If you are a 10HDCP with declining length, what clubs do you buy?

tsecor

You are completely right. I have always loved the AP2,'s but the lofts are very weak on those compared to a lot of other clubs out there. I don't really NEED new irons, but I don't feel like I'm striking the ball as well as I used to either (missing the sweet spot a lot more)....its just one of my thoughts as I look for ways to get better as I get a little older > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > > @Laznasty said:

> > > Here's a few good places to start:

> > > -**Titleist**: ap2 or ap3

> > > -**Mizuno**: jpx 919 tours, jpx 919 forged

> > > -**Taylormade**: p760's, p790's

> > > -**Ping**: G410

> > > -**Callaway**: apex 19, apex pro dot

> > > -**Cobra**: F9 speedback

> > > If money isn't an issue, EPON AF-505's

> >

> > I was thinking AP2's as well to keep the looks I like but get some added forgiveness. I hit the ball straight but my 4I is now 190-200 and not 210 any longer.

>

> Unlikely AP2 will get you your old distances back. To gain back 10-20 yards you need to hit an extra club or two, not get new irons. A 190 yard 4i is longer than most golfers out there, and unless you are playing >6700 yard courses, is more than enough to get you around the course.

>

> LPGA Tour Trackman stats show average female pro 4i carry around 170. Lee6 is a little longer than average, but just shot -6 probably carrying her 4i on a 6700 yard course probably 10- 20 yards less than you. Do you reeeeeeeeeeeallly need all new irons to get 10 yards back if your main focus is lowering scores?

>

> Not to derail or discourage new irons because by all means, the new stuff out now is great but I'm not sure you're going to be satisfied based on what you just said.

> @tsecor said:

> You are completely right. I have always loved the AP2,'s but the lofts are very weak on those compared to a lot of other clubs out there. I don't really NEED new irons, but I don't feel like I'm striking the ball as well as I used to either (missing the sweet spot a lot more)....its just one of my thoughts as I look for ways to get better as I get a little older > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > > @Laznasty said:

> > > > Here's a few good places to start:

> > > > -**Titleist**: ap2 or ap3

> > > > -**Mizuno**: jpx 919 tours, jpx 919 forged

> > > > -**Taylormade**: p760's, p790's

> > > > -**Ping**: G410

> > > > -**Callaway**: apex 19, apex pro dot

> > > > -**Cobra**: F9 speedback

> > > > If money isn't an issue, EPON AF-505's

> > >

> > > I was thinking AP2's as well to keep the looks I like but get some added forgiveness. I hit the ball straight but my 4I is now 190-200 and not 210 any longer.

> >

> > Unlikely AP2 will get you your old distances back. To gain back 10-20 yards you need to hit an extra club or two, not get new irons. A 190 yard 4i is longer than most golfers out there, and unless you are playing >6700 yard courses, is more than enough to get you around the course.

> >

> > LPGA Tour Trackman stats show average female pro 4i carry around 170. Lee6 is a little longer than average, but just shot -6 probably carrying her 4i on a 6700 yard course probably 10- 20 yards less than you. Do you reeeeeeeeeeeallly need all new irons to get 10 yards back if your main focus is lowering scores?

> >

> > Not to derail or discourage new irons because by all means, the new stuff out now is great but I'm not sure you're going to be satisfied based on what you just said.

>

>

I understand. I think you would do well going with something like P790 then. They are a little strong lofted, but in my experience having gamed them for all of 2018, is that as long as you aren't playing into very firm greens they will still stop if you use a higher spinning ball like ProV, etc. I still use the 4i and last weekend I hit a ball out of light rough to a flag 195 away with the 4i... carried it about 193, and it only rolled about 8 feet. I'm higher speed like you and never once had issues stopping balls on greens.

I hit irons high as well so stopping the ball isn't an issue, but its alarming when you pull out a club, hit it well and realize a few hits later you keep coming up short.....then it hits you like a ton of bricks "IM LOSING DISTANCE".....lol...

