Why Cant I develop Accuracy in my Driver?

> @Pepperturbo said:

> Older age and distance have nothing to do with hitting the ball poorly. It's grooved mechanics that hit the ball with the sweet spot. You mention speeding up and slowing down as if they are two ends of a spectrum, not the case. There is NO normal to measure up to. Normal is what you're comfortable with when your equipment and mechanics properly match up to impact the ball. My normal transition and tempo are faster than most others, reason at my age I still play stiff tip tour shafts and hit the ball 240+ carry and almost 70 years old.

NO NO, nothing about age in regards to the swing, Sorry please excuse me if I implied that. I was employing that the playing partners I play always say how FAST I swing, because they dont swing that fast and always tell me to try and slow down. I have no raw talent, so doing disrupts the tempo further, as we can see now with the videos and still, the EE is bad still and the flip/cast is bad, so if I slowed the swing down...you can imagine that it would either be a pop up left or just a Terrible flip hook LOL. So Until I can smooth out the issues.... I guess timing and tempo wont matter... it just will be bad?

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

The picture you say is your "REAL" swing appears as though your club is past parallel or overswinging and your upper body is too upright. Combined, there are too many moving parts making it difficult to get the clubface back to square at impact, resulting in the ball going right and left. Practice swing and real swing should always mimic each other.

What I was talking about in my other post was said without seeing the above pics. If you're swinging hard with what I see are contributing issues, squaring the face at impact isn't likely to happen even if you slow it down.

I suspect your mechanics vary so much they make proper impact unrepeatable. My last thought is I don't believe discussing your mechanics here will help much. That swing needs to be adjusted from the feet up so it's one and the same during a practice swing and playing swing. 2cents from a 2-4 index.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

>

> > Older age and distance have nothing to do with hitting the ball poorly. It's grooved mechanics that hit the ball with the sweet spot. You mention speeding up and slowing down as if they are two ends of a spectrum, not the case. There is NO normal to measure up to. Normal is what you're comfortable with when your equipment and mechanics properly match up to impact the ball. My normal transition and tempo are faster than most others, reason at my age I still play stiff tip tour shafts and hit the ball 240+ carry and almost 70 years old.

>

> NO NO, nothing about age in regards to the swing, Sorry please excuse me if I implied that. I was employing that the playing partners I play always say how FAST I swing, because they dont swing that fast and always tell me to try and slow down. I have no raw talent, so doing disrupts the tempo further, as we can see now with the videos and still, the EE is bad still and the flip/cast is bad, so if I slowed the swing down...you can imagine that it would either be a pop up left or just a Terrible flip hook LOL. So Until I can smooth out the issues.... I guess timing and tempo wont matter... it just will be bad?

>

>

Maybe what they are telling you is that your too quick in transition so that your getting thrown out of sequence which creates a lot of Chaos in your swing. Of course anything you hear from playing partners needs to be taken with a large amount of salt. If it's from the internet you need a 50lb bag of it...

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @Pepperturbo said:

> The picture you say is your "REAL" swing appears past parallel or overswing and your upper body is too upright. I see it as too many moving parts making it difficult to get the clubface back to square at impact, resulting in the ball going right and left. **Practice swing and real swing should always mimic each other.**

This is what I have been told and assumed..... Can we agree that there is inherent difference regardless if they are good or bad... It should mimic though right?

Per @jut111 he says ignore it completely and this is where the confusion sets in..... Then if we ignore or cant even generate a good practice swing, whats the point?

Regardless, THOUGH as @Jut111 and as many of you all indicated the faults.... The next real understanding is what to do next.

I mean "turtle-back" arching/hip thrusting is NOT optimal.... and if that is the by product to a open face, then the only thing left to do is have the face so far closed now, so that I compensate a different way to open it at impact? (generically speaking, not literal)

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @Exactice808 said:

> > > @Pepperturbo said:

> >

> > > Older age and distance have nothing to do with hitting the ball poorly. It's grooved mechanics that hit the ball with the sweet spot. You mention speeding up and slowing down as if they are two ends of a spectrum, not the case. There is NO normal to measure up to. Normal is what you're comfortable with when your equipment and mechanics properly match up to impact the ball. My normal transition and tempo are faster than most others, reason at my age I still play stiff tip tour shafts and hit the ball 240+ carry and almost 70 years old.

> >

> > NO NO, nothing about age in regards to the swing, Sorry please excuse me if I implied that. I was employing that the playing partners I play always say how FAST I swing, because they dont swing that fast and always tell me to try and slow down. I have no raw talent, so doing disrupts the tempo further, as we can see now with the videos and still, the EE is bad still and the flip/cast is bad, so if I slowed the swing down...you can imagine that it would either be a pop up left or just a Terrible flip hook LOL. So Until I can smooth out the issues.... I guess timing and tempo wont matter... it just will be bad?

> >

> >

>

>

> Maybe what they are telling you is that your too quick in transition so that your getting thrown out of sequence which creates a lot of Chaos in your swing. Of course anything you hear from playing partners needs to be taken with a large amount of salt. If it's from the internet you need a 50lb bag of it...

The INSTRUCTOR did point this out, my playing partners are SURELY the grain of salts LOL.

