2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Honma TW-X Irons

jbhawx

• 1 month later...

Last week I saw them listed on the PGA SS site for $499 for a graphite set.  I couldn't believe how cheap they were and immediately ordered them on a whim.  I received an email the next day stating that my order had been cancelled because they didn't have them in stock and they were no longer listed on their site.  I called a few days later and worked with a very competent customer service rep who found a set in their Scottsdale store and arranged for them to be sent to me.   

Since I had never hit them before I went to my local Golf Mart and tried them out today in anticipation of receiving mine in a few days.  I'm a 16 hc and currently game a set of Mizuno JPX 900 hot metals with 105 shafts.  I couldn't hit the Honma TW-X's very well and will probably either return them new back to PGA SS once received or just ebay them.  I much prefer the JPX 921 hot metals which I'm sure is more due to my skill level than anything.  

On 8/19/2021 at 6:08 PM, gazzer said:

Last week I saw them listed on the PGA SS site for $499 for a graphite set.  I couldn't believe how cheap they were and immediately ordered them on a whim.  I received an email the next day stating that my order had been cancelled because they didn't have them in stock and they were no longer listed on their site.  I called a few days later and worked with a very competent customer service rep who found a set in their Scottsdale store and arranged for them to be sent to me.   

Since I had never hit them before I went to my local Golf Mart and tried them out today in anticipation of receiving mine in a few days.  I'm a 16 hc and currently game a set of Mizuno JPX 900 hot metals with 105 shafts.  I couldn't hit the Honma TW-X's very well and will probably either return them new back to PGA SS once received or just ebay them.  I much prefer the JPX 921 hot metals which I'm sure is more due to my skill level than anything.  

Did you get the 5-11? Regular or stiff? I’m looking for a set. Maybe we can work something out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party here but received a built set of TW-X in MMT Parallel Tip 85g when Honma could not deliver TR-21x club heads after 4.5 months to a club builder..

First impressions - offset not that noticeable (acceptable), compact heel to toe, but why the thick soles? I guess it's built-in bounce. Bought this as a second set/traveling set and just to see if they give more pop than the HMB's.

First outing after 10 days away with TW-X was not satisfying. but that's on me. They feel firm towards the toe - lets you know contact wasn't flush. Might need a slight lie adjustment. Today was better - center contact and good flush feeling of a forged iron. Looks like they have pop. MMT has some feel to it. Will get in on the course and see what happens

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ironlix said:

So are these .370 tip? I can't find the tip size for these online.

There are some posts earlier in this thread that say .355.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

• 2 weeks later...

After more range sessions and Trackman, they are 10 yrds longer in this TW-X/MMT 85 setup over my HMB/Accra CW95 - I think the Accra are keeping the HMBs  short - higher and more spin.

After a few days of adjustment, I'm hitting center and they do have that flushed forged feel. The thick soles bother me but everything else is excellent. The offset is not significant to me and I play HMB's. The TW-X compact length is an adjustment from HMBs but when the 225's comes out, I'll be accustomed to their new shorter blade.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I was looking for a driving/utility iron and picked up a TW-X 3 iron to replace my 3 hybrid.

The thing is a rocket launcher. And still launches high enough to hit it from the fairway.

Great deal at $70 with the Vizzard 85S shaft.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Can anyone please compare these iron to the TR21x and also the HMBs.

For my son. 

forgiveness, playability, larger head vs smaller heard…

Thanks! 🙂

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

Tried them earlier in the year due to super low prices for new and mint sets on Ebay. Here's what I found:

- they look cool

- the soles are unbearable on shorter irons

- because of the hollowness and weight moved back, they lose too much carry on shots struck low on the face

- I also hate the stock Modus 105 shaft; too light and too stiff is a bad combination

- as much as i wanted to like them, had to move on quickly

Edited by JD3

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

• 4 weeks later...

Bump  de Bump de bump a rooo.  