I took a peek at the Mizuno MP-18 MMC......I might go hit some of the suggestions you guys outlined here to see what results I get vs my current clubs.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > You are completely right. I have always loved the AP2,'s but the lofts are very weak on those compared to a lot of other clubs out there. I don't really NEED new irons, but I don't feel like I'm striking the ball as well as I used to either (missing the sweet spot a lot more)....its just one of my thoughts as I look for ways to get better as I get a little older > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > @tsecor said:

> > > > > @Laznasty said:

> > > > > Here's a few good places to start:

> > > > > -**Titleist**: ap2 or ap3

> > > > > -**Mizuno**: jpx 919 tours, jpx 919 forged

> > > > > -**Taylormade**: p760's, p790's

> > > > > -**Ping**: G410

> > > > > -**Callaway**: apex 19, apex pro dot

> > > > > -**Cobra**: F9 speedback

> > > > > If money isn't an issue, EPON AF-505's

> > > >

> > > > I was thinking AP2's as well to keep the looks I like but get some added forgiveness. I hit the ball straight but my 4I is now 190-200 and not 210 any longer.

> > >

> > > Unlikely AP2 will get you your old distances back. To gain back 10-20 yards you need to hit an extra club or two, not get new irons. A 190 yard 4i is longer than most golfers out there, and unless you are playing >6700 yard courses, is more than enough to get you around the course.

> > >

> > > LPGA Tour Trackman stats show average female pro 4i carry around 170. Lee6 is a little longer than average, but just shot -6 probably carrying her 4i on a 6700 yard course probably 10- 20 yards less than you. Do you reeeeeeeeeeeallly need all new irons to get 10 yards back if your main focus is lowering scores?

> > >

> > > Not to derail or discourage new irons because by all means, the new stuff out now is great but I'm not sure you're going to be satisfied based on what you just said.

> >

> >

>

> I understand. I think you would do well going with something like P790 then. They are a little strong lofted, but in my experience having gamed them for all of 2018, is that as long as you aren't playing into very firm greens they will still stop if you use a higher spinning ball like ProV, etc. I still use the 4i and last weekend I hit a ball out of light rough to a flag 195 away with the 4i... carried it about 193, and it only rolled about 8 feet. I'm higher speed like you and never once had issues stopping balls on greens.

>

>

how do the AMT's feel? ive never hit with them. I used to have PX a few years back but they seems too stiff. like a board. I didn't like them....ive always loved DG for some reason......> @agolf1 said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > > @ChipNRun said:

> > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > ... However, you could also try lighter shafts in the more players' clubs if your strike is still pretty good. **Regardless, at some point a low lofted iron may need to go if the speed isn't there.**

> > >

> > > Initially get a gap analysis of your long irons. Do you "hit the wall" with major distance loss at the 4i or 3i... or, is every club longer than, say 9i, losing some distance? Depending on what you find, solutions might be:

> > > * Swap in a hybrid at the long end it you "hit the wall" at one longer iron.

> > > * If mainly a long end problem, you could softstep these shafts to soften the flex and help with launch.

> > > * Or, you might like the TT Dynamic Gold AMT [https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/](https://www.truetemper.com/products/amt-black/ "https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/") family of shafts. AMT stands for Ascending Mass Technology. This means the longer irons get lighter shafts to improve launch, while the shorter irons get heavier shafts to maintain control.

> > >

> > > ----------

> > > Finally, make sure your problem is not weather-related. During this wet and rainy spring, my group had several players concerned about falloff in iron distance. Behold, when the ground dried and we finally could get a firm foot plant, the distance returned!

> > >

> >

> > I think a shaft change may be in order as well....my current set up has the S400 shafts which weigh ~ 130g each. I wonder what weight would work for me to keep the distances I had. Fighting father time here!!!

> I'd say try the AMTs or the lighter DGs (115, 120?).

> @tsecor said:

> what does this mean?> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > A treadmill and a bowflex.

>

> > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > A treadmill and a bowflex.

>

>

The best way by far to maintain (or increase) distance is to improve (or maintain) strength and athleticism.

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

A health club membership and a golf lesson club! Never give in!!!> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > what does this mean?> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > A treadmill and a bowflex.

> >

> > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> >

> >

>

> The best way by far to maintain (or increase) distance is to improve (or maintain) strength and athleticism.

Here I thought that was pretty obvious when I suggested the same. I guess some people just want throw down some money for a magic bullet.

• Like 1

lol...I was just having some fun with you..... I go to the gym, don't work out like a maniac or anything but I do some work. Maybe I should up the weight and try to get stronger rather than maintaining.....seems like a lot of work...;) do you have any of those magic bullets though? > @buckeyefl said:

> A health club membership and a golf lesson club! Never give in!!!> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > what does this mean?> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > > A treadmill and a bowflex.