The second lesson as I think I posted here was addressing the dispersion issue through out my clubs. What he found was my timing was off. LIKE you stated there were times where I was deliberate and other times I was way too quick. So I we worked on a "metronome" effect. Of just counting off the sequence.... (1) take away, (2) club head at the top of the swing, (3) fire everything.... rather then (1) take away to top, (2) fire everything.... This DID help to a certain extent, but I admit my timing could never hold that well....so again slowing the swing down per se, just created more of a mess. TO go back to my point, It may be MY fault as I never asked the instructor the question I am asking NOW. I think its more of a revelation now, that I know the issues, I have asked the questions hear gotten the answer and the same answer on youtube... Thought I fixed it..... but never really did. So now its back to the drawing board and ACTUALLY understanding what the fix is and why I personally am not implementing it when I thought I was....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @jut111 said:

> I don't know about you, but I have limited time on this planet. I'll spend my golf practice time working on the swing I actually hit a ball with.

> Pretty confident you get that right, and your practice swing will be great too. and if it's not who cares?

LOL! I know exactly what you mean..... I think I misunderstood you and saw it as apples vs oranges....

Here is the thing... I can HIT the ball square with my swing it has gotten me this FAR... PERIOD.... lack of accuracy it seem to put good and bad scores on the table..... You are right THAT is what I have been doing... using my practice time to "hit a ball with it".

The issue that I see now, is that since my golf swing is "inherently" flawed YET I can get around the course with it... SHOULD I accept and play with the inherently flawed swing... Or address the flaws and fix it as a whole, OR just deal with the flaws and play the best I can with it?

As for the practice swing vs actual swing.... HOW does one improve when NOT in front of golf ball. We dont live 24hr behind a ball, and my time to play and practice now days are very limited so all I have is "practice" swings in the house. to train the body with corrections. As @copperjeff has given me a first "start" motion, this is essentially practice swings right? that then translate to the real swing? Shouldn't those 2 swings match up??

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I do most of my practice at home. I have lots of stuff to do drills with. Key is you need something to give you feedback. I have a mirror to check setup.

Use phone to record. Alignment sticks. pool noodle. rope. I bought a sheftic pressure board. Use floppy balls that you can hit indoors. I don't really do many full swings at home and when I do they are more like half speed or slower - mainly things like single arm swings, putting (I have a visio putting template), I have some old matts that golftec gave me long ago. I do short pitches/chips too. I use alignments sticks stuck into the grip - or in my belt loops, or on the ground. Can stand on the pool noodle for putting and swings.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

> @glk said:

> I do most of my practice at home. I have lots of stuff to do drills with. Key is you need something to give you feedback. I have a mirror to check setup.

> Use phone to record. Alignment sticks. pool noodle. rope. I bought a sheftic pressure board. Use floppy balls that you can hit indoors. I don't really do many full swings at home and when I do they are more like half speed or slower - mainly things like single arm swings, putting (I have a visio putting template), I have some old matts that golftec gave me long ago. I do short pitches/chips too.

HAHAHAH!!! OMG, this is awesome you know how much crap I have at home to do stuff with... ODDLY I will admit though I am lazy to record the actual video, SO am making the mistake to THINK I might be implementing a change..... but ultimately I am now.... I need to get that "mirror" or video setup to really keep a keen on on things. fixes.

SO here is the thing now.... And the "contradiction" while I assume "neither is wrong" its just how someone receives it. You say you do most of your practice at home, right to help engrave something to take to the range? That means your "practice" swing outside of over extenuated moves are meant to replicate a real swing right?

while others say dont even pay attention the practice.... how confusing...... my brain is broken.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

>

> The issue that I see now, is that since my golf swing is "inherently" flawed YET I can get around the course with it... SHOULD I accept and play with the inherently flawed swing... Or address the flaws and fix it as a whole, OR just deal with the flaws and play the best I can with it?

>

>

Every one has a flaw to some extent and we all have our tendencies. For me with driver, I know if I can stay pretty quite relatively with my body, I can produce a nice tight draw. If I want to hammer the ball and get a bit quick with it it'll be a cut fade or high fade if I really get excited.

Main thing is if you can stay predictable, play your tendencies. Leave the perfect shots to the pros.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

What swings I do at home involve hitting those floppy balls - and typically are not full swings but shortened versions at slower tempo. I'm not making air swings. I make real swings not practice swings. And I don't make practice swings while playing - I typically do short takeaways before swinging. Short game, yes I'm going to swing to get a sense of pace, length of swing, setup, etc . . . And full swings I might go a bit more if I have a really nonlevel lie.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Your way overthinking this. Point is your focus has to be on the clubface throughout the swing. Practicing without a ball in slow mo is great for that. My point was don't waste your time videoing practice swings and comparing them to real swings so you can nitpicking your EE and body positions. Worry about the face, real swing practice swing, swings without a club in the shower (or maybe thats just me). Club face.

@Exactice808

You asked the question of should you be happy with your current swing or should you try and get better. Only you can answe that. Are you ok with shooting anything from 79-100ish on any given day? Or do you want to have a shot at even par, or have maximum score be 80s. What do you want?

If you are ok with where you are, work on rhythm and tempo, that will allow you to get the most out of the motion you currently have.

If you want every facet of your game to be better, then there is some work to do.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

> @jut111 said:

> Your way overthinking this. Point is your focus has to be on the clubface throughout the swing. Practicing without a ball in slow mo is great for that. My point was don't waste your time videoing practice swings and comparing them to real swings so you can nitpicking your EE and body positions. Worry about the face, real swing practice swing, swings without a club in the shower (or maybe thats just me). Club face.

I just answer my self in the other thread... IT FINALLY CLICKED..... It took a lot of post to get it.

