Jump to content

New TM p790 irons ???


Recommended Posts

> @TheMoneyShot said:

> > @fredstar said:

> > > @Davethegolfer said:

> > > Ti review is up on Alex Etches -Golf Box reviews

> >

> > Pointless reviews, has he ever said an iron or club sux? No because they are a retailer.

>

> Nope, always positive reviews.

 

When you are as good as these guys you can hit anything and still make it work. I feel they definitely always say what they do and dont like. AL has said several times (even with the new titlesit T irons) that they are not for him but as his job is to hit them and report what happens when he does that is all they do. He could hit any iron with any loft 250m but that doesn't mean I'm going to think I can. There is so much more to a club then the number and loft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

> @TheMoneyShot said: > > @mBiden2 said: > > > @TheMoneyShot said: > > > > @jll62 said: > > > > > @TheMoneyShot said: > > > > > > @R

> @rkelso184 said: > > @BiggErn said: > > > @rkelso184 said: > > > > > > > > > > Nice photoshop but I’m sure they’ll make some other aesthetic

> @Stevens24 said: > SO if you listen to the podcast the taylor made guys say that with the tech and traditional lofts the ball height would be through the roof. Crossfield test the T200 and ha

> @hankmoody said:

> > @TheMoneyShot said:

> > > @Laznasty said:

> > > > @TheMoneyShot said:

> > > > Any reviews on the Ti version yet?

> > >

> >

> > Thanks for posting this video!

>

> Wow...the reviewer is swinging his 7i at 101 mph and getting 205 yards . That's what happens with a hot face and super fast swing I guess.

 

Sadly...I wouldnt know about the fast swing part.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the YT reviews. The new P790s look great but not thrilled with the Ti, cannot see any reason to get personally. Right now, keeping my Gen 1, perhaps next year the new ones. Fantastic job with the Gen 2 in looks though, but performance wise, the Gen 1 was tough to beat in the first place... B)

Callaway Epic Max LS, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Taylormade 2018 P790 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Moe Norman/Graves One Plane swing

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @caloge said:

> > @fredstar said:

> > > @Davethegolfer said:

> > > Ti review is up on Alex Etches -Golf Box reviews

> >

> > Pointless reviews, has he ever said an iron or club sux? No because they are a retailer.

>

> What a strange comment. Who's making bad clubs? Enjoy the review, and take from the numbers what you can.

 

It's like a car dealer reviewing cars he is selling. Would Golfbox or Rick Shiels give a more honest review?

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

Link to post
Share on other sites

SO if you listen to the podcast the taylor made guys say that with the tech and traditional lofts the ball height would be through the roof. Crossfield test the T200 and had the same height and similar spin(500 revs) to his club yet they were 12 yards longer. The lower CG and changed MOI require stronger loft to control height. Would you really want a 7 iron that goes 170 feet in the air on a normal shot??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Stevens24 said:

> SO if you listen to the podcast the taylor made guys say that with the tech and traditional lofts the ball height would be through the roof. Crossfield test the T200 and had the same height and similar spin(500 revs) to his club yet they were 12 yards longer. The lower CG and changed MOI require stronger loft to control height. Would you really want a 7 iron that goes 170 feet in the air on a normal shot??

 

I agree with everything said here, but let’s be realistic . . . manufacturers like TaylorMade aren’t strengthening lofts to bring the ball flight down. They are manipulating CG and other factors to optimize loft, height, and descent so they can use stronger lofts to achieve more distance. That is, a 7 iron still launches, peaks, and descends the way a 7 iron should, but goes further because of stronger lofts (and other head construction variables).

 

And I have no problem with that.

 

I just wish people would stop saying “Look at the lofts. That 7 iron is really a 6 iron with a 7 printed on it.” No. No it isn’t. Maybe 5 years ago that was happening, but current models allow longer distance with desired launch, peak height, and descent for each individual iron.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed^^

I struggle with the longer irons because they are....well longer. If a P790 7 iron goes longer than say a P730 7 iron at the same length, then I'm all for it. I love my current P790s because my typical miss is thin and it is very very forgiving in that area. The ball flies shorter but it runs forever, ultimately making up for that lost distance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea...i only care about spin really...a 7 iron with the loft of a bladed 5 iron needs to spin at least 5000 rps or greater at my swing speed...if you swing it tour speed fast and it spins 5000 then i cant play them because my spin will be too low. So i will have to test them because weakening them to get more spin gets them too high ...usually for me. I guess they are not going to be for me...at least not yet

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Shakespeare said:

> Yea...i only care about spin really...a 7 iron with the loft of a bladed 5 iron needs to spin at least 5000 rps or greater at my swing speed...if you swing it tour speed fast and it spins 5000 then i cant play them because my spin will be too low. So i will have to test them because weakening them to get more spin gets them too high ...usually for me. I guess they are not going to be for me...at least not yet

 

In modern head design, spin numbers aren’t as important as they once were thought to be. With multi-material heads like he P790, you can get high launch, peak height, and proper descent angle with lower spin.

