2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Honma TW-X Irons

jbhawx

My irons were delivered after FedEx officially declared them lost! They were a day late and the box was ripped open but thankfully all the irons were there and undamaged 🙂

After 2 range sessions and a quick 9, I can say they are as advertised! They are compact heal to toe, forgiving on toe hits (which is what I was looking for), and sound and feel great. Thin shots were not as forgiving and noticed a decent loss of distance. Thankfully thin shots is not a frequent miss for me. I will need to get the lies adjusted and likely change the Honma grips. I plan to play a couple more rounds and another range session before I make any changes just to get a better feel of the set before making any adjustments.

• Like 3

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

34 minutes ago, pdxhak said:

My irons were delivered after FedEx officially declared them lost! They were a day late and the box was ripped open but thankfully all the irons were there and undamaged 🙂

After 2 range sessions and a quick 9, I can say they are as advertised! They are compact heal to toe, forgiving on toe hits (which is what I was looking for), and sound and feel great. Thin shots were not as forgiving and noticed a decent loss of distance. Thankfully thin shots is not a frequent miss for me. I will need to get the lies adjusted and likely change the Honma grips. I plan to play a couple more rounds and another range session before I make any changes just to get a better feel of the set before making any adjustments.

So lies can easily be adjusted plus/minus 2 degrees?

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Honma TR21 16* 3 Wood
Honma TR21 Hybrid 19* and 23*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

Yes, lies can easily be adjusted +/-2 degrees. The metal is really soft and if your clubmaker isn't careful they can leave marks on the hosel. Had mine bent 1 deg flat and may need another 1 deg.

I also emailed Honma weeks ago but unscrewing the weight ports. They said the same thing posted above. I wanted to increase the SW without ugly lead tape. Ended up blowing off the Honma 52 gram grips (really easy with air compressor) and replace with GP NDMC 47 gram grips. This upped the SW closer to D1.5

Edited by GPF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@GPF good to hear that everything got to you and that you are liking the irons! If you don't want the Honma grips I'd take them, wouldn't mind having extras for the future. 

I am thinking about getting my lie angles checked with these, but they have been just fine with standard L/L/L so far.

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 56*/60*

2019 Toulon San Diego

7 hours ago, m4harrah said:

So Honma customer service was wrong. Bought a 6 iron head on eBay just to mess around with. Weight screws do actually come out and there’s access to the hollow head. There was already some hot melt inside the head but I’ll be adding more.

9BE6F5E9-6135-4FEE-80B3-337D0303C1DA.jpeg

Cool. Keep us posted on how it sounds before and after the hotmelt. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Cross posting to this thread, as it may have interest to TW-X people as well...

Update to my Honma status.  I still absolutely love my 747v's, but the gap between my 4i and 5i was way too small.  I originally was fitted into and ordered a P790 4i that gave me 7-10 more carry yards.  After waiting ~8 weeks on backorder, I found a glut of TW-X 4 irons on Ebay with my shaft (modus tour 105s) for half the cost of a new P790, so I took a flyer on it.  Canceled my P790 order and received my TW-X today.  Overall, it's a darn nice looking iron.  Certainly larger than the nearly butter knife 747v, but still pleasant to my eye.  I am anal about small offset and thin top lines, and the visuals don't bother me at all.  I'll report back when I actually hit it!

20210506_200628.jpg

20210506_195854.jpg

20210506_195937.jpg

20210506_200005.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjschafe said:

Cross posting to this thread, as it may have interest to TW-X people as well...

Update to my Honma status.  I still absolutely love my 747v's, but the gap between my 4i and 5i was way too small.  I originally was fitted into and ordered a P790 4i that gave me 7-10 more carry yards.  After waiting ~8 weeks on backorder, I found a glut of TW-X 4 irons on Ebay with my shaft (modus tour 105s) for half the cost of a new P790, so I took a flyer on it.  Canceled my P790 order and received my TW-X today.  Overall, it's a darn nice looking iron.  Certainly larger than the nearly butter knife 747v, but still pleasant to my eye.  I am anal about small offset and thin top lines, and the visuals don't bother me at all.  I'll report back when I actually hit it!

20210506_200628.jpg

20210506_195854.jpg

20210506_195937.jpg

20210506_200005.jpg

In the never-ending quest to solve the 4 iron spot — don’t like hybrids — I just picked up this same club still in plastic for $75, only in the Modus 120. It looks really good, better to me than the driving iron types. Have not taken plastic off yet and will be looking for your review on how it goes. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

This might be a silly question, but has anybody compared these with the XP-1? Sorry if I missed it.

Screenshot_20210508-144159.png

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Glad to see more people enjoying these irons! I am still in love with them, still thinking about buying a second set to hold onto after my current ones get played to death.

@lefthack imo, the XP-1 irons are SGI compared to the TW-X. More offset in the long irons and mid irons, similar in 9/10/11 irons. Slightly stronger lofts, lighter stock shaft. The XP-1 line is MASSIVE compared to the TW747 line, and the TW747 woods and hybrids aren't exactly small or "sub zero" size.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

2019 Toulon San Diego

8 minutes ago, localpar3guy said:

Glad to see more people enjoying these irons! I am still in love with them, still thinking about buying a second set to hold onto after my current ones get played to death.