The Inherent issue is the OPEN face. LIKE YOU FIRST mentioned it in the other thread... I COULD NOT figure or understand that. it did NOT sink it.

NOW I get it...... I really do. What I was negating in my mind the cause and effect and confusing myself.... the EE and casting is the effect I needed to do due to the cause of the open face. AS EVIDENT in both the practice swing and real swing. That went completely blind and over my head.. I finally got it.

Im going to type follow on to respond to everyone, BUT I want to say THANK YOU again for being patient till if finally "clicked" in my brain....sorry slow learner =)

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @copperjeff said:

> @Exactice808

>

> You asked the question of should you be happy with your current swing or should you try and get better. Only you can answer that. Are you ok with shooting anything from 79-100ish on any given day? Or do you want to have a shot at even par, or have maximum score be 80s. What do you want?

>

> If you are ok with where you are, work on rhythm and tempo, that will allow you to get the most out of the motion you currently have.

>

> If you want every facet of your game to be better, then there is some work to do.

And that is where I stand today. I Think NOW, I am accepting something I didnt from before. Before, Golf was a vacation to me. I never traveled for 13 yeas (couldnt fly, and I live on an island, hence 808 in my screen name, long thread background story on this) I finally just started traveling. so Golf as my vacation is becoming less.

I am starting to take it more seriously than I have. Even recently participating in threads I am starting to be MORE understanding about consistent score rather than Just my LOWEST scores. I know there are DAYS where I can shoot 70's but those are shots in the dark, BUT that means I have potential. Here is another point. I reached a resent score run of solid mid 80's - 83,85,85,81,86,86,80 the 90's are less.. But it seems I cant break below it either..... so am I just destined to be a 14hdcp forever or is there something I can do? I think there is PLENTY room for improvement as evident of my swing videos...... Again its gotten me this far... but I think I have reached the limit. Unless I actually make changes? So that is where I stand now.

FINALLY and possible the biggest one..... not sure if you can see my other threads...or how I post..... I am kind of an overthinking BUT that is my thing I possibly love it more than actually playing golf, this goes to a "prior" life.... to which I needed to calculate "everything" as each "shot" had to be perfect or NEAR perfect. even now in my garage I have so much tools to build my own ammo, measuring to the 100th decimal of powder which is kinda useless but enjoyable.

BUT that is where I stand with golf. I want to understand the nitty gritty mechanics. the underlying cause and effect and I am willing to dive into it. I MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY APPLY IT because I just lack the talent or the hand eye coordination, but I do want to at least truly understand.

So this past 2 days have been PHENOMENAL in my growth of knowledge in all honesty. I have learned more in the last 2 days then I have in the 6 months I thought I was improving.... LOL!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @copperjeff said:

> > @Exactice808

> >

> > You asked the question of should you be happy with your current swing or should you try and get better. Only you can answer that. Are you ok with shooting anything from 79-100ish on any given day? Or do you want to have a shot at even par, or have maximum score be 80s. What do you want?

> >

> > If you are ok with where you are, work on rhythm and tempo, that will allow you to get the most out of the motion you currently have.

> >

> > If you want every facet of your game to be better, then there is some work to do.

>

> And that is where I stand today. I Think NOW, I am accepting something I didnt from before. Before, Golf was a vacation to me. I never traveled for 13 yeas (couldnt fly, and I live on an island, hence 808 in my screen name, long thread background story on this) I finally just started traveling. so Golf as my vacation is becoming less.

>

> I am starting to take it more seriously than I have. Even recently participating in threads I am starting to be MORE understanding about consistent score rather than Just my LOWEST scores. I know there are DAYS where I can shoot 70's but those are shots in the dark, BUT that means I have potential. Here is another point. I reached a resent score run of solid mid 80's - 83,85,85,81,86,86,80 the 90's are less.. But it seems I cant break below it either..... so am I just destined to be a 14hdcp forever or is there something I can do? I think there is PLENTY room for improvement as evident of my swing videos...... Again its gotten me this far... but I think I have reached the limit. Unless I actually make changes? So that is where I stand now.

>

> FINALLY and possible the biggest one..... not sure if you can see my other threads...or how I post..... I am kind of an overthinking BUT that is my thing I possibly love it more than actually playing golf, this goes to a "prior" life.... to which I needed to calculate "everything" as each "shot" had to be perfect or NEAR perfect. even now in my garage I have so much tools to build my own ammo, measuring to the 100th decimal of powder which is kinda useless but enjoyable.

>

> BUT that is where I stand with golf. I want to understand the nitty gritty mechanics. the underlying cause and effect and I am willing to dive into it. I MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY APPLY IT because I just lack the talent or the hand eye coordination, but I do want to at least truly understand.

>

>

> So this past 2 days have been PHENOMENAL in my growth of knowledge in all honesty. I have learned more in the last 2 days then I have in the 6 months I thought I was improving.... LOL!

Cool!

Glad to hear youve got some understanding to click!

Youve got quite a bit to unpack in this post.

First, knowing where you want to go/be at in golf terms is important. It's sounding like where you are at isnt enough for you. Honestly, mid 80s from middle length tees is about as much as you can reasonably expect to squeeze from that swing in my opinion. To get significantly better you will likely need to make changes to your swing.

By significantly better I mean kicking 90s to the curb and making mid 80s bad rounds. Remember, the better you get the harder it is to improve.

Next, you talked about nitty gritty mechanics. If you want to dive into the minutiae that's fine, but not many people can teach themselves. The cool thing about better mechanics though is it takes LESS talent and LESS good "hand eye coordination" to play better.

