Honma TW-X Irons

I thought so, they were ‘whippy’ and felt ‘mushy’ when going after one, if that makes sense. In hindsight, I should’ve reshafted them with steel but sold them for a bit over what I paid for them.

if you’re going for a senior flex, I think they’d work out at R flex.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got a set and I think they’re great clubs. Haven’t hit them in a launch monitor but on the range was hitting 7 iron 160-170 in a very light tail wind (usual is 150). The feel to me is a tad c

can barely see back at address

Yes, exactly the same just with graphite shafts.     

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, RodrigoNicely said:

Anyone still playing these? Really have my curiosity 

I was fitted for these. I played Mizunos for 6 years and needed something lower spin. It was between these and the P790s. These felt better and looked better at address. Agree with the comments about the soles being much wider than normal, but at address you cannot tell so who cares. Hopefully they'll be in the bag for awhile.  Modus TX shafts.

Ping 410 LST. Diamana ZF (X)
Callaway Epic Flash Sub zero 3W. Diamana ZF (X)
Mizuno 3i Fli-Hi. KBS Graphite (X)
Honma 4-PW TW-X. Modus 120 (X)
Evnroll
Vokey SM7s. Modus 120 (X)
ProV1

Combo’d the 4 through 7 irons for my last casual round & was amazed how high these fly. If you’re the golfer who likes to flight down, these aren’t for you. Mine have the Vizard TW747 85 stiff graphites in them. Very forgiving but not much feedback.

G400 LST 10*, Tensei CK White 60S

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19*, MMT 80S

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW, SteelFiber 95S

RTX4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid, TI S400; HiToe 64*, HiRev 2.0
SC Red X2

Tour B XS (normal cond.) / LD V1x (windy cond.)

- Testing: 0811X+ Proto; Orig One 11.5*; SuperHybrid 17*; 0311XF #3; 2021 TP5x, CS X Triple Track.

- Backups: EFSZ 9* & 15*; TS2 15*; ‘16 M1 3HL; F7 2-3H; 0211; TW-X; IC-601; 716 T-MB; Lucky 777CS; WHP 7CS & CSM 400g; Sigma G Kinloch C.

On 11/2/2020 at 8:48 AM, RodrigoNicely said:

Anyone still playing these? Really have my curiosity 

I bought the 4-10 with modus 105s...4 rounds later I'm glad I did...never played a 'game improvement' type iron before but these look right and perform above my expectations.  Soles are wide but not too much bounce, take nice little divots.  I'm a 69 year old golf pro and will always have a set of muscle backs ready to go but I'm enjoying this new tech...and they really look good 🙂 

• Like 4
13 hours ago, hardpan1 said:

I bought the 4-10 with modus 105s...4 rounds later I'm glad I did...never played a 'game improvement' type iron before but these look right and perform above my expectations.  Soles are wide but not too much bounce, take nice little divots.  I'm a 69 year old golf pro and will always have a set of muscle backs ready to go but I'm enjoying this new tech...and they really look good 🙂 

Thanks for your feedback.  I also just got my set 5-11 with modus 105r, one round so far and I really like their compact look and added forgiveness.  The sole is wide but it has like a beveled edge for better contact.  I have been playing compact forged CBs for the last 10 plus years and like you, I will always keep those but am very optimistic about these Honma TW-X irons.  Their newer model TR21 X seems bigger.  I like the simple yet modern looks of the TW-X.

• Like 2

Honma TW 747 455 10.5* Driver

Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 17* 4 Wood

Honma TR 21 Hybrid 21*

Honma TW-X 5-10 Irons

Miura Tour Milled 52/10 and 58/10 Wedges

Slighter Seattle Putter

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on these. Hit them in a store the other day. Felt real good. They still have them listed at $1200! Pretty good set for $600ish online...

• Like 1

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
TaylorMade SIM Max 5 wood 18*

Titleist TS2 21* hybrid
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Callaway X-14 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M

Vokey 60M
TaylorMade Ardmore 1

On 11/23/2020 at 7:48 PM, gdb99 said:

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on these. Hit them in a store the other day. Felt real good. They still have them listed at $1200! Pretty good set for $600ish online...

Was thinking the same thing 99.  Just hit the buy it now  for a mint 5-11 with 110 steelfibers for $599.99. Looks like only the 7 iron has hit a ball. The TXG boys were fairly impressed, hopefully I am as well...

• Like 2
16 hours ago, flushem said:

Sorry to hear so.  That is big bummer. 

Thx flush, I am not impressed. Could snag another set from the Bay with the standard graphite shafts, then replace the shafts with  some Steelfibers I have on standby. Kind of a pain in the butt.   Especially when iv'e never hit or seen these in person. Price with the SF's was fair enough to be able to sell them if I didn't get along with them. Not sure I want to monkey around switching shafts in and out.  Life of a club junkie I suppose....

