Honma TW-X Irons

jbhawx

The TW-X was my gateway drug to  Mizuno 223 and Ping i59

Darn those dealers...

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps, Wannabe Novelist

• Ping G425 Max 10.5 (at 9)/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45.5 in.
  • Callaway Rogue ST Max 9 (at 10) TPT 19 Hi @44 in. (Driver 2)
  • Callaway Rogue ST Max 3HL/MMT60
  • Ping G425 4H/TPT Golf
  • Mizuno 223 5-PW/Recoil 95
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 
  • Artisan 0321 Putter

• 1 month later...

I just reread this entire thread. 
I have been trying to find a set of irons to replace my 712 AP1’s. 
I have tried ZX4, which I think these look like, and enjoyed hitting them in a sim. 
I think I’m going to buy another set with regular flex graphite this time. Probably a better fit for me than my last set…

Cobra Radspeed
Callaway Mavrik 4 wood

Titleist TS2 7 wood

Cobra DWS hybrid

Irons ????

Ping Glide 2.0 GW
Vokey SM8 54S

Vokey SM8 58M

Odyssey White Hot #2

6 hours ago, gdb99 said:

I have tried ZX4, which I think these look like, and enjoyed hitting them in a sim. 
I think I’m going to buy another set with regular flex graphite this time. Probably a better fit for me than my last set…

Last fall I also read this entire thread and in doing so it convinced me to give a set a try. 

gdb99 , I encourage you to pull the trigger on the Honma's as I believe you too will be as surprised as I was at just how awesome these irons really are. I play 2-3 times a week and bang balls on the range twice a week as well. I use my irons a lot. I just took a few photos to show how my irons are holding up after 6 months of heavy use. I am happy with their durability as well. 

Please do let us know what you think if you end up joining the club. 😉

PXL_20220328_225350541.jpg

PXL_20220328_225311632.jpg

• Like 1

Callaway     Mavrik Max  Mitsubishi C-6 blue

Callaway     Epic Flash 3 fw  Even Flow 

Callaway     Epic Flash 5 fw  Even Flow  
TM               M4 (4) hyb  Atmos 

TM               M4 (5) hyb  Atmos 

Honma        TW-X  6-pw  Vizard 

TM               M5  gap w  50*  TT XP 

Ping            Glide 2.0 - 56, 60 both SS w/ AWT 2.0  

Rife             2 bar     Iomic 65 

I went to the local used store this afternoon. 
I hit the TW-X against a set of Srixon ZX4 and Honma TW737P irons. 
I was actually hitting my old set of TW-X’s that I traded in last year!

I’m going back tomorrow to hit the 2 sets of Honmas again. One of the sets will be going home with me. 

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed
Callaway Mavrik 4 wood

Titleist TS2 7 wood

Cobra DWS hybrid

Irons ????

Ping Glide 2.0 GW
Vokey SM8 54S

Vokey SM8 58M

Odyssey White Hot #2

3 hours ago, LPSISCO said:

I still have mine, but they are currently in the garage. Too many ZX7 threads to not try them 😂

Oh I came real close to grabbing some of those ZX7's to have an affair with. I hear ya. 😄

8 minutes ago, gdb99 said:

I went to the local used store this afternoon. 
I hit the TW-X against a set of Srixon ZX4 and Honma TW737P irons. 
I was actually hitting my old set of TW-X’s that I traded in last year!

I’m going back tomorrow to hit the 2 sets of Honmas again. One of the sets will be going home with me. 

Oooo those are sexy too. I have not hit one. Longer blade length with thinner soles? Same feel? Same two piece construction (body and face)? Obviously not a hollow iron but still the finest in Japanese forgings. 💥

Honma TW737 P irons review: ClubTest 2018

4 minutes ago, touch said:

Oooo those are sexy too. I have not hit one. Longer blade length with thinner soles? Same feel? Same two piece construction (body and face)? Obviously not a hollow iron but still the finest in Japanese forgings. 💥

Honma TW737 P irons review: ClubTest 2018

Yes, a longer blade length. Thinner soles. Same lofts. Not forged, but feel like it. Very soft feeling. 