You can play much better golf without understanding everything about the swing, lots and lots of people do. Thats why there are instructors to help you through the process of getting better.

Golfing Ginger

> @Krt22 said:

> You absolutely can apply learn it and apply it, you just need to be in the right mind set. Have you heard of Monte's Efficient swing video?

googling/youtubing now! LOL

I do agree that I can learn it and apply it, but I admit.... I was talking to a buddy in my office just now (he is a highschool golf coach so figured he can chime in his thoughts about this thread as hes play with me before.) Anyways...... I admit... for every 100 balls he hits to learn something... It would take me 1000's so its more just time... then Talent..... he has way more talent and likely many more people have THAT much more talent then I, I just need time to beat it into submission... to finally get it... heck it did take 2 days of post to get it in my think skull that both the practice and the real swing were broken not just the real swing LOL!

Anyways back to youtube to look up Monte.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @copperjeff said:

> > @Exactice808 said:

> > > @copperjeff said:

> > > @Exactice808

> > >

> > > You asked the question of should you be happy with your current swing or should you try and get better. Only you can answer that. Are you ok with shooting anything from 79-100ish on any given day? Or do you want to have a shot at even par, or have maximum score be 80s. What do you want?

> > >

> > > If you are ok with where you are, work on rhythm and tempo, that will allow you to get the most out of the motion you currently have.

> > >

> > > If you want every facet of your game to be better, then there is some work to do.

> >

> > And that is where I stand today. I Think NOW, I am accepting something I didnt from before. Before, Golf was a vacation to me. I never traveled for 13 yeas (couldnt fly, and I live on an island, hence 808 in my screen name, long thread background story on this) I finally just started traveling. so Golf as my vacation is becoming less.

> >

> > I am starting to take it more seriously than I have. Even recently participating in threads I am starting to be MORE understanding about consistent score rather than Just my LOWEST scores. I know there are DAYS where I can shoot 70's but those are shots in the dark, BUT that means I have potential. Here is another point. I reached a resent score run of solid mid 80's - 83,85,85,81,86,86,80 the 90's are less.. But it seems I cant break below it either..... so am I just destined to be a 14hdcp forever or is there something I can do? I think there is PLENTY room for improvement as evident of my swing videos...... Again its gotten me this far... but I think I have reached the limit. Unless I actually make changes? So that is where I stand now.

> >

> > FINALLY and possible the biggest one..... not sure if you can see my other threads...or how I post..... I am kind of an overthinking BUT that is my thing I possibly love it more than actually playing golf, this goes to a "prior" life.... to which I needed to calculate "everything" as each "shot" had to be perfect or NEAR perfect. even now in my garage I have so much tools to build my own ammo, measuring to the 100th decimal of powder which is kinda useless but enjoyable.

> >

> > BUT that is where I stand with golf. I want to understand the nitty gritty mechanics. the underlying cause and effect and I am willing to dive into it. I MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY APPLY IT because I just lack the talent or the hand eye coordination, but I do want to at least truly understand.

> >

> >

> > So this past 2 days have been PHENOMENAL in my growth of knowledge in all honesty. I have learned more in the last 2 days then I have in the 6 months I thought I was improving.... LOL!

>

> Cool!

>

> Glad to hear youve got some understanding to click!

>

> Youve got quite a bit to unpack in this post.

>

> First, knowing where you want to go/be at in golf terms is important. It's sounding like where you are at isnt enough for you. Honestly, mid 80s from middle length tees is about as much as you can reasonably expect to squeeze from that swing in my opinion. To get significantly better you will likely need to make changes to your swing.

>

>** By significantly better I mean kicking 90s to the curb and making mid 80s bad rounds. Remember, the better you get the harder it is to improve.**

>

> Next, you talked about nitty gritty mechanics. If you want to dive into the minutiae that's fine, but not many people can teach themselves. The cool thing about better mechanics though is it takes LESS talent and LESS good "hand eye coordination" to play better.

>

> You can play much better golf without understanding everything about the swing, lots and lots of people do. Thats why there are instructors to help you through the process of getting better.

Its funny as you say this as that has been the evolution.... prior was just breaking 100's.... then I did that... then it was not shooting over 100's.... then i did that...... then it was breaking into the 70's did that a bunch of times over the course of years.. BUT no where consistent to hold any pride in it. As i stated recently its been mid 80s and kinda holding. In my mind now I think 90's are gone and if I ever did it would have to be a freak situation. But mentally confident that shooting below 90's is relatively easy.

But I just cant break the 70's barrier as evident, lack of consistency . ANYWAYS. we now now where I want to go... at least now... so we can try to address the basics.... and hopefully move on?

I rehashed my ignorance enough AHAH my pride is shot and my ignorance was put on full display and I concede so now I just want to get to work on fixing it !!!!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > You absolutely can apply learn it and apply it, you just need to be in the right mind set. Have you heard of Monte's Efficient swing video?

> googling/youtubing now! LOL

> I do agree that I can learn it and apply it, but I admit.... I was talking to a buddy in my office just now (he is a highschool golf coach so figured he can chime in his thoughts about this thread as hes play with me before.) Anyways...... I admit... for every 100 balls he hits to learn something... It would take me 1000's so its more just time... then Talent..... he has way more talent and likely many more people have THAT much more talent then I, I just need time to beat it into submission... to finally get it... heck it did take 2 days of post to get it in my think skull that both the practice and the real swing were broken not just the real swing LOL!