@lefthack imo, the XP-1 irons are SGI compared to the TW-X. More offset in the long irons and mid irons, similar in 9/10/11 irons. Slightly stronger lofts, lighter stock shaft. The XP-1 line is MASSIVE compared to the TW747 line, and the TW747 woods and hybrids aren't exactly small or "sub zero" size.

Not seeing them in person or in relation to others, I couldn't tell. When I found they were cast that was enough for me. I just thought they had a cool look to them. I think the TW-X will be my Honma club when the time comes. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

1 minute ago, lefthack said:

Not seeing them in person or in relation to others, I couldn't tell. When I found they were cast that was enough for me. I just thought they had a cool look to them. I think the TW-X will be my Honma club when the time comes. 

Yeah I saw the whole lineup and the XP-1 line just looked so massive. The TW-X is very appealing on the eyes at address, enough offset for some forgiveness but it is not an atrocious amount.  I haven't had too many problems with the bigger soles. When you get a chance to snag them I think you'll like them.

I'm a lefty too BTW. I can post some LH pictures if you'd like when I can.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

2019 Toulon San Diego

29 minutes ago, localpar3guy said:

Yeah I saw the whole lineup and the XP-1 line just looked so massive. The TW-X is very appealing on the eyes at address, enough offset for some forgiveness but it is not an atrocious amount.  I haven't had too many problems with the bigger soles. When you get a chance to snag them I think you'll like them.

I'm a lefty too BTW. I can post some LH pictures if you'd like when I can.

Awesome, a shot behind the ball would give perspective. Thanks!

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

It took a couple rounds to get the irons dialed in. The TW X irons are just as I had hoped for. I love the sound and feel and the extra distance due to stronger lofts is nice. Last year I added the TW W4 wedges to the bag and they have been awesome. Having both makes for a great looking bag 🙂

• Like 3

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

47 minutes ago, localpar3guy said:

this is a 7 iron

DA2D401C-D38A-4F24-9E40-AD1FA127D263.jpeg

Oh hey, those look great! A little offset, nice too line. Very nice, thanks!

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

Oh hey, those look great! A little offset, nice too line. Very nice, thanks!

the offset is generous but i don't think it is an atrocious amount. the top lines are pleasing to the eye but not razor thin, not super thick. i think these are well made irons, feel is great, I still get feedback on misshits. I have gained a good amount of distance, dispersion is solid, accuracy is solid. I feel very confident that I can make the shot I need to when playing. Very impressed with them. Even have the 747 driver and 3 wood in the bag. 

Just wish I could get my hands on some Honma TW-W/W4 wedges...

@pdxhak lol let us live man, us lefties deserve shiny clubs too. I really wish I could try the 747V or other Honma irons.

• Like 3

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

2019 Toulon San Diego

1 hour ago, pdxhak said:

I think your club head is backwards 😉

They look just right to me. These are really high on my list. 

• Like 2

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Played my first round with the Honma TW-X irons today, wow, love em! Was gaming the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pros but these Honma’s feel better on center strikes. 

Distances are similar but the Nippon Modus3 105 shafts and Honma TW-X irons feel so much better than the Mizuno’s with a C-Taper light 105 shafts. 

• Like 3

Been using the TW-X irons with Vizard 85 shafts in stiff for the last few months. All I can say is that I love these irons. They are very forgiving, launch super high, go a mile, and still feel very good. I was worried about switching to the graphite shafts but realised they have steel fibres woven into them and I don’t think I’ll go back to steel shafts again. They’re amazing. I know people have questions about the offset, but they don’t have that much offset in my opinion. Less than expected. The soles are quite wide, but at address you don’t notice them. I’ve not noticed any issues with the soles being wider. I have notice that I cannot work the ball as much left to right or higher and lower, say when I played with my old Mizuno irons. The reason I switched to these Honma irons was to gain distance and forgiveness, so it is a compromise I’ve accepted. If you want to game a great feeling set of irons with great distance and high launching stable ball flight, I would recommend the TW-X irons. Consider their IB85 shafts, for me they’ve been revolutionary. 

Edited by Gazol
  • Like 2

Played a quick 9 this morning. Round started a little slow with approach shots landing either few yards short of the green or on the fringe. I realized I kept pulling 1 club less due to the stronger lofts so I was essentially playing the lofts of my previous set. After making the change and pulling the correct club, I finished with 3 straight pars. I love these irons 🙂

• Like 1

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

• 5 weeks later...

I've got 3 months and 40-50 rounds with these (with Project X LZ 95 shafts).  

First, a comment - I took them to PGA SS to check one club because the distance seemed off.  Compared to what the seller told me, the loft and lie angle was way off.  This led me to have the whole set looked at and lofts/lies were all over the place.  I don't know if they came this way, they got this way or what.  But it may be that they are supersoft and easy to get off-spec.

Second, a question for other players.  With the 5-6 iron, I'm noticing a lot of shots that flight low and hot.  It may be that my technique has gotten crappy and that's the outcome I deserve.  I have been struggling with long irons for the past year.  But with the extra forgiveness vs. my 2019 Apex, I would have expected more height, but I'm not getting that.  Anyone else having trouble getting the long irons to elevate?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond/Mitsubishi Pro White Tensei 1k

Callaway Epic Speed 3w

Honma TR21 5w
Callaway Rogue JDM 21 & 24 hybrids

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-AW

Callaway MD5 52/Full-Toe 58

Odyssey O-works #7s

• 3 weeks later...