The set had Steelfiber i80 shafts in them. Never tried that shaft and they felt great. On the sim, the 737’s were going straighter and were very consistent. 
Another go with them tomorrow. 👍🏼

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed
Callaway Mavrik 4 wood

Titleist TS2 7 wood

Cobra DWS hybrid

Irons ????

Ping Glide 2.0 GW
Vokey SM8 54S

Vokey SM8 58M

Odyssey White Hot #2

On 3/28/2022 at 12:23 PM, gdb99 said:

These look nothing like zx4

14 hours ago, gdb99 said:

Hollow irons with big soles. 

To me they do. 

I can see the resemblance but I prefer the shape and topline of the Honma. In fact, a TW-X/MMT 85 combo is my best ever for distance and accuracy over the last 25 yrs. In midst of changing my shafts in other irons to MMT 85.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

• Ping G425 4H/TPT Golf
  • Artisan 0321 Putter

• 2 months later...

I just dropped off a new set of these at the shop, having the Nippon 105s pulled and MMT 95s dropped in.  This will be part of a backup set I'm leaving in Texas at my in-laws' house.  But I'll game these irons for a new rounds this summer for fun.  I've been playing the Honma 747Ps with the Vizard 85s for over a year now; and I love these irons.  Cast or not, the 747Ps check all the boxes for me so it'll be fun to see how the TW-Xs compare. 

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *18, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams DHy Pro *21, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Honma Tw 747P 6-11, Vizard 85S

Vokey SM7 *52.08 F,  UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

12 hours ago, thed0n said:

I just dropped off a new set of these at the shop, having the Nippon 105s pulled and MMT 95s dropped in.  This will be part of a backup set I'm leaving in Texas at my in-laws' house.  But I'll game these irons for a new rounds this summer for fun.  I've been playing the Honma 747Ps with the Vizard 85s for over a year now; and I love these irons.  Cast or not, the 747Ps check all the boxes for me so it'll be fun to see how the TW-Xs compare. 

TW-X is a very unique iron in a good way. Completely forged but multi-piece construction. Hollow body with a wide sole yet also has a short blade length and very small offset. It's all the good parts of a GI iron but none of the bad.

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max TC 9°@9.2 + HD 6 / 🦄 MAVRIK Max TC 14°@15 + GP 7 / Rogue ST MaxTC 18°@19 + VR 8 / P790 21° + LIN-Q / P770 + DG105 / MD5 Forged / Las Vegas H3

The other day I put the TW-X 3i in the bag. Warm weather, breezy and firm fairways made for ideal conditions. I was surprised how easy it was to hit and may stay in the bag until the end of Summer 🙂 The TW-X irons are some of the best Players Distance sticks you can buy and surprised more people have not given them a try.

PXG 0811X Gen4

Honma TR21 3 Wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Honma TW W4 52, 56

PXG BR Bat Attack

10 minutes ago, golfschnell said:

Has anybody hit both these and the Honma Tr21X? I prefer the look of the 21X but wondered how they compare feel and forgiveness wise? Side by side pics would b wonderful if someone has both

The TR21X are a step back IMO. Going to what I said above about the TWX being somewhat of a unicorn iron for some people - the TR21X is a cast club and not 'fully' forged like the TW-X is. Only the C-cup face is forged on the TR21X whereas all the parts are forged on the TW-X.

Rogue ST Max TC 9°@9.2 + HD 6 / 🦄 MAVRIK Max TC 14°@15 + GP 7 / Rogue ST MaxTC 18°@19 + VR 8 / P790 21° + LIN-Q / P770 + DG105 / MD5 Forged / Las Vegas H3

The 747Ps are cast too but combined with the Vizard 85s graphite shaft, I thought the feel was pretty good.  I played Callaway CF16s and Mizuno JPX900 HMs (both with Nippon 105s) before the 747Ps.  I thought the 747P felt softer than the HMs.  The turf interaction was superior on the 747Ps against both the CF16s and HMs, and with less offset and a thinner top-line, the 747Ps were a clear winner in my book.  

I do think I'll be taking a step back on the TW-Xs (vs. the 747Ps) in terms of turf interaction but I hope the upgrade in looks (MMTs are sleek) and feel (forged) makes up for it.  Plus, I'll only be playing the TW-X for a few rounds a year when I'm out in Texas.  It's still far better than renting clubs.

