Howdy yall!

So, I stepped up and replaced my 8.5 Ping Anser with a 8.5 TS3 (Hazrdus Smoke 6.0). In the launch monitor, everything looked fine. I did my rounds, hit in multiple days and so forth.

I get on the course and I cant keep from ballooning the snot out of my drives... I would take it for what it's worth, but it's a 500 dollar driver that cant beat my old gamer on the course.

It's set in the A1 setting as I dont want to go further down in loft...

Two questions:

Anything I can try setting wise with the TS3?

Is this something that happens to other people?

The feel was OK, but the numbers were undeniable in the store. Maybe it's best to purchase based on feel than numbers sometimes????

I approached the store I bought it from, and they'll give me the trade in (250) for it... I've hit about 70 drives or so... it sucks, but I get it.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can definitely check certain specs and the strike location. However, I think this is one of the problems with just hitting balls into a screen on a monitor. I feel like one can get obsessed with the numbers. Also, one you can start to make compensations in your swing to get a good result. It's easier to do when the target doesn't change for 20+ swings in a row. Try to make 14 swings on the course mixed in between various other shots and our natural tendencies come forth.

See if a course near you offers the free Titleist Thursday fittings. They would (should) be able to get it right, outdoors. Good luck!

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
TaylorMade SIM Max 5 wood 18*

Titleist TS2 21* hybrid
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Callaway X-14 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M

Vokey 60M
TaylorMade Ardmore 1

What ball where you testing with? It will make a big difference. I’ve seen guys hit great numbers with range balls only to find out when they play their gamer they can’t keep the ball in the air, I’ve also seen the opposite . Indoor it should be easy for them to test you with your gamer. In the old days it could be the head tolerances but with newer drivers they are very consistent. Sometimes the parameters of the swing analyzers are not imputes right or they have some boosting going on. A lot of variables but frankly what happened to you is not uncommon. It sucks that store didn’t make it right.

Good thing is you can try different shafts and weight adjustments, maybe the store will let you swap out shafts for free. Personally, I spun the ts2-3 way too much, even with a yellow hzrdus 6.5...

I have the same problem hitting indoors... get great numbers then get it outside and it's nothing that I want to hold on to...LOL Sorry man.... I am lucky as my store has a 90 day return policy so it doesn't matter how much I play it. Pretty crappy of them to not be very flexible about it.... I'd think they'd want to keep you as a customer after you drop 5 large on a driver. Best of luck man...

Ping G410 LST 10.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Ping G425 Max 14.5* Alta CB 65x

Ping G410 22* Tensei Blue 80s

Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.5

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52, 56, 60 AWT 

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne stealth

If you're ballooning the snot out of something like the TS3 then it has to be a strike location problem. Either that or the shaft causing serious delivery issues. Find out exactly where you're hitting it on the face and report back.

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

I had the same experience with that Smoke shaft when I first tried out TS3 fitting heads back last August. I was hitting several stock shafts high including Smoke until I tried the PX Even Flow White 6.0, then I knew that shaft fits what I'm looking for. I tried them out outdoors, I do like using LM but I want to see the launch window and the ballflights on my own. I'm using TS3 9.5 with Even Flow White 6.0, ordered 1/2" shorter to 45". I usually have the setting mostly at A1 but had it at B1 for most of the past winter.

I like the Smoke better in their fairway woods. I had Diamana D+ Whiteboard shaft in my previous 917D3 which is similar to A'hina.

Bag of Hackin' Utensils 

TM SIM 10.5 GD XC-6 stiff(cracked SIM2 coming in mid-May)

TM SIM 15 & 19 Diamana 75 stiff

Adams A12 22* & 26* w/GD UT 95 x-stiff

TM P760 5-PW DG 120 S300

(P7MC 6-PW coming sometime this year, 5i on hand)

MG2 50, 54& 60

2Ball 45" putter

Snuck out to a course with 24 of my gamer balls, pro v1. 12 with each, cleaned the face after each shot, and the strikes were as consistent as I can hope for in "real life" conditions. I tend to miss a bit low, but I was swinging well last night. Half of my strikes were above the equator and toward the toe a stitch (been working hard on that). I was still a consistent 10 to 15 paces longer. I did grab a couple from the TS3 that smoked my Anser, but based on the game of golf, I would stick with the Anser.