> > >

> > > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > >

> > >

> >

> > The best way by far to maintain (or increase) distance is to improve (or maintain) strength and athleticism.

>

> Here I thought that was pretty obvious when I suggested the same. I guess some people just want throw down some money for a magic bullet.

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > what does this mean?> @pinestreetgolf said:

> >

> > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> >

> >

>

> The best way by far to maintain (or increase) distance is to improve (or maintain) strength and athleticism.

I think im pretty athletic when it comes to basketball and softball but I wonder if yoga would help with golf....what the heck is bowflex???

> @tsecor said:

> > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > what does this mean?> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > >

> > > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > >

> > >

> >

> > The best way by far to maintain (or increase) distance is to improve (or maintain) strength and athleticism.

>

> I think im pretty athletic when it comes to basketball and softball but I wonder if yoga would help with golf....what the heck is bowflex???

Most of golf fitness is being able to maintain your balance (i.e. spine angle) while moving your shoulders around and your arms up and down at an extreme rate of speed. A bowflex is an at-home gym good for golf because you can do exercises in a golf position. Doing exercises like free-weights isn't useless but pretty close.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

> @agolf1 said:

> I'd play Ping G410 like irons.

This...or Mizuno Hot Metal's. A 10 capper misses a lot of greens (typically) so some mishit help will come in handy.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @tsecor said:

> how do the AMT's feel? ive never hit with them. I used to have PX a few years back but they seems too stiff. like a board. I didn't like them....ive always loved DG for some reason......> @agolf1 said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > > @ChipNRun said:

> > > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > ... However, you could also try lighter shafts in the more players' clubs if your strike is still pretty good. **Regardless, at some point a low lofted iron may need to go if the speed isn't there.**

> > > >

> > > > Initially get a gap analysis of your long irons. Do you "hit the wall" with major distance loss at the 4i or 3i... or, is every club longer than, say 9i, losing some distance? Depending on what you find, solutions might be:

> > > > * Swap in a hybrid at the long end it you "hit the wall" at one longer iron.

> > > > * If mainly a long end problem, you could softstep these shafts to soften the flex and help with launch.

> > > > * Or, you might like the TT Dynamic Gold AMT [https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/](https://www.truetemper.com/products/amt-black/ "https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/") family of shafts. AMT stands for Ascending Mass Technology. This means the longer irons get lighter shafts to improve launch, while the shorter irons get heavier shafts to maintain control.

> > > >

> > > > ----------

> > > > Finally, make sure your problem is not weather-related. During this wet and rainy spring, my group had several players concerned about falloff in iron distance. Behold, when the ground dried and we finally could get a firm foot plant, the distance returned!

> > > >

> > >

> > > I think a shaft change may be in order as well....my current set up has the S400 shafts which weigh ~ 130g each. I wonder what weight would work for me to keep the distances I had. Fighting father time here!!!

> > I'd say try the AMTs or the lighter DGs (115, 120?).

>

>

I'm not entirely sure. There are three models though, so I'd guess there's one that's not like PX. Probably the white or black model.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > how do the AMT's feel? ive never hit with them. I used to have PX a few years back but they seems too stiff. like a board. I didn't like them....ive always loved DG for some reason......> @agolf1 said:

> > > > @tsecor said:

> > > > > @ChipNRun said:

> > > > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > > ... However, you could also try lighter shafts in the more players' clubs if your strike is still pretty good. **Regardless, at some point a low lofted iron may need to go if the speed isn't there.**

> > > > >

> > > > > Initially get a gap analysis of your long irons. Do you "hit the wall" with major distance loss at the 4i or 3i... or, is every club longer than, say 9i, losing some distance? Depending on what you find, solutions might be:

> > > > > * Swap in a hybrid at the long end it you "hit the wall" at one longer iron.

> > > > > * If mainly a long end problem, you could softstep these shafts to soften the flex and help with launch.

> > > > > * Or, you might like the TT Dynamic Gold AMT [https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/](https://www.truetemper.com/products/amt-black/ "https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/") family of shafts. AMT stands for Ascending Mass Technology. This means the longer irons get lighter shafts to improve launch, while the shorter irons get heavier shafts to maintain control.

> > > > >

> > > > > ----------

> > > > > Finally, make sure your problem is not weather-related. During this wet and rainy spring, my group had several players concerned about falloff in iron distance. Behold, when the ground dried and we finally could get a firm foot plant, the distance returned!