I've wanted to move into a set of hollow construction players-distance irons for six months now. I have very much enjoyed my M5's and the orange Tensei shafts in them have suited me well, but every two years I like to ho a new set of irons. I've tried two sets from this category over the last two months, the TM 790's with Recoils and Ping G700's with stock Alta shafts. Both sets were ditched after two rounds. I just did not like the loud crack sound they made with a flushed strike, and found both sets to be more harsh feeling at impact than my current irons.

I had seen a few of the outstanding reviews these Honma's have received on Youtube.

I then found this thread about a month ago and it got me in the mood to give a set a try. I snagged this fine set( 5-11) with the Vizard shafts in R flex. They came today and I went straight to the range to give them a go. 

About me.........I'm in my late 50's and been in the game 40 years. Not a bunch of power in my swing. My mid iron club head speed is 77 mph. I have a very smooth tempo. 6 index. Iron game is one of my stronger facets. Have been playing graphite shafts in irons since the first G Loomis one's came in Pings way back in time. 

I hit 80 balls.

First impression was wow. There certainly weren't any harsh clacks when the middle of the face was found. Absolutely one of the best looking iron's I have ever seen. These reek of quality. Love the blade length, the amount of offset, and overall shape of the club head. They looked very much identical in size to my M5's. The shafts were also very impressive. I was hoping I found it to be true like was previously stated in a few posts that the Vizard's play just a little softer than the stated flex. The R flex in these fit my tempo well. These shafts are very stable and possess quite a smooth load and release. I liked the club's turf interaction and also found them plenty forgiving. I thought the trajectory I saw was a perfect medium. The set had very tight dispersion. My shots went consistently straight. I could work them and the trajectory was easy to flight. The feeling at impact was excellent. The gray club face really helps to frame the ball. They are marvelous looking at address.  The 5 iron was an absolute blast to hit and even with my slow swing produced fine accurate rocket shots. Today being the first time I hit them on the range I was not concerned with distances. I will figure out how far I hit them when I put them in play for the first time Monday and Tuesday of next week. I will see too then how they hold the greens. 

I shall wrap it up by saying thanks to many of the posters here that raved about this model of Honma's and the performance of their stock graphite shafts. You gents pushed me into snagging a set and giving them a try. I am in agreement with one poster that the shaft graphics are way too busy for such a beautiful club though, and that would be my only initial negative. 

I will give an update after I have played a few rounds with them. I left today's first range session with them mightily impressed. 

5- gap  in awesome condition 

paid $725 from a reputable golf online retailer who had them listed in the their used clubs section.  

Now if they only didn't have mid sized grips on them that will have to be swapped out. 😄

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

1 hour ago, pdxhak said:

Congrats on the new sticks! Looking forward to your course review. I still love mine and have no plans to swap irons anytime soon 🙂

I'd be glad to share my findings after having them in play a few rounds. 

Glad you love yours pdxhak and I believe I got my first taste of your satisfaction today at the range.

I was so anxious to get home, see the tall tan box sitting on the doorstep, ripping it open ,and heading straight to the range after work. 

The shafts are very well engineered and made with quality components you can tell. (no surprise this is Honma)

I know graphite iron shafts as I've previously said because  I've played them in my irons since like 88.  Vizards are pretty awesome iron shafts. They have a lively feel WITH control and a kick point that suits me ..... much like my Tensei's did. For fast tempo players who have a quick transition I don't know. I do know my Collin Montgomery tempo matched the R flex Vizard's rather well and that made me grin large. 

I'm very glad I found this thread as it did make me pull the trigger on my first set of Honma's.

They are seriously some of the most bitchin' ist looking sticks I have ever seen in my 4 decades in the game both in the bag and at address. 

Will indeed report back        😀

Edited by touch

So pure a look. I especially love the toe.

Edited by touch

13 hours ago, touch said:

They are seriously some of the most bitchin' ist looking sticks I have ever seen in my 4 decades in the game both in the bag and at address. 

They are great looking set of sticks. I have had several comments from people on the driving range and the course comment on how great they look 🙂

• Like 1

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Update 

I have 3 rounds completed with my new X's .  Not one bit of range time mind you. Just put them right into play. I do play multiple times a week. I am impressed. I like the amount of offset. I think all the clubs in the set have excellent turf interaction. The feel from a center strike is an A. There is nothing hard or harsh feeling with a solid strike like the other hollow constructed irons I tried. 