 

Are focused on spin because you are concerned about launch, height, distance, or descent?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The TI is kind of like in 1994 or 1996 when Callaway did the BIg Bertha irons in the gold color. Didn't matter at all other than cost and cool factor. I don't see a problem with offering a premium option with a cost, because some people will pay it just t have it. Much like a Toyota Camry and a Lexus. looks pretty similar at 100 yards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @jdang307 said:

> Has anyone shown monitor differences between the old and new yet? Wonder if TM put an embargo on them for a little?

>

> Nothing wrong with the embargo as that’s good business. Just Surprised nobody did that I saw.

 

The same people do the reviews every time. Just look at the review and the new one. Not much difference other than minor aesthetics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @EricWGolf said:

> > @Shakespeare said:

> > Yea...i only care about spin really...a 7 iron with the loft of a bladed 5 iron needs to spin at least 5000 rps or greater at my swing speed...if you swing it tour speed fast and it spins 5000 then i cant play them because my spin will be too low. So i will have to test them because weakening them to get more spin gets them too high ...usually for me. I guess they are not going to be for me...at least not yet

>

> In modern head design, spin numbers aren’t as important as they once were thought to be. With multi-material heads like he P790, you can get high launch, peak height, and proper descent angle with lower spin.

>

> Are focused on spin because you are concerned about launch, height, distance, or descent?

 

Its more of a control thing....i dont play soft greens really...so ..lets say a 27 deg 5 iron spins 5200...if my 27.5 deg 7 iron spins lets say 4200 ..it would only work if i could hot it high enough to payoff. Guys with fast swing speeds could do it, but im afraid my launch window would be somewhere between the new 7iron and my old 5 iron,but spinning much less

Kind of would defeat the purpose of the stronger lofts since i would probably weaken them. That being said..the pxg,s seem to spin pretty good for stronger lofted irons..so maybe its still worth testing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Shakespeare said:

> > @EricWGolf said:

> > > @Shakespeare said:

> > > Yea...i only care about spin really...a 7 iron with the loft of a bladed 5 iron needs to spin at least 5000 rps or greater at my swing speed...if you swing it tour speed fast and it spins 5000 then i cant play them because my spin will be too low. So i will have to test them because weakening them to get more spin gets them too high ...usually for me. I guess they are not going to be for me...at least not yet

> >

> > In modern head design, spin numbers aren’t as important as they once were thought to be. With multi-material heads like he P790, you can get high launch, peak height, and proper descent angle with lower spin.

> >

> > Are focused on spin because you are concerned about launch, height, distance, or descent?

>

> Its more of a control thing....i dont play soft greens really...so ..lets say a 27 deg 5 iron spins 5200...if my 27.5 deg 7 iron spins lets say 4200 ..it would only work if i could hot it high enough to payoff. Guys with fast swing speeds could do it, but im afraid my launch window would be somewhere between the new 7iron and my old 5 iron,but spinning much less

> Kind of would defeat the purpose of the stronger lofts since i would probably weaken them. That being said..the pxg,s seem to spin pretty good for stronger lofted irons..so maybe its still worth testing.

 

It's a bit of a half-truth that spin is the key factor to stopping balls on greens. When you're dealing with mid and long irons, descent angle takes over in terms of importance. That's what Eric is trying to say.

TaylorMade SIM2 8.0, Tensei 1K White 60TX, 45"
TaylorMade SIM2 Rocket 3, HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"
TaylorMade Tour Preferred UDI, C-Taper Lite 115 X

TaylorMade P790 (2019) 3, DG X100 (SSx2)
TaylorMade P770 (2020) 4, DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC 5-7, DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7TW 8-PW, DG X100 (SSx2)
TaylorMade MG raw 52, raw Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade tour proto milled Juno, KBS CT Tour, 40.5" armlock
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @jll62 said:

> > @Shakespeare said:

> > > @EricWGolf said:

> > > > @Shakespeare said:

> > > > Yea...i only care about spin really...a 7 iron with the loft of a bladed 5 iron needs to spin at least 5000 rps or greater at my swing speed...if you swing it tour speed fast and it spins 5000 then i cant play them because my spin will be too low. So i will have to test them because weakening them to get more spin gets them too high ...usually for me. I guess they are not going to be for me...at least not yet

> > >

> > > In modern head design, spin numbers aren’t as important as they once were thought to be. With multi-material heads like he P790, you can get high launch, peak height, and proper descent angle with lower spin.