>

>

> Anyways back to youtube to look up Monte.

Not everything you see and read about is good, and not all of it is correct.

From the stuff that is good, not all of it will apply to you.

Golfing Ginger

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @copperjeff said:

> > > @Exactice808 said:

> > > > @copperjeff said:

> > > > @Exactice808

> > > >

> > > > You asked the question of should you be happy with your current swing or should you try and get better. Only you can answer that. Are you ok with shooting anything from 79-100ish on any given day? Or do you want to have a shot at even par, or have maximum score be 80s. What do you want?

> > > >

> > > > If you are ok with where you are, work on rhythm and tempo, that will allow you to get the most out of the motion you currently have.

> > > >

> > > > If you want every facet of your game to be better, then there is some work to do.

> > >

> > > And that is where I stand today. I Think NOW, I am accepting something I didnt from before. Before, Golf was a vacation to me. I never traveled for 13 yeas (couldnt fly, and I live on an island, hence 808 in my screen name, long thread background story on this) I finally just started traveling. so Golf as my vacation is becoming less.

> > >

> > > I am starting to take it more seriously than I have. Even recently participating in threads I am starting to be MORE understanding about consistent score rather than Just my LOWEST scores. I know there are DAYS where I can shoot 70's but those are shots in the dark, BUT that means I have potential. Here is another point. I reached a resent score run of solid mid 80's - 83,85,85,81,86,86,80 the 90's are less.. But it seems I cant break below it either..... so am I just destined to be a 14hdcp forever or is there something I can do? I think there is PLENTY room for improvement as evident of my swing videos...... Again its gotten me this far... but I think I have reached the limit. Unless I actually make changes? So that is where I stand now.

> > >

> > > FINALLY and possible the biggest one..... not sure if you can see my other threads...or how I post..... I am kind of an overthinking BUT that is my thing I possibly love it more than actually playing golf, this goes to a "prior" life.... to which I needed to calculate "everything" as each "shot" had to be perfect or NEAR perfect. even now in my garage I have so much tools to build my own ammo, measuring to the 100th decimal of powder which is kinda useless but enjoyable.

> > >

> > > BUT that is where I stand with golf. I want to understand the nitty gritty mechanics. the underlying cause and effect and I am willing to dive into it. I MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY APPLY IT because I just lack the talent or the hand eye coordination, but I do want to at least truly understand.

> > >

> > >

> > > So this past 2 days have been PHENOMENAL in my growth of knowledge in all honesty. I have learned more in the last 2 days then I have in the 6 months I thought I was improving.... LOL!

> >

> > Cool!

> >

> > Glad to hear youve got some understanding to click!

> >

> > Youve got quite a bit to unpack in this post.

> >

> > First, knowing where you want to go/be at in golf terms is important. It's sounding like where you are at isnt enough for you. Honestly, mid 80s from middle length tees is about as much as you can reasonably expect to squeeze from that swing in my opinion. To get significantly better you will likely need to make changes to your swing.

> >

> >** By significantly better I mean kicking 90s to the curb and making mid 80s bad rounds. Remember, the better you get the harder it is to improve.**

> >

> > Next, you talked about nitty gritty mechanics. If you want to dive into the minutiae that's fine, but not many people can teach themselves. The cool thing about better mechanics though is it takes LESS talent and LESS good "hand eye coordination" to play better.

> >

> > You can play much better golf without understanding everything about the swing, lots and lots of people do. Thats why there are instructors to help you through the process of getting better.

>

> Its funny as you say this as that has been the evolution.... prior was just breaking 100's.... then I did that... then it was not shooting over 100's.... then i did that...... then it was breaking into the 70's did that a bunch of times over the course of years.. BUT no where consistent to hold any pride in it. As i stated recently its been mid 80s and kinda holding. In my mind now I think 90's are gone and if I ever did it would have to be a freak situation. But mentally confident that shooting below 90's is relatively easy.

>

> But I just cant break the 70's barrier as evident, lack of consistency . ANYWAYS. we now now where I want to go... at least now... so we can try to address the basics.... and hopefully move on?

>

> I rehashed my ignorance enough AHAH my pride is shot and my ignorance was put on full display and I concede so now I just want to get to work on fixing it !!!!

Great!!!

Start by working on the backswing.

Pretty sure glk posted some instagram video of one of Dans students working the alignment stick out of the grip drill.

Golfing Ginger

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @jut111 said:

> > I don't know about you, but I have limited time on this planet. I'll spend my golf practice time working on the swing I actually hit a ball with.

> > Pretty confident you get that right, and your practice swing will be great too. and if it's not who cares?

>

> LOL! I know exactly what you mean..... I think I misunderstood you and saw it as apples vs oranges....

>

> Here is the thing... I can HIT the ball square with my swing it has gotten me this FAR... PERIOD.... lack of accuracy it seem to put good and bad scores on the table..... You are right THAT is what I have been doing... using my practice time to "hit a ball with it".

>

> The issue that I see now, is that since my golf swing is "inherently" flawed YET I can get around the course with it... SHOULD I accept and play with the inherently flawed swing... Or address the flaws and fix it as a whole, OR just deal with the flaws and play the best I can with it?

>

> As for the practice swing vs actual swing.... HOW does one improve when NOT in front of golf ball. We dont live 24hr behind a ball, and my time to play and practice now days are very limited so all I have is "practice" swings in the house. to train the body with corrections. As @copperjeff has given me a first "start" motion, this is essentially practice swings right? that then translate to the real swing? Shouldn't those 2 swings match up??