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I think a shaft change may be in order as well....my current set up has the S400 shafts which weigh ~ 130g each. I wonder what weight would work for me to keep the distances I had. Fighting father time here!!!

> > > I'd say try the AMTs or the lighter DGs (115, 120?).

> >

> >

> I'm not entirely sure. There are three models though, so I'd guess there's one that's not like PX. Probably the white or black model.

All feel very different to PX. Definitely test. Hated black and red, liked white but the long irons felt too loose and spun a lot. Most people test/use PX in too stiff of a flex which is why it feels boardy. 6.0 is like X in many others and 5.5 is more like an S300 but still feels stiffer. If you want PX performance with less boardiness the LZ is the go.

> @Nessism said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > I'd play Ping G410 like irons.

>

> This...or Mizuno Hot Metal's. A 10 capper misses a lot of greens (typically) so some mishit help will come in handy.

>

>

I still say AP1 is the way to go. 10 handicap. Getting fit for the right shaft will make a big difference.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > I'd play Ping G410 like irons.

> >

> > This...or Mizuno Hot Metal's. A 10 capper misses a lot of greens (typically) so some mishit help will come in handy.

> >

> >

> I still say AP1 is the way to go. 10 handicap. Getting fit for the right shaft will make a big difference.

>

Not a fan of AP1. 43* PW is ridiculously strong. Plus the MOI is quite low for a iron of it's class - AP2 is higher (according to Maltby).

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

You could just strengthen the lofts of your current irons by a couple of degrees?

Maybe take out your longest iron and replace it with a hybrid once the lofts have been strengthened

Would be a cheaper way of doing it

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

> @Nessism said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @Nessism said:

> > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > I'd play Ping G410 like irons.

> > >

> > > This...or Mizuno Hot Metal's. A 10 capper misses a lot of greens (typically) so some mishit help will come in handy.

> > >

> > >

> > I still say AP1 is the way to go. 10 handicap. Getting fit for the right shaft will make a big difference.

> >

>

> Not a fan of AP1. 43* PW is ridiculously strong. Plus the MOI is quite low for a iron of it's class - AP2 is higher (according to Maltby).

YEs, but one could order them with the 9-iron 1* weak, and the PW 2* weak. Or use an AP2 PW like I do.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

i was an 8 when i went overseas for 6 of last 8 months. Just turned 69. Driver swing speed now down to 99. Fitter recommended I try Honma 737 driver (love guys who suggest much less expected and expensive clubs). Beat TS3, which had dominated my M1. All of which is to say, Honma’s Vizard shafts are magic. So i bought 737P irons with Vizard 60g stiff shafts. Mishits are straighter than with Steelhead XR Pro flushes. So i got gap and even sand wedge and now 3 and 5 metal. Yes, should trade out my Honma 5i and Steelhead 4 for 5 hybrid, but that is stuck in storage far away.

My conclusions armed: 1) newest and most popular might not be best. 2) Graphite shafts for seniors for irons and wedges! So much better than just a few years ago. Just easier in getting speed, launch and torque. 3) Companies that produce shafts for their heads:$. 4) a minimal topline/offset set can be friendly. 5) The cost of the 11 club Honma all graphite set: $640 (plus a month of EBay craziness). Take your time: we geezers have lots of that

> @TaylorMadeIt said:

> If you get a set of TaylorMade clubs with graphite shafts you'll be happy with the results. I used to hit my 7 iron 190 yards. Now with news shafts it goes 215 all because of new shafts and the TaylorMade technology.

> Good luck!

You only hit your 7 iron to 215 yards? Something is seriously wrong with your swing. Have you thought about lessons rather than tinkering with shafts?

I turned 62 last year and as my distances dropped my handicap started to climb. I got fit for what I would call a “players iron” (Wilson Staff FG forged cavity backs) with some forgiveness. The fitting also recommended a softer shaft which was a regular flex XP95 (lighter that my flighted rifles 6.0 shafts in my old Maxfli Australian blades) shaft with a lower kick point which helps me get the ball flight I like, and I got the lofts tweaked a couple of degrees stronger. And presto pretty much the same distances out of my irons. The same formula for my fairway woods (lighter weight regular flex shafts) in my 3 and 4 wood and the same for my driver. For me the answer was getting fit for new gear, and that to me is the best answer. Get on a launch monitor, crunch the numbers and make the adjustments. The results could surprise you! Good Luck.

• Like 1