I am playing 3 days in row early next week. Let me get a full 6 rounds in with my new Honma's and I will add some more. I have hit a bunch tight already. They are gorgeous to look at and play. I have just started to get some bag chatter on mine so soon they will be real looking ........LOL   

Solid praise from me so far.   

The shafts fit, but I want some solid range time with them to get more familiar. They are 10 grams heavier throughout the set than my previous irons, but I don't find them cumbersome. 

More coming. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
glo·ri·ous
/ˈɡlôrēəs/   adjective
1.   having, worthy of, or bringing fame or admiration.
2having a striking beauty or splendor that evokes feelings of delighted admiration.

I have wanted to make the move into a set of hollow-body design forged player's irons for over a year. I bought and tried three different sets previously. I gave two different generations of TM 790's and one set of Ping G700's a go. I found all three of those sets too harsh feeling at impact. I then found this thread and it convinced me to try a set of Honma's. They are not one bit harsh and to me feel much better than the previous three sets I had experimented with. I got my TW-X's the last week of October and have played over 12 rounds with them as well as numerous practice sessions. Here are what I find to be the stand out features of the Honma TW-X irons. 

Shafts
I have the stock Vizard graphite's in R flex. These shafts are of highest quality and that is really apparent. I read on this thread that they play a wee bit soft to flex, and that was my impression as well. Now this doesn't mean unstable, because the stock shafts are mighty stable. This was welcomed by me as I am truly suited for an iron shaft that plays on the soft side of regular. I am 60 years old (6 index w/40 years in the game) and have a 75 mph 7 iron swing speed. I swing with a very smooth tempo and am very quiet in transition. Think Freddie. The Vizard shafts fit my swing well. 

Distance
I found no distance gains from my previous set TM M5's w/ Tensei Orange shafts, but that was fine by me as the attribute I was most seeking was feel. My yardages were almost exactly the same through the set. Example PW 115, 7 iron 145, 5 iron 165. 

Looks
Absolutely one of the best looking sets of irons in the bag and at address that I have ever played, and I played some sexy looking Hogans back in the 1990's. The irons feature medium sized club heads and I think their size is ideal for the mid handicap. The blade length looks just right to me and I very much prefer a squarish toe shape like these have rather than a rounded toe. The offset amount I think is perfect for the player these clubs were designed for. Just the right amount I'd say. I love the finish on the back of the irons, and the looks are even better on the other side. Simple and pure matte grey on the actual face is surrounded by a brushed finish. The labeling is classy. My only gripe would be the shaft graphics are a little too busy down by the grip, but this is something I can live with. 

Performance
The irons feel fantastic at impact. It is just a soft pure sensation when you hit one in the middle of the club face, and some help is there if you miss the sweet spot. There is nice forgiveness. I especially like the cambered leading edge on the irons. I think this greatly helps with turf interaction. My M5's had this grind and I am glad these Honma's do as well. These irons are nice and hefty feeling like the other sets that I tried weren't. The heads and shafts in the TW-X's are a harmonious combination. I certainly know where the club head is throughout the swing. The trajectory of my iron shots with the set is perfect. I can flight my shots with no problems , and one can work shots in both directions fairly easily with these irons. I have had no issue with the slightly larger soles on the short irons. I have experienced generous green holding spin rates through out the set as well. 

Summary 
These irons perform admirably and they feel just spectacular at impact. The size of the club head and amount of offset is perfect for my game. Turf interaction is excellent and they feel very powerful. I think they are some of the best looking irons currently made. I have already hit plenty of approach shots that have hit the green and stopped close to pins. I am happy I found this thread as it pushed me to give these Honma's a try. The Honma TW-X's really are a glorious set of irons.  

Edited by touch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just built a set of these 5-11 for my wife. She absolutely loves them. First forged iron she's played and she loves the soft feel and the feedback.

These beat out her old cast Nike's (obviously) and the Apex 21s she tested. Did some shaft testing and she settled on the Vista Pro 50 R2.

