Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

> @HackZogan said:

> I went down to Glen Rose and played Squaw Valley (lakes) yesterday. The course overall was in good shape, but I will say the bunkers were in terrible shape. Any bunker not near the green was GUR and around the greens were very iffy at best. The fairways and greens were in really good shape though. I also noticed they no longer put the coolers out with free bottled water and there are no water coolers on the course. That's not good when it's still 95*+ outside. They did have a cart girl working each course and I did see her every 4-5 holes or so to reload on waters.

That's disappointing to hear about the bunkers. We were thinking about going out there sometime in October. May have to reconsider.

> @puttnforthe8 said:

> General traveller question: Do the courses overseed in Sep/Oct? I am thinking of late Oct to visit a friend and get a few rounds in.

No, most courses do not overseed. Late October we still have some green left in the grass. Good time of year to play.

> @dfwgolf123 said:

> > @puttnforthe8 said:

> > General traveller question: Do the courses overseed in Sep/Oct? I am thinking of late Oct to visit a friend and get a few rounds in.

>

> No, most courses do not overseed. Late October we still have some green left in the grass. Good time of year to play.

Cheers!

So my list based on folks input is: Pecan Hollow, Waterchase, Texas Star and Cowboys. Any swaps recommended?

> @Jungleland said:

> If you are living in Lantana you would likely join Lantana - a Jay Moorish design that runs through the neighborhood. It’s a good course, reasonable price for a private club. A nice public track in Flower Mound is Bridlewood - about 10 minutes away.

Yup played it three weeks ago when i was visiting last. That is the one that is nice and close and a quick golf cart ride to go play and practice. Was wondering about any other better courses that i accept might require more coin. Thanks

> @puttnforthe8 said:

> Any thoughts on Gentle Creek in Prosper? Is it worth swapping one of these out for it: Pecan Hollow, Waterchase, Texas Star and Cowboys. ??

I have not played Waterchase or Texas but I have played Gentle Creek, Pecan Hollow, and Cowboys. And I would definitely play Gentle Creek if you get a chance. It is my favorite course to play in the area. It's always in good shape and it's just a fun course to play with just enough challenge without beating you up. Huge greens with some pretty good undulation in them and they can get them pretty quick if they want. And fairways are on the generous side.

> @puttnforthe8 said:

> Any thoughts on Gentle Creek in Prosper? Is it worth swapping one of these out for it: Pecan Hollow, Waterchase, Texas Star and Cowboys. ??

Texas Star and Cowboys are two of the best courses in the area, Pecan Hollow always has amazing greens. Have not played Gentle Creek. Only a few private clubs overseed, but the weather is still nice and the grass is not dormant in October around here - it's probably the best month to play golf in DFW.

> @robdalky said:

> > @puttnforthe8 said:

> > Any thoughts on Gentle Creek in Prosper? Is it worth swapping one of these out for it: Pecan Hollow, Waterchase, Texas Star and Cowboys. ??

>

> Texas Star and Cowboys are two of the best courses in the area, Pecan Hollow always has amazing greens. Have not played Gentle Creek. Only a few private clubs overseed, but the weather is still nice and the grass is not dormant in October around here - it's probably the best month to play golf in DFW.

Thanks rob and NT. Looking forward to it.

Oh...FYI; there is a 2 person scramble at Cowboys Oct 20th - My plan was to play that event because it is a good deal on top of getting to play the course. I am in need of a partner...so if someone has interest. No details on whether it is HC or not. I play to single digit, so won't embarrass you, unless I have a horrid day. :)

5yy1s05mor3o.jpg

> @cjblake09 said:

> What course is in the best condition in north Dallas right now? Have a buddy coming up and we are going to play tomorrow afternoon. Thinking Trails, Lakes, Plantation, Twin Creeks, Ridgeview Ranch

Probably a little late with this but I have not played any of these courses this year but know people who have. Based on what I've heard them say, the Trails and Lakes sound like they are good shape. Ridgeview Ranch is okay and Twin Creeks is questionable. I have not ever heard anyone say they have played Plantation. I have played the Lakes twice in recent years (just not this year) and it was in good shape both times and is one of my favorite public courses to play along with Heritage Ranch and Bridlewood.

