• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have an hour fitting for wedges.. 10 minutes should be used to hit full and 3/4 shots to see if you like how various grinds get through the turf. 50 min. should be used for hitting all sorts of shots around the green. I did a Titleist wedge fitting and it was useless, it was all full and partial swings on a range, no greenside work, and at the end of it he said I could use whatever grinds I wanted...

Fortunately I know exactly what I want and need now and can order and adjust accordingly, but finding some cheap used wedges with the shafts and the grinds you want to try and playing around with them over time is probably the best way.

> @Hubijerk said:

> ... I did a Titleist wedge fitting and it was useless, it was all full and partial swings on a range, no greenside work, and at the end of it he said I could use whatever grinds I wanted...

I feel bad that you had such a disappointment. I got a wedge fitting two years ago on a Titleist Thursday afternoon, and it was great. Started out getting baseline data from my existing PW and SW, and then we got comparison data - full and half shots - with the Vokey wedges.

After that, he gave me two SW grinds and told me to try them greenside and out of the bunker. Did the same thing with the LW. Best solution for me was 50* and 56* in F grind, and undecided in 60* (maybe K grind). I ended up getting Callaways instead, but the Vokey experience was top-notch.

As for outdoor vs. indoor, a pro who fits for Edel wedges says that indoor wedge fittings are basically a waste of time. You need action into the dirt to really tell what a wedge will do.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @Hubijerk said:

> > ... I did a Titleist wedge fitting and it was useless, it was all full and partial swings on a range, no greenside work, and at the end of it he said I could use whatever grinds I wanted...

>

> I feel bad that you had such a disappointment. I got a wedge fitting two years ago on a Titleist Thursday afternoon, and it was great. Started out getting baseline data from my existing PW and SW, and then we got comparison data - full and half shots - with the Vokey wedges.

>

> After that, he gave me two SW grinds and told me to try them greenside and out of the bunker. Did the same thing with the LW. Best solution for me was 50* and 56* in F grind, and undecided in 60* (maybe K grind). I ended up getting Callaways instead, but the Vokey experience was top-notch.

>

> As for outdoor vs. indoor, a pro who fits for Edel wedges says that indoor wedge fittings are basically a waste of time. You need action into the dirt to really tell what a wedge will do.

>

>

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @Hubijerk said:

> > ... I did a Titleist wedge fitting and it was useless, it was all full and partial swings on a range, no greenside work, and at the end of it he said I could use whatever grinds I wanted...

>

> I feel bad that you had such a disappointment. I got a wedge fitting two years ago on a Titleist Thursday afternoon, and it was great. Started out getting baseline data from my existing PW and SW, and then we got comparison data - full and half shots - with the Vokey wedges.

>

> After that, he gave me two SW grinds and told me to try them greenside and out of the bunker. Did the same thing with the LW. Best solution for me was 50* and 56* in F grind, and undecided in 60* (maybe K grind). I ended up getting Callaways instead, but the Vokey experience was top-notch.

>

> As for outdoor vs. indoor, a pro who fits for Edel wedges says that indoor wedge fittings are basically a waste of time. You need action into the dirt to really tell what a wedge will do.

>

>

Outside of a select few, I've come to expect disappointment with most people who make their living off of golf. Sales, service, fittings, lessons, etc.