Can't say enough good things about Honma irons. I'm still not sold on their woods, but their forged irons are superb. So much that I'm thinking of picking up a set of TR20Vs for my own irons as well.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

3 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I'm still not sold on their woods, but their forged irons are superb. So much that I'm thinking of picking up a set of TR20Vs for my own irons as well.

I picked up an XP-1 3 and 5 wood and just love them. The Vizard shaft has a whippy feel to it that's kinda weird, but holy hell do these go. I should have bought a driver but missed the auction. I wound never pay full retail, but best $100 I've spent.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 2 weeks later...

curious if anyone has any experience with these vs the xp-1 ... i am on the fence back and forth between the two but can't find too much out there on the xp-1.  As well a side note if anyone has had any experience with these compared to the ping i210's would love to hear that as well...?

thank you for any input.

10 hours ago, v333 said:

curious if anyone has any experience with these vs the xp-1 ... i am on the fence back and forth between the two but can't find too much out there on the xp-1.  As well a side note if anyone has had any experience with these compared to the ping i210's would love to hear that as well...?

thank you for any input.

the TWX are forged while the XP1 are cast so there will be a different in feel where the TWX are softer. The XP1 are also stronger lofted and meant as more of an chunky improvement iron even more so than the TWX.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m still using mine, I switched them out for the Srixon ZX5’s but ended up bending them 1° flat, which has helped a lot, and went back to them. Got my first hole-in-one with them at Grayhawk in Scottsdale…8 iron 155 yards

Edited by Pacificgem
  • Like 1

Still using the TW-X 4 iron as my 'chunky' 4 iron along with a TR20P set in the other irons and it's a fantastic do-it-all utility iron off the tee and fairways/bunkers. Can't beat it either on ebay for like $60 from proclubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Still using the TW-X 4 iron as my 'chunky' 4 iron along with a TR20P set in the other irons and it's a fantastic do-it-all utility iron off the tee and fairways/bunkers. Can't beat it either on ebay for like $60 from proclubs.

Pro Clubs in Phoenix is selling 3-4-5 set for $162 on eBay. Smokin good deal!!

3 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I have TW-X 5 iron with TR20P (6 - 10).  fantastic combo.  Yes proclubs is da deal at least for TW-X clubs.

On 12/26/2021 at 2:31 AM, v333 said:

thank you for any input.

Hello:

I have owned the i210 (with NSPro 105 R) and currently own the TWX (with Vizard 85 R).  I also owned the Honma with the NSPro 105 R. Incidentally, I sold my Pings to my best friend, and have hit them recently.  

On the web, I believe I have seen the Honma categorized as “player’s distance” irons. I feel they are player’s distance, with added forgiveness.

I liked the Pings, but in direct comparison, I found them much less forgiving, and to have a lower ball flight. They are more of a player’s cavity. 

Both irons are workable. Even though it is hollow, the Honma feels/sounds better to me. This was a pleasant surprise. 

I am not sure what qualities (e.g., mishits around the face, launch, turf interaction, etc.) you would like compared.  Rather than blather on, I'll answer in more detail, if you still need a comparison. 

FYI, recently I have owned iBlade, i200, i500, Mizuno Hot Metal 919, AP2 716, Apex 19, P790, Srixon ZX5 (with a ZX4 4-iron), and many others going back over the years. (Yeah, I'm a typical Wrxer; I just don't post much.)  I am 60, and have played anywhere between a +1 in my 40’s to a -3 handicap today.  I am a natural low-ball hitter. When I was younger, this (coupled with high swing speed and spin) served me well. As my swing speed has decreased with age, I am chasing launch and distance. However, I do NOT want to sacrifice too much spin. 

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 2

@v333 I have not hit or seen the XP-1 but the TW-X are firmly in the bag and would consider them a players distance club that are forgiving. They feel great. Blade length is more compact especially compared to other hollow body irons I have seen. 

Edited by pdxhak
  • Like 2

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

The TW-X are excellent irons. After playing them, I could not go to a longer blade. So the 223 and i59's are coming.

I paired the TW-X with MMT 85 Tapers - good combo for me. Putting them in the 223s.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x