2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

So I got to play with my buddy and his friends that are pretty good players. I'm a 5 handicap and they all took my money today. I asked them about Old American and all of them do not care for it. Bunkers in stupid spots and kinda a weird layout. They suggested I play somewhere else. Are they crazy or should I cancel my tee time tomorrow and go hunting for somewhere else to go?

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

I did up playing it, it a very neat layout and wish I would of played a par 5 different. The fairways were awesome, the greens are amazing and fun that I had the read the grain as part of the break again (really miss Dallas golf).

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

> @KeithM38 said:

> So I got to play with my buddy and his friends that are pretty good players. I'm a 5 handicap and they all took my money today. I asked them about Old American and all of them do not care for it. Bunkers in stupid spots and kinda a weird layout. They suggested I play somewhere else. Are they crazy or should I cancel my tee time tomorrow and go hunting for somewhere else to go?

They must have just got beat up by the course. Like callawayjay said it's a very different course than anything else out in this area. It is BY FAR my favorite public/semi-public course in the DFW area. I'd be a member out there if I lived closer than 1.5 hours away; love the course.

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

> @dbdors said:

> > @cjblake09 said:

> > Leonard golf range is nice on the west side of Ft. Worth.

> I did get to go over there and hit some balls on Tuesday morning. I didn't take my clubs, but they will let you use any of the demo clubs they have. They had a very nice selections. The range balls all looked new. That is on impressive facility. I wish we had something like it in Houston.

> Also, there were some people at Artisan getting what looked like a wedge fitting. I love the "Hazardous" signs around the Artisan test area!!

Leonards is a cool spot. Owned by the Leonard family, famous for the creation of Colonial Country Club and Shady Oaks. Tons of golf history in Fort Worth. And yes, Artisan is "closed" to the public though I've never known them to turn away a new friend. That place is as friendly as it gets. I wouldn't be afraid to walk up and introduce yourself to John Hatfield or Mike Taylor over there.

> @jwnewbern said:

>

>

> > @dbdors said:

> > > @cjblake09 said:

> > > Leonard golf range is nice on the west side of Ft. Worth.

> > I did get to go over there and hit some balls on Tuesday morning. I didn't take my clubs, but they will let you use any of the demo clubs they have. They had a very nice selections. The range balls all looked new. That is on impressive facility. I wish we had something like it in Houston.

> > Also, there were some people at Artisan getting what looked like a wedge fitting. I love the "Hazardous" signs around the Artisan test area!!

>

> Leonards is a cool spot. Owned by the Leonard family, famous for the creation of Colonial Country Club and Shady Oaks. Tons of golf history in Fort Worth. And yes, Artisan is "closed" to the public though I've never known them to turn away a new friend. That place is as friendly as it gets. I wouldn't be afraid to walk up and introduce yourself to John Hatfield or Mike Taylor over there.

I'm actually headed back up there on Saturday to visit my folks again. I will also get in a lesson with Mike Martin. Looking forward to it.

I assume Leonards is related to the old Leonard Brothers department store family? Many memories as a kid shopping there with my folks in the 60's, some of my most memorable gifts, first hot-wheels track, firt baseball uniform!!!

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

> @dbdors said:

> > @jwnewbern said:

> >

> >

> > > @dbdors said:

> > > > @cjblake09 said:

> > > > Leonard golf range is nice on the west side of Ft. Worth.

> > > I did get to go over there and hit some balls on Tuesday morning. I didn't take my clubs, but they will let you use any of the demo clubs they have. They had a very nice selections. The range balls all looked new. That is on impressive facility. I wish we had something like it in Houston.

> > > Also, there were some people at Artisan getting what looked like a wedge fitting. I love the "Hazardous" signs around the Artisan test area!!

> >

> > Leonards is a cool spot. Owned by the Leonard family, famous for the creation of Colonial Country Club and Shady Oaks. Tons of golf history in Fort Worth. And yes, Artisan is "closed" to the public though I've never known them to turn away a new friend. That place is as friendly as it gets. I wouldn't be afraid to walk up and introduce yourself to John Hatfield or Mike Taylor over there.