> > >

> > > Are focused on spin because you are concerned about launch, height, distance, or descent?

> >

> > Its more of a control thing....i dont play soft greens really...so ..lets say a 27 deg 5 iron spins 5200...if my 27.5 deg 7 iron spins lets say 4200 ..it would only work if i could hot it high enough to payoff. Guys with fast swing speeds could do it, but im afraid my launch window would be somewhere between the new 7iron and my old 5 iron,but spinning much less

> > Kind of would defeat the purpose of the stronger lofts since i would probably weaken them. That being said..the pxg,s seem to spin pretty good l > @jll62 said:

> > @Shakespeare said:

> > > @EricWGolf said:

> > > > @Shakespeare said:

> > > > Yea...i only care about spin really...a 7 iron with the loft of a bladed 5 iron needs to spin at least 5000 rps or greater at my swing speed...if you swing it tour speed fast and it spins 5000 then i cant play them because my spin will be too low. So i will have to test them because weakening them to get more spin gets them too high ...usually for me. I guess they are not going to be for me...at least not yet

> > >

> > > In modern head design, spin numbers aren’t as important as they once were thought to be. With multi-material heads like he P790, you can get high launch, peak height, and proper descent angle with lower spin.

> > >

> > > Are focused on spin because you are concerned about launch, height, distance, or descent?

> >

> > Its more of a control thing....i dont play soft greens really...so ..lets say a 27 deg 5 iron spins 5200...if my 27.5 deg 7 iron spins lets say 4200 ..it would only work if i could hot it high enough to payoff. Guys with fast swing speeds could do it, but im afraid my launch window would be somewhere between the new 7iron and my old 5 iron,but spinning much less

> > Kind of would defeat the purpose of the stronger lofts since i would probably weaken them. That being said..the pxg,s seem to spin pretty good for stronger lofted irons..so maybe its still worth testing.

>

> It's a bit of a half-truth that spin is the key factor to stopping balls on greens. When you're dealing with mid and long irons, descent angle takes over in terms of importance. That's what Eric is trying to say.

 

Understood...but spin is more about stopping balls on greens...consistant spin is needed for consistancy in yardage...the law of diminishing returns would put me in a hybrid at 19 degrees before a iron at 19 degrees..only because a lack if swing speed at a certain point in the iron would negate decent angle stopping power. Like I said..these irons ( at least the ti version) are probably too strong lofted...at least fo me

Link to post
Share on other sites

shinier sole, lower magic goop port screw, more rounded topline and slightly smaller blade length

PING G410 LST 9* - "Tour Issue" ALTA RED "X" 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
TAYLORMADE BLACK P790's - SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S (HSx1)
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Hifade said:

> shinier sole, lower magic goop port screw, more rounded topline and slightly smaller blade length

 

all that makes me want to hit these ...they would be awesome in long irons. i liked the P790 3i i had last year as a driving iron (still pissed i sold it!)

  • Like 1

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Diamana TB 70TX tipped 1.0"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

RTX Zipcore Black / 54, 60 / KBS Tour S+

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love original 790 in the 4-6 to go along with my 770 7-pw!! Perfect combo, but don’t know if it’ll be worth the upgrade for the new version

 

 

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 131 replies
    • 2021 Wells Fargo - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #2
       
       

       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters & covers - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      New Ping Glide Forged Pro wedge - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Behind the scenes on the PXG truck - 2021 Wells Fargo
      PXG Gen 4 0311 T & 0311 ST irons - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Jason Day testing a SIK putter with LA Golf shaft - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Scotty Cameron T2 putter - 2021 Wells Fargo
      KH Lee's Odyssey putter - - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Patrick Cantlay's Cameron T-5 - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Rory has the TM "Rors" protos in the bag - 2021 Wells Fargo
       
       
        • Like
      • 17 replies
    • 2021 Valspar Championship - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #8
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #9
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #10
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #11
       
       
       
       
       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Axis 1 Proto - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Jimmy Walker "testing" a LA Golf proto putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Scotty Cameron putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
       
      • 17 replies
    • Post in Ping 2021 Irons
      Victor has i59 in the bag this week!
        • Thanks
        • Like
    • 2021 RBC Heritage - discussions and links
      Please post any questions and comments here.
       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       

       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       
       

       
      Custom Cameron putters - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Bettinardi putter - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Robert Streb's custom stamped Vokey wedge - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Ben An's custom stamped Vokey - 2021 RBC Heritage
      • 17 replies

×
×
  • Create New...