>

>

The only golfers that I know that work "effectively" and or constantly on swing mechanics are better amateurs, and often they use an instructor. What I wouldn't suggest is taking all the info you gather here and try to implement it. IMO it's a recipe for poop. If you're unable or not wanting to tackle the problem with an instructor, then accept what you got and run with it. I know plenty of guys that address the ball with the driver's face manipulated closed hoping to square the face at impact. None of our swings are perfect. Some just better than others. The real proof of the pudding is the score walking off 18. Jim Furyk's swing isn't pretty or conventional, he just physically squares the fact at impact.

Again, IMO, practice swing and game swing need to be the same so it can be ingrained in muscle memory. Over time our swings get a bit out of whack. My solution is to pull out my old fashion MacGregor blades and hit balls. They help to remind me of proper swing mechanics. In other words, attention to details that I errantly forgot. I don't suggest that for others, though. Yes, that can be done at home, but most of it happens on the golf course as I have learned to fix a hitch in my giddyup while playing.

The question remains, what are you hoping to accomplish? If you want the face square at impact as a result of improved swing mechanics and more dependable dispersion, you're going to need an instructor, especially If you want to reach a low index and play in amateur events. If not, there's your answer.

I am self-taught by using three books. Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, Nick Faldo's and Jack Nicklaus book. Single digit inside of five years and some years later reached a 2. But after about a year I took beginners series of five lessons to ensure mechanics were sound. Rest is history. I wish you luck.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Nard_S said:

> Back swing shallower than down swing, getting too laid off w/ arm over run and false "depth". Nowhere to go but OTT. More vertical lift in arms to torso w/help of better forearm rotations are needed. See Arm/Swing Illusion thread.

> A sense of retention and regaining & increasing body angles is needed (see Tommy Fleetwood or Rory) but the trigger for all that has to change too. Your arm/hand dominant and need to go shoulder/torso dominant and get right shoulder play a more prominent role, then you can unload all your arm speed at right point and get body more open at impact. The outcome of "turning the corner swinging more left" is telling that things are going in right direction.

>

> We're talking lots of reps and eating the elephant one bite at a time, but I was worse in every way. Monte or Dan would do you great, wish I went to them would have saved me a lot of wasted effort.

Again So sorry as I think I am jumping too far ahead.... But if you can disect this "one bite of the elephant at a time"

As @copperjeff stated is initiate the back swing with more vertical wrist set in the back swing. OK "check" will do.

back swing shallower than down swing, so if I also got more vertical in my take away?

"Arm over run" Sorry you guys typed this like 5 times and I still dont quite understand that, what does this mean?

"Better forearm rotation"? When in the back swing, or the down swing? (checking the arm swing illusion thread)

Yups surely understand the body angles. Just by body rejects input LOL.

The right should to me seems like another key. because it doesnt go down it goes shallow to me seems like a major body movement that is stuck?

If you dont mind throwing out thoughts =)

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > Back swing shallower than down swing, getting too laid off w/ arm over run and false "depth". Nowhere to go but OTT. More vertical lift in arms to torso w/help of better forearm rotations are needed. See Arm/Swing Illusion thread.

> > A sense of retention and regaining & increasing body angles is needed (see Tommy Fleetwood or Rory) but the trigger for all that has to change too. Your arm/hand dominant and need to go shoulder/torso dominant and get right shoulder play a more prominent role, then you can unload all your arm speed at right point and get body more open at impact. The outcome of "turning the corner swinging more left" is telling that things are going in right direction.

> >

> > We're talking lots of reps and eating the elephant one bite at a time, but I was worse in every way. Monte or Dan would do you great, wish I went to them would have saved me a lot of wasted effort.

>

> Again So sorry as I think I am jumping too far ahead.... But if you can disect this "one bite of the elephant at a time"

> As @copperjeff stated is initiate the back swing with more vertical wrist set in the back swing. OK "check" will do.

>

> back swing shallower than down swing, so if I also got more vertical in my take away?

> "Arm over run" Sorry you guys typed this like 5 times and I still dont quite understand that, what does this mean?

>

> "Better forearm rotation"? When in the back swing, or the down swing? (checking the arm swing illusion thread)

>

> Yups surely understand the body angles. Just by body rejects input LOL.

> The right should to me seems like another key. because it doesnt go down it goes shallow to me seems like a major body movement that is stuck?

>

> If you dont mind throwing out thoughts =)

Arm overrun means your arms continue in the backswing after shoulders have stopped turning.

Forearm rotation, again backswing, where you have too much, and the club becomes too horizontal.

While everyone reacts to making changes a little differently, getting the club more vertical in the backswing takes care of the arm rotation, and will make it easier to eliminate arm overrun (or basically cure it depending). You may also get a slightly steeper shoulder turn in the backswing as a result.

Doing this would then allow your downswing to be shallower than backswing. BUT, again, everyone reacts to changes differently. Work on the backswing, one thing at a time, slow motion with video or mirror to know you are getting it correct.

Getting backswing correct MIGHT fix other flaws, might not, or could fix some things but not others. We have to see how you process those changes before moving forward.

Golfing Ginger

> @copperjeff said:

> Arm overrun means your arms continue in the backswing after shoulders have stopped turning.

>

> Forearm rotation, again backswing, where you have too much, and the club becomes too horizontal.