> I'm actually headed back up there on Saturday to visit my folks again. I will also get in a lesson with Mike Martin. Looking forward to it.

> I assume Leonards is related to the old Leonard Brothers department store family? Many memories as a kid shopping there with my folks in the 60's, some of my most memorable gifts, first hot-wheels track, firt baseball uniform!!!

Yep. Same Leonard family. Marvin Leonard stubbornly insisted that bent grass greens could work in North Texas climate. He built Colonial to prove it. That worked out pretty well. He was also instrumental in the development and success of a local golfer named Ben Hogan. His daughter, Marty Leonard, carries that legacy on now with her devotion to Fort Worth golf and her father's clubs.

> @callawayjay said:

> Bent can grow in Texas if you have the $$$. Very few public tracks still do, firewheel bridges, and I think Waterview in rowlett.

I have to brag on our Superintendent at Hurricane Creek up in Anna and our bent greens. We're a private course with monthly dues right at $300. So you can imagine that our maintenance budget is not near what a lot of private courses have. And like any other course with bent greens, we've had a few years where the summer heat has got to to them. But our greens, which are close to 20 years old, are as good as I've ever seen them at this time of year and I've been a member here for 15 years. Don't know how he does it. Not only that, but the entire course may be in the best shape I've ever seen it.

> @HackZogan said:

> > @dbdors said:

> > > @HitEmTrue said:

> > > > @dbdors said:

> > > > > @cjblake09 said:

> > > > > Leonard golf range is nice on the west side of Ft. Worth.

> > > >

> > > > I forgot about that place, I had it on my list of places to check out. Will definitely go there and check it out.

> > > > That's the same location for Artisan Golf, right?

> > >

> > > Next door...previously was Nike’s The Oven. Leonard is a great place to practice. Huge grass hitting area, good putting and chipping greens.

> > >

> > > The course in Burleson was closed for a while for a course renovation. I only played there once, before they did all that.

> > >

> > Okay, thanks, I hope Artisan is closed when I'm around there. I cant spend any more on golf!!!! Im sure if I go in there, money is going to flow.

>

> I could be wrong, but i don't think you can just go into Artisan's golf shop. It's not like a retail location, but more of an artists studio in which you need to make an appointment for a fitting. Good news is that your money is safe, but the bad news is you don't get to see the craftsmanship up close and personal. Also, another spot to check out for golf in Fort Worth is Rockwood Golf Course just North of downtown. They did a pretty big renovation there about a year or so ago and when I played a few weeks ago I was pleasantly surprised by how much it has been improved. The greens are still pretty firm but overall it is pretty nice and of course the price is right since it's a Municipal course.

I agree, Rockwood has improved a lot and is fun to play.

I played Mansfield National yesterday and it was also in good shape. Greens were a little shaggy, but I chalk that up to them not being able to mow Saturday due to the rain. Everything else was in great shape and my buddy and I would definitely go back to play out there. We flew through the front nine in about an hour and 45 mins and then slowed down on the back. Overall it was about 4 hours and 15 mins for a Sunday morning which isn't too bad. Price was right to at about $50. I will mention the range was closed. I don't know if that was just for the day or for some other longer term reason.

> @callawayjay said:

> My opinion is they don’t like it because it’s different. It’s a really cool and unique layout that isn’t indigenous to the area. It’s not easy. It’s hard. Some greens are tiny. Some are big. I would still go. Just because it beat up a friend of yours doesn’t mean it’s not a good course

It's also not my favorite course, but it is not a bad course and is certainly worth a play. It's a Justin Leonard design, so picture a course he would like, lol. It's all about accuracy off the tee, many par 4's where you cannot hit driver (probably about half the holes if I recall have a bunker smack in the middle of the fairway at driver distance and pinches in on the sides with other bunkers, water, native grass etc, some greens are t-i-n-y). This was playing at the 6800 tees. Moving back would have allowed more drivers. Conditions will be great, pace of play will probably be good. Just be ready to hit a considerable number of irons and fairway woods off tees and be ready for something that feels like target golf.

