holes. I was over doing the slow down of the transition. Felt like matsuyama. It wasn’t close. I saw a video and it was still a bit fast, but at least manageable.

>

> The other 18 holes I was making the same mistake I tell ams NOT to do. Slow down the backswing which encouraged me to speed up the transition even more. I was a mess. Plus 15 on those holes.

>

I've said this before, but for a reasonably proficient (or better) player, transition is EVERYTHING. Especially under the gun. And that goes for full swing, pitching, chipping, and even putting. If you dont have some semblance of patience in the change of direction its gonna be a long day. Sometimes you just need to feel one good one to latch onto; other times it's a struggle to the end.

I think it's just awesome that you made it there! I'd give my left nugget to play in a Senior Open and look forward to trying again next year. Thanks again Monte for all of your contributions to this great online community! You had a lot of people behind you!!!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> The other 18 holes I was making the same mistake I tell ams NOT to do. Slow down the backswing which encouraged me to speed up the transition even more. I was a mess. Plus 15 on those holes.

>

I would think that instead of thinking of one particular part of the swing (like the backswing example above) - that a more generalized 'slowness' to the whole round might be a bit more effective? e.g Slowing down the warm up, slowing down the walk between shots, slowing down the preshot routine a little bit, etc.. Or am I off base about that?

Good for you

Had an Am buddy play in one of these and it was nervy for him as well.

Tough when your practice rounds are with guys you've seen on TV all your life

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> It’s not a

> Monte or Chris thread without food. Oreo cannoli for me, Lobster tail for the kids in a box. From world famous Mike’s pastry

I used to work there in high school! I can still string a box in under 3 seconds, ha ha. That oreo cannoli is blasphemy, but your kids are doing it right!

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

> @badboggs said:

> Monte, how did your ball flight react under pressure? Did you find yourself making a specific mistake like pulls/hooks or cutting the ball too much?

Just poor shots. I don’t hit pull hooks very often.

Only 1-2 shots were awful. Mostly too many poor shots

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @MonteScheinblum said:

>

>

> > @badboggs said:

> > Monte, how did your ball flight react under pressure? Did you find yourself making a specific mistake like pulls/hooks or cutting the ball too much?

>

> Just poor shots. I don’t hit pull hooks very often.

>

> Only 1-2 shots were awful. Mostly too many poor shots

>

>

Schnee said on the first day you hit driver on 9/14 holes. In retrospect, would you have hit something less to find more fairways?

> @PJ1120 said:

> > @MonteScheinblum said:

> >

> >

> > > @badboggs said:

> > > Monte, how did your ball flight react under pressure? Did you find yourself making a specific mistake like pulls/hooks or cutting the ball too much?

> >

> > Just poor shots. I don’t hit pull hooks very often.

> >

> > Only 1-2 shots were awful. Mostly too many poor shots

> >

> >

>

> Schnee said on the first day you hit driver on 9/14 holes. In retrospect, would you have hit something less to find more fairways?

No, when I’m doing something wrong, I hit 3 wood and 2 iron off line too.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Monte, all in all you have to be thrilled with the experience. Sure you could have played better but it's just one step in more successful steps to come. You qualified as medalist, and got a real taste of where you belong. It's just the beginning of a new phase of your journey,. Cheers to that!

It's fascinating reading about your experience and analysis after the fact; thanks for sharing. Am I reading it right that part of success in a tournament may include having a "go to" swing thought? I read so much about how you play golf not play golf swing, I often wonder where do you draw the line between helpful thought and paralysis. I think you answered that question here... Thanks!

> @chigolfer1 said:

> Monte, sorry if already commented on, but do you have any intentions of giving the Champions Tour a go or is this more of a one off annual thing you will try to qualify for?

Yes, have made finals of Q school before.

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

A couple people have asked me for my thoughts on the week. I'll put my comments about caddying in my thread and link it here so as to keep it separate, but here's my takeaways from the week. Apologies that it's a bit late, had a lot going on when I came home.

Monte hit it very well in the practice rounds, and he was just too amped up going into the tournament rounds. His rhythm was off from the first swing he made on Thursday, making his backswing very short, and transition nonexistent. If you've seen Monte play before, he's one of those players who rarely misses the center of the face, and that held true even when his rhythm got off. He didn't hit any terrible shots, just some poor ones that got him into some tough spots. He did a great job fighting through the middle of round 1, and made some terrific pars including some up/downs from jail.

Any time he hit the fairway, Monte had a shot at par or better. Ideally, I think there were more 3 woods to be had off the tee than were ultimately hit, but you can't take a club you've been terribly uncomfortable with your entire career and all of a sudden rely on it repeatedly in a major championship. Monte's length is absolutely an asset, but he needs a 270-280 yard shot off the tee into many of these setups. Especially on the back nine stretch 10-12 where Monte lost 8 shots over the two days, a reliable 3 wood shot would've come in handy. Also on #9 Day 1 3 wood could've been the play.

The more patient that Monte is in the transition, the better swing he makes, and the faster he swings it. He also hits it considerably straighter.

That said, I don't think 3 wood was the play that week because the comfort level wasn't there. I wasn't going to try and force Monte to hit a shot he wasn't ready to commit to.

Monte and I have talked about this at length, and while his Champions Tour debut at the US Senior Open may have been less than we hoped for and even a bit disappointing, it's a huge positive moving forward. Without hitting some bad shots, being uncomfortable, and having some setup issues under pressure, Monte wouldn't have known what's holding him back from the next level. I think that the Open motivated Monte to keep grinding, and keep getting better. Open week was an absolute blast despite the outcome, and I was glad that I could be along for the ride.

• Like 3

This is all some great insight and a lot of fun to follow. Keep it up Monte!

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @Schnee said:

> Monte hit it very well in the practice rounds, and he was just too amped up going into the tournament rounds. His rhythm was off from the first swing he made on Thursday, making his backswing very short, and transition nonexistent. If you've seen Monte play before, he's one of those players who rarely misses the center of the face, and that held true even when his rhythm got off. He didn't hit any terrible shots, just some poor ones that got him into some tough spots. He did a great job fighting through the middle of round 1, and made some terrific pars including some up/downs from jail.

> Any time he hit the fairway, Monte had a shot at par or better. Ideally, I think there were more 3 woods to be had off the tee than were ultimately hit, but you can't take a club you've been terribly uncomfortable with your entire career and all of a sudden rely on it repeatedly in a major championship. Monte's length is absolutely an asset, but he needs a 270-280 yard shot off the tee into many of these setups. Especially on the back nine stretch 10-12 where Monte lost 8 shots over the two days, a reliable 3 wood shot would've come in handy. Also on #9 Day 1 3 wood could've been the play.

> The more patient that Monte is in the transition, the better swing he makes, and the faster he swings it. He also hits it considerably straighter.

>

> That said, I don't think 3 wood was the play that week because the comfort level wasn't there. I wasn't going to try and force Monte to hit a shot he wasn't ready to commit to.

> Monte and I have talked about this at length, and while his Champions Tour debut at the US Senior Open may have been less than we hoped for and even a bit disappointing, it's a huge positive moving forward. Without hitting some bad shots, being uncomfortable, and having some setup issues under pressure, Monte wouldn't have known what's holding him back from the next level. I think that the Open motivated Monte to keep grinding, and keep getting better. Open week was an absolute blast despite the outcome, and I was glad that I could be along for the ride.

Great commentary Chris. If I had magic powers I’d give him a way to play a lot of pressure reps. Seems to me that’s what’s needed most.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W