>

> While everyone reacts to making changes a little differently, getting the club more vertical in the backswing takes care of the arm rotation, and will make it easier to eliminate arm overrun (or basically cure it depending). You may also get a slightly steeper shoulder turn in the backswing as a result.

>

> Doing this would then allow your downswing to be shallower than backswing. BUT, again, everyone reacts to changes differently. Work on the backswing, one thing at a time, slow motion with video or mirror to know you are getting it correct.

>

> Getting backswing correct MIGHT fix other flaws, might not, or could fix some things but not others. We have to see how you process those changes before moving forward.

Sorry I know it seemed like I was jumping ahead, but what I was trying to edify is, EXACTLY what was happening. So I can catch myself if I am straying or reverting.

When i was taking the club back vertical, and having a more vertical wrist set, I could not get my hands past my shoulder turn. It was like it was stuck and stopped there on its own. I dont know "why" its consciously doing it. it just stopped. SO that clarified the "Arm Over run" and the reason. More so before it was just shorten the swing to shorten the arm over run (well not that easy right, If I was as flat and still trying to shorten the swing, I can still over run because the rotation was flatter, (I think Nard say false sense of depth?)

Second with the shaft plane more VERTICAL. my body usually has to do the opposite right? With the shaft shallow on the take away, the down swing can only go more vertical and over the top? BUT now the Shaft so Far vertical and stuck, the body/shoulders has to rotate leaving the club in placing shallow-ing the shaft? I just wanted to understand this basic sequence so I can CATCH myself if I fall back in to the shallow to steep, rather than the steep to shallow. Correct?

NOW hear is the kicker. Again sorry getting ahead... but the sequence is playing in my head. With the more vertical takeaway and wrist set. the FACE is MORE closed then open. This is essentially I would keep the face more close through the swing sequence? OR do I need to stop and dont "pass go" do not collect $200????

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @copperjeff said:

>

> > Arm overrun means your arms continue in the backswing after shoulders have stopped turning.

> >

> > Forearm rotation, again backswing, where you have too much, and the club becomes too horizontal.

> >

> > While everyone reacts to making changes a little differently, getting the club more vertical in the backswing takes care of the arm rotation, and will make it easier to eliminate arm overrun (or basically cure it depending). You may also get a slightly steeper shoulder turn in the backswing as a result.

> >

> > Doing this would then allow your downswing to be shallower than backswing. BUT, again, everyone reacts to changes differently. Work on the backswing, one thing at a time, slow motion with video or mirror to know you are getting it correct.

> >

> > Getting backswing correct MIGHT fix other flaws, might not, or could fix some things but not others. We have to see how you process those changes before moving forward.

>

> Sorry I know it seemed like I was jumping ahead, but what I was trying to edify is, EXACTLY what was happening. So I can catch myself if I am straying or reverting.

>

> When i was taking the club back vertical, and having a more vertical wrist set, I could not get my hands past my shoulder turn. It was like it was stuck and stopped there on its own. I dont know "why" its consciously doing it. it just stopped. SO that clarified the "Arm Over run" and the reason. More so before it was just shorten the swing to shorten the arm over run (well not that easy right, If I was as flat and still trying to shorten the swing, I can still over run because the rotation was flatter, (I think Nard say false sense of depth?)

>

> Second with the shaft plane more VERTICAL. my body usually has to do the opposite right? With the shaft shallow on the take away, the down swing can only go more vertical and over the top? BUT now the Shaft so Far vertical and stuck, the body/shoulders has to rotate leaving the club in placing shallow-ing the shaft? I just wanted to understand this basic sequence so I can CATCH myself if I fall back in to the shallow to steep, rather than the steep to shallow. Correct?

>

> NOW hear is the kicker. Again sorry getting ahead... but the sequence is playing in my head. With the more vertical takeaway and wrist set. the FACE is MORE closed then open. This is essentially I would keep the face more close through the swing sequence? OR do I need to stop and dont "pass go" do not collect $200????

>

>

>

Your question about arm overrun was a good one.

Now, in your second paragraph you mention shaft vertical and stuck - not sure what you mean by stuck, please clarify.....

Other than that, in a vacuum; yes body rotation alone would shallow the shaft. However, we aren't dealing with a vacuum, we are dealing with you, your athletic ability, and your conceptualization of the swing.

Last paragraph... the face could end up more closed or not.... again, depends on your wrist conditions (extension/flexion) and grip.

There are just a ton of variables. There are even things that you wouldn't think could get affected that do with some people, when a change is made.

Making this change is allowing you to be more consistently successful in arriving at a better impact.

Remember, golf isn't about how good your good shots are. It's really about how good your bad shots are. So the idea behind a swing change is to give you more good shots consistently while also getting the bad shots to have better results.

Golfing Ginger

> @copperjeff said:

> Your question about arm overrun was a good one.

>

> Now, in your second paragraph you mention shaft vertical and stuck - not sure what you mean by stuck, please clarify.....

>

> Other than that, in a vacuum; yes body rotation alone would shallow the shaft. However, we aren't dealing with a vacuum, we are dealing with you, your athletic ability, and your conceptualization of the swing.

>

> Last paragraph... the face could end up more closed or not.... again, depends on your wrist conditions (extension/flexion) and grip.

>

> There are just a ton of variables. There are even things that you wouldn't think could get affected that do with some people, when a change is made.

>

> Making this change is allowing you to be more consistently successful in arriving at a better impact.

>

> Remember, golf isn't about how good your good shots are. It's really about how good your bad shots are. So the idea behind a swing change is to give you more good shots consistently while also getting the bad shots to have better results.