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll throw in a review for these irons. Prices dropped so much so I picked up a lightly used set of TW-X on the cheap with NS Pro Modus 105 stiff. I’m only one range session in, but I’m very impressed. I compared them to some Taylor Made PSI irons that were in the bag. 

Looks: from address they look quite nice. Length is compact and it looks good from address down thru mid irons. Longer irons you can see a bit of the fatter flange. The sole width is definitely a bit wider, but you can’t really tell from address. 

Ball Flight/Distance: I haven’t hit a lot of modern irons recently so I can’t compare to too many irons, but I got a nice high ball flight. Workable, but generally wants to fly straight. The irons seem long. I picked up at least 4 mph of ball speed vs TM PSI irons. So that seems to be at least 6-8 yards longer in cold weather. This doesn’t adjust for length or loft. My guess is these irons are long but certainly not among the longest modern irons out there. The PSIs fly lower and shorter. 

Forgiveness: these are a players distance iron not so dissimilar to TM 790 with shorter blade length. I would say these are probably best for mid single digit to mid handicappers. Better players will find the soles bulky. They are more forgiving than PSIs and longer. I’ve never really loved the PSIs. The TW-X feel great when you strike them center and not thin. Feel relatively soft and powerful. 

Based on my very limited experience with them so far, these Honma TW-X seem like a nice bargain and good set of players distance clubs. You certainly don’t need to be a player to use them. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Reviving this old thread.

I've been playing Apex/Apex Pro CF19's for 18 months.  Did a PXG 0211/Elevate Tour experiment in Dec, but ended up sending them back - they were a solid 5-8 yards shorter than the Apex set.  I've been increasing struggling with my long irons - not making solid contact and getting them really airborne.  I think my swing speed has been dropping.  My working theory on the PXGs is either they aren't that good or the Elevate Tour was a bad match.

Bought a set of these on a whim and they will arrive in a few days.  They are coming with Project X LZ 95's in stiff, so lighter than the C Taper Lites in the Apex and lighter than the Elevates.  I'm hoping the long iron performance is good.  If the wide soles of the short irons bothers me, I'll maybe buy a set of 747v's to create a combo set.

I'll post here after I hit the TW-X.

Honma TR20 Driver

Cobra F8 3w/5w
Callaway Rogue hyb 21

Honma TW-X 5-11 
Callaway MD5 54/58
Odyssey O-works #7s

8 hours ago, hanfrac said:

Reviving this old thread.

I've been playing Apex/Apex Pro CF19's for 18 months.  Did a PXG 0211/Elevate Tour experiment in Dec, but ended up sending them back - they were a solid 5-8 yards shorter than the Apex set.  I've been increasing struggling with my long irons - not making solid contact and getting them really airborne.  I think my swing speed has been dropping.  My working theory on the PXGs is either they aren't that good or the Elevate Tour was a bad match.

Bought a set of these on a whim and they will arrive in a few days.  They are coming with Project X LZ 95's in stiff, so lighter than the C Taper Lites in the Apex and lighter than the Elevates.  I'm hoping the long iron performance is good.  If the wide soles of the short irons bothers me, I'll maybe buy a set of 747v's to create a combo set.

I'll post here after I hit the TW-X.

I like mine a good amount. Pretty high ball flight. Relatively forgiving. They don’t love to be hit thin. Doesn’t feel great in cold rather to be hit thin. Good ball speeds. 

7 hours ago, lopey986 said:

How is the offset in these? I've seen a few reviews that say they have quite a bit of offset...but if i'm reading their website correctly that doesn't seem to be the case?

4 iron, 21*, 3.6 offset (3.6mm? .141 inch?).

Compared to PXG 0311P

4 iron, 21.5*, .220 inch

I played both 0311P gen2 and the Honma. Tw X are a bit smaller heel to toe, with a wider sole. Offset was around the same, at least to my eye.

• Thanks 1

Just took delivery on a set of these yesterday. 4-10 with the vizard ib85 shafts in stiff. 1st range session was definitely positive. While I've been a steel player all my life, advancing age (58) and sore joints and hands finally convinced me to try graphite. I played s300s for most of my life before moving to Nippons the last few years for the aforementioned reasons. Most graphite shafts I've tried, especially in sub 100 gram weights haven't worked. I always seemed to be able to overpower them a few times a round and pay the price with a 20 yard hook. That was not the case today. The only shots I hit left were dead pulls. All other shots went dead straight or had just a hint of a fade. I'm coming off Srixon 565s with Modus 105 which FWIW have identical lofts to the 747x. Distance was comparable to the Srixons and perhaps a hair longer although I'll reserve judgement there since I hit them in 50 degree weather today. My typical iron miss is towards the toe and while I was reticent about the 747x due to a shorter heel-toe length, those fears were quickly forgotten. My misses were less toeward than with my Srixons and distance loss was noticeably less. My toe misses only seemed to fly a yard or two less. Feedback is good in that flushed shots feel as good as any forged club I've played, while misses bring in the "click" associated with most hollow bodied irons. I could immediately feel where I missed, but was not penalized nearly as much as with the Srixons. The Vizard ib85s have a almost Nippon like feel to me, I didn't get any "jumpers" and experienced none of the problems I've encountered in light weight graphite before. These are gonna be in the bag awhile, and feel free to laugh with derision at my iron covers cuz I'm gonna try and keep em pretty.