> @"Ray Jackson" said:

> > @Jungleland said:

> > If you are living in Lantana you would likely join Lantana - a Jay Moorish design that runs through the neighborhood. It’s a good course, reasonable price for a private club. A nice public track in Flower Mound is Bridlewood - about 10 minutes away.

>

> Yup played it three weeks ago when i was visiting last. That is the one that is nice and close and a quick golf cart ride to go play and practice. Was wondering about any other better courses that i accept might require more coin. Thanks

Okay well it looks like i'll be out there in DFW next June onward permanently!!

I also played Grand Oaks in Grand Prairie on Saturday. The course was ok. They currently have no driving range to warm up. I have no real complaints about the course other than I just didn't care for it too much. There are other courses I would rather play for $50. I will say the pace of play was good as it was a 4 hour round on a Saturday morning so that was nice.

I played the Lakes course at Squaw Valley today. Conditions are good with the exception of the sand traps, which were missing a main component of a sand trap...sand. They are made up of very firm dirt with quite a few rocks, completely unplayable. We just gave ourselves free drops out of bunkers all day. That being said, the greens more than made up for the traps. They roll really nicely and have some character to them. Overall fun course to play.

Recent Dallas trip report:

Stevens Park - Really enjoyed this muni. Greens were recently redone, apparently. Course overall was in good shape, especially given the lack of rain. Fun holes with some quirk, the back-9 gives some incredible views of the Dallas skyline. Some tree management needed. Would definitely play again.

Dallas National - Incredible facility and practice areas. Great vibe. Course is a beast, particularly the final six holes or so. Bent grass greens, were a little chewed up in the afternoon but rolled well. Demanding off the tee with some great elevation changes. Would never pass up a chance to play here. Food also extremely good.

Trinity Forest - Stiff breeze, extremely firm turf. Greens were rocks and FAST. This course kind of kicked my ass tbh, would like to play it again. You need to be confident of the lines you take and its a little tough to judge the first time. Some putts just completely fool you. Can't believe pros went so low here but course was apparently way softer when they played. Polled a lot of locals, people either seem to love or hate this course. I was more in the love camp but you will get some bad bounces here and need to accept that. Clubhouse is a beautiful, modern design.

> @birdiebarrage said:

> Recent Dallas trip report:

>

> Stevens Park - Really enjoyed this muni. Greens were recently redone, apparently. Course overall was in good shape, especially given the lack of rain. Fun holes with some quirk, the back-9 gives some incredible views of the Dallas skyline. Some tree management needed. Would definitely play again.

>

> Dallas National - Incredible facility and practice areas. Great vibe. Course is a beast, particularly the final six holes or so. Bent grass greens, were a little chewed up in the afternoon but rolled well. Demanding off the tee with some great elevation changes. Would never pass up a chance to play here. Food also extremely good.

>

> Trinity Forest - Stiff breeze, extremely firm turf. Greens were rocks and FAST. This course kind of kicked my **** tbh, would like to play it again. You need to be confident of the lines you take and its a little tough to judge the first time. Some putts just completely fool you. Can't believe pros went so low here but course was apparently way softer when they played. Polled a lot of locals, people either seem to love or hate this course. I was more in the love camp but you will get some bad bounces here and need to accept that. Clubhouse is a beautiful, modern design.

Nice trip! Many people would say you played the best muni and best private course in Dallas in one swing.

PING G430 Max 10K 10.5* - VENTUS Velocore Blue 6S

PING G425 LST 14.5* - VENTUS Velocore Blue 7S

PING G425 Max 20.5* - Tour AD-IZ 7X

Ping G425 Hybrid 24.5* - VENTUS Blue HB 9X

Srixon ZX5 5/6 ZX7 7-PW - Nippon Modus3 120S

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/58 - DG Spinner

L.A.B. DF 2.1 - Accra || Artisan 0120 Longneck - BGT Stability Tour

> @birdiebarrage said:

> Recent Dallas trip report:

>

> Stevens Park - Really enjoyed this muni. Greens were recently redone, apparently. Course overall was in good shape, especially given the lack of rain. Fun holes with some quirk, the back-9 gives some incredible views of the Dallas skyline. Some tree management needed. Would definitely play again.