>

Here is what I noticed. if I laid the shaft down on the take away, the natural weight because its behind me wants to keep moving behind me. with my hands more vertical its almost like my hands are balancing the head weight so instead of wanting to continue behind me. ONLY the shoulder rotate rather than the hands. ITS like holding a dinner plate in my right hand, IF I tipped it behind, my arms would follow. BUT since I am holding i straight up, the only balance I have is the shoulder rotation the arms dont "want" to go further. This seemed like a positive byproduct?

as for the Face open or closed.... the shaft is vertical right, so when everything begins to fire. the toe is already pointing straight up and down relative to the ball/neutral path.

Compared to when the shaft was coming from a laid off position where the toe was open, per my still photos. Its "more of an illusion" per se, but this alone is getting the face closed, so I can maintain the proper spine angles to actually hit the ball without shanking, or blocking it into the other golfers stall. LOL.

totally get the variables......painfully that is.... just wanting to make sure I understand what I was DOING to get into BAD positions so I dont revert backwards.....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @copperjeff said:

>

> > Your question about arm overrun was a good one.

> >

> > Now, in your second paragraph you mention shaft vertical and stuck - not sure what you mean by stuck, please clarify.....

> >

> > Other than that, in a vacuum; yes body rotation alone would shallow the shaft. However, we aren't dealing with a vacuum, we are dealing with you, your athletic ability, and your conceptualization of the swing.

> >

> > Last paragraph... the face could end up more closed or not.... again, depends on your wrist conditions (extension/flexion) and grip.

> >

> > There are just a ton of variables. There are even things that you wouldn't think could get affected that do with some people, when a change is made.

> >

> > Making this change is allowing you to be more consistently successful in arriving at a better impact.

> >

> > Remember, golf isn't about how good your good shots are. It's really about how good your bad shots are. So the idea behind a swing change is to give you more good shots consistently while also getting the bad shots to have better results.

> >

> Here is what I noticed. if I laid the shaft down on the take away, the natural weight because its behind me wants to keep moving behind me. with my hands more vertical its almost like my hands are balancing the head weight so instead of wanting to continue behind me. ONLY the shoulder rotate rather than the hands. ITS like holding a dinner plate in my right hand, IF I tipped it behind, my arms would follow. BUT since I am holding i straight up, the only balance I have is the shoulder rotation the arms dont "want" to go further. This seemed like a positive by product?

>

> as for the Face open or closed.... the shaft is vertical right, so when everything begins to fire. the toe is already pointing straight up and down relative to the ball/neutral path.

> Compared to when the shaft was coming from a laid off position where the toe was open, per my still photos. Its "more of an illusion" per se, but this alone is getting the face closed, so I can maintain the proper spine angles to actually hit the ball without shanking, or blocking into the other golfers stall. LOL.

> totally get the variables......painfully that is.... just wanting to make sure I understand what I was DOING to get into BAD positions so I dont revert backwards.....

>

>

Sounds good.

Just to clarify, shaft doesn't have to be all the way to vertical, pointing somewhere just inside target line when your left arm is at parallel is a good checkpoint.

Golfing Ginger

> @copperjeff said:

> > @Exactice808 said:

> > > @copperjeff said:

> >

> > > Your question about arm overrun was a good one.

> > >

> > > Now, in your second paragraph you mention shaft vertical and stuck - not sure what you mean by stuck, please clarify.....

> > >

> > > Other than that, in a vacuum; yes body rotation alone would shallow the shaft. However, we aren't dealing with a vacuum, we are dealing with you, your athletic ability, and your conceptualization of the swing.

> > >

> > > Last paragraph... the face could end up more closed or not.... again, depends on your wrist conditions (extension/flexion) and grip.

> > >

> > > There are just a ton of variables. There are even things that you wouldn't think could get affected that do with some people, when a change is made.

> > >

> > > Making this change is allowing you to be more consistently successful in arriving at a better impact.

> > >

> > > Remember, golf isn't about how good your good shots are. It's really about how good your bad shots are. So the idea behind a swing change is to give you more good shots consistently while also getting the bad shots to have better results.

> > >

> > Here is what I noticed. if I laid the shaft down on the take away, the natural weight because its behind me wants to keep moving behind me. with my hands more vertical its almost like my hands are balancing the head weight so instead of wanting to continue behind me. ONLY the shoulder rotate rather than the hands. ITS like holding a dinner plate in my right hand, IF I tipped it behind, my arms would follow. BUT since I am holding i straight up, the only balance I have is the shoulder rotation the arms dont "want" to go further. This seemed like a positive by product?

> >

> > as for the Face open or closed.... the shaft is vertical right, so when everything begins to fire. the toe is already pointing straight up and down relative to the ball/neutral path.

> > Compared to when the shaft was coming from a laid off position where the toe was open, per my still photos. Its "more of an illusion" per se, but this alone is getting the face closed, so I can maintain the proper spine angles to actually hit the ball without shanking, or blocking into the other golfers stall. LOL.

> > totally get the variables......painfully that is.... just wanting to make sure I understand what I was DOING to get into BAD positions so I dont revert backwards.....

> >

> >

>

> Sounds good.

>

> Just to clarify, shaft doesn't have to be all the way to vertical, pointing somewhere just inside target line when your left arm is at parallel is a good checkpoint.

I wanted to some what over exaggerate so the "body understood" It gets lazy and can revert back real fast..so need to be firm and strict! LOL just like with my kids !!AHAH

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"