Screenshot_20210203-185756_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Hairpie
  • Like 1

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

I also just received my TW X's (with Project X LZ 95's 5.5).  And like Hairpie, I've been a heavier stiff shaft guy, but at 57, there's no denying a loss in clubhead speed and distance, as well as late-round fatigue.  

Just got back from the range, comparing to my Apex/Apex Pro CF19 with C-Taper Lite Stiffs.  Distance was fairly comparable.  With my cheapie PRGR monitor, maybe the Honma's were 1-2 yards longer.  The Honma's flew slightly higher to my eye.

Feel was different.  First, the clubs are significantly lighter than the Apex and felt easier to swing.  The Apex have a heavy, dense feel at impact - solid.  The Honma's felt sweet, but lighter and maybe springier.  It was nice, but less "substantial."  Probably the hollow body effect.  I did not notice them being clicky.

Hard to tell on dispersion, esp since the Honmas are standard lie (or so I was told) and I typically play 2-3 deg upright.  I didn't notice balls going left on me at all.

I was hitting off mats, so I didn't notice any issues with the wider soles.

Mishits got decent results and didn't feel as horrible as mishits can.  

I'm optimistic.  My big question is whether the light weight will work for me or whether it will introduce wildness.

• Like 1

Honma TR20 Driver

Cobra F8 3w/5w
Callaway Rogue hyb 21

Honma TW-X 5-11 
Callaway MD5 54/58
Odyssey O-works #7s

3 minutes ago, flushem said:

hmmmm you guys are convincing me to transfer from 747V to X with graphite shafts.  

They're cheap enough to take a flier on.  I debated buying the 747v's as well.  But the TW x with the project X LZ 95's caught my eye.  I may try 747v's as well.

Honma TR20 Driver

Cobra F8 3w/5w
Callaway Rogue hyb 21

Honma TW-X 5-11 
Callaway MD5 54/58
Odyssey O-works #7s

I brought a set when they were going cheap along with the TW747 460 driver. I play 4 times a year at this rate due to work and young kids, but still have a golf club ho problem from my younger days. Took them out for the first time and I was super impressed with both the driver and irons. Irons have stiff graphite stock Vizard shafts as I wanted more height and feel in the head. Incredible feel, and still worked on mishits (and there were plenty). Shot a nice 75 with 3 3 putts. 10 yard draws with the irons all day. Selling my AP1s to keep these around. Hopefully not a honeymoon period.

4 hours ago, hanfrac said:

They're cheap enough to take a flier on.  I debated buying the 747v's as well.  But the TW x with the project X LZ 95's caught my eye.  I may try 747v's as well.

I considered the v's as well but all my research pushed me toward the x. Seemed like the x was the more forgiving model, I also liked that the lofts were identical to what I've been playing which is one of the reason's why I didn't consider the p's. Another round at the range today was all positive and hoping to hit the course Sunday for some real world testing.

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

On 2/4/2021 at 10:25 PM, Hairpie said:

I considered the v's as well but all my research pushed me toward the x. Seemed like the x was the more forgiving model, I also liked that the lofts were identical to what I've been playing which is one of the reason's why I didn't consider the p's. Another round at the range today was all positive and hoping to hit the course Sunday for some real world testing.

747Vs are like Srixon 765. thin top lines and soles.  great feel & performing irons, but not much forgiving. 

Played with the TW-X's twice this weekend.  One bad round (swing was off), one good one.  My observations:

- they sit nice behind the ball, not big at all.  I don't notice much offset, certainly not enough to bother me

- vs. PXG 0211/Elevate Tour Stiff, I'm finding the Honma's 8-15 yards longer and easier to hit

- vs. Apex/Apex Pro 19 combos/C-Taper Lite Stiff, the Honma's seem to have comparable best distance, but I make good contact more often.  And I'm more confident with the 5-6 irons than I am with the Apex

- the lighter Project X LZ 95 stiff shaft seems to agree with me, as they feel easier to swing

- haven't found the wide soles to be a negative so far

I'm looking forward to more rounds and hope I can resist the urge to mess around with other irons for at least a little while.

I was looking on eBay at similar Honma wedges, but suspect that's the OCD kicking in.  Having a 54 and 58 that blends with the beautiful TW-X's might be fun.  The MD5 Jaws wedges I bought new 3 months ago perform great and it seems a waste of money and effort to try to get matchy-matchy.

Honma TR20 Driver

Cobra F8 3w/5w
Callaway Rogue hyb 21

Honma TW-X 5-11 
Callaway MD5 54/58
Odyssey O-works #7s