Edited by thed0n

15 minutes ago, thed0n said:

I do think I'll be taking a step back on the TX-Xs (vs. the 747Ps) in terms of turf interaction but I hope the upgrade in looks (MMTs are sleek) and feel (forged) makes up for it.

Curious why you think the TW-X turf interaction would be a step back from the 747P?

PXG 0811X Gen4

Honma TR21 3 Wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Honma TW W4 52, 56

PXG BR Bat Attack

2 hours ago, pdxhak said:

Curious why you think the TW-X turf interaction would be a step back from the 747P?

I generally take divots with my irons when I'm hitting my best, and I can control trajectory pretty well with my irons. I like the sound and feel of ball first contact, ground, and then the turf flying (it's almost like a splash).  It feels like hitting nothing and everything at the same time.  With a wider sole of the TW-X (and HMs), I fear that the divots will be smaller and the "compressive" feeling will be diminished.  The soles on the TW-X just don't look like they want to dig, while the 747Ps seem like they do.  It's probably all in my head though.

Edited by thed0n

I have not played the 747P but I see they have wide soles. The TW-X have a pre worn leading and trailing edge that helps them get through the turf. Hopefully you enjoy the clubs when you get a chance to put them in play.

• Like 1

PXG 0811X Gen4

Honma TR21 3 Wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Honma TW W4 52, 56

PXG BR Bat Attack

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking to build a backup set to stash at the house of a relative who lives far enough south that golf is an option during our winter visits. I grabbed a used set of TW-X irons recently for what I thought was a very reasonable price. The shafts are Modus 105R, and I'll probably replace them with something heavier. 

They were delivered today, and my first impression -- based on their looks, and just doing some chipping here at home with the gap wedge to get a tiny bit of a sense for their feel and sound -- is very positive. 

On 6/28/2022 at 8:11 AM, third-times-a-charm said:

TW-X is a very unique iron in a good way. Completely forged but multi-piece construction. Hollow body with a wide sole yet also has a short blade length and very small offset. It's all the good parts of a GI iron but none of the bad.

@third-times-a-charm very succinctly and accurately made the exact same point I was going to make about these. The short blade length really surprised me, in a positive way. Not much offset, and the top line -- for a player's distance iron -- is pretty nice. Looks-wise, these are actually pretty comparable to my Ping i210s. Actually, they seem just a little bit smaller overall, with comparable offset and a top line that's only a tiny bit bigger.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, pdxhak said:

I have not played the 747P but I see they have wide soles. The TW-X have a pre worn leading and trailing edge that helps them get through the turf. Hopefully you enjoy the clubs when you get a chance to put them in play.

This point that @pdxhak makes is one of my favorite features -- the pre-worn leading edge. It's honestly something I wish all irons had. Even just chipping with the gap wedge, it makes a difference. 

On 2/26/2022 at 11:52 AM, SwingMan said:

The TW-X was my gateway drug to  Mizuno 223 and Ping i59

Darn those dealers...

Hey @SwingMan, I see in your signature that you've gone with the 223s for now. Sorry for the totally off-topic question in a Honma iron thread, but how would you compare the 223s and the i59s? What'd you think of the i59s? If you've already posted about this elsewhere, just throw me a link and I'll check it out there!

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9* | Tensei 1K Black 65S

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2 15* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

6-ish Wood: Ping G425 Max 7W at 19.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X

Utility: Ping iCrossover 4 | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | DG 120 S300

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw Face 54/12W, 60/8Z | DG TI S400 Black Onyx

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 6 (2021 version)

5 hours ago, eric61 said:

Hey @SwingMan, I see in your signature that you've gone with the 223s for now. Sorry for the totally off-topic question in a Honma iron thread, but how would you compare the 223s and the i59s? What'd you think of the i59s? If you've already posted about this elsewhere, just throw me a link and I'll check it out there!