I think I put to much emphasis on launch data. Maybe it's a "thing" across the industry, but my long duration drivers were ones that I just picked up on a whim and went with it.... I dunno, I'm gonna talk to a store manager about it today. At this point, even if they are going to give me the trade in (250 or so) I'll take the store credit and look at my wedges.

My swing speed is right at 105, can get to 110 when my shoulder is feeling good, but on the course, it's at 105...

> @Ivyguy said:

> Snuck out to a course with 24 of my gamer balls, pro v1. 12 with each, cleaned the face after each shot, and the strikes were as consistent as I can hope for in "real life" conditions. I tend to miss a bit low, but I was swinging well last night. Half of my strikes were above the equator and toward the toe a stitch (been working hard on that). I was still a consistent 10 to 15 paces longer. I did grab a couple from the TS3 that smoked my Anser, but based on the game of golf, I would stick with the Anser.

>

> I think I put to much emphasis on launch data. Maybe it's a "thing" across the industry, but my long duration drivers were ones that I just picked up on a whim and went with it.... I dunno, I'm gonna talk to a store manager about it today. At this point, even if they are going to give me the trade in (250 or so) I'll take the store credit and look at my wedges.

>

> My swing speed is right at 105, can get to 110 when my shoulder is feeling good, but on the course, it's at 105...

The Anser is certainly a fine driver, I gamed one for awhile with an Ahina and it is not short. A low miss will definitely increase spin so that should be considered as well. But it sounds to me like you have a comfort level with the Anser which is great, and swapping over to a very different head with a very different profile shaft that is slightly longer and lighter is just something that would need adjustment time to groove it the same way you have with the Anser. Nothing wrong with that! You could also pick up one of the stock Anser Ahina shafts which are legit aftermarket Diamana's just with a simpler paint job and slap it in the Titleist at the same length as the Ping and see what happens.

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

> @Valtiel said:

> > @Ivyguy said:

> > Snuck out to a course with 24 of my gamer balls, pro v1. 12 with each, cleaned the face after each shot, and the strikes were as consistent as I can hope for in "real life" conditions. I tend to miss a bit low, but I was swinging well last night. Half of my strikes were above the equator and toward the toe a stitch (been working hard on that). I was still a consistent 10 to 15 paces longer. I did grab a couple from the TS3 that smoked my Anser, but based on the game of golf, I would stick with the Anser.

> >

> > I think I put to much emphasis on launch data. Maybe it's a "thing" across the industry, but my long duration drivers were ones that I just picked up on a whim and went with it.... I dunno, I'm gonna talk to a store manager about it today. At this point, even if they are going to give me the trade in (250 or so) I'll take the store credit and look at my wedges.

> >

> > My swing speed is right at 105, can get to 110 when my shoulder is feeling good, but on the course, it's at 105...

>

> The Anser is certainly a fine driver, I gamed one for awhile with an Ahina and it is not short. A low miss will definitely increase spin so that should be considered as well. But it sounds to me like you have a comfort level with the Anser which is great, and swapping over to a very different head with a very different profile shaft that is slightly longer and lighter is just something that would need adjustment time to groove it the same way you have with the Anser. Nothing wrong with that! You could also pick up one of the stock Anser Ahina shafts which are legit aftermarket Diamana's just with a simpler paint job and slap it in the Titleist at the same length as the Ping and see what happens.

Sounds like a feel thing to me as well. Titleist diamana d+ Ltd are pretty easy to come by as well.

Titleist 917D3 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65s 9.5

Cobra F9 Tour Fujikara Atmos Blue TS 7s 13.5

Cobra F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85s 17.5

Titleist 816H2 Fujikara Motore Speeder TS HB 8.8s 21

Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 4-pw PX LZ 6.0

Cleaveland Rtx4 50,56 Dynamic Gold TI S400

Maltby Ptm-4

Srixon Zstar

> @Ivyguy said:

> > @leejohnkieh said:

> > What shaft do you have in the ping?

>

> A'hina 70g... I'm a bit lost right now lol

I want to say the shaft isn't matching well for this head. Previously when I was playing M3/M2 I had the KK DC TX shaft and would hit the snot out of it but when I switched over and tried it with the TS3 it did not work. Go into your local store and make it look like you're trying to get fitted and hit a bunch of shafts.

My WITB:

Team NIKE

TM Sim - PX Green Hulk PVD 6.5

TM Sim Rocket - AD-BB 8x

TM UDI - Tensei Pro White 100TX

TM P770/P7MC - Nippon Modus3 120TX

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

TM HiToe 60 - DG S400

Toulon Design Las Vegas