>

> Dallas National - Incredible facility and practice areas. Great vibe. Course is a beast, particularly the final six holes or so. Bent grass greens, were a little chewed up in the afternoon but rolled well. Demanding off the tee with some great elevation changes. Would never pass up a chance to play here. Food also extremely good.

>

> Trinity Forest - Stiff breeze, extremely firm turf. Greens were rocks and FAST. This course kind of kicked my **** tbh, would like to play it again. You need to be confident of the lines you take and its a little tough to judge the first time. Some putts just completely fool you. Can't believe pros went so low here but course was apparently way softer when they played. Polled a lot of locals, people either seem to love or hate this course. I was more in the love camp but you will get some bad bounces here and need to accept that. Clubhouse is a beautiful, modern design.

Not to be "that guy," but is there a potential WRX hook-up for playing DN?

Looking at a trip to DFW between Oct. 28 - Nov. 4th

Planning on playing the following courses:

* Rockwood

* Squaw Creek

* Mira Vista

* Texas Rangers (if I have a fourth day open)

I'll plan these around two other appointments I have on the 29th.

Anyone around the area available and interested in some golf with a travelling Canuck?

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

What is anyone's take on Timarron Country Club. I was trying to get on Stonebriar, but it has a event for the day. So my next Club Corp option is Timarron. This is an off the plane option.

I wanted Waterchase, but they have a shotgun going off at 1p and they are stopping times at 10:12. :(

> @puttnforthe8 said:

> What is anyone's take on Timarron Country Club. I was trying to get on Stonebriar, but it has a event for the day. So my next Club Corp option is Timarron. This is an off the plane option.

>

> I wanted Waterchase, but they have a shotgun going off at 1p and they are stopping times at 10:12. :(

>

>

Are you Clubcorp? You should be able to get on either the club or Fazio course at Stonebriar. They whore out the Fazio course this time of year to outside tournaments but club would be available.

Next best Clubcorp option is Stonebridge Dye. Timarron is just your avg course.

> @dfwgolf123 said:

> > @puttnforthe8 said:

> > What is anyone's take on Timarron Country Club. I was trying to get on Stonebriar, but it has a event for the day. So my next Club Corp option is Timarron. This is an off the plane option.

> >

> > I wanted Waterchase, but they have a shotgun going off at 1p and they are stopping times at 10:12. :(

> >

> >

>

> Are you Clubcorp? You should be able to get on either the club or Fazio course at Stonebriar. They **** out the Fazio course this time of year to outside tournaments but club would be available.

>

> Next best Clubcorp option is Stonebridge Dye. Timarron is just your avg course.

Played the Dye Course this past Tuesday. It is in really good shape and the greens are really, really good and on the quick side.

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @dfwgolf123 said:

> > > @puttnforthe8 said:

> > > What is anyone's take on Timarron Country Club. I was trying to get on Stonebriar, but it has a event for the day. So my next Club Corp option is Timarron. This is an off the plane option.

> > >

> > > I wanted Waterchase, but they have a shotgun going off at 1p and they are stopping times at 10:12. :(

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Are you Clubcorp? You should be able to get on either the club or Fazio course at Stonebriar. They **** out the Fazio course this time of year to outside tournaments but club would be available.

> >

> > Next best Clubcorp option is Stonebridge Dye. Timarron is just your avg course.

>

> Played the Dye Course this past Tuesday. It is in really good shape and the greens are really, really good and on the quick side.

> @dfwgolf123 said:

> > @puttnforthe8 said:

> > What is anyone's take on Timarron Country Club. I was trying to get on Stonebriar, but it has a event for the day. So my next Club Corp option is Timarron. This is an off the plane option.

> >

> > I wanted Waterchase, but they have a shotgun going off at 1p and they are stopping times at 10:12. :(

> >

> >

>

> Are you Clubcorp? You should be able to get on either the club or Fazio course at Stonebriar. They **** out the Fazio course this time of year to outside tournaments but club would be available.

>

> Next best Clubcorp option is Stonebridge Dye. Timarron is just your avg course.

Yes...I have the Clubcorp membership. I already tried for Stonebriar...both courses packed (1 an event, the other full for members) :( I will look at Stonebridge. Thanks