> @slprince67 said:

> Played Pecan Hollow today.....outstanding condition. Greens great as usual.

Pecan Hollow must be the ultimate sleeper in DFW... conditions are always very good and greens are so pure. Also a great deal

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Callaway UW 19* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X

Ping iCrossover 18* / Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85X

Ping i230 4-U / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping PLD Custom Prime Tyne S / BGT Stability Tour Black

Titleist ProV1

Ping Hoofer

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @cjblake09 said:

> > It is so sad what has happened to Buffalo Creek.

>

> Yep, you always hate to see good golf courses be neglected from maintenance standpoint. Another one is Garden Valley just out east of Dallas.

Had a buddy play out there last week and he specifically mentioned the bunkers being unplayable with no sand in them and grass growing in them. Also said the rakes even had been taken over by grass.

> @"North Texas" said:

> Speaking of neglected golf courses, has anyone heard anything lately about White Bluff down in Whitney? Both courses were shut down in late 2017 and Arcis Golf is supposed to be redoing them and I thought they were supposed to be done late this summer.

Here is the latest - https://thegolfwire.com/white-bluff-resort-course/

> @moneymoney said:

> OP mentions Buffalo Creek in Rockwall, unfortunately, they have let their bunkers turn to dirt. Keep talking about redoing them but...

> As far as Rockwall goes, the Rockwall Golf & Athletic Club is now the best course in the Lake Ray Hubbard area. They keep making major improvements.

I felt that way about Buffalo Creek when I moved here two years ago. Even then, the bunkers seemed like a dirty, almost-unplayable sand.

I’ve been a member at RGAC for a little over a year and a half. At the beginning of this season, we hired a new superintendent and the guy has been nothing short of amazing. He is transforming everything about the club, from greens (most important, obviously) to fairways, tee boxes, greenside bunkers, replacing all collars around the greens, and more thoughtful approaches to mow patterns/divisions between fairway and rough. It hasn’t been without some pain (today is 4th aerification of the season) but he told us in advance this would be the case and everybody is so pleased with the tremendous progress that nobody minds.

> @Chris_NH said:

> > @moneymoney said:

> > OP mentions Buffalo Creek in Rockwall, unfortunately, they have let their bunkers turn to dirt. Keep talking about redoing them but...

> > As far as Rockwall goes, the Rockwall Golf & Athletic Club is now the best course in the Lake Ray Hubbard area. They keep making major improvements.

>

> I felt that way about Buffalo Creek when I moved here two years ago. Even then, the bunkers seemed like a dirty, almost-unplayable sand.

>

> I’ve been a member at RGAC for a little over a year and a half. At the beginning of this season, we hired a new superintendent and the guy has been nothing short of amazing. He is transforming everything about the club, from greens (most important, obviously) to fairways, tee boxes, greenside bunkers, replacing all collars around the greens, and more thoughtful approaches to mow patterns/divisions between fairway and rough. It hasn’t been without some pain (today is 4th aerification of the season) but he told us in advance this would be the case and everybody is so pleased with the tremendous progress that nobody minds.

>

That is great to hear. I see they are doing some much needed drainage work too. Let him "tear up" the place while the bermuda grass is growing and can recover and you will enjoy it many times over in the late fall, all winter, and so on. With all the aerification and topdressing it should be a much faster, firmer, smoother surface, that grows better too.

• 2 weeks later...

I went down to Glen Rose and played Squaw Valley (lakes) yesterday. The course overall was in good shape, but I will say the bunkers were in terrible shape. Any bunker not near the green was GUR and around the greens were very iffy at best. The fairways and greens were in really good shape though. I also noticed they no longer put the coolers out with free bottled water and there are no water coolers on the course. That's not good when it's still 95*+ outside. They did have a cart girl working each course and I did see her every 4-5 holes or so to reload on waters.