The 223s have a more muted, softer feel. The i59's are more intimidating at first, and then when you hit one off the toe and it goes straight, they are not so intimidating. The i59 has a more solid, crisp feel in comparison. I would get the i59 in power spec. My son hit the i59s and took them from me, hence the reason I have the 223. I could go with either one and be happy. The problem with both is the build. Neither one of them arrived to spec or near lie or loft. And Mizuno heads were light, Ping heads were surprisingly heavy probably because they came in a lighter graphite shaft. I had the shafts on the 223 pulled, took out all the crap, adjusted loft and lie and added lead tape (Artisan did the rebuild).

I am waiting on the i230. Still take the Honma with me when traveling.

• Thanks 1

• Ping G425 4H/TPT Golf
  • Artisan 0321 Putter

4 minutes ago, SwingMan said:

The 223s have a more muted, softer feel. The i59's are more intimidating at first, and then when you hit one off the toe and it goes straight, they are not so intimidating. The i59 has a more solid, crisp feel in comparison. I would get the i59 in power spec. My son hit the i59s and took them from me, hence the reason I have the 223. I could go with either one and be happy. The problem with both is the build. Neither one of them arrived to spec or near lie or loft. And Mizuno heads were light, Ping heads were surprisingly heavy probably because they came in a lighter graphite shaft. I had the shafts on the 223 pulled, took out all the crap, adjusted loft and lie and added lead tape (Artisan did the rebuild).

I am waiting on the i230. Still take the Honma with me when traveling.

Yeah I had the same experience with the 223 heads being -- or at least feeling -- light, compared to my JPX 921 SEL. I didn't pull them and weigh them, so I can't say for sure; can only comment on the feel. I've hit the i59s and really liked them, though I hear ya on the power spec -- the 7 iron was a full club shorter for me vs. the 223, and half a club vs. the JPX 921 Tour. But I'm definitely interested in the i230s, and I'm also taking some lessons right now to work on a couple things and want to get my swing settled before another fitting/another set of irons. I'm finding that heavier is better with what I'm working on. I'm swinging an old set of MP-30s with S300s better than anything else at the moment.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9* | Tensei 1K Black 65S

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2 15* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

6-ish Wood: Ping G425 Max 7W at 19.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X

Utility: Ping iCrossover 4 | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | DG 120 S300

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw Face 54/12W, 60/8Z | DG TI S400 Black Onyx

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 6 (2021 version)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I finally put in a few rounds with the TW-X with MMT 95s.  This is a solid combination.  There is no loss in stopping power compared to the 747Ps.   When comparing irons of similar loft, the TW-X go as far as the 747Ps (except out of the rough which I'll discuss more in a bit).

The irons look great especially with the MMTs.  Killer looks!  I do notice the extra offset in the long irons vs. the 747Ps.  At least to me, the offset in the TW-X is a little amplified with the little extra thickness in the top line.  It just becomes little more noticeable.  The extra offset comes through in the shot shape; the long irons do tend to draw a bit more.  Nothing crazy though.  I think the MMTs actually help here as they play a touch stouter than the Vizard 85s in the 747Ps.  But it was mostly plug and play, I felt I didn't need much of an adjustment period to play the TW-X/MMT combination vs. the 747Ps/Vizard 85s.

In the fairway or light rough, the irons performed well.  In the heavier rough, the irons seemed to produce lower launching and lower spinning shots than the 747Ps.   I'm talking about a half club short than the 747Ps.  I tended to want to sweep the ball off the rough with these irons so I needed to make sure to really "punch" at the ball to get the shot I'm used to seeing from the 747Ps.  The extra offset does seem to help from the rough on the TW-Xs though.  Give some away in some aspects, take it back in others.  All in all, these clubs will be great as backups.

Now, I may just have to re-shaft the 747Ps into MMT 95s!

• 1 month later...

I know these irons have a bit of a cult following, as the posts in this thread illuminate, so just noting that Pro Clubs on EBay has new 4-P sets of 2020 TW-X irons for $494 for a few more days. Not bad for a hollow body unicorn — an all-forged-but-assembled power bat with compact blade lengths and a big bottom — that feels fantastic. Another case where the previous generation of an iron was the better one. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No idea why these are not more popular. The feel of them is outstanding, the power and distance matches p790s but I think it’s a little more forgiving and overall a better club. More workable with a much shorter blade length and simply no comparison on feel. The Honma is that much better. It feels like a super-powered forged iron, because it is. 

• Like 2