Phil's bag set up @ Memorial (& possibly the US Open?)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only Phil could bag 2 drivers and still manage to have a 64* wedge in his bag. The man is a menace.

Looks like MBs are out, he’s playing Epic Pro in 4-6 irons, and Apex Pro in the rest along with a UT?

> @DTown3011 said: > Looks like MBs are out, he’s playing Epic Pro in 4-6 irons, and Apex Pro in the rest along with a UT?   This is awesome. 4 different clubheads from 2i - Xwedge. X Forged

Phil looks (a little) more athletic in shorts

*edit - as he sets his coffee mug down next to the tee marker after teeing his ball up, much like any of my playing partners may do Saturday morning.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

So, “three” wood out, 2nd driver in is what it looks like? A straight swap, at least for Phil.

Mavrik SZ 8° w/AD BB

Big Bertha Mini 12° w/Voodoo VS 
Epic Flash 17° w/Rogue M•AX
X Forged UT 18° & 22° w/PX
Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
X Forged Jaws 54 w/PX

PM 1.0 58 w/Spinner
White Hot #5 Center Shafted
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

> @"Dan Drake" said:

> So, “three” wood out, 2nd driver in is what it looks like? A straight swap, at least for Phil.

He claims the 2nd driver is only this week though, which seems kind of strange.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/phil-mickelson-70-playing-two-drivers-good-start-memorial

I know he played Merion well with just the 3 Deep. But that was also 6 years ago when relatively speaking he had more distance vs a lot of the top players. If anything, almost seems like he could play Pebble with the 2/3 wood and long driver for a few holes (2, 9, 10 and maybe beneficial on 4, 14, and 18). Of course, he needs to be able to keep it in play though.

Best calves in the game!

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade SIM Ti 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

I see the T1100 haz. What is the second driver shaft? Isn't it the RIP proto?

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

> @agolf1 said:

> > @"Dan Drake" said:

> > So, “three” wood out, 2nd driver in is what it looks like? A straight swap, at least for Phil.

>

> He claims the 2nd driver is only this week though, which seems kind of strange.

> https://www.golfchannel.com/news/phil-mickelson-70-playing-two-drivers-good-start-memorial

>

> I know he played Merion well with just the 3 Deep. But that was also 6 years ago when relatively speaking he had more distance vs a lot of the top players. If anything, almost seems like he could play Pebble with the 2/3 wood and long driver for a few holes (2, 9, 10 and maybe beneficial on 4, 14, and 18). Of course, he needs to be able to keep it in play though.

Yeah sounds like this week's "Bomber driver" is what he's been using tweaked longer for extra speed and the "cute cut" driver is a shorter set up with the Rogue or rip or whatever Aldila shaft he started testing in Charlotte with the plan being to use the "cute little cut" driver at the opens

Looks like MBs are out, he’s playing Epic Pro in 4-6 irons, and Apex Pro in the rest along with a UT?

• Like 1

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

> @DTown3011 said:

> Looks like MBs are out, he’s playing Epic Pro in 4-6 irons, and Apex Pro in the rest along with a UT?

This is awesome. 4 different clubheads from 2i - Xwedge. X Forged UT -> Epic Pros -> Apex Pros -> '19 PM Grinds. All different offsets, toplines, scorelines, everything. I have no idea how he gets his yardages set well enough to trust them under tournament conditions, but he does and when he's on, he's as good as anyone.

That said, I'm a massive fan of the overall bag setup. Two drivers, a wedge setup that fits his game to a "T," and a giant iron progression that allows for as much forgiveness as he "needs" to hit as many greens as possible. I think we can learn a ton from his bag and Kuchar's bag. They are both so well structured for their game and the shots they are going to face most often.

• Like 1

Mavrik SZ 8° w/AD BB

Big Bertha Mini 12° w/Voodoo VS 
Epic Flash 17° w/Rogue M•AX
X Forged UT 18° & 22° w/PX
Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
X Forged Jaws 54 w/PX

PM 1.0 58 w/Spinner
White Hot #5 Center Shafted
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

2 drivers 0 cuts made

Driver: Taylormade M4 (9.5) - Kuro Kage 70X

3W: Nike VR Pro LE (15) - Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X

Utility: Taylormade GAPR Lo 3i (19) - Tensei CK Pro White 90TX

Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo (4-PW) - DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM7 52.8, 56.10, 60.04 - DG S400

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Black 3T (white hot insert)

Only Phil could bag 2 drivers and still manage to have a 64* wedge in his bag. The man is a menace.

• Like 2

Mavrik Sub Zero 9* - HZRDUS Hulk 60x
Mavrik Sub Zero 13.5* - Rogue White 130 70x
Apex 19 2h- Project X Evenflow Black 6.5
Apex Black 19 - 4-6 - DG AMT White  X100
Apex Pro Black 19 - 7-PW - DG AMT White X100
Jaws MD5 Tour Grey- 50, 54, 60- DG Onyx TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini Red w/ Stability Tour Shaft
Taylor Made TP5 PIX

I'm all in favor of using clubs that offer more help. But I can't imagine having that many different irons in the bag. I prefer the consistency of look/feel of how the club swings as much as possible. For example, I don't want to combo a Ping G and i series together. I know I need more help in the lower lofted irons so just stick with the hacker clubs.

> @BearQ said:

> Phil is the calves champion and also raised his testosterone with the two drivers

Tiger is envious of Phil's calves. You know he is. :)

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

SIM 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"

SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Lead tape won't make him hit fairways at the end of the day. After years of saying 1 or 200 revs don't a difference MC did something similar in his 9 iron and results weren't visibly different.

I suppose if it feels better then it might have a positive effect. Can't get my head around not being able to hit fairways, regardless of speed or distance if you're that talented you must be able to figure out a "go to" shot that allows you to make the weekend.

But it is Phil...he's won a ton and worth a fortune so not that important in the grand scheme of things.

> @JonnyKrasnodar said:

> Lead tape won't make him hit fairways at the end of the day. After years of saying 1 or 200 revs don't a difference MC did something similar in his 9 iron and results weren't visibly different.

> I suppose if it feels better then it might have a positive effect. Can't get my head around not being able to hit fairways, regardless of speed or distance if you're that talented you must be able to figure out a "go to" shot that allows you to make the weekend.

> But it is Phil...he's won a ton and worth a fortune so not that important in the grand scheme of things.

200 RPM in the 9 iron (~8500 total RPM) v driver (~2400 total RPM) is not insignificant. Not apples to apples, at all.

> @hardcaliber said:

> A bit shocked to see the gi irons going up to 5 or 6. Has he always done this? I thought he was a mb type of guy. Is this a course specific change and if so, what is he trying to accomplish. Is he expecting to hit a lot of really long approach shots with mid irons and needs extra height/distance?

I think he's had one Epic Pro in the bag for a while now. His irons have varied a lot of the years. Played the Callaway blades (Apex, Razr X) in full set and just short-irons. He also played a full set of the (2013?) X-Forged for quite a while. I think he actually went away from and came back to these irons once. I believe they (2013 X Forged) would be most like the current Apex Pros?