Spinny TS3

Ivyguy

Howdy yall!

So, I stepped up and replaced my 8.5 Ping Anser with a 8.5 TS3 (Hazrdus Smoke 6.0). In the launch monitor, everything looked fine. I did my rounds, hit in multiple days and so forth.

I get on the course and I cant keep from ballooning the snot out of my drives... I would take it for what it's worth, but it's a 500 dollar driver that cant beat my old gamer on the course.

It's set in the A1 setting as I dont want to go further down in loft...

Two questions:

Anything I can try setting wise with the TS3?

Is this something that happens to other people?

The feel was OK, but the numbers were undeniable in the store. Maybe it's best to purchase based on feel than numbers sometimes????

I approached the store I bought it from, and they'll give me the trade in (250) for it... I've hit about 70 drives or so... it sucks, but I get it.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can definitely check certain specs and the strike location. However, I think this is one of the problems with just hitting balls into a screen on a monitor. I feel like one can get obsessed with the numbers. Also, one you can start to make compensations in your swing to get a good result. It's easier to do when the target doesn't change for 20+ swings in a row. Try to make 14 swings on the course mixed in between various other shots and our natural tendencies come forth.

What ball where you testing with? It will make a big difference. I’ve seen guys hit great numbers with range balls only to find out when they play their gamer they can’t keep the ball in the air, I’ve also seen the opposite . Indoor it should be easy for them to test you with your gamer. In the old days it could be the head tolerances but with newer drivers they are very consistent. Sometimes the parameters of the swing analyzers are not imputes right or they have some boosting going on. A lot of variables but frankly what happened to you is not uncommon. It sucks that store didn’t make it right.

Good thing is you can try different shafts and weight adjustments, maybe the store will let you swap out shafts for free. Personally, I spun the ts2-3 way too much, even with a yellow hzrdus 6.5...

I have the same problem hitting indoors... get great numbers then get it outside and it's nothing that I want to hold on to...LOL Sorry man.... I am lucky as my store has a 90 day return policy so it doesn't matter how much I play it. Pretty crappy of them to not be very flexible about it.... I'd think they'd want to keep you as a customer after you drop 5 large on a driver. Best of luck man...

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

If you're ballooning the snot out of something like the TS3 then it has to be a strike location problem. Either that or the shaft causing serious delivery issues. Find out exactly where you're hitting it on the face and report back.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I had the same experience with that Smoke shaft when I first tried out TS3 fitting heads back last August. I was hitting several stock shafts high including Smoke until I tried the PX Even Flow White 6.0, then I knew that shaft fits what I'm looking for. I tried them out outdoors, I do like using LM but I want to see the launch window and the ballflights on my own. I'm using TS3 9.5 with Even Flow White 6.0, ordered 1/2" shorter to 45". I usually have the setting mostly at A1 but had it at B1 for most of the past winter.

I like the Smoke better in their fairway woods. I had Diamana D+ Whiteboard shaft in my previous 917D3 which is similar to A'hina.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Snuck out to a course with 24 of my gamer balls, pro v1. 12 with each, cleaned the face after each shot, and the strikes were as consistent as I can hope for in "real life" conditions. I tend to miss a bit low, but I was swinging well last night. Half of my strikes were above the equator and toward the toe a stitch (been working hard on that). I was still a consistent 10 to 15 paces longer. I did grab a couple from the TS3 that smoked my Anser, but based on the game of golf, I would stick with the Anser.

I think I put to much emphasis on launch data. Maybe it's a "thing" across the industry, but my long duration drivers were ones that I just picked up on a whim and went with it.... I dunno, I'm gonna talk to a store manager about it today. At this point, even if they are going to give me the trade in (250 or so) I'll take the store credit and look at my wedges.

My swing speed is right at 105, can get to 110 when my shoulder is feeling good, but on the course, it's at 105...

> @Ivyguy said:

> Snuck out to a course with 24 of my gamer balls, pro v1. 12 with each, cleaned the face after each shot, and the strikes were as consistent as I can hope for in "real life" conditions. I tend to miss a bit low, but I was swinging well last night. Half of my strikes were above the equator and toward the toe a stitch (been working hard on that). I was still a consistent 10 to 15 paces longer. I did grab a couple from the TS3 that smoked my Anser, but based on the game of golf, I would stick with the Anser.

>

> I think I put to much emphasis on launch data. Maybe it's a "thing" across the industry, but my long duration drivers were ones that I just picked up on a whim and went with it.... I dunno, I'm gonna talk to a store manager about it today. At this point, even if they are going to give me the trade in (250 or so) I'll take the store credit and look at my wedges.

>

> My swing speed is right at 105, can get to 110 when my shoulder is feeling good, but on the course, it's at 105...

The Anser is certainly a fine driver, I gamed one for awhile with an Ahina and it is not short. A low miss will definitely increase spin so that should be considered as well. But it sounds to me like you have a comfort level with the Anser which is great, and swapping over to a very different head with a very different profile shaft that is slightly longer and lighter is just something that would need adjustment time to groove it the same way you have with the Anser. Nothing wrong with that! You could also pick up one of the stock Anser Ahina shafts which are legit aftermarket Diamana's just with a simpler paint job and slap it in the Titleist at the same length as the Ping and see what happens.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

> @Valtiel said:

> > @Ivyguy said:

> > Snuck out to a course with 24 of my gamer balls, pro v1. 12 with each, cleaned the face after each shot, and the strikes were as consistent as I can hope for in "real life" conditions. I tend to miss a bit low, but I was swinging well last night. Half of my strikes were above the equator and toward the toe a stitch (been working hard on that). I was still a consistent 10 to 15 paces longer. I did grab a couple from the TS3 that smoked my Anser, but based on the game of golf, I would stick with the Anser.

> >

> > I think I put to much emphasis on launch data. Maybe it's a "thing" across the industry, but my long duration drivers were ones that I just picked up on a whim and went with it.... I dunno, I'm gonna talk to a store manager about it today. At this point, even if they are going to give me the trade in (250 or so) I'll take the store credit and look at my wedges.

> >

> > My swing speed is right at 105, can get to 110 when my shoulder is feeling good, but on the course, it's at 105...

>

> The Anser is certainly a fine driver, I gamed one for awhile with an Ahina and it is not short. A low miss will definitely increase spin so that should be considered as well. But it sounds to me like you have a comfort level with the Anser which is great, and swapping over to a very different head with a very different profile shaft that is slightly longer and lighter is just something that would need adjustment time to groove it the same way you have with the Anser. Nothing wrong with that! You could also pick up one of the stock Anser Ahina shafts which are legit aftermarket Diamana's just with a simpler paint job and slap it in the Titleist at the same length as the Ping and see what happens.

Sounds like a feel thing to me as well. Titleist diamana d+ Ltd are pretty easy to come by as well.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

> @Ivyguy said:

> > @leejohnkieh said:

> > What shaft do you have in the ping?

>

> A'hina 70g... I'm a bit lost right now lol

I want to say the shaft isn't matching well for this head. Previously when I was playing M3/M2 I had the KK DC TX shaft and would hit the snot out of it but when I switched over and tried it with the TS3 it did not work. Go into your local store and make it look like you're trying to get fitted and hit a bunch of shafts.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15